Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Galileo stay in Rome?
2. Who would have the final say on the approval of the book?
3. Which of the following was the main carrier of disease at this time?
4. In 1627, Italy was on the brink of which upcoming skirmish?
5. What is another name for a nun's living quarters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Galileo's first trip to Rome to meet with Urban. Also discuss Galileo's friendship with Prince Cesi.
2. Discuss the eruption of the Thirty Years War, how it affected Rome, and who was involved.
3. Describe at least one of the things Galileo did to pass the time while staying in Siena.
4. What is one of the major errors regarding the story of Galileo's trial? What do you think may have caused the mistake?
5. Which scientist most influenced the work of Galileo? What was Galileo's intention with his experiments?
6. While Maria Celeste seemed to tell Galileo everything, she overlooked one important piece of news. What was the news?
7. When did Virginia take her vows? Where did she get the name Maria Celeste?
8. Once again the weather wreaked havoc on Galileo and Maria Celeste. Explain how each was affected by the autumn rains.
9. What was the plea sent from Niccolini to the Poe on behalf of Galileo?
10. What was one of the main concerns of Galileo and Maria Celeste while Galileo was in Rome?
Essay Topic 1
Galileo's trial forbade him from working on certain projects so that he could stay out of prison. Explain the arrangement with the Church. Do you think Galileo agreed because he felt he had no choice or because it was in his best interest? Do you think Galileo compromised himself or his work by agreeing to stop working and teaching? Did Galileo keep his word?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the decision to put Virginia and Livia into the convent. Who made the decision? What was the main purpose for sending the girls to the convent? Was the situation meant to be temporary or permanent? Discuss their choice of names when they took vows. Discuss Maria Celeste's influence on Arcangela's choice to take her vows.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Galileo and Marina Gamba. Why was the couple never married? Were there class or religious barriers that might have prevented a marriage? Explain. How did the families feel about the relationship? Was that type of relationship unusual at the time? What was the opinion of the Church on the relationship? How did it affect the children? Did the relationship affect Galileo's career?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)