|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Galileo finally set off for the Vatican?
2. How old was Galileo when Marina died?
3. Although it pained her to do so, Maria Celeste often went to Galileo for which of the following?
(b) New shoes.
4. What was the daughter's first name after she was taken into the convent and received her vows?
5. Who assisted Galileo and Maria Celeste in one particular project?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which type of clock was invented by Galileo and another person?
2. Maria Celeste took on the role of teacher in which area?
3. Galileo was eager to go to Rome to march with which prestigious group?
4. In 1627, Italy was on the brink of which upcoming skirmish?
5. What word is often used in regards to the presence of the Sun?
Short Essay Questions
1. By this time Galileo had become blind in one eye and was plagued with poor vision in the other. How did Galileo manage to work with this affliction?
2. Explain the invention of the pendulum clock and how it came about. What happened to the invention?
3. Describe Maria Celeste's birth and journey to the Convent at San Matteo.
4. Explain the first experience with a telescope. Also explain what it meant to the future study of the galaxy.
5. What is the structure of the book? How many letters are there in total?
6. Once again the weather wreaked havoc on Galileo and Maria Celeste. Explain how each was affected by the autumn rains.
7. What significant event took place during Galileo's time in Rome?
8. What was the name of the Pope elected in Part 2? When was the Pope elected? What was his former identity?
9. Describe at least one of the requirements Galileo had to fulfill in order to return to Arcetri.
10. What steps might have been taken by Pope Urban on behalf of Galileo? Why do you think Pope Urban chose not to take that step?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)