|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the Pope's favorite passages of Galileo's work compares good philosophers to which bird?
2. For some unknown reason Galileo did not save all of Maria Celeste's letters during that year. How many letters did Galileo manage to save?
3. Galileo suggested to Maria Celeste that she petition this Pope for assistance.
4. How old was Maria Celeste when she entered the convent?
5. Which item in Maria Celeste's room was in need of repair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which scientist most influenced the work of Galileo? What was Galileo's intention with his experiments?
2. Name at least one of the major issues faced by Urban in his new position as Pope. How did Urban respond?
3. Discuss some of the complaints the Galileis had regarding various illnesses.
4. What significant event took place during Galileo's time in Rome?
5. Describe Maria Celeste's birth and journey to the Convent at San Matteo.
6. What was the purpose of Galileo's next trip to Rome? Who did he see?
7. Why did Galileo have to go through regular channels if the Pope approved of the work? Who was responsible for issuing the printing licenses?
8. Who were the other two Galilei children? What was their place in the family?
9. Discuss the arrival of "Treatise on the Tides." How long did it take to write the important work? To whom was the work dedicated?
10. Discuss Galileo's first trip to Rome to meet with Urban. Also discuss Galileo's friendship with Prince Cesi.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a great deal written about Copernicus in the book. Who was Copernicus? Why was Galileo fascinated by him? What discoveries did Copernicus make? How do Galileo and Copernicus compare in regards to their scientific works? Write a 750 word biography on Copernicus.
Essay Topic 2
Galileo's trial forbade him from working on certain projects so that he could stay out of prison. Explain the arrangement with the Church. Do you think Galileo agreed because he felt he had no choice or because it was in his best interest? Do you think Galileo compromised himself or his work by agreeing to stop working and teaching? Did Galileo keep his word?
Essay Topic 3
In 1600, Cardinal Bruno was burned at the stake. Why was the cardinal killed? What was the official crime? Write a 1000-word essay on the Cardinal Bruno. Who was he? Where did he fit into the story? Examine the Cardinal's work and conflict with the Church. Explain the irony and connection to Galileo.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)