|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the first name of Mrs. Niccolini?
2. Maria Celeste sent regular letters to her father, often enclosing prayers on which topic?
3. What is the name of the Pope's office?
(a) Holy Office.
(b) Cardinal's Cell.
(c) Vatican City.
(d) St. Peter's Square.
4. Aristotle believed that mathematicians focused on what type of questions?
5. Galileo communicated the news of Maria Celeste's death to his friend Elia Diodati, who lived in which major European city?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did this person go?
2. At this time, Galileo's health was poor. It was recommended that while in Rome, Galileo should stay ___________.
3. After the death of Maria Celeste which relative moved into Galileo's house?
4. Maria Celeste hoped fervently that the Pope and others would dismiss the trial once they realized the extent of Galileo's _____.
5. What was the main topic of this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Galileo began to work on a book involving the theories of motion. Discuss the concept for the book and its relationship to Aristotle's earlier teachings.
2. What is one of the major errors regarding the story of Galileo's trial? What do you think may have caused the mistake?
3. Instead of informing Maria Celeste of all the happenings in Rome, Galileo spent his time doing other things. List at least one of the other things that occupied Galileo's time.
4. Describe the reaction of the people upon Galileo's return to Arcetri.
5. After the trial, Galileo was released into the custody of a high ranking church official. Who was the official and where did Galileo go with that official?
6. What was Galileo's hope regarding the outcome of the trial. Did Galileo's wish come true?
7. Name one of the biggest and harshest stipulations set upon Galileo's return to Arcetri.
8. Describe at least one of the requirements Galileo had to fulfill in order to return to Arcetri.
9. How did Maria Celeste's death take its toll on Galileo?
10. In what year was the ban against the Dialogue officially lifted?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)