|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the famous and extremely powerful family from that country?
2. In 1630, approximately _____ Florentines died from disease?
3. Early the next year, a quarantine that would last ______ days was put into effect.
4. For some unknown reason Galileo did not save all of Maria Celeste's letters during that year. How many letters did Galileo manage to save?
5. When Galileo arrived in Rome, he was lodged at which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. How severe was the presence of the plague in Rome in the 1600s? When was the worst period in history for the plague? How does Sobel refer to the returning plague?
2. What did Galileo send to Urban as soon as it was proper to do so? What was Galileo's hope in regards to a new relationship with an old friend?
3. What significant event took place during Galileo's time in Rome?
4. Who were the other two Galilei children? What was their place in the family?
5. Galileo suffered a tragedy shortly after the trip to Rome. What was the tragedy? What caused it?
6. Discuss the eruption of the Thirty Years War, how it affected Rome, and who was involved.
7. Discuss Galileo's first trip to Rome to meet with Urban. Also discuss Galileo's friendship with Prince Cesi.
8. Urban was highly impressed with Galileo's work. Which new work struck the Pope as being brilliant? What did Galileo write in the dedication?
9. What was the Grand Duke's plan to stop the plague from spreading even further?
10. What is the structure of the book? How many letters are there in total?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the life of the nuns at San Matteo. How does the convent compare with today's convents? Is the order still in existence? If so, where? What influence did Maria Celeste have on the convent? Compare and contrast the views and experiences of the sisters.
Essay Topic 2
Galileo was charged with blasphemy and heresy. What is the definition of each? Do both apply to Galileo? Who decides if someone is guilty of either or both? What is the punishment? Is the punishment set forth by the government or Church? Give examples of how Galileo allegedly committed either or both of the crimes. List the specific reason cited in the trial, proof, and outcome.
Essay Topic 3
One of Galileo's most famous experiments took place at the Leaning Tower of Pisa. What was the experiment? What did the experiment prove? Who inspired the experiment and/or was inspired by it? Do the results of the experiment still hold true today? Explain.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)