Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Galileo use to represent the sun when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
2. Who does the Chamberlain say is the name of the Astronomer-in-Chief at the Papal College in Rome?
3. What does Galileo say he bought instead of paying the milkman?
4. Who enters the room after the "Very Old Cardinal" collapses?
5. What is the date of the opening of Scene III?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Curator angry with Galileo after Galileo received his raise from the University with the Curator's help?
2. Why does Ludovico call off the wedding to Virginia?
3. What does Andrea tell Galileo is one of the results of Galileo's recanting among the scientific community?
4. What is the significance of Galileo telling the Court Clerks of the "new way" to play chess?
5. Why does the Inquisitor find it funny that Virginia knew nothing of her father's studies?
6. Why does the Inquisitor tell Virginia that Galileo's new picture of the universe was harmful?
7. What does the Clerk mean when he tells Galileo "We can only afford moves like this"?
8. Why does the Curator refuse to give Galileo the raise that he requests for his work as a mathematician at the University?
9. Why does Galileo think that Cardinal Bellarmin gifted him a Cellini clock?
10. Cardinal Barberini quoted Ecclesiastes, the Preacher, when he first addressed Galileo at the party. What is Galileo's response to the Cardinal?
Essay Topic 1
Galileo's students were sure that he would not recant his thoughts on the model of the universe that Galileo had brought forth. Discuss how and why two of the characters reacted to his recanting as they did. What did they say? How did they treat Galileo? Why did they react as they did? Who was the most disappointed in Galileo and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Galileo's attempt to explain that the Earth was not the center of the universe to Andrea. What did he say to Andrea? How did Galileo illustrate the fact? What was Andrea's response?
Essay Topic 3
Character Analysis: Discuss Galileo as a character. What kind of character was Galileo? Use textual evidence to support each of the three character traits that you align with Galileo.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)