|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Maria Celeste managed to keep informed of Galileo's trials with the help of which family member's brother?
2. Which item is not mentioned in the observations on gravity?
3. What word did Galileo use to describe Maria Celeste's mind?
4. How many cardinals would preside over Galileo's trial?
5. By this time Mrs. Niccolini had earned the title of __________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Galileo communicated the news of Maria Celeste's death to his friend Elia Diodati, who lived in which major European city?
2. While being forced to stay in Rome Galileo gave power of attorney to which of the following?
3. Geri Bocchineri commented that the death of Maria Celeste was a true case of what?
4. The investigation into these affairs was known as the __________________.
5. Maria Celeste was plagued with which malady?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the major errors regarding the story of Galileo's trial? What do you think may have caused the mistake?
2. Galileo began to work on a book involving the theories of motion. Discuss the concept for the book and its relationship to Aristotle's earlier teachings.
3. What was the outcome of the efforts made by Galileo and others?
4. The illness prevented Maria Celeste from doing two very important things. What were they? What was the result?
5. What was Maria Celeste's reaction to the interview at the Holy Office of the Inquisition?
6. In Part Four, Galileo had to return to Rome to be tried for his crimes against the Church. Explain who was on Galileo's side to support him.
7. While Maria Celeste seemed to tell Galileo everything, she overlooked one important piece of news. What was the news?
8. Describe at least one of the things Galileo did to pass the time while staying in Siena.
9. In what year was the ban against the Dialogue officially lifted?
10. Who issued the actual conviction in Galileo's case? What was the opinion of the Pope in this case?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)