|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At this time, Galileo's health was poor. It was recommended that while in Rome, Galileo should stay ___________.
(a) In a hospital.
(b) In seclusion.
(d) In bed.
2. In what month did Niccolini petition the Pope once more?
3. In which century was the monastery built?
4. In this year, Maria Celeste was once again considered for which high level position at San Matteo?
(c) Mother Superior.
(d) Mother Abbess.
5. What word is best used to describe a delay or block in an experiment?
6. What word is used by Niccolini that means the same thing as "interfered?"
7. Maria Celeste managed to keep informed of Galileo's trials with the help of which family member's brother?
8. At this time Galileo was living in which town or city?
9. Maria Celeste hoped fervently that the Pope and others would dismiss the trial once they realized the extent of Galileo's _____.
10. What is the standard title given to nuns at the convent?
11. Galileo revisited the possibility of publishing which book despite Pope Urban's objection?
(a) Discourse on Motion and Gravity.
(b) Mathematics as a Science.
(c) Two New Sciences.
(d) Sun and the Moon.
12. What word did Galileo use to describe Maria Celeste's mind?
13. The nuns at the convent rejoiced with the news of Galileo's impending return. Which of the nuns ran to Maria Celeste crying with joy?
(c) Lead Suor.
(d) Mother Superior.
14. Which of the following was a major contributor to Galileo's death?
(a) Kidney problems.
(d) Bubonic plague.
15. In 1633, the nuns complained of the excessive ____.
(a) Number of rats.
(c) Lack of food.
Short Answer Questions
1. There was great hope that Galileo's new book would be published in which country?
2. What illness would eventually cause Maria Celeste's death?
3. Who would act as judge(s) at Galileo's trial?
4. Anti-Catholics objected to the Pope rejecting Galileo's work solely on:
5. According to Galileo, how many "new" sciences were being introduced?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)