|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Galileo would be allowed to go home if he agreed to do what to the Dialogue?
2. Galileo communicated the news of Maria Celeste's death to his friend Elia Diodati, who lived in which major European city?
3. According to Galileo, how many "new" sciences were being introduced?
4. How many bystanders were at the meeting of Galileo and the Office of the Inquisition?
5. After the death of Maria Celeste which relative moved into Galileo's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. While the Catholics had their opinions on why Galileo was tried, the anti-Catholics also had an opinion. What was the opinion of the anti-Catholics?
2. After the trial, Galileo was released into the custody of a high ranking church official. Who was the official and where did Galileo go with that official?
3. Who issued the actual conviction in Galileo's case? What was the opinion of the Pope in this case?
4. Name one of the biggest and harshest stipulations set upon Galileo's return to Arcetri.
5. What is one of the major errors regarding the story of Galileo's trial? What do you think may have caused the mistake?
6. What was the outcome of the efforts made by Galileo and others?
7. What was Maria Celeste's reaction to the interview at the Holy Office of the Inquisition?
8. While Maria Celeste seemed to tell Galileo everything, she overlooked one important piece of news. What was the news?
9. How did Maria Celeste's death take its toll on Galileo?
10. Describe the reaction of the people upon Galileo's return to Arcetri.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the court proceedings against Galileo. Who pressed the charges? What were the charges? Was Galileo guilty? What was the punishment served on Galileo? What was the length of the sentence? What was the overall opinion of the church, the academic community, and Galileo's family? Did the punishment fit the crime?
Essay Topic 2
Galileo was a well educated man. Galileo served in many capacities in the communities in which he lived, including holding at least two professorships in Padua and Pisa. Discuss Galileo's influence and legacy placed upon each university. How did Galileo's legacy affect VIncenzio's studies at the university?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept and creation of Galileo's "Treatise on the Tides." Why was the work so important? What was the collective opinion of Galileo's colleagues? How did Galileo feel about the finished product? What was the main theme of the book? Did Galileo introduce anything new to the scientific community?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)