|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much is the private tuition that Galileo initially was going to charge Ludovico?
2. What do the Duke and his Court attend after leaving Galileo's home?
3. How old is Galileo when he was arguing with the Curator about salary?
4. When discussing Galileo's findings regarding the movement of stars, who did the Philosopher think Signer Federzoni was?
5. Which Dane determines the track of a comet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sagredo tell Galileo that he (Galileo) is contradicting all astronomical science from the last two thousand years?
2. Why does the Inquisitor have the conversation between Galileo and Cardinal Bellarmin transcribed?
3. What is the relevance of the song at Cardinal Bellarmin's party?
4. Why did Galileo, as pointed out by Sagredo, teach the Ptolemaic model over the Copernican model given his belief in the Copernican model of the universe?
5. Why does Ludovico seem upset with Galileo at the end of Scene II?
6. Describe the Ptolemaic system model that Galileo shows to Andrea.
7. Why is Andrea's mother, Sarti, worried about Galileo teaching Andrea about the revolving of the Earth around the sun?
8. Why is Sagredo afraid for Galileo concerning Galileo's move to Florence?
9. What does Galileo do to explain the movement of the Earth around the sun to Andrea?
10. Why is the Curator angry with Galileo after Galileo received his raise from the University with the Curator's help?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the difference between the Ptolemaic model and the Copernican model. What did the Ptolemaic model represent? What did the Copernican model represent? Why was the Ptolemaic model accepted over the Copernican model? What did the acceptance of the Copernican model suggest?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think was the main theme of the play? Discuss your answer using evidence gathered to support your claim. Why did you think that this was the theme of the play? What support did you find in the play? Why did this support your claim for this being the theme?
Essay Topic 3
Character Analysis: Discuss Galileo as a character. What kind of character was Galileo? Use textual evidence to support each of the three character traits that you align with Galileo.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)