|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sarti tell Virginia to go to the University to see an astronomer?
2. What is the date at the opening of Scene XI?
3. What does Galileo claim the he knows the difference between when Vanni tells him he is "unable to distinguish your friends from your enemies"?
4. What type of language does the Inquisitor say that Galileo writes in?
5. What author has Galileo begun to read again? (Revealed by Galileo to the "Little Monk" during their conversation in Scene VII.)
Short Essay Questions
1. During Galileo's students conversation, while waiting for Galileo's recanting, the students did find some humor in the situation. What humor did they find?
2. What do Andrea and the "Little Monk" compare the possibility of Galileo recanting to?
3. Why does the "Little Monk" use the story of his family and town's history to show Galileo his fears about the mixing of science and religion?
4. What does the Court's expect to happen at 5:00 on the day of Galileo's inquisition?
5. What were the problems that Galileo faced with living in both Florence and the Republic regarding the Discorsi?
6. What do the experiment with the iron needle and water prove?
7. What lie does Galileo tell Virginia about being summoned by The Duke?
8. Why does Vanni want Galileo to leave Florence?
9. Why does Galileo think that Cardinal Bellarmin gifted him a Cellini clock?
10. What were Federzoni and Andrea's worries concerning Galileo's Inquisition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the carnival scene. What was important about the scene? What did you learn from the scene? Given that it takes the movement away from the main action of the play, why was the scene necessary?
Essay Topic 2
Galileo brings up the concept of price verses value. Discuss Galileo's thoughts on this belief. What is the difference between price and value according to Galileo and the text? Use textual evidence to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think was the main theme of the play? Discuss your answer using evidence gathered to support your claim. Why did you think that this was the theme of the play? What support did you find in the play? Why did this support your claim for this being the theme?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)