|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion did Galileo experience because of the departure?
2. Galileo was sent back to Arcetri because his living situation was too pleasant in which city?
3. Where did this person go?
4. Galileo communicated the news of Maria Celeste's death to his friend Elia Diodati, who lived in which major European city?
5. The purpose of leaving Galileo was to pursue opportunities in which profession?
Short Answer Questions
1. If Galileo was able to prove that science had a legitimate place in the world, the Pope would no longer appear to be:
2. Geri Bocchineri commented that the death of Maria Celeste was a true case of what?
3. What was the first name of Mrs. Niccolini?
4. Galileo began a new book, the idea for which had been ruminating for nearly ____ years.
5. While being forced to stay in Rome Galileo gave power of attorney to which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was not present at the interview? Why?
2. What was the focus of Galileo's work in his last eight years? What problem continued to hang over Galileo's head, most certainly affecting his work and his health?
3. How long did Galileo have to stay in Rome before he was granted an audience at the Holy Office?
4. In Part Four, Galileo had to return to Rome to be tried for his crimes against the Church. Explain who was on Galileo's side to support him.
5. Discuss the illness contracted by Maria Celeste in March 1634. How was the illness contracted?
6. The illness prevented Maria Celeste from doing two very important things. What were they? What was the result?
7. After the trial, Galileo was released into the custody of a high ranking church official. Who was the official and where did Galileo go with that official?
8. By this time Galileo had become blind in one eye and was plagued with poor vision in the other. How did Galileo manage to work with this affliction?
9. Instead of informing Maria Celeste of all the happenings in Rome, Galileo spent his time doing other things. List at least one of the other things that occupied Galileo's time.
10. Galileo began to work on a book involving the theories of motion. Discuss the concept for the book and its relationship to Aristotle's earlier teachings.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)