|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If Galileo was able to prove that science had a legitimate place in the world, the Pope would no longer appear to be:
2. What word did Galileo use to describe Maria Celeste's mind?
3. At this time Galileo was living in which town or city?
4. Which item is not mentioned in the observations on gravity?
5. Which of the following was not one of the reasons given to the Pope by Niccolini?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Maria Celeste seemed to tell Galileo everything, she overlooked one important piece of news. What was the news?
2. Galileo began to work on a book involving the theories of motion. Discuss the concept for the book and its relationship to Aristotle's earlier teachings.
3. Once again the weather wreaked havoc on Galileo and Maria Celeste. Explain how each was affected by the autumn rains.
4. What was one of the main concerns of Galileo and Maria Celeste while Galileo was in Rome?
5. While the Catholics had their opinions on why Galileo was tried, the anti-Catholics also had an opinion. What was the opinion of the anti-Catholics?
6. In Part Four, Galileo had to return to Rome to be tried for his crimes against the Church. Explain who was on Galileo's side to support him.
7. What was the reason Pope Urban finally permitted Galileo to return to Arcetri?
8. Who issued the actual conviction in Galileo's case? What was the opinion of the Pope in this case?
9. How did Maria Celeste's death take its toll on Galileo?
10. In what year was the ban against the Dialogue officially lifted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Livia and Virginia remained illegitimate, even though Galileo claimed the daughters as his own. Vincenzio, on the other hand, was legitimized by the Church. Why? Explain why Vincenzio was treated differently. What did it mean to be "legitimized?" How did it affect Vincenzio's career? How did the act change Galileo's career?
Essay Topic 2
Galileo is best known for his work with the telescope. Create a diagram of the first telescope and outline how it worked. Was the concept entirely new or was it a refinement of an earlier work? Who was most impressed by the telescope? What did the discovery do for Galileo's career? Draw a second diagram of a modern telescope and note improvements over Galileo's model.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the decision to put Virginia and Livia into the convent. Who made the decision? What was the main purpose for sending the girls to the convent? Was the situation meant to be temporary or permanent? Discuss their choice of names when they took vows. Discuss Maria Celeste's influence on Arcangela's choice to take her vows.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)