|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the monk say that he has to have permission from before Galileo can see an eye doctor?
2. What does the Grand Duke want from Galileo when he and Virginia wait to be recognized?
3. Whose palace is the beginning of Scene IX set at?
4. Who was Pope Urban VII, prior to receiving his papal name?
5. What astrological sign does Virgina align with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Galileo state that he prefers healthy oysters?
2. What does Galileo say regarding his public recanting of his teachings?
3. What was Galileo speaking about to the "Little Monk" when he spoke of his feelings for beauty and truth?
4. What were the problems that Galileo faced with living in both Florence and the Republic regarding the Discorsi?
5. Why does Vanni tell Galileo that he is on his side regarding Galileo's teachings?
6. What does Brecht mean when he wrote, "The depths are hot, the heights are chill. The streets are loud, the court is still" at the opening of Scene IX?
7. What does Andrea say the inquisition was doing to the "truth"?
8. What were Federzoni and Andrea's worries concerning Galileo's Inquisition?
9. Why is Galileo not worried about the Cardinal Inquisitor being in Florence?
10. In the opening of Scene VII, why does the "Little Monk" admit to Galileo that he has not been able to sleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Character Analysis: Discuss Galileo as a character. What kind of character was Galileo? Use textual evidence to support each of the three character traits that you align with Galileo.
Essay Topic 2
"He who does not know the truth is merely an idiot, but he who knows it and calls it a lie, is a criminal." Both Galileo and Andrea spoke these words during the action of the play. Find and discuss two references to being an "idiot" and a "criminal" in the play. Who was regarded as an "idiot"? Why? Who was regarded as a "criminal"? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In Scene Thirteen, Galileo received a gift of two plucked geese. The peasant who delivered the geese was told to tell Galileo that "They are from someone passing through." Who do you believe sent the geese to Galileo? Why do you believe this? Use textual evidence to support your answer.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)