|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the order at the convent?
(a) Convent of St. Lucia.
(b) Order of the Virgin Mary.
(c) Rule of the Holy Ghost.
(d) Rule of Saint Clare.
2. Who assisted Galileo and Maria Celeste in one particular project?
3. In what year was Galileo's daughter born?
4. Galileo was eventually named head mathematician and philosopher to which of the following people?
(a) Cardinal Richelieu.
(b) Pope Pius XII.
(c) Archbishop of Canterbury.
(d) Grand Duke of Tuscany.
5. Who would have the final say on the approval of the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. Because of a lack of follow through, which inventor came up with the same idea less than twenty years later?
2. In order to impress the new pope, Galileo sent a copy of his yet to be published work titled:
3. For some unknown reason Galileo did not save all of Maria Celeste's letters during that year. How many letters did Galileo manage to save?
4. When Galileo arrived in Rome, he was lodged at which of the following?
5. What was the name of the youngest Galilei child.
Short Essay Questions
1. While Maria Celeste seemed to tell Galileo everything, she overlooked one important piece of news. What was the news?
2. Who was not present at the interview? Why?
3. Once again the weather wreaked havoc on Galileo and Maria Celeste. Explain how each was affected by the autumn rains.
4. What significant event took place during Galileo's time in Rome?
5. Discuss the arrival of "Treatise on the Tides." How long did it take to write the important work? To whom was the work dedicated?
6. What is the structure of the book? How many letters are there in total?
7. What was the focus of Galileo's work in his last eight years? What problem continued to hang over Galileo's head, most certainly affecting his work and his health?
8. Why did Galileo have to go through regular channels if the Pope approved of the work? Who was responsible for issuing the printing licenses?
9. What was the Grand Duke's plan to stop the plague from spreading even further?
10. Galileo began to work on a book involving the theories of motion. Discuss the concept for the book and its relationship to Aristotle's earlier teachings.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)