|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Galileo would be allowed to go home if he agreed to do what to the Dialogue?
(a) Include the church.
2. What was the name of the woman's son?
3. What word did Galileo use to describe Maria Celeste's mind?
4. Galileo managed to maintain friendships with powerful people, including which of the following?
(a) First High Cardinal.
(b) Prince Medici.
(c) Grand Duke of Florence.
(d) Archbishop of Siena.
5. Maria Celeste hoped fervently that the Pope and others would dismiss the trial once they realized the extent of Galileo's _____.
6. What word is used to describe the topic of the new book?
7. Galileo was ordered to cease which of the following?
(b) Social contact.
(d) Visiting Maria Celeste.
8. What was Galileo's official position with the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
(b) Chief Mathematician.
9. To whom was the book dedicated?
(a) French ambassador.
(b) Ambassador Niiccolini.
(c) Pope Urban.
(d) Maria Celeste.
10. Where was this person's final destination?
(b) San Bruno.
11. Galileo suffered from many ailments involving his eyes. Which of the following was not one of those ailments?
(b) Pink Eye.
12. In what year did Maria Celeste die?
13. What is the name of the Pope's office?
(a) St. Peter's Square.
(b) Vatican City.
(c) Cardinal's Cell.
(d) Holy Office.
14. The book would show observations and theories that went directly against the teachings of which famous man?
15. What word is used by Niccolini that means the same thing as "interfered?"
Short Answer Questions
1. Galileo revisited the possibility of publishing which book despite Pope Urban's objection?
2. Aristotle believed that mathematicians focused on what type of questions?
3. What emotion did Galileo experience because of the departure?
4. In which country was the book eventually printed?
5. Although the Dialogue was never legally banned, its printing was ______.
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)