|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which year did Galileo mail off the last pieces of the manuscript to his solicitor?
2. What is the standard title given to nuns at the convent?
3. What word is used to describe a long and arduous process?
4. Which item is not mentioned in the observations on gravity?
5. In which century was the monastery built?
6. At this time Galileo was living in which town or city?
7. What was the name of the high ranking member of the church that took "custody" of Galileo after the trial?
8. Which Pope approved of Galileo's conviction?
9. Although the Dialogue was never legally banned, its printing was ______.
(a) Constantly modified.
(d) Painstakingly slow.
10. In which country was the book eventually printed?
11. What is the name of the monastery that could have been used to contain Galileo after he left SIena?
(c) San Matteo.
(d) Sacred Heart.
12. Maria Celeste sent regular letters to her father, often enclosing prayers on which topic?
13. Anti-Catholics objected to the Pope rejecting Galileo's work solely on:
(a) Personal beliefs.
(b) Biblical grounds.
(c) Political pressure.
(d) Peer pressure.
14. Which of the following was not one of the reasons given to the Pope by Niccolini?
(a) Old age.
(b) Acceptance of censure.
(d) Connection to the Medicis.
15. What was Galileo's official position with the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
(a) Chief Mathematician.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the occupation of Galileo's Venetian friend?
2. What was the name of the doctor that cared for Maria Celeste?
3. in what months did the height of the problem hit?
4. In what year did Maria Celeste die?
5. What word is used to reference a report issued by the office to important officials?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)