|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Scene XI take place?
2. To what day, did the opening of Scene XII, say that Galileo would be a prisoner of the Church?
3. Who does Galileo tell Virginia that he was afraid of?
4. What are the dates that Scene XII took place?
5. Where does Galileo hide a copy of his Discorsi?
Short Essay Questions
1. During Galileo's students conversation, while waiting for Galileo's recanting, the students did find some humor in the situation. What humor did they find?
2. Why does Galileo state that he prefers healthy oysters?
3. Why does Vanni want Galileo to leave Florence?
4. What did the astronomer at the University tell Virginia about her horoscope?
5. Why does the "Little Monk" use the story of his family and town's history to show Galileo his fears about the mixing of science and religion?
6. What were the problems that Galileo faced with living in both Florence and the Republic regarding the Discorsi?
7. Why does Galileo use the satire of Horace to explain the necessity of all parts of his study being present in his observations?
8. Why does Galileo think that Cardinal Bellarmin gifted him a Cellini clock?
9. What was Galileo speaking about to the "Little Monk" when he spoke of his feelings for beauty and truth?
10. What does Brecht mean when he wrote, "The depths are hot, the heights are chill. The streets are loud, the court is still" at the opening of Scene IX?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"I am entirely in agreement with the position taken up by Cardinal Spoletti towards the mutinous rope-makers, namely, that it is better to dole out soup in the name of Christian brotherly love than to pay them more for their" hawsers and bell-ropes. For surely it must be wiser to fortify their faith rather than their greed. The Apostle Paul said: Charity aboundeth." Galileo made the following statement in response to a question posed by Monsignor Carpula for the archbishop. After making the statement, Galileo worried if one could see any irony in the statement. Discuss the possible irony that Galileo worried about. What could one find that was ironic in the statement? Why could this be considered ironic? What trouble would it cause for Galileo if one did find irony in the statement?
Essay Topic 2
During the party at Cardinal Bellarmin's home, both of the attending Cardinals wore masks. Discuss the relevance of the masks for each Cardinal. What did the mask look like? What could the mask represent? What could be misconstrued by the mask?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the difference between the Ptolemaic model and the Copernican model. What did the Ptolemaic model represent? What did the Copernican model represent? Why was the Ptolemaic model accepted over the Copernican model? What did the acceptance of the Copernican model suggest?
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)