|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims that Galileo would damn him if he (Galileo) would not see him?
2. While waiting to hear news of the inquisition, what are the "Little Monk" and Federzoni doing?
3. What is Virginia sewing at the opening of Scene VIII?
4. What does Federzoni think has begun, "the hour of its birth," when the bell does not ring at the time the inquisitors thought it would?
5. At the opening of Scene IX, who is Galileo and Virginia waiting to be admitted by?
Essay Topic 1
What do you think was the main theme of the play? Discuss your answer using evidence gathered to support your claim. Why did you think that this was the theme of the play? What support did you find in the play? Why did this support your claim for this being the theme?
Essay Topic 2
Many times, Galileo implied that a woman's place was not in the scientific world. Find at least two examples and discuss how these thoughts contradicted Galileo's teachings using textual evidence from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Two of the scientific instruments/discoveries that Galileo made were concepts derived by other people. Discuss what kind of person/scientist that made Galileo. Do you think that science is a constantly evolving theory? Can discoveries be made by one person alone? Or did Galileo have the right, as a scientist, to "better" what had been made/speculated on to that point?
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)