|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the death of Maria Celeste which relative moved into Galileo's house?
2. What was the first name of Galileo's father?
3. Which Pope approved of Galileo's conviction?
4. In which year did Galileo mail off the last pieces of the manuscript to his solicitor?
5. There was great hope that Galileo's new book would be published in which country?
Short Answer Questions
1. Maria Celeste tended to write long letters to Galileo on which day of the week?
2. Anti-Catholics objected to the Pope rejecting Galileo's work solely on:
3. If Galileo was able to prove that science had a legitimate place in the world, the Pope would no longer appear to be:
4. What word is used to reference a report issued by the office to important officials?
5. To whom was the book dedicated?
Short Essay Questions
1. The illness prevented Maria Celeste from doing two very important things. What were they? What was the result?
2. Discuss the illness contracted by Maria Celeste in March 1634. How was the illness contracted?
3. How did Maria Celeste's death take its toll on Galileo?
4. Detail at least one of Galileo's bouts with depression. How did Maria Celeste try to combat the depression?
5. In what year was the ban against the Dialogue officially lifted?
6. How long did Galileo have to stay in Rome before he was granted an audience at the Holy Office?
7. Describe at least one of the things Galileo did to pass the time while staying in Siena.
8. What steps might have been taken by Pope Urban on behalf of Galileo? Why do you think Pope Urban chose not to take that step?
9. What was the outcome of the efforts made by Galileo and others?
10. After the trial, Galileo was released into the custody of a high ranking church official. Who was the official and where did Galileo go with that official?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)