|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Virginia sewing at the opening of Scene VIII?
2. Where does Scene VII open?
3. While speaking with the "Little Monk" about his family's life, what animal does Galileo talk about ?
4. What does the Grand Duke want from Galileo when he and Virginia wait to be recognized?
5. Who did Galileo design a smelting-plant for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think was the main theme of the play? Discuss your answer using evidence gathered to support your claim. Why did you think that this was the theme of the play? What support did you find in the play? Why did this support your claim for this being the theme?
Essay Topic 2
Galileo, even against the majority of society, honestly believed in his teachings. Find three examples about why Galileo believed that his teachings were correct and should be accepted by the Church and discuss their importance.
Essay Topic 3
The truth of science and the truth of religion are conflicted throughout the play. Discuss the following: 1) Why was the truth of religion weighed heavier than the truth of science? 2) How did new thought challenge the church? 3) How did the Church have so much clout in determining its power over new thought related to science?
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)