|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it called when one builds a model of a new product?
2. How long did Galileo stay in Rome?
(a) 4 weeks.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) 6 weeks.
(d) 5 weeks.
3. The letter was written to express condolences for the loss of ______, Galileo's sister.
4. In 1630, approximately _____ Florentines died from disease?
5. Who assisted Galileo and Maria Celeste in one particular project?
Short Answer Questions
1. Galileo was eager to go to Rome to march with which prestigious group?
2. What was the name of Galileo's brother?
3. How old was Maria Celeste when she entered the convent?
4. Which Pope was often referred to as the "Poet Pope?"
5. What was the name of the convent that housed two of Galileo's daughters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was announced as being the new Grand Duke of Tuscany? In what year was he installed as Grand Duke? To which famous family was the new Duke related?
2. Why do you think Maria Celeste had such a special bond with her father, aside from her position in the family?
3. What was the name of the Pope elected in Part 2? When was the Pope elected? What was his former identity?
4. What was the purpose of Galileo's next trip to Rome? Who did he see?
5. Discuss Galileo's first trip to Rome to meet with Urban. Also discuss Galileo's friendship with Prince Cesi.
6. How severe was the presence of the plague in Rome in the 1600s? When was the worst period in history for the plague? How does Sobel refer to the returning plague?
7. Despite scientific advancements many people were at a loss to explain the plague, how it spread, and how to cure it. Discuss some of the beliefs of the people.
8. Why did Galileo have to go through regular channels if the Pope approved of the work? Who was responsible for issuing the printing licenses?
9. Explain the invention of the pendulum clock and how it came about. What happened to the invention?
10. Discuss the eruption of the Thirty Years War, how it affected Rome, and who was involved.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)