|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The pope was fond of another of Galileo's works, title:
2. Convents in Italy were different than in other countries because they were permitted to own which of the following?
3. Maria Celeste recalls being in the garden with her father learning about which of the following?
4. In what year did Galileo finally set off for the Vatican?
5. Galileo left his son with Marina and took his daughters to which Italian city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the eruption of the Thirty Years War, how it affected Rome, and who was involved.
2. What was the Grand Duke's plan to stop the plague from spreading even further?
3. When did Virginia take her vows? Where did she get the name Maria Celeste?
4. What was the name of the Pope elected in Part 2? When was the Pope elected? What was his former identity?
5. Explain the opening letter in "Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel. Who was the writer? What was the subject?
6. Explain the first experience with a telescope. Also explain what it meant to the future study of the galaxy.
7. Discuss some of the complaints the Galileis had regarding various illnesses.
8. Galileo suffered a tragedy shortly after the trip to Rome. What was the tragedy? What caused it?
9. Why do you think Maria Celeste had such a special bond with her father, aside from her position in the family?
10. What significant event took place during Galileo's time in Rome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At a young age, Galileo showed amazing aptitude for math. What about math interested Galileo? What prompted Galileo to switch from math to astronomy? Was it a wise move? What were the opinions of those around Galileo regarding the change? What do you think might have happened if Galileo would have pursued a care in mathematics? How did the knowledge benefit Galileo in other ways?
Essay Topic 2
Galileo was charged with blasphemy and heresy. What is the definition of each? Do both apply to Galileo? Who decides if someone is guilty of either or both? What is the punishment? Is the punishment set forth by the government or Church? Give examples of how Galileo allegedly committed either or both of the crimes. List the specific reason cited in the trial, proof, and outcome.
Essay Topic 3
Write a detailed biography on the Medici family. Why was the family so powerful? What was Galileo's relationship with the Medicis? Did the relationship help or hinder Galileo's career and issues with the Pope? Also explain the effect of the Medicis in Padua and the surrounding region.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)