Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Galileo stay in Rome?
2. Who would have the final say on the approval of the book?
3. Which of the following was the main carrier of disease at this time?
4. In 1627, Italy was on the brink of which upcoming skirmish?
5. What is another name for a nun's living quarters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Galileo's first trip to Rome to meet with Urban. Also discuss Galileo's friendship with Prince Cesi.
2. Discuss the eruption of the Thirty Years War, how it affected Rome, and who was involved.
3. Describe at least one of the things Galileo did to pass the time while staying in Siena.
4. What is one of the major errors regarding the story of Galileo's trial? What do you think may have caused the mistake?
5. Which scientist most influenced the work of Galileo? What was Galileo's intention with his experiments?
6. While Maria Celeste seemed to tell Galileo everything, she overlooked one important piece of news. What was the news?
7. When did Virginia take her vows? Where did she get the name Maria Celeste?
8. Once again the weather wreaked havoc on Galileo and Maria Celeste. Explain how each was affected by the autumn rains.
9. What was the plea sent from Niccolini to the Poe on behalf of Galileo?
10. What was one of the main concerns of Galileo and Maria Celeste while Galileo was in Rome?
Write a detailed biography on the Medici family. Why was the family so powerful? What was Galileo's relationship with the Medicis? Did the relationship help or hinder Galileo's career and issues with the Pope? Also explain the effect of the Medicis in Padua and the surrounding region.
Examine the story behind the long awaited book by Galileo, "The Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems." What were the Two Chief World Systems? What inspired the work? When was it written? How long did it take Galileo to research, compile and arrange the information in the book? Was the book objective or subjective? How was the book received by the public?
Describe in detail the life of the nuns at San Matteo. How does the convent compare with today's convents? Is the order still in existence? If so, where? What influence did Maria Celeste have on the convent? Compare and contrast the views and experiences of the sisters.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)