|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the woman's son?
2. How many years did Galileo live after the death of Maria Celeste?
3. Although the Dialogue was never legally banned, its printing was ______.
4. Maria Celeste managed to keep informed of Galileo's trials with the help of which family member's brother?
5. The nuns at the convent rejoiced with the news of Galileo's impending return. Which of the nuns ran to Maria Celeste crying with joy?
Short Essay Questions
1. While the Catholics had their opinions on why Galileo was tried, the anti-Catholics also had an opinion. What was the opinion of the anti-Catholics?
2. What was Galileo's hope regarding the outcome of the trial. Did Galileo's wish come true?
3. In what year was the ban against the Dialogue officially lifted?
4. The sisters at San Matteo continued to pray for Galileo. What was the reaction at the convent when it was learned Galileo would soon be back in Arcetri?
5. Who issued the actual conviction in Galileo's case? What was the opinion of the Pope in this case?
6. What was the focus of Galileo's work in his last eight years? What problem continued to hang over Galileo's head, most certainly affecting his work and his health?
7. How did Maria Celeste's death take its toll on Galileo?
8. The illness prevented Maria Celeste from doing two very important things. What were they? What was the result?
9. Name one of the biggest and harshest stipulations set upon Galileo's return to Arcetri.
10. What was Maria Celeste's reaction to the interview at the Holy Office of the Inquisition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Livia and Virginia remained illegitimate, even though Galileo claimed the daughters as his own. Vincenzio, on the other hand, was legitimized by the Church. Why? Explain why Vincenzio was treated differently. What did it mean to be "legitimized?" How did it affect Vincenzio's career? How did the act change Galileo's career?
Essay Topic 2
In 1600, Cardinal Bruno was burned at the stake. Why was the cardinal killed? What was the official crime? Write a 1000-word essay on the Cardinal Bruno. Who was he? Where did he fit into the story? Examine the Cardinal's work and conflict with the Church. Explain the irony and connection to Galileo.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail the court proceedings against Galileo. Who pressed the charges? What were the charges? Was Galileo guilty? What was the punishment served on Galileo? What was the length of the sentence? What was the overall opinion of the church, the academic community, and Galileo's family? Did the punishment fit the crime?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)