|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The nuns at the convent rejoiced with the news of Galileo's impending return. Which of the nuns ran to Maria Celeste crying with joy?
2. in what months did the height of the problem hit?
3. What was the name of the high ranking member of the church that took "custody" of Galileo after the trial?
4. Maria Celeste hoped fervently that the Pope and others would dismiss the trial once they realized the extent of Galileo's _____.
5. Where was this person's final destination?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the trial, Galileo was released into the custody of a high ranking church official. Who was the official and where did Galileo go with that official?
2. While the Catholics had their opinions on why Galileo was tried, the anti-Catholics also had an opinion. What was the opinion of the anti-Catholics?
3. Detail at least one of Galileo's bouts with depression. How did Maria Celeste try to combat the depression?
4. What was Galileo's hope regarding the outcome of the trial. Did Galileo's wish come true?
5. Who issued the actual conviction in Galileo's case? What was the opinion of the Pope in this case?
6. Describe at least one of the things Galileo did to pass the time while staying in Siena.
7. The illness prevented Maria Celeste from doing two very important things. What were they? What was the result?
8. What was the plea sent from Niccolini to the Poe on behalf of Galileo?
9. What was the reason Pope Urban finally permitted Galileo to return to Arcetri?
10. By this time Galileo had become blind in one eye and was plagued with poor vision in the other. How did Galileo manage to work with this affliction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Galileo's Dialogues are often referred to as a journal of sorts. The dialogues contain some fiction along with science and an accounting of Galileo's activities. Write a synopsis of the Dialogues. Include references to famous people of the day.
Essay Topic 2
Galileo suffered from several afflictions as he got older. Many of those afflictions were treated by Maria Celeste. Explain Galileo's afflictions. Which was the worst? Was any one of the afflictions fatal or terminal? Explain. How was Maria Celeste able to help her father? Did the remedies help? Where did Galileo spend his last days? What eventually killed Galileo?
Essay Topic 3
At a young age, Galileo showed amazing aptitude for math. What about math interested Galileo? What prompted Galileo to switch from math to astronomy? Was it a wise move? What were the opinions of those around Galileo regarding the change? What do you think might have happened if Galileo would have pursued a care in mathematics? How did the knowledge benefit Galileo in other ways?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)