|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Maria Celeste worried that the stress of the trial would interfere with Galileo's ____.
(b) Mental state.
2. What was Galileo's official position with the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
(a) Chief Mathematician.
3. Although the Dialogue was never legally banned, its printing was ______.
(a) Constantly modified.
(b) Painstakingly slow.
4. According to Galileo, how many "new" sciences were being introduced?
5. Who would act as judge(s) at Galileo's trial?
(c) Archduke of Tuscany.
6. In 1633, the nuns complained of the excessive ____.
(a) Lack of food.
(d) Number of rats.
7. If Galileo was able to prove that science had a legitimate place in the world, the Pope would no longer appear to be:
8. Maria Celeste hoped fervently that the Pope and others would dismiss the trial once they realized the extent of Galileo's _____.
9. What is the standard title given to nuns at the convent?
10. In what month did Maria Celeste die?
11. Compared to Rome, the atmosphere in Venice was refereed to as being _____.
12. What was the main topic of this book?
(d) Gravitational pull.
13. Which Pope approved the Edict of 1616?
14. At this time, Galileo's health was poor. It was recommended that while in Rome, Galileo should stay ___________.
(a) In seclusion.
(b) In bed.
(d) In a hospital.
15. What was the name of the high ranking member of the church that took "custody" of Galileo after the trial?
Short Answer Questions
1. Geri Bocchineri commented that the death of Maria Celeste was a true case of what?
2. Which item is not mentioned in the observations on gravity?
3. The book would show observations and theories that went directly against the teachings of which famous man?
4. What was the first name of Mrs. Niccolini?
5. Galileo revisited the possibility of publishing which book despite Pope Urban's objection?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)