|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the standard title given to nuns at the convent?
2. What word is used to indicate a joyous celebration?
3. Which of the following was a major contributor to Galileo's death?
4. Galileo revisited the possibility of publishing which book despite Pope Urban's objection?
5. Galileo was ordered to cease which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. By this time Galileo had become blind in one eye and was plagued with poor vision in the other. How did Galileo manage to work with this affliction?
2. What is one of the major errors regarding the story of Galileo's trial? What do you think may have caused the mistake?
3. Describe at least one of the requirements Galileo had to fulfill in order to return to Arcetri.
4. While the Catholics had their opinions on why Galileo was tried, the anti-Catholics also had an opinion. What was the opinion of the anti-Catholics?
5. Describe at least one of the things Galileo did to pass the time while staying in Siena.
6. Who was not present at the interview? Why?
7. While Maria Celeste seemed to tell Galileo everything, she overlooked one important piece of news. What was the news?
8. Detail at least one of Galileo's bouts with depression. How did Maria Celeste try to combat the depression?
9. In what year was the ban against the Dialogue officially lifted?
10. What was the focus of Galileo's work in his last eight years? What problem continued to hang over Galileo's head, most certainly affecting his work and his health?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Galileo and Marina Gamba. Why was the couple never married? Were there class or religious barriers that might have prevented a marriage? Explain. How did the families feel about the relationship? Was that type of relationship unusual at the time? What was the opinion of the Church on the relationship? How did it affect the children? Did the relationship affect Galileo's career?
Essay Topic 2
Galileo was a well educated man. Galileo served in many capacities in the communities in which he lived, including holding at least two professorships in Padua and Pisa. Discuss Galileo's influence and legacy placed upon each university. How did Galileo's legacy affect VIncenzio's studies at the university?
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail the life of the nuns at San Matteo. How does the convent compare with today's convents? Is the order still in existence? If so, where? What influence did Maria Celeste have on the convent? Compare and contrast the views and experiences of the sisters.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)