|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who would have the final say on the approval of the book?
2. Galileo left his son with Marina and took his daughters to which Italian city?
3. When Galileo finished with his work, he sent it to Maria Celeste who would painstakingly _______ it.
4. What is another name for a nun's living quarters?
5. Maria Celeste took on the role of teacher in which area?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which scientist most influenced the work of Galileo? What was Galileo's intention with his experiments?
2. Discuss some of the complaints the Galileis had regarding various illnesses.
3. Name at least one of the major issues faced by Urban in his new position as Pope. How did Urban respond?
4. What was the Grand Duke's plan to stop the plague from spreading even further?
5. What was the purpose of Galileo's next trip to Rome? Who did he see?
6. What were the accolades and criticisms following Pope Urban's inauguration?
7. Explain the opening letter in "Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel. Who was the writer? What was the subject?
8. What did Galileo send to Urban as soon as it was proper to do so? What was Galileo's hope in regards to a new relationship with an old friend?
9. What was the major difference in the opportunities given to Vincenzio as opposed to those given to Maria Celeste and Arcangela?
10. What significant event took place during Galileo's time in Rome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Livia and Virginia remained illegitimate, even though Galileo claimed the daughters as his own. Vincenzio, on the other hand, was legitimized by the Church. Why? Explain why Vincenzio was treated differently. What did it mean to be "legitimized?" How did it affect Vincenzio's career? How did the act change Galileo's career?
Essay Topic 2
Galileo suffered from several afflictions as he got older. Many of those afflictions were treated by Maria Celeste. Explain Galileo's afflictions. Which was the worst? Was any one of the afflictions fatal or terminal? Explain. How was Maria Celeste able to help her father? Did the remedies help? Where did Galileo spend his last days? What eventually killed Galileo?
Essay Topic 3
Galileo was a well educated man. Galileo served in many capacities in the communities in which he lived, including holding at least two professorships in Padua and Pisa. Discuss Galileo's influence and legacy placed upon each university. How did Galileo's legacy affect VIncenzio's studies at the university?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)