|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Duke and his Court attend after leaving Galileo's home?
2. What sickness was the "Old Gentlemen" discussing as they climbed the stairs to see the telescope?
3. Which Dane determines the track of a comet?
4. What does Galileo tell Sagredo the spots on stars were?
5. What name does Galileo want to bestow on the new stars he found?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sagredo afraid for Galileo concerning Galileo's move to Florence?
2. Cardinal Barberini quoted Ecclesiastes, the Preacher, when he first addressed Galileo at the party. What is Galileo's response to the Cardinal?
3. Why does Galileo refuse to let Virginia look through the telescope?
4. Why does the Curator refuse to give Galileo the raise that he requests for his work as a mathematician at the University?
5. Why does the Inquisitor have the conversation between Galileo and Cardinal Bellarmin transcribed?
6. Why is Andrea's mother, Sarti, worried about Galileo teaching Andrea about the revolving of the Earth around the sun?
7. What does the Clerk mean when he tells Galileo "We can only afford moves like this"?
8. Describe the Ptolemaic system model that Galileo shows to Andrea.
9. Why does Galileo believe that naming the new stars by the name Medici would allow him some leeway on his studies?
10. Why does the Inquisitor tell Virginia that Galileo's new picture of the universe was harmful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Galileo brings up the concept of price verses value. Discuss Galileo's thoughts on this belief. What is the difference between price and value according to Galileo and the text? Use textual evidence to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
"He who does not know the truth is merely an idiot, but he who knows it and calls it a lie, is a criminal." Both Galileo and Andrea spoke these words during the action of the play. Find and discuss two references to being an "idiot" and a "criminal" in the play. Who was regarded as an "idiot"? Why? Who was regarded as a "criminal"? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think was the main theme of the play? Discuss your answer using evidence gathered to support your claim. Why did you think that this was the theme of the play? What support did you find in the play? Why did this support your claim for this being the theme?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)