|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who left Galileo's presence at this time, much to Galileo's objection?
2. According to Galileo, how many "new" sciences were being introduced?
3. By this time Mrs. Niccolini had earned the title of __________.
4. The nuns at the convent rejoiced with the news of Galileo's impending return. Which of the nuns ran to Maria Celeste crying with joy?
(b) Lead Suor.
(d) Mother Superior.
5. In the autumn of 1633, Galileo began to experience the onset of which mental state?
Short Answer Questions
1. What continued to plague Galileo up until the time he died?
2. Geri Bocchineri commented that the death of Maria Celeste was a true case of what?
3. What is the name of the monastery that could have been used to contain Galileo after he left SIena?
4. What was the first name of Galileo's father?
5. Where did this person go?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long did Galileo have to stay in Rome before he was granted an audience at the Holy Office?
2. In Part Four, Galileo had to return to Rome to be tried for his crimes against the Church. Explain who was on Galileo's side to support him.
3. Galileo began to work on a book involving the theories of motion. Discuss the concept for the book and its relationship to Aristotle's earlier teachings.
4. What was Galileo's hope regarding the outcome of the trial. Did Galileo's wish come true?
5. While Maria Celeste seemed to tell Galileo everything, she overlooked one important piece of news. What was the news?
6. What was the outcome of the efforts made by Galileo and others?
7. How did Maria Celeste's death take its toll on Galileo?
8. Who was not present at the interview? Why?
9. Discuss the illness contracted by Maria Celeste in March 1634. How was the illness contracted?
10. What was the focus of Galileo's work in his last eight years? What problem continued to hang over Galileo's head, most certainly affecting his work and his health?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)