|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The book would show observations and theories that went directly against the teachings of which famous man?
2. Which item is not mentioned in the observations on gravity?
3. What word is best used to describe a delay or block in an experiment?
4. At this time, Galileo's health was poor. It was recommended that while in Rome, Galileo should stay ___________.
(a) In a hospital.
(b) In bed.
(c) In seclusion.
5. Galileo was plagued with which affliction?
Short Answer Questions
1. Geri Bocchineri commented that the death of Maria Celeste was a true case of what?
2. Maria Celeste tended to write long letters to Galileo on which day of the week?
3. It is erroneously reported that Galileo was tried in which year?
4. Compared to Rome, the atmosphere in Venice was refereed to as being _____.
5. In what year was the ban effectively lifted from the work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Galileo began to work on a book involving the theories of motion. Discuss the concept for the book and its relationship to Aristotle's earlier teachings.
2. By this time Galileo had become blind in one eye and was plagued with poor vision in the other. How did Galileo manage to work with this affliction?
3. The sisters at San Matteo continued to pray for Galileo. What was the reaction at the convent when it was learned Galileo would soon be back in Arcetri?
4. Describe at least one of the things Galileo did to pass the time while staying in Siena.
5. In what year was the ban against the Dialogue officially lifted?
6. What steps might have been taken by Pope Urban on behalf of Galileo? Why do you think Pope Urban chose not to take that step?
7. Discuss the illness contracted by Maria Celeste in March 1634. How was the illness contracted?
8. What is one of the major errors regarding the story of Galileo's trial? What do you think may have caused the mistake?
9. The illness prevented Maria Celeste from doing two very important things. What were they? What was the result?
10. What was Maria Celeste's reaction to the interview at the Holy Office of the Inquisition?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)