|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the major complaint and source of illness at the convent?
(a) Sick children.
(c) Spoiled food.
2. What was the name of Galileo's brother?
3. What was the name of Galileo's host?
4. The son was intended to complete his education at a university in which city?
5. What tragic affliction was responsible for the death of Prince Cesi?
(b) Bubonic Plague.
(c) Rheumatic Fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. Galileo was determined to prove the theories of which famous scientist?
2. Which member of the Medici was installed as the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
3. What is it called when a nun is required to stay inside the convent compound at all times?
4. How was the man killed?
5. In what year was Galileo first told to desist on his astronomical work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Galileo suffered a tragedy shortly after the trip to Rome. What was the tragedy? What caused it?
2. What was the major difference in the opportunities given to Vincenzio as opposed to those given to Maria Celeste and Arcangela?
3. Why did Galileo have to go through regular channels if the Pope approved of the work? Who was responsible for issuing the printing licenses?
4. What did Galileo send to Urban as soon as it was proper to do so? What was Galileo's hope in regards to a new relationship with an old friend?
5. Discuss the eruption of the Thirty Years War, how it affected Rome, and who was involved.
6. Explain the opening letter in "Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel. Who was the writer? What was the subject?
7. Describe Maria Celeste's birth and journey to the Convent at San Matteo.
8. Urban was highly impressed with Galileo's work. Which new work struck the Pope as being brilliant? What did Galileo write in the dedication?
9. Discuss Galileo's first trip to Rome to meet with Urban. Also discuss Galileo's friendship with Prince Cesi.
10. What was the purpose of Galileo's next trip to Rome? Who did he see?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)