|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which century was the monastery built?
2. Which Pope approved of Galileo's conviction?
3. Galileo would be allowed to go home if he agreed to do what to the Dialogue?
(d) Include the church.
4. Galileo was sent back to Arcetri because his living situation was too pleasant in which city?
5. What word is used by Niccolini that means the same thing as "interfered?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What weather phenomenon plagued Arcetri in 1633?
2. What was the first name of Galileo's father?
3. Maria Celeste hoped fervently that the Pope and others would dismiss the trial once they realized the extent of Galileo's _____.
4. What word is used to describe Galileo's trial?
5. Who left Galileo's presence at this time, much to Galileo's objection?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe at least one of the requirements Galileo had to fulfill in order to return to Arcetri.
2. What was the plea sent from Niccolini to the Poe on behalf of Galileo?
3. Galileo began to work on a book involving the theories of motion. Discuss the concept for the book and its relationship to Aristotle's earlier teachings.
4. How did Maria Celeste's death take its toll on Galileo?
5. What was the outcome of the efforts made by Galileo and others?
6. The illness prevented Maria Celeste from doing two very important things. What were they? What was the result?
7. Discuss the illness contracted by Maria Celeste in March 1634. How was the illness contracted?
8. What steps might have been taken by Pope Urban on behalf of Galileo? Why do you think Pope Urban chose not to take that step?
9. Instead of informing Maria Celeste of all the happenings in Rome, Galileo spent his time doing other things. List at least one of the other things that occupied Galileo's time.
10. What was the focus of Galileo's work in his last eight years? What problem continued to hang over Galileo's head, most certainly affecting his work and his health?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)