|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was the first letter written from Maria to Galileo?
2. Shortly after, Vincenzo and Sestilia announced the birth of their second child, a boy named:
3. The son was intended to complete his education at a university in which city?
4. Who assisted Galileo and Maria Celeste in one particular project?
5. The pope was fond of another of Galileo's works, title:
(a) The Assayer.
(b) The Academist.
(c) The Astronomer.
(d) The Geologist.
6. Although it pained her to do so, Maria Celeste often went to Galileo for which of the following?
(c) New shoes.
7. What was the name of Galileo's contact within the Vatican?
8. Galileo suggested to Maria Celeste that she petition this Pope for assistance.
9. What was the affectionate nickname of this contact?
(a) Cardinal Creepy.
(b) Monsignor Crab.
(c) Brother Ghoul.
(d) Father Monster.
10. What was the name of the youngest Galilei child.
11. It was intended that the girl stay in the convent until her parents could find:
(a) A husband.
(b) A place to live.
(c) Money for college.
(d) An adoptive family.
12. What name did the second daughter adopt?
13. What tragic affliction was responsible for the death of Prince Cesi?
(a) Bubonic Plague.
(d) Rheumatic Fever.
14. To which royal figure was the work dedicated?
(a) Viscount of Rome.
(b) Grand Duke.
(c) Crown Prince.
(d) Second Baron.
15. When Galileo arrived in Rome, he was lodged at which of the following?
(a) Medici Court.
(b) Tuscan Embassy.
(c) College of Cardinals.
(d) Ambassadors Row.
Short Answer Questions
1. Galileo left his son with Marina and took his daughters to which Italian city?
2. What word was used to describe Maria Celeste?
3. Which Italian city seemed to be the only one spared from the epidemic?
4. In 1623, one of the following was named as the new pope. Which man was it?
5. When Galileo finished with his work, he sent it to Maria Celeste who would painstakingly _______ it.
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)