|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Galileo's brother?
2. What word was used to describe Maria Celeste?
3. Officials from which region would be responsible for approving Galileo's manuscript?
4. What name did the second daughter adopt?
5. How old was Maria Celeste when she took her vows?
Short Essay Questions
1. Detail at least one of Galileo's bouts with depression. How did Maria Celeste try to combat the depression?
2. While Maria Celeste seemed to tell Galileo everything, she overlooked one important piece of news. What was the news?
3. In what year was the ban against the Dialogue officially lifted?
4. Once again the weather wreaked havoc on Galileo and Maria Celeste. Explain how each was affected by the autumn rains.
5. Which scientist most influenced the work of Galileo? What was Galileo's intention with his experiments?
6. Who issued the actual conviction in Galileo's case? What was the opinion of the Pope in this case?
7. By this time Galileo had become blind in one eye and was plagued with poor vision in the other. How did Galileo manage to work with this affliction?
8. Explain the opening letter in "Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel. Who was the writer? What was the subject?
9. Discuss some of the complaints the Galileis had regarding various illnesses.
10. Describe the reaction of the people upon Galileo's return to Arcetri.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were many differences between Galileo and his son, Vincenzio. Write a 500 word essay on Vincenzio. Include his education, relationship with his family, and contributions to science.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail the court proceedings against Galileo. Who pressed the charges? What were the charges? Was Galileo guilty? What was the punishment served on Galileo? What was the length of the sentence? What was the overall opinion of the church, the academic community, and Galileo's family? Did the punishment fit the crime?
Essay Topic 3
There is a great deal written about Copernicus in the book. Who was Copernicus? Why was Galileo fascinated by him? What discoveries did Copernicus make? How do Galileo and Copernicus compare in regards to their scientific works? Write a 750 word biography on Copernicus.
This section contains 1,640 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)