|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Galileo suggested to Maria Celeste that she petition this Pope for assistance.
2. What was the name of the youngest Galilei child.
3. To which royal figure was the work dedicated?
(a) Grand Duke.
(b) Viscount of Rome.
(c) Crown Prince.
(d) Second Baron.
4. In 1623, one of the following was named as the new pope. Which man was it?
(a) Cardinal Barberini.
(b) Cardinal Mallazzi.
(c) Cardinal Tringali.
(d) Cardinal Benedict.
5. Galileo was eventually named head mathematician and philosopher to which of the following people?
(a) Archbishop of Canterbury.
(b) Grand Duke of Tuscany.
(c) Pope Pius XII.
(d) Cardinal Richelieu.
6. Unlike Galileo's daughters, the son was able to become recognized by the church after he had been:
7. What was the name of Galileo's second daughter to enter the convent?
8. What caused the delay in Galileo's trip to the Vatican?
(a) Financial problems.
(d) Death in the family.
9. The letter was written to express condolences for the loss of ______, Galileo's sister.
10. What was the name of the town where the friend lived?
11. How old was Galileo when Marina died?
12. In what year did Galileo finally set off for the Vatican?
13. For some unknown reason Galileo did not save all of Maria Celeste's letters during that year. How many letters did Galileo manage to save?
14. How long did Galileo stay in Rome?
(a) 5 weeks.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) 6 weeks.
(d) 4 weeks.
15. Early the next year, a quarantine that would last ______ days was put into effect.
Short Answer Questions
1. Galileo was afraid to send books to Rome because they would be:
2. What was the name of Galileo's brother?
3. Galileo planned to make a detour on the way to the Vatican to visit his old friend:
4. When Galileo arrived in Rome, he was lodged at which of the following?
5. What name did the second daughter adopt?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)