|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Philosopher say is "Italy's and the Church's greatest astronomer"?
2. What does Galileo tell Sagredo the spots on stars were?
3. Who enters the room after the "Very Old Cardinal" collapses?
4. Why does Andrea leave the room when Galileo was asking the men from the courts to look through the telescope?
5. What bell rings as Virginia entered her father's room? (Scene III)
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Curator angry with Galileo after Galileo received his raise from the University with the Curator's help?
2. Why did Galileo, as pointed out by Sagredo, teach the Ptolemaic model over the Copernican model given his belief in the Copernican model of the universe?
3. What is the relevance of the song at Cardinal Bellarmin's party?
4. Describe the Ptolemaic system model that Galileo shows to Andrea.
5. Why does the Inquisitor find it funny that Virginia knew nothing of her father's studies?
6. Why is Sagredo afraid for Galileo concerning Galileo's move to Florence?
7. Why is Andrea's mother, Sarti, worried about Galileo teaching Andrea about the revolving of the Earth around the sun?
8. Why does Galileo refuse to let Virginia look through the telescope?
9. How does Galileo explain the illumination of the moon and earth to Sagredo?
10. Cardinal Barberini quoted Ecclesiastes, the Preacher, when he first addressed Galileo at the party. What is Galileo's response to the Cardinal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the difference between the Ptolemaic model and the Copernican model. What did the Ptolemaic model represent? What did the Copernican model represent? Why was the Ptolemaic model accepted over the Copernican model? What did the acceptance of the Copernican model suggest?
Essay Topic 2
Two of the scientific instruments/discoveries that Galileo made were concepts derived by other people. Discuss what kind of person/scientist that made Galileo. Do you think that science is a constantly evolving theory? Can discoveries be made by one person alone? Or did Galileo have the right, as a scientist, to "better" what had been made/speculated on to that point?
Essay Topic 3
Galileo, even against the majority of society, honestly believed in his teachings. Find three examples about why Galileo believed that his teachings were correct and should be accepted by the Church and discuss their importance.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)