|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Galileo revisited the possibility of publishing which book despite Pope Urban's objection?
(a) Two New Sciences.
(b) Sun and the Moon.
(c) Mathematics as a Science.
(d) Discourse on Motion and Gravity.
2. Galileo's trial and exile left him feeling like which of the following?
3. There was great hope that Galileo's new book would be published in which country?
4. If Galileo was able to prove that science had a legitimate place in the world, the Pope would no longer appear to be:
5. What is the standard title given to nuns at the convent?
6. How many cardinals would preside over Galileo's trial?
7. Who left Galileo's presence at this time, much to Galileo's objection?
8. What continued to plague Galileo up until the time he died?
(a) Lack of recognition.
(b) Loss of Arcangela.
(d) Crohn's disease.
9. What illness would eventually cause Maria Celeste's death?
(c) Rheumatic fever.
10. Who would act as judge(s) at Galileo's trial?
(d) Archduke of Tuscany.
11. Maria Celeste hoped fervently that the Pope and others would dismiss the trial once they realized the extent of Galileo's _____.
12. Maria Celeste sent regular letters to her father, often enclosing prayers on which topic?
13. How was Cardinal Barberini related to Pope Urban?
14. At this time Galileo was living in which town or city?
15. Galileo managed to maintain friendships with powerful people, including which of the following?
(a) Archbishop of Siena.
(b) Grand Duke of Florence.
(c) First High Cardinal.
(d) Prince Medici.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was a major contributor to Galileo's death?
2. By this time Mrs. Niccolini had earned the title of __________.
3. After the death of Maria Celeste which relative moved into Galileo's house?
4. Galileo suffered from many ailments involving his eyes. Which of the following was not one of those ailments?
5. Which of the following was not one of Galileo's avid supporters?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)