|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which country was the book eventually printed?
2. The investigation into these affairs was known as the __________________.
3. Where did Galileo stay to recuperate after the trial?
4. In what year was the ban effectively lifted from the work?
5. What emotion did Galileo experience because of the departure?
Short Answer Questions
1. Maria Celeste tended to write long letters to Galileo on which day of the week?
2. What word is used to describe Galileo's trial?
3. Which Pope approved of Galileo's conviction?
4. How many cardinals would preside over Galileo's trial?
5. What illness would eventually cause Maria Celeste's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the major errors regarding the story of Galileo's trial? What do you think may have caused the mistake?
2. While Maria Celeste seemed to tell Galileo everything, she overlooked one important piece of news. What was the news?
3. Describe the reaction of the people upon Galileo's return to Arcetri.
4. What was one of the main concerns of Galileo and Maria Celeste while Galileo was in Rome?
5. What was the reason Pope Urban finally permitted Galileo to return to Arcetri?
6. The sisters at San Matteo continued to pray for Galileo. What was the reaction at the convent when it was learned Galileo would soon be back in Arcetri?
7. What was Galileo's hope regarding the outcome of the trial. Did Galileo's wish come true?
8. The illness prevented Maria Celeste from doing two very important things. What were they? What was the result?
9. In Part Four, Galileo had to return to Rome to be tried for his crimes against the Church. Explain who was on Galileo's side to support him.
10. Detail at least one of Galileo's bouts with depression. How did Maria Celeste try to combat the depression?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)