|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1630, approximately _____ Florentines died from disease?
2. Which Pope was often referred to as the "Poet Pope?"
3. Which type of clock was invented by Galileo and another person?
4. Galileo planned to make a detour on the way to the Vatican to visit his old friend:
5. Galileo went to work in the court of which royal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Grand Duke's plan to stop the plague from spreading even further?
2. In addition to helping Galileo with the printing license, other benefits came from his relationship with Caterina. What were the benefits?
3. When the Galilei children were small, Galileo held two similar jobs in the math and science fields. What were the jobs and where were they? Why were the jobs unusual?
4. What was the name of the Pope elected in Part 2? When was the Pope elected? What was his former identity?
5. What was the purpose of Galileo's next trip to Rome? Who did he see?
6. Why do you think Maria Celeste had such a special bond with her father, aside from her position in the family?
7. What did Galileo send to Urban as soon as it was proper to do so? What was Galileo's hope in regards to a new relationship with an old friend?
8. Explain the invention of the pendulum clock and how it came about. What happened to the invention?
9. When did Virginia take her vows? Where did she get the name Maria Celeste?
10. What were the accolades and criticisms following Pope Urban's inauguration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the decision to put Virginia and Livia into the convent. Who made the decision? What was the main purpose for sending the girls to the convent? Was the situation meant to be temporary or permanent? Discuss their choice of names when they took vows. Discuss Maria Celeste's influence on Arcangela's choice to take her vows.
Essay Topic 2
Galileo was a well educated man. Galileo served in many capacities in the communities in which he lived, including holding at least two professorships in Padua and Pisa. Discuss Galileo's influence and legacy placed upon each university. How did Galileo's legacy affect VIncenzio's studies at the university?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the beliefs and the work of Galileo and Bruno. Was Galileo inspired by Bruno? What was Bruno's main credo? What was Galileo's main credo? What was the biggest similarity between the men, professionally and personally?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)