|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many bystanders were at the meeting of Galileo and the Office of the Inquisition?
2. Which Pope approved of Galileo's conviction?
3. To whom was the book dedicated?
(a) Ambassador Niiccolini.
(b) French ambassador.
(c) Maria Celeste.
(d) Pope Urban.
4. In what month did Maria Celeste die?
5. How many years did Galileo live after the death of Maria Celeste?
6. What word is used to indicate a joyous celebration?
7. Maria Celeste continued to worry about the state of Galileo's ______.
(b) Family relationships.
8. In this year, Maria Celeste was once again considered for which high level position at San Matteo?
(c) Mother Abbess.
(d) Mother Superior.
9. The nuns at the convent rejoiced with the news of Galileo's impending return. Which of the nuns ran to Maria Celeste crying with joy?
(a) Lead Suor.
(d) Mother Superior.
10. In 1633, the nuns complained of the excessive ____.
(b) Number of rats.
(d) Lack of food.
11. Which of the following was not one of the reasons given to the Pope by Niccolini?
(a) Old age.
(c) Connection to the Medicis.
(d) Acceptance of censure.
12. Which of the following was not one of Galileo's avid supporters?
(a) Fernando Medici.
(b) Pope Gregory.
(c) Cardinal Barberini.
(d) Francesco Niccolini.
13. The book would show observations and theories that went directly against the teachings of which famous man?
14. Galileo was sent back to Arcetri because his living situation was too pleasant in which city?
15. In what month did Niccolini petition the Pope once more?
Short Answer Questions
1. Aristotle believed that mathematicians focused on what type of questions?
2. What weather phenomenon plagued Arcetri in 1633?
3. Which item is not mentioned in the observations on gravity?
4. What was the main topic of this book?
5. in what months did the height of the problem hit?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)