|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years did it take Galileo to write that particular work?
2. In 1623, one of the following was named as the new pope. Which man was it?
3. In 1630, approximately _____ Florentines died from disease?
4. How old was Maria Celeste when she took her vows?
5. The son was intended to complete his education at a university in which city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss some of the complaints the Galileis had regarding various illnesses.
2. When the Galilei children were small, Galileo held two similar jobs in the math and science fields. What were the jobs and where were they? Why were the jobs unusual?
3. Who was announced as being the new Grand Duke of Tuscany? In what year was he installed as Grand Duke? To which famous family was the new Duke related?
4. Explain the invention of the pendulum clock and how it came about. What happened to the invention?
5. What were the accolades and criticisms following Pope Urban's inauguration?
6. What was the major difference in the opportunities given to Vincenzio as opposed to those given to Maria Celeste and Arcangela?
7. Discuss the arrival of "Treatise on the Tides." How long did it take to write the important work? To whom was the work dedicated?
8. When did Virginia take her vows? Where did she get the name Maria Celeste?
9. Which scientist most influenced the work of Galileo? What was Galileo's intention with his experiments?
10. Explain the first experience with a telescope. Also explain what it meant to the future study of the galaxy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Galileo suffered from several afflictions as he got older. Many of those afflictions were treated by Maria Celeste. Explain Galileo's afflictions. Which was the worst? Was any one of the afflictions fatal or terminal? Explain. How was Maria Celeste able to help her father? Did the remedies help? Where did Galileo spend his last days? What eventually killed Galileo?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept and creation of Galileo's "Treatise on the Tides." Why was the work so important? What was the collective opinion of Galileo's colleagues? How did Galileo feel about the finished product? What was the main theme of the book? Did Galileo introduce anything new to the scientific community?
Essay Topic 3
Galileo is best known for his work with the telescope. Create a diagram of the first telescope and outline how it worked. Was the concept entirely new or was it a refinement of an earlier work? Who was most impressed by the telescope? What did the discovery do for Galileo's career? Draw a second diagram of a modern telescope and note improvements over Galileo's model.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)