|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Galileo's official position with the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
2. What word is used by Niccolini that means the same thing as "interfered?"
3. In which century was the monastery built?
4. What word is used to reference a report issued by the office to important officials?
5. After the death of Maria Celeste which relative moved into Galileo's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe at least one of the requirements Galileo had to fulfill in order to return to Arcetri.
2. Discuss the illness contracted by Maria Celeste in March 1634. How was the illness contracted?
3. Once again the weather wreaked havoc on Galileo and Maria Celeste. Explain how each was affected by the autumn rains.
4. What was the reason Pope Urban finally permitted Galileo to return to Arcetri?
5. What was the focus of Galileo's work in his last eight years? What problem continued to hang over Galileo's head, most certainly affecting his work and his health?
6. Who was not present at the interview? Why?
7. By this time Galileo had become blind in one eye and was plagued with poor vision in the other. How did Galileo manage to work with this affliction?
8. In what year was the ban against the Dialogue officially lifted?
9. What was Maria Celeste's reaction to the interview at the Holy Office of the Inquisition?
10. Detail at least one of Galileo's bouts with depression. How did Maria Celeste try to combat the depression?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At a young age, Galileo showed amazing aptitude for math. What about math interested Galileo? What prompted Galileo to switch from math to astronomy? Was it a wise move? What were the opinions of those around Galileo regarding the change? What do you think might have happened if Galileo would have pursued a care in mathematics? How did the knowledge benefit Galileo in other ways?
Essay Topic 2
There is a great deal written about Copernicus in the book. Who was Copernicus? Why was Galileo fascinated by him? What discoveries did Copernicus make? How do Galileo and Copernicus compare in regards to their scientific works? Write a 750 word biography on Copernicus.
Essay Topic 3
There were many differences between Galileo and his son, Vincenzio. Write a 500 word essay on Vincenzio. Include his education, relationship with his family, and contributions to science.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)