|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many copies of the book were published once it was approved?
2. What was the name of the town where the convent was located?
3. Unlike Galileo's daughters, the son was able to become recognized by the church after he had been:
4. One of the things that got the pope in trouble was his view regarding:
5. Which Italian city seemed to be the only one spared from the epidemic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the first experience with a telescope. Also explain what it meant to the future study of the galaxy.
2. Despite scientific advancements many people were at a loss to explain the plague, how it spread, and how to cure it. Discuss some of the beliefs of the people.
3. Describe Maria Celeste's birth and journey to the Convent at San Matteo.
4. Galileo suffered a tragedy shortly after the trip to Rome. What was the tragedy? What caused it?
5. Discuss the arrival of "Treatise on the Tides." How long did it take to write the important work? To whom was the work dedicated?
6. Discuss Galileo's first trip to Rome to meet with Urban. Also discuss Galileo's friendship with Prince Cesi.
7. How severe was the presence of the plague in Rome in the 1600s? When was the worst period in history for the plague? How does Sobel refer to the returning plague?
8. Explain the reaction of Maria Celeste upon learning the identity of the new Pope. What was Maris Celeste's recommendation to her father? Did Galileo take Maria Celeste's advice?
9. Explain the opening letter in "Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel. Who was the writer? What was the subject?
10. When did Virginia take her vows? Where did she get the name Maria Celeste?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1600, Cardinal Bruno was burned at the stake. Why was the cardinal killed? What was the official crime? Write a 1000-word essay on the Cardinal Bruno. Who was he? Where did he fit into the story? Examine the Cardinal's work and conflict with the Church. Explain the irony and connection to Galileo.
Essay Topic 2
Galileo was charged with blasphemy and heresy. What is the definition of each? Do both apply to Galileo? Who decides if someone is guilty of either or both? What is the punishment? Is the punishment set forth by the government or Church? Give examples of how Galileo allegedly committed either or both of the crimes. List the specific reason cited in the trial, proof, and outcome.
Essay Topic 3
Galileo suffered from several afflictions as he got older. Many of those afflictions were treated by Maria Celeste. Explain Galileo's afflictions. Which was the worst? Was any one of the afflictions fatal or terminal? Explain. How was Maria Celeste able to help her father? Did the remedies help? Where did Galileo spend his last days? What eventually killed Galileo?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)