Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Galileo stay in Rome?
2. Who would have the final say on the approval of the book?
3. Which of the following was the main carrier of disease at this time?
4. In 1627, Italy was on the brink of which upcoming skirmish?
5. What is another name for a nun's living quarters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Galileo's first trip to Rome to meet with Urban. Also discuss Galileo's friendship with Prince Cesi.
2. Discuss the eruption of the Thirty Years War, how it affected Rome, and who was involved.
3. Describe at least one of the things Galileo did to pass the time while staying in Siena.
4. What is one of the major errors regarding the story of Galileo's trial? What do you think may have caused the mistake?
5. Which scientist most influenced the work of Galileo? What was Galileo's intention with his experiments?
6. While Maria Celeste seemed to tell Galileo everything, she overlooked one important piece of news. What was the news?
7. When did Virginia take her vows? Where did she get the name Maria Celeste?
8. Once again the weather wreaked havoc on Galileo and Maria Celeste. Explain how each was affected by the autumn rains.
9. What was the plea sent from Niccolini to the Poe on behalf of Galileo?
10. What was one of the main concerns of Galileo and Maria Celeste while Galileo was in Rome?
Essay Topic 1
One of Galileo's most famous experiments took place at the Leaning Tower of Pisa. What was the experiment? What did the experiment prove? Who inspired the experiment and/or was inspired by it? Do the results of the experiment still hold true today? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Galileo's Dialogues are often referred to as a journal of sorts. The dialogues contain some fiction along with science and an accounting of Galileo's activities. Write a synopsis of the Dialogues. Include references to famous people of the day.
Essay Topic 3
Galileo is best known for his work with the telescope. Create a diagram of the first telescope and outline how it worked. Was the concept entirely new or was it a refinement of an earlier work? Who was most impressed by the telescope? What did the discovery do for Galileo's career? Draw a second diagram of a modern telescope and note improvements over Galileo's model.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)