|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only thing that the people from the "Little Monk's" village knew about?
2. According to the "Little Monk," how many nights passed since he had been able to sleep?
3. What does the Grand Duke want from Galileo when he and Virginia wait to be recognized?
4. What manuscripts does Galileo give to the "Little Monk"?
5. To where does the "High Official" tell Galileo that he has to go to face the Holy Inquisition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vanni want Galileo to leave Florence?
2. Why is Galileo not worried about the Cardinal Inquisitor being in Florence?
3. What did the astronomer at the University tell Virginia about her horoscope?
4. In the opening of Scene VII, why does the "Little Monk" admit to Galileo that he has not been able to sleep?
5. Why does Galileo state that he prefers healthy oysters?
6. When at the summoning Galileo, Galileo tells Virginia that he is afraid of Rector Gaffone. Why is Galileo afraid of the Rector?
7. What does the Court's expect to happen at 5:00 on the day of Galileo's inquisition?
8. Why does Vanni tell Galileo that he is on his side regarding Galileo's teachings?
9. What was Galileo speaking about to the "Little Monk" when he spoke of his feelings for beauty and truth?
10. Why does The Grand Duke ask Galileo about his eyesight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Galileo brings up the concept of price verses value. Discuss Galileo's thoughts on this belief. What is the difference between price and value according to Galileo and the text? Use textual evidence to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Courage is a theme masked by the scientific overtone of the play, but courage is relevant. Find three courageous moments during the play. Discuss the person who was courageous, why they were courageous, and what happened to them because of their courage. Cite examples from the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Galileo was surrounded by students throughout most of the play. Choose the student that you found to be the most loyal and least loyal to Galileo. Compare two characters. Use textual evidence to support your answer.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)