|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Galileo stay in Rome?
2. What was the surname of Galileo's lover and mother to his children?
3. In 1623, one of the following was named as the new pope. Which man was it?
4. In what year was the first letter written from Maria to Galileo?
5. The author speaks at length of the war, which involved which country?
Short Essay Questions
1. How severe was the presence of the plague in Rome in the 1600s? When was the worst period in history for the plague? How does Sobel refer to the returning plague?
2. Who was announced as being the new Grand Duke of Tuscany? In what year was he installed as Grand Duke? To which famous family was the new Duke related?
3. Why do you think Maria Celeste had such a special bond with her father, aside from her position in the family?
4. When did Virginia take her vows? Where did she get the name Maria Celeste?
5. Discuss Galileo's first trip to Rome to meet with Urban. Also discuss Galileo's friendship with Prince Cesi.
6. Explain the opening letter in "Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel. Who was the writer? What was the subject?
7. Discuss the arrival of "Treatise on the Tides." How long did it take to write the important work? To whom was the work dedicated?
8. Who were the other two Galilei children? What was their place in the family?
9. Discuss the eruption of the Thirty Years War, how it affected Rome, and who was involved.
10. Why did Galileo have to go through regular channels if the Pope approved of the work? Who was responsible for issuing the printing licenses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Galileo's trial forbade him from working on certain projects so that he could stay out of prison. Explain the arrangement with the Church. Do you think Galileo agreed because he felt he had no choice or because it was in his best interest? Do you think Galileo compromised himself or his work by agreeing to stop working and teaching? Did Galileo keep his word?
Essay Topic 2
Galileo was a well educated man. Galileo served in many capacities in the communities in which he lived, including holding at least two professorships in Padua and Pisa. Discuss Galileo's influence and legacy placed upon each university. How did Galileo's legacy affect VIncenzio's studies at the university?
Essay Topic 3
Galileo's Dialogues are often referred to as a journal of sorts. The dialogues contain some fiction along with science and an accounting of Galileo's activities. Write a synopsis of the Dialogues. Include references to famous people of the day.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)