Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims that Galileo would damn him if he (Galileo) would not see him?
2. While waiting to hear news of the inquisition, what are the "Little Monk" and Federzoni doing?
3. What is Virginia sewing at the opening of Scene VIII?
4. What does Federzoni think has begun, "the hour of its birth," when the bell does not ring at the time the inquisitors thought it would?
5. At the opening of Scene IX, who is Galileo and Virginia waiting to be admitted by?
Essay Topic 1
What do you think was the main theme of the play? Discuss your answer using evidence gathered to support your claim. Why did you think that this was the theme of the play? What support did you find in the play? Why did this support your claim for this being the theme?
Essay Topic 2
"He who does not know the truth is merely an idiot, but he who knows it and calls it a lie, is a criminal." Both Galileo and Andrea spoke these words during the action of the play. Find and discuss two references to being an "idiot" and a "criminal" in the play. Who was regarded as an "idiot"? Why? Who was regarded as a "criminal"? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Ludovico told Galileo about the telescope first being invented in Holland. Galileo then created a replica of his own, based off of Ludovico's description, and presented it to the University as his own. What did this do to the relationship between Galileo and Ludovico? What did this tell Ludovico about Galileo's character and scientific honesty? Why did Ludovico not turn Galileo in for misrepresentation?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)