|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Galileo was forced to travel to Rome to obtain which type of license?
2. What word was used to describe Maria Celeste?
3. Galileo planned to make a detour on the way to the Vatican to visit his old friend:
4. What was the surname of Galileo's lover and mother to his children?
5. Which item in Maria Celeste's room was in need of repair?
(c) Door handle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Galileo's books was finally published in 1630?
2. What word is often used in regards to the presence of the Sun?
3. What was the name of Galileo's host?
4. What is the name of the order at the convent?
5. What word is used to describe something that is opposite or against?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the opening letter in "Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel. Who was the writer? What was the subject?
2. When did Virginia take her vows? Where did she get the name Maria Celeste?
3. Discuss some of the complaints the Galileis had regarding various illnesses.
4. Galileo suffered a tragedy shortly after the trip to Rome. What was the tragedy? What caused it?
5. What was the name of the Pope elected in Part 2? When was the Pope elected? What was his former identity?
6. What did Galileo send to Urban as soon as it was proper to do so? What was Galileo's hope in regards to a new relationship with an old friend?
7. What was the purpose of Galileo's next trip to Rome? Who did he see?
8. Urban was highly impressed with Galileo's work. Which new work struck the Pope as being brilliant? What did Galileo write in the dedication?
9. Why did Galileo have to go through regular channels if the Pope approved of the work? Who was responsible for issuing the printing licenses?
10. What was the Grand Duke's plan to stop the plague from spreading even further?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)