|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Geri Bocchineri commented that the death of Maria Celeste was a true case of what?
2. Maria Celeste continued to worry about the state of Galileo's ______.
3. What word did Galileo use to describe Maria Celeste's mind?
4. Which Pope approved the Edict of 1616?
5. At this time Galileo was living in which town or city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reaction of the people upon Galileo's return to Arcetri.
2. Instead of informing Maria Celeste of all the happenings in Rome, Galileo spent his time doing other things. List at least one of the other things that occupied Galileo's time.
3. What is one of the major errors regarding the story of Galileo's trial? What do you think may have caused the mistake?
4. Discuss the illness contracted by Maria Celeste in March 1634. How was the illness contracted?
5. Describe at least one of the things Galileo did to pass the time while staying in Siena.
6. Once again the weather wreaked havoc on Galileo and Maria Celeste. Explain how each was affected by the autumn rains.
7. While the Catholics had their opinions on why Galileo was tried, the anti-Catholics also had an opinion. What was the opinion of the anti-Catholics?
8. Detail at least one of Galileo's bouts with depression. How did Maria Celeste try to combat the depression?
9. What was Maria Celeste's reaction to the interview at the Holy Office of the Inquisition?
10. Describe at least one of the requirements Galileo had to fulfill in order to return to Arcetri.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were many differences between Galileo and his son, Vincenzio. Write a 500 word essay on Vincenzio. Include his education, relationship with his family, and contributions to science.
Essay Topic 2
Livia and Virginia remained illegitimate, even though Galileo claimed the daughters as his own. Vincenzio, on the other hand, was legitimized by the Church. Why? Explain why Vincenzio was treated differently. What did it mean to be "legitimized?" How did it affect Vincenzio's career? How did the act change Galileo's career?
Essay Topic 3
One of Galileo's most famous experiments took place at the Leaning Tower of Pisa. What was the experiment? What did the experiment prove? Who inspired the experiment and/or was inspired by it? Do the results of the experiment still hold true today? Explain.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)