|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Galileo's brother?
2. What was the major complaint and source of illness at the convent?
(a) Spoiled food.
(b) Sick children.
3. The pope was fond of another of Galileo's works, title:
(a) The Astronomer.
(b) The Assayer.
(c) The Academist.
(d) The Geologist.
4. For some unknown reason Galileo did not save all of Maria Celeste's letters during that year. How many letters did Galileo manage to save?
5. Galileo was determined to prove the theories of which famous scientist?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which type of clock was invented by Galileo and another person?
2. Unlike Galileo's daughters, the son was able to become recognized by the church after he had been:
3. Which of the following was the main carrier of disease at this time?
4. What was the name of the convent that housed two of Galileo's daughters?
5. What word was used to describe Maria Celeste?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the first experience with a telescope. Also explain what it meant to the future study of the galaxy.
2. Urban was highly impressed with Galileo's work. Which new work struck the Pope as being brilliant? What did Galileo write in the dedication?
3. Name at least one of the major issues faced by Urban in his new position as Pope. How did Urban respond?
4. Why did Galileo have to go through regular channels if the Pope approved of the work? Who was responsible for issuing the printing licenses?
5. Discuss the eruption of the Thirty Years War, how it affected Rome, and who was involved.
6. Why do you think Maria Celeste had such a special bond with her father, aside from her position in the family?
7. Who were the other two Galilei children? What was their place in the family?
8. Despite scientific advancements many people were at a loss to explain the plague, how it spread, and how to cure it. Discuss some of the beliefs of the people.
9. In addition to helping Galileo with the printing license, other benefits came from his relationship with Caterina. What were the benefits?
10. What were the accolades and criticisms following Pope Urban's inauguration?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)