|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to impress the new pope, Galileo sent a copy of his yet to be published work titled:
(a) Treatise on the Tides.
(b) Discourse on the Stars.
(c) Monologue on the Moons.
(d) Investigating the Milky Way.
2. In what year was Galileo's daughter born?
3. The author speaks at length of the war, which involved which country?
4. How long did Galileo stay in Rome?
(a) 3 weeks.
(b) 5 weeks.
(c) 6 weeks.
(d) 4 weeks.
5. The son was intended to complete his education at a university in which city?
6. What was the name of Galileo's host?
7. What was the name of the youngest Galilei child.
8. It was intended that the girl stay in the convent until her parents could find:
(a) A husband.
(b) An adoptive family.
(c) Money for college.
(d) A place to live.
9. What was the name of the convent that housed two of Galileo's daughters?
(a) Convent of St. Augustine.
(b) Convent of St. Francis.
(c) Convent of San Matteo.
(d) Convent of the Sacred Heart.
10. In what month did the Pope take office?
11. What was the name of the famous and extremely powerful family from that country?
12. In 1627, Italy was on the brink of which upcoming skirmish?
(a) Thirty Years War.
(b) Revolutionary War.
(c) War of the Roses.
(d) Italian Cival War.
13. What word is used to describe something that is opposite or against?
14. What was the surname of Galileo's lover and mother to his children?
15. What was the daughter's first name after she was taken into the convent and received her vows?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it called when someone discredits or speaks out against the church?
2. Which type of clock was invented by Galileo and another person?
3. In 1630, approximately _____ Florentines died from disease?
4. Which person was eager to step forward to help the convent through their leanest hours?
5. What caused the delay in Galileo's trip to the Vatican?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)