|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the surname of Galileo's lover and mother to his children?
2. In what year was the first letter written from Maria to Galileo?
3. The letter was written to express condolences for the loss of ______, Galileo's sister.
4. What was the name of Galileo's contact within the Vatican?
5. How was the man killed?
(b) Burned at the stake.
6. According to the law, it was likely that many people in Galileo's occupation would be considered to be which of the following?
7. How old was Galileo when Marina died?
8. In what year was Galileo first told to desist on his astronomical work?
9. Galileo was forced to travel to Rome to obtain which type of license?
10. Unlike Galileo's daughters, the son was able to become recognized by the church after he had been:
11. How long did Galileo stay in Rome?
(a) 3 weeks.
(b) 5 weeks.
(c) 4 weeks.
(d) 6 weeks.
12. In 1627, Italy was on the brink of which upcoming skirmish?
(a) Italian Cival War.
(b) Thirty Years War.
(c) War of the Roses.
(d) Revolutionary War.
13. Galileo planned to make a detour on the way to the Vatican to visit his old friend:
14. Officials from which region would be responsible for approving Galileo's manuscript?
15. Which Pope was often referred to as the "Poet Pope?"
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of the Medici was installed as the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
2. The author speaks at length of the war, which involved which country?
3. The pope was fond of another of Galileo's works, title:
4. What was the name of the town where the convent was located?
5. Which item in Maria Celeste's room was in need of repair?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)