|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Maria Celeste die?
2. In which century was the monastery built?
3. Galileo managed to maintain friendships with powerful people, including which of the following?
(a) Prince Medici.
(b) Archbishop of Siena.
(c) First High Cardinal.
(d) Grand Duke of Florence.
4. What was the name of the high ranking member of the church that took "custody" of Galileo after the trial?
5. The book would show observations and theories that went directly against the teachings of which famous man?
6. Aristotle believed that mathematicians focused on what type of questions?
7. To whom was the book dedicated?
(a) Ambassador Niiccolini.
(b) French ambassador.
(c) Pope Urban.
(d) Maria Celeste.
8. Galileo suffered from many ailments involving his eyes. Which of the following was not one of those ailments?
(d) Pink Eye.
9. There was great hope that Galileo's new book would be published in which country?
10. Which of the following was a major contributor to Galileo's death?
(a) Bubonic plague.
(b) Kidney problems.
11. Who left Galileo's presence at this time, much to Galileo's objection?
12. What word is used to indicate a joyous celebration?
13. Which of the following was not one of the reasons given to the Pope by Niccolini?
(a) Acceptance of censure.
(b) Old age.
(d) Connection to the Medicis.
14. What was the occupation of Galileo's Venetian friend?
15. By this time Mrs. Niccolini had earned the title of __________.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1633, the nuns complained of the excessive ____.
2. How many years did Galileo live after the death of Maria Celeste?
3. Galileo was sent back to Arcetri because his living situation was too pleasant in which city?
4. Anti-Catholics objected to the Pope rejecting Galileo's work solely on:
5. How many bystanders were at the meeting of Galileo and the Office of the Inquisition?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)