|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month did the Pope take office?
2. The letter was written to express condolences for the loss of ______, Galileo's sister.
3. What new law began to frighten many of Galileo's colleagues?
(a) Edict of 1616.
(b) Heretic Law.
(c) Mathematicians' Treatise.
(d) Astronomers' Discourse.
4. How many copies of the book were published once it was approved?
5. Galileo was determined to prove the theories of which famous scientist?
6. Because of a lack of follow through, which inventor came up with the same idea less than twenty years later?
7. Galileo was eager to go to Rome to march with which prestigious group?
(a) College of Cardinals.
(b) Moravian Mathematicians.
(c) Lyncean Academicians.
(d) Roman Astronomers.
8. How long did it take before the printing was complete?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 9 months.
(d) 1 year.
9. What was the name of the youngest Galilei child.
10. What was the surname of Galileo's lover and mother to his children?
11. Galileo went to work in the court of which royal?
(a) Cosimo de' Medici.
(b) Cardinal Allegretti.
(c) Guido Bruno.
(d) Pope John I.
12. In what year was the first letter written from Maria to Galileo?
13. Although it pained her to do so, Maria Celeste often went to Galileo for which of the following?
(a) New shoes.
14. How old was Maria Celeste when she entered the convent?
15. Which type of clock was invented by Galileo and another person?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the order at the convent?
2. In what year was Galileo first told to desist on his astronomical work?
3. What was the name of Galileo's second daughter to enter the convent?
4. How old was the Cardinal when he accepted the position of the Supreme Pontiff?
5. How old was Maria Celeste when she took her vows?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)