|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the woman's son?
2. In which year did Galileo mail off the last pieces of the manuscript to his solicitor?
3. According to Galileo, how many "new" sciences were being introduced?
4. In what year was the ban effectively lifted from the work?
5. Galileo suffered from many ailments involving his eyes. Which of the following was not one of those ailments?
(c) Pink Eye.
Short Answer Questions
1. By this time Mrs. Niccolini had earned the title of __________.
2. In which country was the book eventually printed?
3. What is the standard title given to nuns at the convent?
4. Which of the following was not one of the reasons given to the Pope by Niccolini?
5. In 1633, the nuns complained of the excessive ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. After the trial, Galileo was released into the custody of a high ranking church official. Who was the official and where did Galileo go with that official?
2. In what year was the ban against the Dialogue officially lifted?
3. What was the outcome of the efforts made by Galileo and others?
4. Describe at least one of the things Galileo did to pass the time while staying in Siena.
5. What was Galileo's hope regarding the outcome of the trial. Did Galileo's wish come true?
6. What was the plea sent from Niccolini to the Poe on behalf of Galileo?
7. Galileo began to work on a book involving the theories of motion. Discuss the concept for the book and its relationship to Aristotle's earlier teachings.
8. What was Maria Celeste's reaction to the interview at the Holy Office of the Inquisition?
9. What was the focus of Galileo's work in his last eight years? What problem continued to hang over Galileo's head, most certainly affecting his work and his health?
10. Once again the weather wreaked havoc on Galileo and Maria Celeste. Explain how each was affected by the autumn rains.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)