|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was the man killed?
2. According to the law, it was likely that many people in Galileo's occupation would be considered to be which of the following?
3. Maria Celeste recalls being in the garden with her father learning about which of the following?
4. What was the name of Galileo's host?
5. It was intended that the girl stay in the convent until her parents could find:
Short Essay Questions
1. How severe was the presence of the plague in Rome in the 1600s? When was the worst period in history for the plague? How does Sobel refer to the returning plague?
2. When did Virginia take her vows? Where did she get the name Maria Celeste?
3. What is the structure of the book? How many letters are there in total?
4. Galileo suffered a tragedy shortly after the trip to Rome. What was the tragedy? What caused it?
5. Why did Galileo have to go through regular channels if the Pope approved of the work? Who was responsible for issuing the printing licenses?
6. Who was announced as being the new Grand Duke of Tuscany? In what year was he installed as Grand Duke? To which famous family was the new Duke related?
7. Discuss some of the complaints the Galileis had regarding various illnesses.
8. Explain the reaction of Maria Celeste upon learning the identity of the new Pope. What was Maris Celeste's recommendation to her father? Did Galileo take Maria Celeste's advice?
9. Name at least one of the major issues faced by Urban in his new position as Pope. How did Urban respond?
10. Discuss the arrival of "Treatise on the Tides." How long did it take to write the important work? To whom was the work dedicated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the court proceedings against Galileo. Who pressed the charges? What were the charges? Was Galileo guilty? What was the punishment served on Galileo? What was the length of the sentence? What was the overall opinion of the church, the academic community, and Galileo's family? Did the punishment fit the crime?
Essay Topic 2
Galileo is best known for his work with the telescope. Create a diagram of the first telescope and outline how it worked. Was the concept entirely new or was it a refinement of an earlier work? Who was most impressed by the telescope? What did the discovery do for Galileo's career? Draw a second diagram of a modern telescope and note improvements over Galileo's model.
Essay Topic 3
At a young age, Galileo showed amazing aptitude for math. What about math interested Galileo? What prompted Galileo to switch from math to astronomy? Was it a wise move? What were the opinions of those around Galileo regarding the change? What do you think might have happened if Galileo would have pursued a care in mathematics? How did the knowledge benefit Galileo in other ways?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)