|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the nickname given to Father Christopher Scheiner?
2. The book would show observations and theories that went directly against the teachings of which famous man?
3. Maria Celeste was plagued with which malady?
4. What continued to plague Galileo up until the time he died?
(b) Lack of recognition.
(c) Loss of Arcangela.
(d) Crohn's disease.
5. Galileo was sent back to Arcetri because his living situation was too pleasant in which city?
Short Answer Questions
1. What weather phenomenon plagued Arcetri in 1633?
2. Due to Galileo's poor health, Niccolini repeatedly petitioned the Pope, asking for _________.
3. Which Pope approved the Edict of 1616?
4. To whom was the book dedicated?
5. Geri Bocchineri commented that the death of Maria Celeste was a true case of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Instead of informing Maria Celeste of all the happenings in Rome, Galileo spent his time doing other things. List at least one of the other things that occupied Galileo's time.
2. Name one of the biggest and harshest stipulations set upon Galileo's return to Arcetri.
3. What was the reason Pope Urban finally permitted Galileo to return to Arcetri?
4. Galileo began to work on a book involving the theories of motion. Discuss the concept for the book and its relationship to Aristotle's earlier teachings.
5. Describe at least one of the requirements Galileo had to fulfill in order to return to Arcetri.
6. What was the focus of Galileo's work in his last eight years? What problem continued to hang over Galileo's head, most certainly affecting his work and his health?
7. How did Maria Celeste's death take its toll on Galileo?
8. After the trial, Galileo was released into the custody of a high ranking church official. Who was the official and where did Galileo go with that official?
9. In what year was the ban against the Dialogue officially lifted?
10. What was the plea sent from Niccolini to the Poe on behalf of Galileo?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)