|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the convent that housed two of Galileo's daughters?
2. Galileo was eager to go to Rome to march with which prestigious group?
3. The letter was written to express condolences for the loss of ______, Galileo's sister.
4. Which Pope was often referred to as the "Poet Pope?"
5. Galileo was eventually named head mathematician and philosopher to which of the following people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the accolades and criticisms following Pope Urban's inauguration?
2. Explain the reaction of Maria Celeste upon learning the identity of the new Pope. What was Maris Celeste's recommendation to her father? Did Galileo take Maria Celeste's advice?
3. Why do you think Maria Celeste had such a special bond with her father, aside from her position in the family?
4. What was the purpose of Galileo's next trip to Rome? Who did he see?
5. What was the plea sent from Niccolini to the Poe on behalf of Galileo?
6. When did Virginia take her vows? Where did she get the name Maria Celeste?
7. Describe at least one of the things Galileo did to pass the time while staying in Siena.
8. Discuss the illness contracted by Maria Celeste in March 1634. How was the illness contracted?
9. Discuss the eruption of the Thirty Years War, how it affected Rome, and who was involved.
10. When the Galilei children were small, Galileo held two similar jobs in the math and science fields. What were the jobs and where were they? Why were the jobs unusual?
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the court proceedings against Galileo. Who pressed the charges? What were the charges? Was Galileo guilty? What was the punishment served on Galileo? What was the length of the sentence? What was the overall opinion of the church, the academic community, and Galileo's family? Did the punishment fit the crime?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the story behind the long awaited book by Galileo, "The Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems." What were the Two Chief World Systems? What inspired the work? When was it written? How long did it take Galileo to research, compile and arrange the information in the book? Was the book objective or subjective? How was the book received by the public?
Essay Topic 3
Galileo suffered from several afflictions as he got older. Many of those afflictions were treated by Maria Celeste. Explain Galileo's afflictions. Which was the worst? Was any one of the afflictions fatal or terminal? Explain. How was Maria Celeste able to help her father? Did the remedies help? Where did Galileo spend his last days? What eventually killed Galileo?
This section contains 1,741 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)