|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was not one of the reasons given to the Pope by Niccolini?
(b) Acceptance of censure.
(c) Old age.
(d) Connection to the Medicis.
2. Which of the following was a major contributor to Galileo's death?
(a) Bubonic plague.
(c) Kidney problems.
3. Maria Celeste managed to keep informed of Galileo's trials with the help of which family member's brother?
4. In which century was the monastery built?
5. Which of the following was not one of Galileo's avid supporters?
(a) Pope Gregory.
(b) Francesco Niccolini.
(c) Cardinal Barberini.
(d) Fernando Medici.
Short Answer Questions
1. Galileo was ordered to cease which of the following?
2. At this time Galileo was living in which town or city?
3. What word is best used to describe a delay or block in an experiment?
4. In 1633, the nuns complained of the excessive ____.
5. Due to Galileo's poor health, Niccolini repeatedly petitioned the Pope, asking for _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the reason Pope Urban finally permitted Galileo to return to Arcetri?
2. Who issued the actual conviction in Galileo's case? What was the opinion of the Pope in this case?
3. What was the plea sent from Niccolini to the Poe on behalf of Galileo?
4. Name one of the biggest and harshest stipulations set upon Galileo's return to Arcetri.
5. While Maria Celeste seemed to tell Galileo everything, she overlooked one important piece of news. What was the news?
6. What is one of the major errors regarding the story of Galileo's trial? What do you think may have caused the mistake?
7. How did Maria Celeste's death take its toll on Galileo?
8. What was Galileo's hope regarding the outcome of the trial. Did Galileo's wish come true?
9. Discuss the illness contracted by Maria Celeste in March 1634. How was the illness contracted?
10. Once again the weather wreaked havoc on Galileo and Maria Celeste. Explain how each was affected by the autumn rains.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)