|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the daughter's first name after she was taken into the convent and received her vows?
2. How old was Maria Celeste when she took her vows?
3. Which of Galileo's books was finally published in 1630?
(a) Dialogue on the Tides.
(b) Discourse on Gravity.
(c) From Here to the Stars.
(d) Secrets of the Sun and Moon.
4. Early the next year, a quarantine that would last ______ days was put into effect.
5. Galileo was afraid to send books to Rome because they would be:
6. How was the man killed?
(b) Burned at the stake.
7. What was the major complaint and source of illness at the convent?
(a) Sick children.
(c) Spoiled food.
8. The author speaks at length of the war, which involved which country?
9. Unlike Galileo's daughters, the son was able to become recognized by the church after he had been:
10. Maria Celeste recalls being in the garden with her father learning about which of the following?
11. What was the name of Galileo's brother?
12. What new law began to frighten many of Galileo's colleagues?
(a) Edict of 1616.
(b) Heretic Law.
(c) Astronomers' Discourse.
(d) Mathematicians' Treatise.
13. What tragic affliction was responsible for the death of Prince Cesi?
(a) Bubonic Plague.
(c) Rheumatic Fever.
14. What was the name of Galileo's contact within the Vatican?
15. In 1623, one of the following was named as the new pope. Which man was it?
(a) Cardinal Mallazzi.
(b) Cardinal Tringali.
(c) Cardinal Barberini.
(d) Cardinal Benedict.
Short Answer Questions
1. It was intended that the girl stay in the convent until her parents could find:
2. In what month did the Pope take office?
3. What was the name of the place Maria Celeste worked at the convent?
4. Galileo was determined to prove the theories of which famous scientist?
5. How long did Galileo stay in Rome this time?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)