|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to impress the new pope, Galileo sent a copy of his yet to be published work titled:
(a) Investigating the Milky Way.
(b) Monologue on the Moons.
(c) Treatise on the Tides.
(d) Discourse on the Stars.
2. What name did the second daughter adopt?
3. Who would have the final say on the approval of the book?
4. The author speaks at length of the war, which involved which country?
5. What was the name of Galileo's second daughter to enter the convent?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the first letter written from Maria to Galileo?
2. Which member of the Medici was installed as the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
3. Galileo suggested to Maria Celeste that she petition this Pope for assistance.
4. Officials from which region would be responsible for approving Galileo's manuscript?
5. The pope was fond of another of Galileo's works, title:
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the invention of the pendulum clock and how it came about. What happened to the invention?
2. Explain the opening letter in "Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel. Who was the writer? What was the subject?
3. What significant event took place during Galileo's time in Rome?
4. Who was announced as being the new Grand Duke of Tuscany? In what year was he installed as Grand Duke? To which famous family was the new Duke related?
5. Describe Maria Celeste's birth and journey to the Convent at San Matteo.
6. How severe was the presence of the plague in Rome in the 1600s? When was the worst period in history for the plague? How does Sobel refer to the returning plague?
7. Discuss Galileo's first trip to Rome to meet with Urban. Also discuss Galileo's friendship with Prince Cesi.
8. Discuss some of the complaints the Galileis had regarding various illnesses.
9. When did Virginia take her vows? Where did she get the name Maria Celeste?
10. Who were the other two Galilei children? What was their place in the family?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)