|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Andrea leave the room when Galileo was asking the men from the courts to look through the telescope?
2. How many stars does Galileo find revolved around Jupiter?
3. How much is the private tuition that Galileo initially was going to charge Ludovico?
4. According to Galileo, who were the ones that were "no longer moved by reason"?
5. What does Sarti hand to Galileo while he was telling her about the new discoveries in science?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe why the Ptolemaic system model is accepted by the majority of society as the truth for how the solar system exists.
2. Why does Galileo say the sailing of ships across the sea creates "a great desire has arisen to fathom the causes of all thing[s]"?
3. Describe the Ptolemaic system model that Galileo shows to Andrea.
4. What is the relevance of the song at Cardinal Bellarmin's party?
5. Why does Galileo refuse to let Virginia look through the telescope?
6. How does Galileo explain the illumination of the moon and earth to Sagredo?
7. Cardinal Barberini quoted Ecclesiastes, the Preacher, when he first addressed Galileo at the party. What is Galileo's response to the Cardinal?
8. Why does the Inquisitor have the conversation between Galileo and Cardinal Bellarmin transcribed?
9. What lie does Galileo tell the Senators about the telescope to secure his raise at the University?
10. Why did Galileo, as pointed out by Sagredo, teach the Ptolemaic model over the Copernican model given his belief in the Copernican model of the universe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the difference between the Ptolemaic model and the Copernican model. What did the Ptolemaic model represent? What did the Copernican model represent? Why was the Ptolemaic model accepted over the Copernican model? What did the acceptance of the Copernican model suggest?
Essay Topic 2
In Scene Thirteen, Galileo received a gift of two plucked geese. The peasant who delivered the geese was told to tell Galileo that "They are from someone passing through." Who do you believe sent the geese to Galileo? Why do you believe this? Use textual evidence to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think was the main theme of the play? Discuss your answer using evidence gathered to support your claim. Why did you think that this was the theme of the play? What support did you find in the play? Why did this support your claim for this being the theme?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)