|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Galileo's contact within the Vatican?
2. One of the things that got the pope in trouble was his view regarding:
(a) Pagan Ostracizing.
(b) Protestant Reformation.
(c) Jewish Re-education.
(d) Catholic Condemnation.
3. What caused the delay in Galileo's trip to the Vatican?
(b) Financial problems.
(d) Death in the family.
4. In what month did the Pope take office?
5. What word is used to describe something that is opposite or against?
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to impress the new pope, Galileo sent a copy of his yet to be published work titled:
2. Because of a lack of follow through, which inventor came up with the same idea less than twenty years later?
3. Which item in Maria Celeste's room was in need of repair?
4. What is it called when someone commits a crime against God?
5. Galileo was eventually named head mathematician and philosopher to which of the following people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the opening letter in "Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel. Who was the writer? What was the subject?
2. How severe was the presence of the plague in Rome in the 1600s? When was the worst period in history for the plague? How does Sobel refer to the returning plague?
3. What was the purpose of Galileo's next trip to Rome? Who did he see?
4. What were the accolades and criticisms following Pope Urban's inauguration?
5. Explain the invention of the pendulum clock and how it came about. What happened to the invention?
6. Discuss the eruption of the Thirty Years War, how it affected Rome, and who was involved.
7. Discuss some of the complaints the Galileis had regarding various illnesses.
8. Discuss Galileo's first trip to Rome to meet with Urban. Also discuss Galileo's friendship with Prince Cesi.
9. When the Galilei children were small, Galileo held two similar jobs in the math and science fields. What were the jobs and where were they? Why were the jobs unusual?
10. Explain the reaction of Maria Celeste upon learning the identity of the new Pope. What was Maris Celeste's recommendation to her father? Did Galileo take Maria Celeste's advice?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)