|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cardinals would preside over Galileo's trial?
2. Which item is not mentioned in the observations on gravity?
3. It is erroneously reported that Galileo was tried in which year?
4. Maria Celeste continued to worry about the state of Galileo's ______.
5. The book would show observations and theories that went directly against the teachings of which famous man?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Maria Celeste seemed to tell Galileo everything, she overlooked one important piece of news. What was the news?
2. How did Maria Celeste's death take its toll on Galileo?
3. Describe at least one of the things Galileo did to pass the time while staying in Siena.
4. What was the reason Pope Urban finally permitted Galileo to return to Arcetri?
5. What is one of the major errors regarding the story of Galileo's trial? What do you think may have caused the mistake?
6. Detail at least one of Galileo's bouts with depression. How did Maria Celeste try to combat the depression?
7. What was the focus of Galileo's work in his last eight years? What problem continued to hang over Galileo's head, most certainly affecting his work and his health?
8. Instead of informing Maria Celeste of all the happenings in Rome, Galileo spent his time doing other things. List at least one of the other things that occupied Galileo's time.
9. Galileo began to work on a book involving the theories of motion. Discuss the concept for the book and its relationship to Aristotle's earlier teachings.
10. What was one of the main concerns of Galileo and Maria Celeste while Galileo was in Rome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Galileo was a well educated man. Galileo served in many capacities in the communities in which he lived, including holding at least two professorships in Padua and Pisa. Discuss Galileo's influence and legacy placed upon each university. How did Galileo's legacy affect VIncenzio's studies at the university?
Essay Topic 2
In 1600, Cardinal Bruno was burned at the stake. Why was the cardinal killed? What was the official crime? Write a 1000-word essay on the Cardinal Bruno. Who was he? Where did he fit into the story? Examine the Cardinal's work and conflict with the Church. Explain the irony and connection to Galileo.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the story behind the long awaited book by Galileo, "The Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems." What were the Two Chief World Systems? What inspired the work? When was it written? How long did it take Galileo to research, compile and arrange the information in the book? Was the book objective or subjective? How was the book received by the public?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)