Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word is used to describe the topic of the new book?
2. In which year did Galileo mail off the last pieces of the manuscript to his solicitor?
3. What emotion did Galileo experience because of the departure?
4. In which country was the book eventually printed?
5. Maria Celeste was plagued with which malady?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept and creation of Galileo's "Treatise on the Tides." Why was the work so important? What was the collective opinion of Galileo's colleagues? How did Galileo feel about the finished product? What was the main theme of the book? Did Galileo introduce anything new to the scientific community?
Essay Topic 2
Write a detailed biography on the Medici family. Why was the family so powerful? What was Galileo's relationship with the Medicis? Did the relationship help or hinder Galileo's career and issues with the Pope? Also explain the effect of the Medicis in Padua and the surrounding region.
Essay Topic 3
Livia and Virginia remained illegitimate, even though Galileo claimed the daughters as his own. Vincenzio, on the other hand, was legitimized by the Church. Why? Explain why Vincenzio was treated differently. What did it mean to be "legitimized?" How did it affect Vincenzio's career? How did the act change Galileo's career?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)