|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author speaks at length of the war, which involved which country?
2. How old was Maria Celeste when she took her vows?
3. Which item in Maria Celeste's room was in need of repair?
(d) Door handle.
4. How many years did it take Galileo to write that particular work?
5. In order to impress the new pope, Galileo sent a copy of his yet to be published work titled:
(a) Investigating the Milky Way.
(b) Monologue on the Moons.
(c) Treatise on the Tides.
(d) Discourse on the Stars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word is often used in regards to the presence of the Sun?
2. Galileo was eventually named head mathematician and philosopher to which of the following people?
3. What name did the second daughter adopt?
4. The letter was written to express condolences for the loss of ______, Galileo's sister.
5. How long did it take before the printing was complete?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Virginia take her vows? Where did she get the name Maria Celeste?
2. Discuss some of the complaints the Galileis had regarding various illnesses.
3. In addition to helping Galileo with the printing license, other benefits came from his relationship with Caterina. What were the benefits?
4. Who were the other two Galilei children? What was their place in the family?
5. Explain the invention of the pendulum clock and how it came about. What happened to the invention?
6. What were the accolades and criticisms following Pope Urban's inauguration?
7. What did Galileo send to Urban as soon as it was proper to do so? What was Galileo's hope in regards to a new relationship with an old friend?
8. Why do you think Maria Celeste had such a special bond with her father, aside from her position in the family?
9. Who was announced as being the new Grand Duke of Tuscany? In what year was he installed as Grand Duke? To which famous family was the new Duke related?
10. Despite scientific advancements many people were at a loss to explain the plague, how it spread, and how to cure it. Discuss some of the beliefs of the people.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)