|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which type of clock was invented by Galileo and another person?
2. What was the name of Galileo's second daughter to enter the convent?
3. In addition to regular financial aid, Galileo began to work as a ______ at the convent.
4. What was the name of the place Maria Celeste worked at the convent?
5. What tragic affliction was responsible for the death of Prince Cesi?
(b) Rheumatic Fever.
(d) Bubonic Plague.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Galileo stay in Rome?
2. How long did Galileo stay in Rome this time?
3. How many copies of the book were published once it was approved?
4. How old was the Cardinal when he accepted the position of the Supreme Pontiff?
5. How many years did it take Galileo to write that particular work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Maria Celeste had such a special bond with her father, aside from her position in the family?
2. Describe at least one of the things Galileo did to pass the time while staying in Siena.
3. When the Galilei children were small, Galileo held two similar jobs in the math and science fields. What were the jobs and where were they? Why were the jobs unusual?
4. Urban was highly impressed with Galileo's work. Which new work struck the Pope as being brilliant? What did Galileo write in the dedication?
5. Explain the reaction of Maria Celeste upon learning the identity of the new Pope. What was Maris Celeste's recommendation to her father? Did Galileo take Maria Celeste's advice?
6. In what year was the ban against the Dialogue officially lifted?
7. Explain the first experience with a telescope. Also explain what it meant to the future study of the galaxy.
8. What was Galileo's hope regarding the outcome of the trial. Did Galileo's wish come true?
9. When did Virginia take her vows? Where did she get the name Maria Celeste?
10. What was the reason Pope Urban finally permitted Galileo to return to Arcetri?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)