|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Early the next year, a quarantine that would last ______ days was put into effect.
2. What is it called when a nun is required to stay inside the convent compound at all times?
3. Galileo was eventually named head mathematician and philosopher to which of the following people?
(a) Archbishop of Canterbury.
(b) Grand Duke of Tuscany.
(c) Pope Pius XII.
(d) Cardinal Richelieu.
4. Which of Galileo's books was finally published in 1630?
(a) Dialogue on the Tides.
(b) Secrets of the Sun and Moon.
(c) Discourse on Gravity.
(d) From Here to the Stars.
5. Because of a lack of follow through, which inventor came up with the same idea less than twenty years later?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the place Maria Celeste worked at the convent?
2. According to the law, it was likely that many people in Galileo's occupation would be considered to be which of the following?
3. What was the name of the youngest Galilei child.
4. In what year was the first letter written from Maria to Galileo?
5. In what year was Galileo first told to desist on his astronomical work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the opening letter in "Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel. Who was the writer? What was the subject?
2. Urban was highly impressed with Galileo's work. Which new work struck the Pope as being brilliant? What did Galileo write in the dedication?
3. When did Virginia take her vows? Where did she get the name Maria Celeste?
4. Discuss the eruption of the Thirty Years War, how it affected Rome, and who was involved.
5. Name at least one of the major issues faced by Urban in his new position as Pope. How did Urban respond?
6. Who was announced as being the new Grand Duke of Tuscany? In what year was he installed as Grand Duke? To which famous family was the new Duke related?
7. What is the structure of the book? How many letters are there in total?
8. Galileo suffered a tragedy shortly after the trip to Rome. What was the tragedy? What caused it?
9. Discuss some of the complaints the Galileis had regarding various illnesses.
10. Which scientist most influenced the work of Galileo? What was Galileo's intention with his experiments?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)