|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years did it take Galileo to write that particular work?
2. What was the name of the town where the convent was located?
3. Galileo was afraid to send books to Rome because they would be:
4. What word was used to describe Maria Celeste?
5. Galileo was eager to go to Rome to march with which prestigious group?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maria Celeste's birth and journey to the Convent at San Matteo.
2. What is the structure of the book? How many letters are there in total?
3. What were the accolades and criticisms following Pope Urban's inauguration?
4. What significant event took place during Galileo's time in Rome?
5. What was the name of the Pope elected in Part 2? When was the Pope elected? What was his former identity?
6. Name at least one of the major issues faced by Urban in his new position as Pope. How did Urban respond?
7. Which scientist most influenced the work of Galileo? What was Galileo's intention with his experiments?
8. Why did Galileo have to go through regular channels if the Pope approved of the work? Who was responsible for issuing the printing licenses?
9. What was the major difference in the opportunities given to Vincenzio as opposed to those given to Maria Celeste and Arcangela?
10. What did Galileo send to Urban as soon as it was proper to do so? What was Galileo's hope in regards to a new relationship with an old friend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the court proceedings against Galileo. Who pressed the charges? What were the charges? Was Galileo guilty? What was the punishment served on Galileo? What was the length of the sentence? What was the overall opinion of the church, the academic community, and Galileo's family? Did the punishment fit the crime?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the beliefs and the work of Galileo and Bruno. Was Galileo inspired by Bruno? What was Bruno's main credo? What was Galileo's main credo? What was the biggest similarity between the men, professionally and personally?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Galileo and Marina Gamba. Why was the couple never married? Were there class or religious barriers that might have prevented a marriage? Explain. How did the families feel about the relationship? Was that type of relationship unusual at the time? What was the opinion of the Church on the relationship? How did it affect the children? Did the relationship affect Galileo's career?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)