|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Galileo finally set off for the Vatican?
2. What is it called when a nun is required to stay inside the convent compound at all times?
3. Which person was eager to step forward to help the convent through their leanest hours?
4. Which famous man was killed in the same year she was born?
(a) Da Vinci.
5. Galileo was determined to prove the theories of which famous scientist?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the youngest Galilei child.
2. In 1630, approximately _____ Florentines died from disease?
3. The man was killed, in part, for stating which of the following:
4. One of the things that got the pope in trouble was his view regarding:
5. The pope was fond of another of Galileo's works, title:
Short Essay Questions
1. Which scientist most influenced the work of Galileo? What was Galileo's intention with his experiments?
2. What significant event took place during Galileo's time in Rome?
3. When did Virginia take her vows? Where did she get the name Maria Celeste?
4. Explain the first experience with a telescope. Also explain what it meant to the future study of the galaxy.
5. Who was announced as being the new Grand Duke of Tuscany? In what year was he installed as Grand Duke? To which famous family was the new Duke related?
6. Despite scientific advancements many people were at a loss to explain the plague, how it spread, and how to cure it. Discuss some of the beliefs of the people.
7. How severe was the presence of the plague in Rome in the 1600s? When was the worst period in history for the plague? How does Sobel refer to the returning plague?
8. In addition to helping Galileo with the printing license, other benefits came from his relationship with Caterina. What were the benefits?
9. What was the purpose of Galileo's next trip to Rome? Who did he see?
10. Describe Maria Celeste's birth and journey to the Convent at San Matteo.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)