|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the place Maria Celeste worked at the convent?
2. What was the daughter's first name after she was taken into the convent and received her vows?
3. Galileo planned to make a detour on the way to the Vatican to visit his old friend:
4. What name did the second daughter adopt?
5. For some unknown reason Galileo did not save all of Maria Celeste's letters during that year. How many letters did Galileo manage to save?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Galileo's brother?
2. In what month did the Pope take office?
3. Maria Celeste recalls being in the garden with her father learning about which of the following?
4. In 1623, one of the following was named as the new pope. Which man was it?
5. How long did Galileo stay in Rome this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss some of the complaints the Galileis had regarding various illnesses.
2. Discuss the arrival of "Treatise on the Tides." How long did it take to write the important work? To whom was the work dedicated?
3. What was the purpose of Galileo's next trip to Rome? Who did he see?
4. Discuss Galileo's first trip to Rome to meet with Urban. Also discuss Galileo's friendship with Prince Cesi.
5. What were the accolades and criticisms following Pope Urban's inauguration?
6. Why do you think Maria Celeste had such a special bond with her father, aside from her position in the family?
7. Explain the reaction of Maria Celeste upon learning the identity of the new Pope. What was Maris Celeste's recommendation to her father? Did Galileo take Maria Celeste's advice?
8. Why did Galileo have to go through regular channels if the Pope approved of the work? Who was responsible for issuing the printing licenses?
9. When the Galilei children were small, Galileo held two similar jobs in the math and science fields. What were the jobs and where were they? Why were the jobs unusual?
10. How severe was the presence of the plague in Rome in the 1600s? When was the worst period in history for the plague? How does Sobel refer to the returning plague?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)