|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Galileo communicated the news of Maria Celeste's death to his friend Elia Diodati, who lived in which major European city?
2. How many cardinals would preside over Galileo's trial?
3. What was the first name of Mrs. Niccolini?
4. Maria Celeste continued to worry about the state of Galileo's ______.
(c) Family relationships.
5. Galileo suffered from many ailments involving his eyes. Which of the following was not one of those ailments?
(b) Pink Eye.
Short Answer Questions
1. Galileo would be allowed to go home if he agreed to do what to the Dialogue?
2. In what month did Maria Celeste die?
3. What word is used to describe a long and arduous process?
4. What word is used by Niccolini that means the same thing as "interfered?"
5. How many years did Galileo live after the death of Maria Celeste?
Short Essay Questions
1. While the Catholics had their opinions on why Galileo was tried, the anti-Catholics also had an opinion. What was the opinion of the anti-Catholics?
2. Who was not present at the interview? Why?
3. What was Maria Celeste's reaction to the interview at the Holy Office of the Inquisition?
4. What steps might have been taken by Pope Urban on behalf of Galileo? Why do you think Pope Urban chose not to take that step?
5. What was Galileo's hope regarding the outcome of the trial. Did Galileo's wish come true?
6. What is one of the major errors regarding the story of Galileo's trial? What do you think may have caused the mistake?
7. After the trial, Galileo was released into the custody of a high ranking church official. Who was the official and where did Galileo go with that official?
8. What was the reason Pope Urban finally permitted Galileo to return to Arcetri?
9. While Maria Celeste seemed to tell Galileo everything, she overlooked one important piece of news. What was the news?
10. By this time Galileo had become blind in one eye and was plagued with poor vision in the other. How did Galileo manage to work with this affliction?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)