|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While waiting to hear news of the inquisition, what are the "Little Monk" and Federzoni doing?
2. What type of language does the Inquisitor say that Galileo writes in?
3. At the opening of Scene IX, who is Galileo and Virginia waiting to be admitted by?
4. What does the Grand Duke want from Galileo when he and Virginia wait to be recognized?
5. Why does Galileo tell Andrea that they could not investigate sunspots?
Essay Topic 1
The invention of the telescope creates social unrest given the new discoveries that Galileo comes upon from peering through it. Therefore, based upon the discovery of the telescope, society experiences unrest because of the questions that the new discoveries create in regard to currently socially accepted beliefs, i.e. the Earth is the center of the universe. Based upon this fact, discuss two textually specific examples where scientific discoveries created social unrest. What was the discovery? Why did society react as it did? What was the reaction of Galileo to the unrest? What was the outcome of the unrest?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the difference between the Ptolemaic model and the Copernican model. What did the Ptolemaic model represent? What did the Copernican model represent? Why was the Ptolemaic model accepted over the Copernican model? What did the acceptance of the Copernican model suggest?
Essay Topic 3
The truth of science and the truth of religion are conflicted throughout the play. Discuss the following: 1) Why was the truth of religion weighed heavier than the truth of science? 2) How did new thought challenge the church? 3) How did the Church have so much clout in determining its power over new thought related to science?
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)