|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month did the Pope take office?
2. Galileo left his son with Marina and took his daughters to which Italian city?
3. What was the name of Galileo's contact within the Vatican?
4. What was the first name of Galileo's daughter before she was taken into the convent?
5. The letter was written to express condolences for the loss of ______, Galileo's sister.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maria Celeste's birth and journey to the Convent at San Matteo.
2. Discuss Galileo's first trip to Rome to meet with Urban. Also discuss Galileo's friendship with Prince Cesi.
3. What was the Grand Duke's plan to stop the plague from spreading even further?
4. Explain the reaction of Maria Celeste upon learning the identity of the new Pope. What was Maris Celeste's recommendation to her father? Did Galileo take Maria Celeste's advice?
5. Why did Galileo have to go through regular channels if the Pope approved of the work? Who was responsible for issuing the printing licenses?
6. What is the structure of the book? How many letters are there in total?
7. Which scientist most influenced the work of Galileo? What was Galileo's intention with his experiments?
8. Discuss some of the complaints the Galileis had regarding various illnesses.
9. Galileo suffered a tragedy shortly after the trip to Rome. What was the tragedy? What caused it?
10. Discuss the eruption of the Thirty Years War, how it affected Rome, and who was involved.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Galileo's trial forbade him from working on certain projects so that he could stay out of prison. Explain the arrangement with the Church. Do you think Galileo agreed because he felt he had no choice or because it was in his best interest? Do you think Galileo compromised himself or his work by agreeing to stop working and teaching? Did Galileo keep his word?
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail the life of the nuns at San Matteo. How does the convent compare with today's convents? Is the order still in existence? If so, where? What influence did Maria Celeste have on the convent? Compare and contrast the views and experiences of the sisters.
Essay Topic 3
Galileo is best known for his work with the telescope. Create a diagram of the first telescope and outline how it worked. Was the concept entirely new or was it a refinement of an earlier work? Who was most impressed by the telescope? What did the discovery do for Galileo's career? Draw a second diagram of a modern telescope and note improvements over Galileo's model.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)