|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aristotle believed that mathematicians focused on what type of questions?
2. What is the name of the monastery that could have been used to contain Galileo after he left SIena?
3. In what country was the book finally published?
4. In 1633, the nuns complained of the excessive ____.
5. While being forced to stay in Rome Galileo gave power of attorney to which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was not present at the interview? Why?
2. What was Galileo's hope regarding the outcome of the trial. Did Galileo's wish come true?
3. Detail at least one of Galileo's bouts with depression. How did Maria Celeste try to combat the depression?
4. How long did Galileo have to stay in Rome before he was granted an audience at the Holy Office?
5. Describe at least one of the things Galileo did to pass the time while staying in Siena.
6. What was the outcome of the efforts made by Galileo and others?
7. What was one of the main concerns of Galileo and Maria Celeste while Galileo was in Rome?
8. In Part Four, Galileo had to return to Rome to be tried for his crimes against the Church. Explain who was on Galileo's side to support him.
9. Name one of the biggest and harshest stipulations set upon Galileo's return to Arcetri.
10. By this time Galileo had become blind in one eye and was plagued with poor vision in the other. How did Galileo manage to work with this affliction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Galileo and Marina Gamba. Why was the couple never married? Were there class or religious barriers that might have prevented a marriage? Explain. How did the families feel about the relationship? Was that type of relationship unusual at the time? What was the opinion of the Church on the relationship? How did it affect the children? Did the relationship affect Galileo's career?
Essay Topic 2
There were many differences between Galileo and his son, Vincenzio. Write a 500 word essay on Vincenzio. Include his education, relationship with his family, and contributions to science.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the decision to put Virginia and Livia into the convent. Who made the decision? What was the main purpose for sending the girls to the convent? Was the situation meant to be temporary or permanent? Discuss their choice of names when they took vows. Discuss Maria Celeste's influence on Arcangela's choice to take her vows.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)