|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Galileo suggested to Maria Celeste that she petition this Pope for assistance.
2. Shortly after, Vincenzo and Sestilia announced the birth of their second child, a boy named:
3. One of the Pope's favorite passages of Galileo's work compares good philosophers to which bird?
4. Although it pained her to do so, Maria Celeste often went to Galileo for which of the following?
(d) New shoes.
5. What was the major complaint and source of illness at the convent?
(a) Spoiled food.
(c) Sick children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Italian city seemed to be the only one spared from the epidemic?
2. Which member of the Medici was installed as the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
3. Because of a lack of follow through, which inventor came up with the same idea less than twenty years later?
4. Who would have the final say on the approval of the book?
5. What was the name of the place Maria Celeste worked at the convent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the purpose of Galileo's next trip to Rome? Who did he see?
2. In Part Four, Galileo had to return to Rome to be tried for his crimes against the Church. Explain who was on Galileo's side to support him.
3. Which scientist most influenced the work of Galileo? What was Galileo's intention with his experiments?
4. Instead of informing Maria Celeste of all the happenings in Rome, Galileo spent his time doing other things. List at least one of the other things that occupied Galileo's time.
5. Discuss the illness contracted by Maria Celeste in March 1634. How was the illness contracted?
6. How did Maria Celeste's death take its toll on Galileo?
7. Describe Maria Celeste's birth and journey to the Convent at San Matteo.
8. Explain the reaction of Maria Celeste upon learning the identity of the new Pope. What was Maris Celeste's recommendation to her father? Did Galileo take Maria Celeste's advice?
9. Describe at least one of the requirements Galileo had to fulfill in order to return to Arcetri.
10. Discuss Galileo's first trip to Rome to meet with Urban. Also discuss Galileo's friendship with Prince Cesi.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)