|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the place Maria Celeste worked at the convent?
2. What was the name of the town where the convent was located?
3. The son was intended to complete his education at a university in which city?
4. What was the name of Galileo's host?
5. When Galileo arrived in Rome, he was lodged at which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the purpose of Galileo's next trip to Rome? Who did he see?
2. Detail at least one of Galileo's bouts with depression. How did Maria Celeste try to combat the depression?
3. Discuss some of the complaints the Galileis had regarding various illnesses.
4. After the trial, Galileo was released into the custody of a high ranking church official. Who was the official and where did Galileo go with that official?
5. Why did Galileo have to go through regular channels if the Pope approved of the work? Who was responsible for issuing the printing licenses?
6. What was the name of the Pope elected in Part 2? When was the Pope elected? What was his former identity?
7. Describe at least one of the requirements Galileo had to fulfill in order to return to Arcetri.
8. What steps might have been taken by Pope Urban on behalf of Galileo? Why do you think Pope Urban chose not to take that step?
9. What significant event took place during Galileo's time in Rome?
10. The sisters at San Matteo continued to pray for Galileo. What was the reaction at the convent when it was learned Galileo would soon be back in Arcetri?
Essay Topic 1
There were many differences between Galileo and his son, Vincenzio. Write a 500 word essay on Vincenzio. Include his education, relationship with his family, and contributions to science.
Essay Topic 2
Livia and Virginia remained illegitimate, even though Galileo claimed the daughters as his own. Vincenzio, on the other hand, was legitimized by the Church. Why? Explain why Vincenzio was treated differently. What did it mean to be "legitimized?" How did it affect Vincenzio's career? How did the act change Galileo's career?
Essay Topic 3
In 1600, Cardinal Bruno was burned at the stake. Why was the cardinal killed? What was the official crime? Write a 1000-word essay on the Cardinal Bruno. Who was he? Where did he fit into the story? Examine the Cardinal's work and conflict with the Church. Explain the irony and connection to Galileo.
This section contains 1,719 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)