Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Galileo stay in Rome?
2. Who would have the final say on the approval of the book?
3. Which of the following was the main carrier of disease at this time?
4. In 1627, Italy was on the brink of which upcoming skirmish?
5. What is another name for a nun's living quarters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Galileo's first trip to Rome to meet with Urban. Also discuss Galileo's friendship with Prince Cesi.
2. Discuss the eruption of the Thirty Years War, how it affected Rome, and who was involved.
3. Describe at least one of the things Galileo did to pass the time while staying in Siena.
4. What is one of the major errors regarding the story of Galileo's trial? What do you think may have caused the mistake?
5. Which scientist most influenced the work of Galileo? What was Galileo's intention with his experiments?
6. While Maria Celeste seemed to tell Galileo everything, she overlooked one important piece of news. What was the news?
7. When did Virginia take her vows? Where did she get the name Maria Celeste?
8. Once again the weather wreaked havoc on Galileo and Maria Celeste. Explain how each was affected by the autumn rains.
9. What was the plea sent from Niccolini to the Poe on behalf of Galileo?
10. What was one of the main concerns of Galileo and Maria Celeste while Galileo was in Rome?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept and creation of Galileo's "Treatise on the Tides." Why was the work so important? What was the collective opinion of Galileo's colleagues? How did Galileo feel about the finished product? What was the main theme of the book? Did Galileo introduce anything new to the scientific community?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the story behind the long awaited book by Galileo, "The Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems." What were the Two Chief World Systems? What inspired the work? When was it written? How long did it take Galileo to research, compile and arrange the information in the book? Was the book objective or subjective? How was the book received by the public?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the beliefs and the work of Galileo and Bruno. Was Galileo inspired by Bruno? What was Bruno's main credo? What was Galileo's main credo? What was the biggest similarity between the men, professionally and personally?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)