|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cosimo call Andrea as they fight over the models?
2. How old is Galileo when he was arguing with the Curator about salary?
3. How many globes surround the center stone?
4. Who does the Scholar claim is drunk again-while play-acting with the Monk?
5. According to Galileo, if one believes in humanity, they believe in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Galileo telling the Court Clerks of the "new way" to play chess?
2. When Andrea questions Galileo about the Ptolemaic system model, what is Galileo's answer?
3. Why is the Curator angry with Galileo after Galileo received his raise from the University with the Curator's help?
4. Why did Galileo, as pointed out by Sagredo, teach the Ptolemaic model over the Copernican model given his belief in the Copernican model of the universe?
5. Why does Ludovico seem upset with Galileo at the end of Scene II?
6. What does the Clerk mean when he tells Galileo "We can only afford moves like this"?
7. What is happening at the opening of Scene I?
8. What does Virginia find out about her father's fame on the day of the party at Cardinal Bellarmin's?
9. Why is Sagredo afraid for Galileo concerning Galileo's move to Florence?
10. How does Galileo explain the illumination of the moon and earth to Sagredo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"He who does not know the truth is merely an idiot, but he who knows it and calls it a lie, is a criminal." Both Galileo and Andrea spoke these words during the action of the play. Find and discuss two references to being an "idiot" and a "criminal" in the play. Who was regarded as an "idiot"? Why? Who was regarded as a "criminal"? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Courage is a theme masked by the scientific overtone of the play, but courage is relevant. Find three courageous moments during the play. Discuss the person who was courageous, why they were courageous, and what happened to them because of their courage. Cite examples from the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Ludovico told Galileo about the telescope first being invented in Holland. Galileo then created a replica of his own, based off of Ludovico's description, and presented it to the University as his own. What did this do to the relationship between Galileo and Ludovico? What did this tell Ludovico about Galileo's character and scientific honesty? Why did Ludovico not turn Galileo in for misrepresentation?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)