Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims that Galileo would damn him if he (Galileo) would not see him?
2. While waiting to hear news of the inquisition, what are the "Little Monk" and Federzoni doing?
3. What is Virginia sewing at the opening of Scene VIII?
4. What does Federzoni think has begun, "the hour of its birth," when the bell does not ring at the time the inquisitors thought it would?
5. At the opening of Scene IX, who is Galileo and Virginia waiting to be admitted by?
Galileo brings up the concept of price verses value. Discuss Galileo's thoughts on this belief. What is the difference between price and value according to Galileo and the text? Use textual evidence to support your answer.
Galileo, even against the majority of society, honestly believed in his teachings. Find three examples about why Galileo believed that his teachings were correct and should be accepted by the Church and discuss their importance.
The invention of the telescope creates social unrest given the new discoveries that Galileo comes upon from peering through it. Therefore, based upon the discovery of the telescope, society experiences unrest because of the questions that the new discoveries create in regard to currently socially accepted beliefs, i.e. the Earth is the center of the universe. Based upon this fact, discuss two textually specific examples where scientific discoveries created social unrest. What was the discovery? Why did society react as it did? What was the reaction of Galileo to the unrest? What was the outcome of the unrest?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)