|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Galileo would be allowed to go home if he agreed to do what to the Dialogue?
2. Galileo was plagued with which affliction?
3. Aristotle believed that mathematicians focused on what type of questions?
4. What illness would eventually cause Maria Celeste's death?
5. According to Galileo, how many "new" sciences were being introduced?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part Four, Galileo had to return to Rome to be tried for his crimes against the Church. Explain who was on Galileo's side to support him.
2. Galileo began to work on a book involving the theories of motion. Discuss the concept for the book and its relationship to Aristotle's earlier teachings.
3. The sisters at San Matteo continued to pray for Galileo. What was the reaction at the convent when it was learned Galileo would soon be back in Arcetri?
4. In what year was the ban against the Dialogue officially lifted?
5. Describe at least one of the requirements Galileo had to fulfill in order to return to Arcetri.
6. The illness prevented Maria Celeste from doing two very important things. What were they? What was the result?
7. Instead of informing Maria Celeste of all the happenings in Rome, Galileo spent his time doing other things. List at least one of the other things that occupied Galileo's time.
8. Detail at least one of Galileo's bouts with depression. How did Maria Celeste try to combat the depression?
9. While Maria Celeste seemed to tell Galileo everything, she overlooked one important piece of news. What was the news?
10. What was the plea sent from Niccolini to the Poe on behalf of Galileo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of Galileo's most famous experiments took place at the Leaning Tower of Pisa. What was the experiment? What did the experiment prove? Who inspired the experiment and/or was inspired by it? Do the results of the experiment still hold true today? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the beliefs and the work of Galileo and Bruno. Was Galileo inspired by Bruno? What was Bruno's main credo? What was Galileo's main credo? What was the biggest similarity between the men, professionally and personally?
Essay Topic 3
Write a detailed biography on the Medici family. Why was the family so powerful? What was Galileo's relationship with the Medicis? Did the relationship help or hinder Galileo's career and issues with the Pope? Also explain the effect of the Medicis in Padua and the surrounding region.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)