|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the occupation of Galileo's Venetian friend?
2. If Galileo was able to prove that science had a legitimate place in the world, the Pope would no longer appear to be:
3. Who left Galileo's presence at this time, much to Galileo's objection?
4. In 1633, the nuns complained of the excessive ____.
(a) Number of rats.
(d) Lack of food.
5. The investigation into these affairs was known as the __________________.
6. Galileo managed to maintain friendships with powerful people, including which of the following?
(a) Grand Duke of Florence.
(b) Prince Medici.
(c) First High Cardinal.
(d) Archbishop of Siena.
7. What is the name of the monastery that could have been used to contain Galileo after he left SIena?
(c) San Matteo.
(d) Sacred Heart.
8. The book would show observations and theories that went directly against the teachings of which famous man?
9. in what months did the height of the problem hit?
(a) October and November.
(b) November and December.
(c) April and June.
(d) September and October.
10. In the autumn of 1633, Galileo began to experience the onset of which mental state?
11. What emotion did Galileo experience because of the departure?
12. Galileo began a new book, the idea for which had been ruminating for nearly ____ years.
13. In what month did Niccolini petition the Pope once more?
14. Which Pope approved the Edict of 1616?
15. How many bystanders were at the meeting of Galileo and the Office of the Inquisition?
Short Answer Questions
1. Galileo communicated the news of Maria Celeste's death to his friend Elia Diodati, who lived in which major European city?
2. Although the Dialogue was never legally banned, its printing was ______.
3. The purpose of leaving Galileo was to pursue opportunities in which profession?
4. Maria Celeste hoped fervently that the Pope and others would dismiss the trial once they realized the extent of Galileo's _____.
5. What weather phenomenon plagued Arcetri in 1633?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)