|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sarti hand to Galileo while he was telling her about the new discoveries in science?
2. At the ball, what mask does Barberini wear? (Scene VI)
3. How many years did Sarti work for Monsignor Filippo before working for Galileo?
4. What does Galileo say he bought instead of paying the milkman?
5. According to Bellarmin, whose responsibility is it to interpret the Bible?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Andrea questions Galileo about the Ptolemaic system model, what is Galileo's answer?
2. What does Galileo do to explain the movement of the Earth around the sun to Andrea?
3. What does Virginia find out about her father's fame on the day of the party at Cardinal Bellarmin's?
4. Why is the Curator angry with Galileo after Galileo received his raise from the University with the Curator's help?
5. What does the Clerk mean when he tells Galileo "We can only afford moves like this"?
6. Why does the Curator refuse to give Galileo the raise that he requests for his work as a mathematician at the University?
7. Cardinal Barberini quoted Ecclesiastes, the Preacher, when he first addressed Galileo at the party. What is Galileo's response to the Cardinal?
8. Why does Ludovico seem upset with Galileo at the end of Scene II?
9. What is the relevance of the song at Cardinal Bellarmin's party?
10. Describe why the Ptolemaic system model is accepted by the majority of society as the truth for how the solar system exists.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The truth of science and the truth of religion are conflicted throughout the play. Discuss the following: 1) Why was the truth of religion weighed heavier than the truth of science? 2) How did new thought challenge the church? 3) How did the Church have so much clout in determining its power over new thought related to science?
Essay Topic 2
Character Analysis: Discuss Galileo as a character. What kind of character was Galileo? Use textual evidence to support each of the three character traits that you align with Galileo.
Essay Topic 3
The invention of the telescope creates social unrest given the new discoveries that Galileo comes upon from peering through it. Therefore, based upon the discovery of the telescope, society experiences unrest because of the questions that the new discoveries create in regard to currently socially accepted beliefs, i.e. the Earth is the center of the universe. Based upon this fact, discuss two textually specific examples where scientific discoveries created social unrest. What was the discovery? Why did society react as it did? What was the reaction of Galileo to the unrest? What was the outcome of the unrest?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)