|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it called when one builds a model of a new product?
2. Galileo was eventually named head mathematician and philosopher to which of the following people?
(a) Cardinal Richelieu.
(b) Pope Pius XII.
(c) Grand Duke of Tuscany.
(d) Archbishop of Canterbury.
3. In what year was Galileo's daughter born?
4. Galileo was afraid to send books to Rome because they would be:
5. Which Italian city seemed to be the only one spared from the epidemic?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous man was killed in the same year she was born?
2. Which item in Maria Celeste's room was in need of repair?
3. Shortly after, Vincenzo and Sestilia announced the birth of their second child, a boy named:
4. In 1623, one of the following was named as the new pope. Which man was it?
5. What tragic affliction was responsible for the death of Prince Cesi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the purpose of Galileo's next trip to Rome? Who did he see?
2. Why do you think Maria Celeste had such a special bond with her father, aside from her position in the family?
3. Explain the opening letter in "Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel. Who was the writer? What was the subject?
4. When did Virginia take her vows? Where did she get the name Maria Celeste?
5. When the Galilei children were small, Galileo held two similar jobs in the math and science fields. What were the jobs and where were they? Why were the jobs unusual?
6. Explain the invention of the pendulum clock and how it came about. What happened to the invention?
7. Who were the other two Galilei children? What was their place in the family?
8. Discuss Galileo's first trip to Rome to meet with Urban. Also discuss Galileo's friendship with Prince Cesi.
9. Why did Galileo have to go through regular channels if the Pope approved of the work? Who was responsible for issuing the printing licenses?
10. What was the name of the Pope elected in Part 2? When was the Pope elected? What was his former identity?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)