|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who left Galileo's presence at this time, much to Galileo's objection?
2. What was the name of the woman's son?
3. Galileo would be allowed to go home if he agreed to do what to the Dialogue?
4. Anti-Catholics objected to the Pope rejecting Galileo's work solely on:
5. What word is used to describe a long and arduous process?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the reason Pope Urban finally permitted Galileo to return to Arcetri?
2. Name one of the biggest and harshest stipulations set upon Galileo's return to Arcetri.
3. Galileo began to work on a book involving the theories of motion. Discuss the concept for the book and its relationship to Aristotle's earlier teachings.
4. What was one of the main concerns of Galileo and Maria Celeste while Galileo was in Rome?
5. In what year was the ban against the Dialogue officially lifted?
6. Instead of informing Maria Celeste of all the happenings in Rome, Galileo spent his time doing other things. List at least one of the other things that occupied Galileo's time.
7. By this time Galileo had become blind in one eye and was plagued with poor vision in the other. How did Galileo manage to work with this affliction?
8. Detail at least one of Galileo's bouts with depression. How did Maria Celeste try to combat the depression?
9. Who was not present at the interview? Why?
10. What was the outcome of the efforts made by Galileo and others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the life of the nuns at San Matteo. How does the convent compare with today's convents? Is the order still in existence? If so, where? What influence did Maria Celeste have on the convent? Compare and contrast the views and experiences of the sisters.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Galileo and Marina Gamba. Why was the couple never married? Were there class or religious barriers that might have prevented a marriage? Explain. How did the families feel about the relationship? Was that type of relationship unusual at the time? What was the opinion of the Church on the relationship? How did it affect the children? Did the relationship affect Galileo's career?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept and creation of Galileo's "Treatise on the Tides." Why was the work so important? What was the collective opinion of Galileo's colleagues? How did Galileo feel about the finished product? What was the main theme of the book? Did Galileo introduce anything new to the scientific community?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)