|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For some unknown reason Galileo did not save all of Maria Celeste's letters during that year. How many letters did Galileo manage to save?
2. Which person was eager to step forward to help the convent through their leanest hours?
3. What was the name of Galileo's brother?
4. The letter was written to express condolences for the loss of ______, Galileo's sister.
5. The pope was fond of another of Galileo's works, title:
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the major difference in the opportunities given to Vincenzio as opposed to those given to Maria Celeste and Arcangela?
2. What were the accolades and criticisms following Pope Urban's inauguration?
3. When the Galilei children were small, Galileo held two similar jobs in the math and science fields. What were the jobs and where were they? Why were the jobs unusual?
4. Describe Maria Celeste's birth and journey to the Convent at San Matteo.
5. Who was announced as being the new Grand Duke of Tuscany? In what year was he installed as Grand Duke? To which famous family was the new Duke related?
6. What did Galileo send to Urban as soon as it was proper to do so? What was Galileo's hope in regards to a new relationship with an old friend?
7. Why do you think Maria Celeste had such a special bond with her father, aside from her position in the family?
8. Explain the first experience with a telescope. Also explain what it meant to the future study of the galaxy.
9. Explain the opening letter in "Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel. Who was the writer? What was the subject?
10. Discuss the arrival of "Treatise on the Tides." How long did it take to write the important work? To whom was the work dedicated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Livia and Virginia remained illegitimate, even though Galileo claimed the daughters as his own. Vincenzio, on the other hand, was legitimized by the Church. Why? Explain why Vincenzio was treated differently. What did it mean to be "legitimized?" How did it affect Vincenzio's career? How did the act change Galileo's career?
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail the court proceedings against Galileo. Who pressed the charges? What were the charges? Was Galileo guilty? What was the punishment served on Galileo? What was the length of the sentence? What was the overall opinion of the church, the academic community, and Galileo's family? Did the punishment fit the crime?
Essay Topic 3
There is a great deal written about Copernicus in the book. Who was Copernicus? Why was Galileo fascinated by him? What discoveries did Copernicus make? How do Galileo and Copernicus compare in regards to their scientific works? Write a 750 word biography on Copernicus.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)