|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. in what months did the height of the problem hit?
2. Maria Celeste hoped fervently that the Pope and others would dismiss the trial once they realized the extent of Galileo's _____.
3. Who left Galileo's presence at this time, much to Galileo's objection?
4. Maria Celeste sent regular letters to her father, often enclosing prayers on which topic?
5. Galileo managed to maintain friendships with powerful people, including which of the following?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Galileo and Marina Gamba. Why was the couple never married? Were there class or religious barriers that might have prevented a marriage? Explain. How did the families feel about the relationship? Was that type of relationship unusual at the time? What was the opinion of the Church on the relationship? How did it affect the children? Did the relationship affect Galileo's career?
Essay Topic 2
There were many differences between Galileo and his son, Vincenzio. Write a 500 word essay on Vincenzio. Include his education, relationship with his family, and contributions to science.
Essay Topic 3
Galileo is best known for his work with the telescope. Create a diagram of the first telescope and outline how it worked. Was the concept entirely new or was it a refinement of an earlier work? Who was most impressed by the telescope? What did the discovery do for Galileo's career? Draw a second diagram of a modern telescope and note improvements over Galileo's model.
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)