|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which royal figure was the work dedicated?
2. What was the name of the town where the convent was located?
3. What was the affectionate nickname of this contact?
4. How old was Maria Celeste when she entered the convent?
5. What new law began to frighten many of Galileo's colleagues?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the name of the Pope elected in Part 2? When was the Pope elected? What was his former identity?
2. Explain the first experience with a telescope. Also explain what it meant to the future study of the galaxy.
3. When the Galilei children were small, Galileo held two similar jobs in the math and science fields. What were the jobs and where were they? Why were the jobs unusual?
4. Discuss the arrival of "Treatise on the Tides." How long did it take to write the important work? To whom was the work dedicated?
5. Explain the opening letter in "Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel. Who was the writer? What was the subject?
6. Who was announced as being the new Grand Duke of Tuscany? In what year was he installed as Grand Duke? To which famous family was the new Duke related?
7. Urban was highly impressed with Galileo's work. Which new work struck the Pope as being brilliant? What did Galileo write in the dedication?
8. How severe was the presence of the plague in Rome in the 1600s? When was the worst period in history for the plague? How does Sobel refer to the returning plague?
9. Who were the other two Galilei children? What was their place in the family?
10. Why did Galileo have to go through regular channels if the Pope approved of the work? Who was responsible for issuing the printing licenses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Galileo's Dialogues are often referred to as a journal of sorts. The dialogues contain some fiction along with science and an accounting of Galileo's activities. Write a synopsis of the Dialogues. Include references to famous people of the day.
Essay Topic 2
Galileo was a well educated man. Galileo served in many capacities in the communities in which he lived, including holding at least two professorships in Padua and Pisa. Discuss Galileo's influence and legacy placed upon each university. How did Galileo's legacy affect VIncenzio's studies at the university?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the beliefs and the work of Galileo and Bruno. Was Galileo inspired by Bruno? What was Bruno's main credo? What was Galileo's main credo? What was the biggest similarity between the men, professionally and personally?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)