|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The son was intended to complete his education at a university in which city?
2. The author speaks at length of the war, which involved which country?
3. Which Pope was often referred to as the "Poet Pope?"
4. How long did it take before the printing was complete?
(a) 9 months.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 1 year.
5. In 1630, approximately _____ Florentines died from disease?
Short Answer Questions
1. Early the next year, a quarantine that would last ______ days was put into effect.
2. What was the surname of Galileo's lover and mother to his children?
3. What was the name of Galileo's brother?
4. It was intended that the girl stay in the convent until her parents could find:
5. What was the major complaint and source of illness at the convent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What significant event took place during Galileo's time in Rome?
2. Explain the opening letter in "Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel. Who was the writer? What was the subject?
3. Name at least one of the major issues faced by Urban in his new position as Pope. How did Urban respond?
4. Describe Maria Celeste's birth and journey to the Convent at San Matteo.
5. What was the name of the Pope elected in Part 2? When was the Pope elected? What was his former identity?
6. Discuss the eruption of the Thirty Years War, how it affected Rome, and who was involved.
7. When the Galilei children were small, Galileo held two similar jobs in the math and science fields. What were the jobs and where were they? Why were the jobs unusual?
8. Why do you think Maria Celeste had such a special bond with her father, aside from her position in the family?
9. Discuss some of the complaints the Galileis had regarding various illnesses.
10. What was the major difference in the opportunities given to Vincenzio as opposed to those given to Maria Celeste and Arcangela?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)