|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the death of Maria Celeste which relative moved into Galileo's house?
2. What was the first name of Galileo's father?
3. Maria Celeste hoped fervently that the Pope and others would dismiss the trial once they realized the extent of Galileo's _____.
4. What word is used to describe the topic of the new book?
5. Where was this person's final destination?
(b) San Bruno.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the standard title given to nuns at the convent?
2. Although the Dialogue was never legally banned, its printing was ______.
3. Where did Galileo stay to recuperate after the trial?
4. How old was Galileo at the time of the trial?
5. What word is used to describe a long and arduous process?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe at least one of the things Galileo did to pass the time while staying in Siena.
2. Discuss the illness contracted by Maria Celeste in March 1634. How was the illness contracted?
3. In what year was the ban against the Dialogue officially lifted?
4. Once again the weather wreaked havoc on Galileo and Maria Celeste. Explain how each was affected by the autumn rains.
5. What was the focus of Galileo's work in his last eight years? What problem continued to hang over Galileo's head, most certainly affecting his work and his health?
6. Detail at least one of Galileo's bouts with depression. How did Maria Celeste try to combat the depression?
7. Name one of the biggest and harshest stipulations set upon Galileo's return to Arcetri.
8. What was one of the main concerns of Galileo and Maria Celeste while Galileo was in Rome?
9. What was the reason Pope Urban finally permitted Galileo to return to Arcetri?
10. What was the plea sent from Niccolini to the Poe on behalf of Galileo?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)