|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Pope's office?
2. Which Pope approved the Edict of 1616?
3. In this year, Maria Celeste was once again considered for which high level position at San Matteo?
4. Maria Celeste tended to write long letters to Galileo on which day of the week?
5. What was the name of the doctor that cared for Maria Celeste?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Galileo was a well educated man. Galileo served in many capacities in the communities in which he lived, including holding at least two professorships in Padua and Pisa. Discuss Galileo's influence and legacy placed upon each university. How did Galileo's legacy affect VIncenzio's studies at the university?
Essay Topic 2
Galileo was charged with blasphemy and heresy. What is the definition of each? Do both apply to Galileo? Who decides if someone is guilty of either or both? What is the punishment? Is the punishment set forth by the government or Church? Give examples of how Galileo allegedly committed either or both of the crimes. List the specific reason cited in the trial, proof, and outcome.
Essay Topic 3
One of Galileo's most famous experiments took place at the Leaning Tower of Pisa. What was the experiment? What did the experiment prove? Who inspired the experiment and/or was inspired by it? Do the results of the experiment still hold true today? Explain.
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)