|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The man was killed, in part, for stating which of the following:
(a) Earth is not flat.
(b) There are other planets in the galaxy.
(c) Galileo should be canonized.
(d) Earth travels around the Sun.
2. When Galileo finished with his work, he sent it to Maria Celeste who would painstakingly _______ it.
3. The son was intended to complete his education at a university in which city?
4. For some unknown reason Galileo did not save all of Maria Celeste's letters during that year. How many letters did Galileo manage to save?
5. Unlike Galileo's daughters, the son was able to become recognized by the church after he had been:
6. In 1627, Italy was on the brink of which upcoming skirmish?
(a) Thirty Years War.
(b) Italian Cival War.
(c) Revolutionary War.
(d) War of the Roses.
7. Which of Galileo's books was finally published in 1630?
(a) Discourse on Gravity.
(b) Dialogue on the Tides.
(c) From Here to the Stars.
(d) Secrets of the Sun and Moon.
8. What was the name of the convent that housed two of Galileo's daughters?
(a) Convent of San Matteo.
(b) Convent of the Sacred Heart.
(c) Convent of St. Augustine.
(d) Convent of St. Francis.
9. What was the name of Galileo's brother?
10. Maria Celeste took on the role of teacher in which area?
11. What was the name of Galileo's host?
12. What was the name of the town where the convent was located?
13. Which type of clock was invented by Galileo and another person?
14. Officials from which region would be responsible for approving Galileo's manuscript?
15. How long did Galileo stay in Rome this time?
(a) 4 months.
(b) 3 months.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 2 months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the major complaint and source of illness at the convent?
2. What was the affectionate nickname of this contact?
3. What tragic affliction was responsible for the death of Prince Cesi?
4. How old was Maria Celeste when she entered the convent?
5. Which of the following was the main carrier of disease at this time?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)