|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country does the Curator tell Galileo that telescopes were sold in markets?
2. What name does Galileo want to bestow on the new stars he found?
3. What does Galileo tell Andrea to put on the table? (Scene I)
4. While at the ball, what chapter of the Bible do both Cardinal Bellarmin and Cardinal Barberini quote?
5. What do Cosimo and Andrea break during their fighting on the floor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the telescope do for Galileo by January of 1610?
2. Why is the Curator angry with Galileo after Galileo received his raise from the University with the Curator's help?
3. Why does the Curator refuse to give Galileo the raise that he requests for his work as a mathematician at the University?
4. Why did Galileo, as pointed out by Sagredo, teach the Ptolemaic model over the Copernican model given his belief in the Copernican model of the universe?
5. What is the significance of Galileo telling the Court Clerks of the "new way" to play chess?
6. Why does Galileo say the sailing of ships across the sea creates "a great desire has arisen to fathom the causes of all thing[s]"?
7. What does Virginia find out about her father's fame on the day of the party at Cardinal Bellarmin's?
8. Why does the Inquisitor have the conversation between Galileo and Cardinal Bellarmin transcribed?
9. What does the Clerk mean when he tells Galileo "We can only afford moves like this"?
10. Why does Galileo refuse to let Virginia look through the telescope?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"I am entirely in agreement with the position taken up by Cardinal Spoletti towards the mutinous rope-makers, namely, that it is better to dole out soup in the name of Christian brotherly love than to pay them more for their" hawsers and bell-ropes. For surely it must be wiser to fortify their faith rather than their greed. The Apostle Paul said: Charity aboundeth." Galileo made the following statement in response to a question posed by Monsignor Carpula for the archbishop. After making the statement, Galileo worried if one could see any irony in the statement. Discuss the possible irony that Galileo worried about. What could one find that was ironic in the statement? Why could this be considered ironic? What trouble would it cause for Galileo if one did find irony in the statement?
Essay Topic 2
Ludovico told Galileo about the telescope first being invented in Holland. Galileo then created a replica of his own, based off of Ludovico's description, and presented it to the University as his own. What did this do to the relationship between Galileo and Ludovico? What did this tell Ludovico about Galileo's character and scientific honesty? Why did Ludovico not turn Galileo in for misrepresentation?
Essay Topic 3
Galileo brings up the concept of price verses value. Discuss Galileo's thoughts on this belief. What is the difference between price and value according to Galileo and the text? Use textual evidence to support your answer.
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)