|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1630, approximately _____ Florentines died from disease?
2. Who would have the final say on the approval of the book?
3. How long did Galileo stay in Rome this time?
4. In what month did the Pope take office?
5. Early the next year, a quarantine that would last ______ days was put into effect.
Short Essay Questions
1. Urban was highly impressed with Galileo's work. Which new work struck the Pope as being brilliant? What did Galileo write in the dedication?
2. Explain the opening letter in "Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel. Who was the writer? What was the subject?
3. In addition to helping Galileo with the printing license, other benefits came from his relationship with Caterina. What were the benefits?
4. Describe Maria Celeste's birth and journey to the Convent at San Matteo.
5. Explain the first experience with a telescope. Also explain what it meant to the future study of the galaxy.
6. Which scientist most influenced the work of Galileo? What was Galileo's intention with his experiments?
7. Who was announced as being the new Grand Duke of Tuscany? In what year was he installed as Grand Duke? To which famous family was the new Duke related?
8. Why did Galileo have to go through regular channels if the Pope approved of the work? Who was responsible for issuing the printing licenses?
9. What did Galileo send to Urban as soon as it was proper to do so? What was Galileo's hope in regards to a new relationship with an old friend?
10. How severe was the presence of the plague in Rome in the 1600s? When was the worst period in history for the plague? How does Sobel refer to the returning plague?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Galileo was a well educated man. Galileo served in many capacities in the communities in which he lived, including holding at least two professorships in Padua and Pisa. Discuss Galileo's influence and legacy placed upon each university. How did Galileo's legacy affect VIncenzio's studies at the university?
Essay Topic 2
Write a detailed biography on the Medici family. Why was the family so powerful? What was Galileo's relationship with the Medicis? Did the relationship help or hinder Galileo's career and issues with the Pope? Also explain the effect of the Medicis in Padua and the surrounding region.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Galileo and Marina Gamba. Why was the couple never married? Were there class or religious barriers that might have prevented a marriage? Explain. How did the families feel about the relationship? Was that type of relationship unusual at the time? What was the opinion of the Church on the relationship? How did it affect the children? Did the relationship affect Galileo's career?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)