|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word was used to describe Maria Celeste?
2. Galileo was eventually named head mathematician and philosopher to which of the following people?
3. Although it pained her to do so, Maria Celeste often went to Galileo for which of the following?
4. In what year did Galileo finally set off for the Vatican?
5. Which member of the Medici was installed as the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
Short Essay Questions
1. How severe was the presence of the plague in Rome in the 1600s? When was the worst period in history for the plague? How does Sobel refer to the returning plague?
2. Explain the reaction of Maria Celeste upon learning the identity of the new Pope. What was Maris Celeste's recommendation to her father? Did Galileo take Maria Celeste's advice?
3. What did Galileo send to Urban as soon as it was proper to do so? What was Galileo's hope in regards to a new relationship with an old friend?
4. Galileo suffered a tragedy shortly after the trip to Rome. What was the tragedy? What caused it?
5. Explain the first experience with a telescope. Also explain what it meant to the future study of the galaxy.
6. Discuss Galileo's first trip to Rome to meet with Urban. Also discuss Galileo's friendship with Prince Cesi.
7. What was the major difference in the opportunities given to Vincenzio as opposed to those given to Maria Celeste and Arcangela?
8. What is the structure of the book? How many letters are there in total?
9. Discuss the arrival of "Treatise on the Tides." How long did it take to write the important work? To whom was the work dedicated?
10. Why did Galileo have to go through regular channels if the Pope approved of the work? Who was responsible for issuing the printing licenses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Galileo and Marina Gamba. Why was the couple never married? Were there class or religious barriers that might have prevented a marriage? Explain. How did the families feel about the relationship? Was that type of relationship unusual at the time? What was the opinion of the Church on the relationship? How did it affect the children? Did the relationship affect Galileo's career?
Essay Topic 2
In 1600, Cardinal Bruno was burned at the stake. Why was the cardinal killed? What was the official crime? Write a 1000-word essay on the Cardinal Bruno. Who was he? Where did he fit into the story? Examine the Cardinal's work and conflict with the Church. Explain the irony and connection to Galileo.
Essay Topic 3
There were many differences between Galileo and his son, Vincenzio. Write a 500 word essay on Vincenzio. Include his education, relationship with his family, and contributions to science.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)