|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Galileo's contact within the Vatican?
2. How old was Maria Celeste when she entered the convent?
3. What was the surname of Galileo's lover and mother to his children?
4. In 1623, one of the following was named as the new pope. Which man was it?
5. Galileo suggested to Maria Celeste that she petition this Pope for assistance.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Grand Duke's plan to stop the plague from spreading even further?
2. What was the name of the Pope elected in Part 2? When was the Pope elected? What was his former identity?
3. After the trial, Galileo was released into the custody of a high ranking church official. Who was the official and where did Galileo go with that official?
4. The illness prevented Maria Celeste from doing two very important things. What were they? What was the result?
5. Describe at least one of the requirements Galileo had to fulfill in order to return to Arcetri.
6. Who issued the actual conviction in Galileo's case? What was the opinion of the Pope in this case?
7. Describe Maria Celeste's birth and journey to the Convent at San Matteo.
8. Why did Galileo have to go through regular channels if the Pope approved of the work? Who was responsible for issuing the printing licenses?
9. What was the plea sent from Niccolini to the Poe on behalf of Galileo?
10. What was the purpose of Galileo's next trip to Rome? Who did he see?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Galileo was a well educated man. Galileo served in many capacities in the communities in which he lived, including holding at least two professorships in Padua and Pisa. Discuss Galileo's influence and legacy placed upon each university. How did Galileo's legacy affect VIncenzio's studies at the university?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the decision to put Virginia and Livia into the convent. Who made the decision? What was the main purpose for sending the girls to the convent? Was the situation meant to be temporary or permanent? Discuss their choice of names when they took vows. Discuss Maria Celeste's influence on Arcangela's choice to take her vows.
Essay Topic 3
Galileo's Dialogues are often referred to as a journal of sorts. The dialogues contain some fiction along with science and an accounting of Galileo's activities. Write a synopsis of the Dialogues. Include references to famous people of the day.
This section contains 1,712 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)