|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word is used by Niccolini that means the same thing as "interfered?"
2. Galileo began a new book, the idea for which had been ruminating for nearly ____ years.
3. in what months did the height of the problem hit?
(a) April and June.
(b) October and November.
(c) September and October.
(d) November and December.
4. In 1633, the nuns complained of the excessive ____.
(a) Number of rats.
(d) Lack of food.
5. Maria Celeste sent regular letters to her father, often enclosing prayers on which topic?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who would act as judge(s) at Galileo's trial?
2. What word is used to indicate a joyous celebration?
3. Galileo's trial and exile left him feeling like which of the following?
4. What word is best used to describe a delay or block in an experiment?
5. In what month did Maria Celeste die?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Maria Celeste seemed to tell Galileo everything, she overlooked one important piece of news. What was the news?
2. What was the reason Pope Urban finally permitted Galileo to return to Arcetri?
3. Describe the reaction of the people upon Galileo's return to Arcetri.
4. Detail at least one of Galileo's bouts with depression. How did Maria Celeste try to combat the depression?
5. In Part Four, Galileo had to return to Rome to be tried for his crimes against the Church. Explain who was on Galileo's side to support him.
6. What steps might have been taken by Pope Urban on behalf of Galileo? Why do you think Pope Urban chose not to take that step?
7. Discuss the illness contracted by Maria Celeste in March 1634. How was the illness contracted?
8. In what year was the ban against the Dialogue officially lifted?
9. By this time Galileo had become blind in one eye and was plagued with poor vision in the other. How did Galileo manage to work with this affliction?
10. How long did Galileo have to stay in Rome before he was granted an audience at the Holy Office?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)