|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who assisted Galileo and Maria Celeste in one particular project?
2. Officials from which region would be responsible for approving Galileo's manuscript?
3. The son was intended to complete his education at a university in which city?
4. What new law began to frighten many of Galileo's colleagues?
(a) Edict of 1616.
(b) Astronomers' Discourse.
(c) Mathematicians' Treatise.
(d) Heretic Law.
5. What was the major complaint and source of illness at the convent?
(c) Spoiled food.
(d) Sick children.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1623, one of the following was named as the new pope. Which man was it?
2. Early the next year, a quarantine that would last ______ days was put into effect.
3. Galileo planned to make a detour on the way to the Vatican to visit his old friend:
4. Which of the following was the main carrier of disease at this time?
5. What was the name of the town where the friend lived?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to helping Galileo with the printing license, other benefits came from his relationship with Caterina. What were the benefits?
2. Describe Maria Celeste's birth and journey to the Convent at San Matteo.
3. What is the structure of the book? How many letters are there in total?
4. What was the purpose of Galileo's next trip to Rome? Who did he see?
5. What was the major difference in the opportunities given to Vincenzio as opposed to those given to Maria Celeste and Arcangela?
6. When did Virginia take her vows? Where did she get the name Maria Celeste?
7. What significant event took place during Galileo's time in Rome?
8. What were the accolades and criticisms following Pope Urban's inauguration?
9. Explain the first experience with a telescope. Also explain what it meant to the future study of the galaxy.
10. Who were the other two Galilei children? What was their place in the family?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)