|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the dates that Scene XII took place?
2. What does the new Pope, at the opening of Scene VIII, want Galileo to study?
3. How many months of pay does the Court owe Galileo? (in Scene Nine)
4. Why does Sarti tell Virginia to go to the University to see an astronomer?
5. What does Signor Gaffone give to Virginia, "in mint condition," to give to her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the astronomer at the University tell Virginia about her horoscope?
2. Why is Galileo not worried about the Cardinal Inquisitor being in Florence?
3. What were the problems that Galileo faced with living in both Florence and the Republic regarding the Discorsi?
4. Why does Vanni want Galileo to leave Florence?
5. Why does Galileo state that he prefers healthy oysters?
6. What problems does Virginia find with Galileo traveling to Padua and taking time off?
7. What do the experiment with the iron needle and water prove?
8. What lie does Galileo tell Virginia about being summoned by The Duke?
9. Why does Vanni tell Galileo that he is on his side regarding Galileo's teachings?
10. What do Andrea and the "Little Monk" compare the possibility of Galileo recanting to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The invention of the telescope creates social unrest given the new discoveries that Galileo comes upon from peering through it. Therefore, based upon the discovery of the telescope, society experiences unrest because of the questions that the new discoveries create in regard to currently socially accepted beliefs, i.e. the Earth is the center of the universe. Based upon this fact, discuss two textually specific examples where scientific discoveries created social unrest. What was the discovery? Why did society react as it did? What was the reaction of Galileo to the unrest? What was the outcome of the unrest?
Essay Topic 2
Two of the scientific instruments/discoveries that Galileo made were concepts derived by other people. Discuss what kind of person/scientist that made Galileo. Do you think that science is a constantly evolving theory? Can discoveries be made by one person alone? Or did Galileo have the right, as a scientist, to "better" what had been made/speculated on to that point?
Essay Topic 3
In Scene Thirteen, Galileo received a gift of two plucked geese. The peasant who delivered the geese was told to tell Galileo that "They are from someone passing through." Who do you believe sent the geese to Galileo? Why do you believe this? Use textual evidence to support your answer.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)