|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was not one of the reasons given to the Pope by Niccolini?
(a) Connection to the Medicis.
(b) Old age.
(c) Acceptance of censure.
2. What word is used to describe the topic of the new book?
3. Which Pope approved of Galileo's conviction?
4. What was the name of the doctor that cared for Maria Celeste?
5. Which of the following was not one of Galileo's avid supporters?
(a) Francesco Niccolini.
(b) Cardinal Barberini.
(c) Pope Gregory.
(d) Fernando Medici.
6. Anti-Catholics objected to the Pope rejecting Galileo's work solely on:
(a) Peer pressure.
(b) Personal beliefs.
(c) Biblical grounds.
(d) Political pressure.
7. Who would act as judge(s) at Galileo's trial?
(b) Archduke of Tuscany.
8. The investigation into these affairs was known as the __________________.
9. What was the nickname given to Father Christopher Scheiner?
10. In this year, Maria Celeste was once again considered for which high level position at San Matteo?
(b) Mother Abbess.
(d) Mother Superior.
11. Galileo revisited the possibility of publishing which book despite Pope Urban's objection?
(a) Sun and the Moon.
(b) Discourse on Motion and Gravity.
(c) Two New Sciences.
(d) Mathematics as a Science.
12. What was the occupation of Galileo's Venetian friend?
13. In the autumn of 1633, Galileo began to experience the onset of which mental state?
14. Galileo was ordered to cease which of the following?
(a) Visiting Maria Celeste.
(d) Social contact.
15. What was the main topic of this book?
(b) Gravitational pull.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who left Galileo's presence at this time, much to Galileo's objection?
2. It is erroneously reported that Galileo was tried in which year?
3. What illness would eventually cause Maria Celeste's death?
4. Galileo was plagued with which affliction?
5. Due to Galileo's poor health, Niccolini repeatedly petitioned the Pope, asking for _________.
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)