|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The man was killed, in part, for stating which of the following:
2. How old was Maria Celeste when she took her vows?
3. Although it pained her to do so, Maria Celeste often went to Galileo for which of the following?
4. Early the next year, a quarantine that would last ______ days was put into effect.
5. What was the name of Galileo's host?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the eruption of the Thirty Years War, how it affected Rome, and who was involved.
2. Discuss the arrival of "Treatise on the Tides." How long did it take to write the important work? To whom was the work dedicated?
3. Discuss Galileo's first trip to Rome to meet with Urban. Also discuss Galileo's friendship with Prince Cesi.
4. Explain the opening letter in "Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel. Who was the writer? What was the subject?
5. Despite scientific advancements many people were at a loss to explain the plague, how it spread, and how to cure it. Discuss some of the beliefs of the people.
6. Explain the reaction of Maria Celeste upon learning the identity of the new Pope. What was Maris Celeste's recommendation to her father? Did Galileo take Maria Celeste's advice?
7. Galileo suffered a tragedy shortly after the trip to Rome. What was the tragedy? What caused it?
8. What was the name of the Pope elected in Part 2? When was the Pope elected? What was his former identity?
9. Discuss some of the complaints the Galileis had regarding various illnesses.
10. Which scientist most influenced the work of Galileo? What was Galileo's intention with his experiments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of Galileo's most famous experiments took place at the Leaning Tower of Pisa. What was the experiment? What did the experiment prove? Who inspired the experiment and/or was inspired by it? Do the results of the experiment still hold true today? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Galileo suffered from several afflictions as he got older. Many of those afflictions were treated by Maria Celeste. Explain Galileo's afflictions. Which was the worst? Was any one of the afflictions fatal or terminal? Explain. How was Maria Celeste able to help her father? Did the remedies help? Where did Galileo spend his last days? What eventually killed Galileo?
Essay Topic 3
In 1600, Cardinal Bruno was burned at the stake. Why was the cardinal killed? What was the official crime? Write a 1000-word essay on the Cardinal Bruno. Who was he? Where did he fit into the story? Examine the Cardinal's work and conflict with the Church. Explain the irony and connection to Galileo.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)