|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Convents in Italy were different than in other countries because they were permitted to own which of the following?
(d) Farm equipment.
2. Which of Galileo's books was finally published in 1630?
(a) Dialogue on the Tides.
(b) Secrets of the Sun and Moon.
(c) From Here to the Stars.
(d) Discourse on Gravity.
3. Galileo was forced to travel to Rome to obtain which type of license?
4. The man was killed, in part, for stating which of the following:
(a) Earth is not flat.
(b) Galileo should be canonized.
(c) There are other planets in the galaxy.
(d) Earth travels around the Sun.
5. What was the name of the convent that housed two of Galileo's daughters?
(a) Convent of the Sacred Heart.
(b) Convent of St. Augustine.
(c) Convent of San Matteo.
(d) Convent of St. Francis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because of a lack of follow through, which inventor came up with the same idea less than twenty years later?
2. Maria Celeste took on the role of teacher in which area?
3. Which Pope was often referred to as the "Poet Pope?"
4. In what year was Galileo's daughter born?
5. How was the man killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were the other two Galilei children? What was their place in the family?
2. Discuss Galileo's first trip to Rome to meet with Urban. Also discuss Galileo's friendship with Prince Cesi.
3. Explain the reaction of Maria Celeste upon learning the identity of the new Pope. What was Maris Celeste's recommendation to her father? Did Galileo take Maria Celeste's advice?
4. What significant event took place during Galileo's time in Rome?
5. In addition to helping Galileo with the printing license, other benefits came from his relationship with Caterina. What were the benefits?
6. Discuss the arrival of "Treatise on the Tides." How long did it take to write the important work? To whom was the work dedicated?
7. Discuss some of the complaints the Galileis had regarding various illnesses.
8. Name at least one of the major issues faced by Urban in his new position as Pope. How did Urban respond?
9. Discuss the eruption of the Thirty Years War, how it affected Rome, and who was involved.
10. Explain the invention of the pendulum clock and how it came about. What happened to the invention?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)