|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Galileo was afraid to send books to Rome because they would be:
2. Who would have the final say on the approval of the book?
3. What is another name for a nun's living quarters?
4. In what month did the Pope take office?
5. Maria Celeste took on the role of teacher in which area?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Galileo have to go through regular channels if the Pope approved of the work? Who was responsible for issuing the printing licenses?
2. Who were the other two Galilei children? What was their place in the family?
3. Urban was highly impressed with Galileo's work. Which new work struck the Pope as being brilliant? What did Galileo write in the dedication?
4. Explain the invention of the pendulum clock and how it came about. What happened to the invention?
5. Discuss the arrival of "Treatise on the Tides." How long did it take to write the important work? To whom was the work dedicated?
6. What was the purpose of Galileo's next trip to Rome? Who did he see?
7. In addition to helping Galileo with the printing license, other benefits came from his relationship with Caterina. What were the benefits?
8. What was the name of the Pope elected in Part 2? When was the Pope elected? What was his former identity?
9. What significant event took place during Galileo's time in Rome?
10. Which scientist most influenced the work of Galileo? What was Galileo's intention with his experiments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Galileo was a well educated man. Galileo served in many capacities in the communities in which he lived, including holding at least two professorships in Padua and Pisa. Discuss Galileo's influence and legacy placed upon each university. How did Galileo's legacy affect VIncenzio's studies at the university?
Essay Topic 2
There were many differences between Galileo and his son, Vincenzio. Write a 500 word essay on Vincenzio. Include his education, relationship with his family, and contributions to science.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept and creation of Galileo's "Treatise on the Tides." Why was the work so important? What was the collective opinion of Galileo's colleagues? How did Galileo feel about the finished product? What was the main theme of the book? Did Galileo introduce anything new to the scientific community?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)