|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tragic affliction was responsible for the death of Prince Cesi?
(a) Bubonic Plague.
(d) Rheumatic Fever.
2. Galileo was eager to go to Rome to march with which prestigious group?
(a) College of Cardinals.
(b) Moravian Mathematicians.
(c) Lyncean Academicians.
(d) Roman Astronomers.
3. What is it called when a nun is required to stay inside the convent compound at all times?
4. What was the name of Galileo's brother?
5. Galileo was forced to travel to Rome to obtain which type of license?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Galileo stay in Rome?
2. What was the name of Galileo's host?
3. Which member of the Medici was installed as the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
4. The pope was fond of another of Galileo's works, title:
5. What name did the second daughter adopt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Maria Celeste had such a special bond with her father, aside from her position in the family?
2. Discuss Galileo's first trip to Rome to meet with Urban. Also discuss Galileo's friendship with Prince Cesi.
3. Who were the other two Galilei children? What was their place in the family?
4. Why did Galileo have to go through regular channels if the Pope approved of the work? Who was responsible for issuing the printing licenses?
5. Explain the opening letter in "Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel. Who was the writer? What was the subject?
6. How severe was the presence of the plague in Rome in the 1600s? When was the worst period in history for the plague? How does Sobel refer to the returning plague?
7. Discuss the eruption of the Thirty Years War, how it affected Rome, and who was involved.
8. What significant event took place during Galileo's time in Rome?
9. What was the major difference in the opportunities given to Vincenzio as opposed to those given to Maria Celeste and Arcangela?
10. Despite scientific advancements many people were at a loss to explain the plague, how it spread, and how to cure it. Discuss some of the beliefs of the people.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)