|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Galileo when Marina died?
2. How old was the Cardinal when he accepted the position of the Supreme Pontiff?
3. One of the things that got the pope in trouble was his view regarding:
(a) Protestant Reformation.
(b) Catholic Condemnation.
(c) Pagan Ostracizing.
(d) Jewish Re-education.
4. Galileo was afraid to send books to Rome because they would be:
5. What was the name of Galileo's second daughter to enter the convent?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the surname of Galileo's lover and mother to his children?
2. Galileo went to work in the court of which royal?
3. According to the law, it was likely that many people in Galileo's occupation would be considered to be which of the following?
4. What was the name of Galileo's brother?
5. What is the name of the order at the convent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Galileo have to go through regular channels if the Pope approved of the work? Who was responsible for issuing the printing licenses?
2. Explain the opening letter in "Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel. Who was the writer? What was the subject?
3. In addition to helping Galileo with the printing license, other benefits came from his relationship with Caterina. What were the benefits?
4. What were the accolades and criticisms following Pope Urban's inauguration?
5. Discuss some of the complaints the Galileis had regarding various illnesses.
6. Despite scientific advancements many people were at a loss to explain the plague, how it spread, and how to cure it. Discuss some of the beliefs of the people.
7. Which scientist most influenced the work of Galileo? What was Galileo's intention with his experiments?
8. Discuss Galileo's first trip to Rome to meet with Urban. Also discuss Galileo's friendship with Prince Cesi.
9. What significant event took place during Galileo's time in Rome?
10. What was the purpose of Galileo's next trip to Rome? Who did he see?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)