|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the main topic of this book?
(a) Gravitational pull.
2. What was the first name of Mrs. Niccolini?
3. How old was Galileo at the time of the trial?
4. Galileo suffered from many ailments involving his eyes. Which of the following was not one of those ailments?
(c) Pink Eye.
5. Which of the following was not one of the reasons given to the Pope by Niccolini?
(a) Acceptance of censure.
(b) Old age.
(d) Connection to the Medicis.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many bystanders were at the meeting of Galileo and the Office of the Inquisition?
2. In which year did Galileo mail off the last pieces of the manuscript to his solicitor?
3. At this time Galileo was living in which town or city?
4. Where did Galileo stay to recuperate after the trial?
5. What word is used to describe a long and arduous process?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what year was the ban against the Dialogue officially lifted?
2. What was the focus of Galileo's work in his last eight years? What problem continued to hang over Galileo's head, most certainly affecting his work and his health?
3. What steps might have been taken by Pope Urban on behalf of Galileo? Why do you think Pope Urban chose not to take that step?
4. What was the reason Pope Urban finally permitted Galileo to return to Arcetri?
5. The sisters at San Matteo continued to pray for Galileo. What was the reaction at the convent when it was learned Galileo would soon be back in Arcetri?
6. Who issued the actual conviction in Galileo's case? What was the opinion of the Pope in this case?
7. The illness prevented Maria Celeste from doing two very important things. What were they? What was the result?
8. Galileo began to work on a book involving the theories of motion. Discuss the concept for the book and its relationship to Aristotle's earlier teachings.
9. Who was not present at the interview? Why?
10. In Part Four, Galileo had to return to Rome to be tried for his crimes against the Church. Explain who was on Galileo's side to support him.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)