|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Chamberlain say is the name of the Astronomer-in-Chief at the Papal College in Rome?
2. What epicyclical orbit does Galileo draw on the blackboard when describing his discovery to the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
3. On what date did the inquisition put the Copernican teachings on the index?
4. Why does the Grand Duke of Tuscany come to Galileo's home?
5. When Sagredo asks Galileo about where God was, what is Galileo's answer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lie does Galileo tell the Senators about the telescope to secure his raise at the University?
2. What does Virginia find out about her father's fame on the day of the party at Cardinal Bellarmin's?
3. What does the Clerk mean when he tells Galileo "We can only afford moves like this"?
4. Why does the Inquisitor find it funny that Virginia knew nothing of her father's studies?
5. Why is the Curator angry with Galileo after Galileo received his raise from the University with the Curator's help?
6. What is happening at the opening of Scene I?
7. Describe the Ptolemaic system model that Galileo shows to Andrea.
8. Why did Galileo, as pointed out by Sagredo, teach the Ptolemaic model over the Copernican model given his belief in the Copernican model of the universe?
9. Why is Andrea's mother, Sarti, worried about Galileo teaching Andrea about the revolving of the Earth around the sun?
10. What does Galileo do to explain the movement of the Earth around the sun to Andrea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The invention of the telescope creates social unrest given the new discoveries that Galileo comes upon from peering through it. Therefore, based upon the discovery of the telescope, society experiences unrest because of the questions that the new discoveries create in regard to currently socially accepted beliefs, i.e. the Earth is the center of the universe. Based upon this fact, discuss two textually specific examples where scientific discoveries created social unrest. What was the discovery? Why did society react as it did? What was the reaction of Galileo to the unrest? What was the outcome of the unrest?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think was the main theme of the play? Discuss your answer using evidence gathered to support your claim. Why did you think that this was the theme of the play? What support did you find in the play? Why did this support your claim for this being the theme?
Essay Topic 3
During the party at Cardinal Bellarmin's home, both of the attending Cardinals wore masks. Discuss the relevance of the masks for each Cardinal. What did the mask look like? What could the mask represent? What could be misconstrued by the mask?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)