|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was Galileo's daughter born?
2. What name did the second daughter adopt?
3. What is it called when a nun is required to stay inside the convent compound at all times?
4. Unlike Galileo's daughters, the son was able to become recognized by the church after he had been:
5. Officials from which region would be responsible for approving Galileo's manuscript?
6. Galileo planned to make a detour on the way to the Vatican to visit his old friend:
7. In what year was the first letter written from Maria to Galileo?
8. How long did it take before the printing was complete?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 9 months.
(d) 1 year.
9. Because of a lack of follow through, which inventor came up with the same idea less than twenty years later?
10. What was the name of the town where the convent was located?
11. When Galileo finished with his work, he sent it to Maria Celeste who would painstakingly _______ it.
12. Which of the following was the main carrier of disease at this time?
13. It was intended that the girl stay in the convent until her parents could find:
(a) A place to live.
(b) Money for college.
(c) An adoptive family.
(d) A husband.
14. According to the law, it was likely that many people in Galileo's occupation would be considered to be which of the following?
15. Convents in Italy were different than in other countries because they were permitted to own which of the following?
(b) Farm equipment.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1623, one of the following was named as the new pope. Which man was it?
2. How old was Maria Celeste when she took her vows?
3. Early the next year, a quarantine that would last ______ days was put into effect.
4. The author speaks at length of the war, which involved which country?
5. What caused the delay in Galileo's trip to the Vatican?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)