|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word is used to describe the topic of the new book?
2. In which year did Galileo mail off the last pieces of the manuscript to his solicitor?
3. What emotion did Galileo experience because of the departure?
4. In which country was the book eventually printed?
5. Maria Celeste was plagued with which malady?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the beliefs and the work of Galileo and Bruno. Was Galileo inspired by Bruno? What was Bruno's main credo? What was Galileo's main credo? What was the biggest similarity between the men, professionally and personally?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the decision to put Virginia and Livia into the convent. Who made the decision? What was the main purpose for sending the girls to the convent? Was the situation meant to be temporary or permanent? Discuss their choice of names when they took vows. Discuss Maria Celeste's influence on Arcangela's choice to take her vows.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the story behind the long awaited book by Galileo, "The Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems." What were the Two Chief World Systems? What inspired the work? When was it written? How long did it take Galileo to research, compile and arrange the information in the book? Was the book objective or subjective? How was the book received by the public?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)