|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the first name of Mrs. Niccolini?
2. Galileo revisited the possibility of publishing which book despite Pope Urban's objection?
(a) Two New Sciences.
(b) Discourse on Motion and Gravity.
(c) Sun and the Moon.
(d) Mathematics as a Science.
3. What word is used to describe the topic of the new book?
4. What is the name of the monastery that could have been used to contain Galileo after he left SIena?
(a) Sacred Heart.
(c) San Matteo.
5. The nuns at the convent rejoiced with the news of Galileo's impending return. Which of the nuns ran to Maria Celeste crying with joy?
(a) Lead Suor.
(b) Mother Superior.
Short Answer Questions
1. Galileo was ordered to cease which of the following?
2. In which century was the monastery built?
3. in what months did the height of the problem hit?
4. The book would show observations and theories that went directly against the teachings of which famous man?
5. What was the nickname given to Father Christopher Scheiner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Maria Celeste's death take its toll on Galileo?
2. Once again the weather wreaked havoc on Galileo and Maria Celeste. Explain how each was affected by the autumn rains.
3. What was the outcome of the efforts made by Galileo and others?
4. In Part Four, Galileo had to return to Rome to be tried for his crimes against the Church. Explain who was on Galileo's side to support him.
5. What is one of the major errors regarding the story of Galileo's trial? What do you think may have caused the mistake?
6. What was Galileo's hope regarding the outcome of the trial. Did Galileo's wish come true?
7. Instead of informing Maria Celeste of all the happenings in Rome, Galileo spent his time doing other things. List at least one of the other things that occupied Galileo's time.
8. While the Catholics had their opinions on why Galileo was tried, the anti-Catholics also had an opinion. What was the opinion of the anti-Catholics?
9. The sisters at San Matteo continued to pray for Galileo. What was the reaction at the convent when it was learned Galileo would soon be back in Arcetri?
10. In what year was the ban against the Dialogue officially lifted?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)