|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Virginia in Scene XII?
2. While waiting for Galileo's inquisition to finish, what does Andrea say he fears would never be completed?
3. While waiting to hear news of the inquisition, what are the "Little Monk" and Federzoni doing?
4. Who, from Amsterdam, wanted Andrea to ask about Galileo's health?
5. Why does Galileo tell Andrea that they could not investigate sunspots?
Short Essay Questions
1. During Galileo's students conversation, while waiting for Galileo's recanting, the students did find some humor in the situation. What humor did they find?
2. What problems does Virginia find with Galileo traveling to Padua and taking time off?
3. What did the astronomer at the University tell Virginia about her horoscope?
4. When at the summoning Galileo, Galileo tells Virginia that he is afraid of Rector Gaffone. Why is Galileo afraid of the Rector?
5. In the opening of Scene VII, why does the "Little Monk" admit to Galileo that he has not been able to sleep?
6. What does the Court's expect to happen at 5:00 on the day of Galileo's inquisition?
7. Why does Ludovico call off the wedding to Virginia?
8. Why does Galileo use the satire of Horace to explain the necessity of all parts of his study being present in his observations?
9. What was Galileo speaking about to the "Little Monk" when he spoke of his feelings for beauty and truth?
10. Why does Vanni tell Galileo that he is on his side regarding Galileo's teachings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"He who does not know the truth is merely an idiot, but he who knows it and calls it a lie, is a criminal." Both Galileo and Andrea spoke these words during the action of the play. Find and discuss two references to being an "idiot" and a "criminal" in the play. Who was regarded as an "idiot"? Why? Who was regarded as a "criminal"? Why?
Essay Topic 2
In Scene Thirteen, Galileo received a gift of two plucked geese. The peasant who delivered the geese was told to tell Galileo that "They are from someone passing through." Who do you believe sent the geese to Galileo? Why do you believe this? Use textual evidence to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the scenarios that Galileo used to describe a statement or argument. Describe why the argument/statement worked to explain what Galileo was trying to say. What point was he trying to make? What was the example that he used to illustrate his meaning? How effective was the illustration?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)