|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stone at the center of the Ptolemaic system model represent?
2. What chess piece does Galileo say took to "moving all over the board"?
3. Who is Virginia speaking with at the end of Scene VI?
4. In what country does the Curator tell Galileo that telescopes were sold in markets?
5. What does Galileo tell the Curator would "save millions of scudi in navigation"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lie does Galileo tell the Senators about the telescope to secure his raise at the University?
2. What does Galileo do to explain the movement of the Earth around the sun to Andrea?
3. Why is Andrea's mother, Sarti, worried about Galileo teaching Andrea about the revolving of the Earth around the sun?
4. What does Galileo say fueled his desire to discover new philosophies?
5. What does the Clerk mean when he tells Galileo "We can only afford moves like this"?
6. Why does the Inquisitor find it funny that Virginia knew nothing of her father's studies?
7. Why does the Inquisitor tell Virginia that Galileo's new picture of the universe was harmful?
8. Why does Galileo believe that he and Virgina need to move to Florence?
9. Why does Galileo believe that naming the new stars by the name Medici would allow him some leeway on his studies?
10. What is happening at the opening of Scene I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Galileo, even against the majority of society, honestly believed in his teachings. Find three examples about why Galileo believed that his teachings were correct and should be accepted by the Church and discuss their importance.
Essay Topic 2
What do you think was the main theme of the play? Discuss your answer using evidence gathered to support your claim. Why did you think that this was the theme of the play? What support did you find in the play? Why did this support your claim for this being the theme?
Essay Topic 3
Galileo was surrounded by students throughout most of the play. Choose the student that you found to be the most loyal and least loyal to Galileo. Compare two characters. Use textual evidence to support your answer.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)