|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it called when a nun is required to stay inside the convent compound at all times?
2. In order to impress the new pope, Galileo sent a copy of his yet to be published work titled:
3. In addition to regular financial aid, Galileo began to work as a ______ at the convent.
4. Galileo planned to make a detour on the way to the Vatican to visit his old friend:
5. Officials from which region would be responsible for approving Galileo's manuscript?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss some of the complaints the Galileis had regarding various illnesses.
2. Which scientist most influenced the work of Galileo? What was Galileo's intention with his experiments?
3. Discuss the arrival of "Treatise on the Tides." How long did it take to write the important work? To whom was the work dedicated?
4. Galileo suffered a tragedy shortly after the trip to Rome. What was the tragedy? What caused it?
5. When the Galilei children were small, Galileo held two similar jobs in the math and science fields. What were the jobs and where were they? Why were the jobs unusual?
6. Name at least one of the major issues faced by Urban in his new position as Pope. How did Urban respond?
7. What did Galileo send to Urban as soon as it was proper to do so? What was Galileo's hope in regards to a new relationship with an old friend?
8. In addition to helping Galileo with the printing license, other benefits came from his relationship with Caterina. What were the benefits?
9. Why do you think Maria Celeste had such a special bond with her father, aside from her position in the family?
10. Despite scientific advancements many people were at a loss to explain the plague, how it spread, and how to cure it. Discuss some of the beliefs of the people.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a great deal written about Copernicus in the book. Who was Copernicus? Why was Galileo fascinated by him? What discoveries did Copernicus make? How do Galileo and Copernicus compare in regards to their scientific works? Write a 750 word biography on Copernicus.
Essay Topic 2
Galileo suffered from several afflictions as he got older. Many of those afflictions were treated by Maria Celeste. Explain Galileo's afflictions. Which was the worst? Was any one of the afflictions fatal or terminal? Explain. How was Maria Celeste able to help her father? Did the remedies help? Where did Galileo spend his last days? What eventually killed Galileo?
Essay Topic 3
Write a detailed biography on the Medici family. Why was the family so powerful? What was Galileo's relationship with the Medicis? Did the relationship help or hinder Galileo's career and issues with the Pope? Also explain the effect of the Medicis in Padua and the surrounding region.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)