|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word is used to reference a report issued by the office to important officials?
2. How many bystanders were at the meeting of Galileo and the Office of the Inquisition?
3. It is erroneously reported that Galileo was tried in which year?
4. In what year was the ban effectively lifted from the work?
5. What was the name of the high ranking member of the church that took "custody" of Galileo after the trial?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Galileo, how many "new" sciences were being introduced?
2. Due to Galileo's poor health, Niccolini repeatedly petitioned the Pope, asking for _________.
3. What was the name of the woman's son?
4. Which Pope approved of Galileo's conviction?
5. Galileo began a new book, the idea for which had been ruminating for nearly ____ years.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe at least one of the requirements Galileo had to fulfill in order to return to Arcetri.
2. In what year was the ban against the Dialogue officially lifted?
3. By this time Galileo had become blind in one eye and was plagued with poor vision in the other. How did Galileo manage to work with this affliction?
4. Once again the weather wreaked havoc on Galileo and Maria Celeste. Explain how each was affected by the autumn rains.
5. After the trial, Galileo was released into the custody of a high ranking church official. Who was the official and where did Galileo go with that official?
6. Instead of informing Maria Celeste of all the happenings in Rome, Galileo spent his time doing other things. List at least one of the other things that occupied Galileo's time.
7. What was the plea sent from Niccolini to the Poe on behalf of Galileo?
8. The sisters at San Matteo continued to pray for Galileo. What was the reaction at the convent when it was learned Galileo would soon be back in Arcetri?
9. The illness prevented Maria Celeste from doing two very important things. What were they? What was the result?
10. What was the reason Pope Urban finally permitted Galileo to return to Arcetri?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)