|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Galileo ask the men to trust when looking through the telescope at the stars?
2. Who is Virginia speaking with at the end of Scene VI?
3. How old is Galileo's daughter, Virginia, in Scene II?
4. Where does Virginia say she will be married?
5. What is the date of the opening of Scene III?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Galileo refuse to let Virginia look through the telescope?
2. Why does the Curator refuse to give Galileo the raise that he requests for his work as a mathematician at the University?
3. What does Galileo say fueled his desire to discover new philosophies?
4. Why does Ludovico seem upset with Galileo at the end of Scene II?
5. What lie does Galileo tell the Senators about the telescope to secure his raise at the University?
6. What is the significance of Galileo telling the Court Clerks of the "new way" to play chess?
7. What does Virginia find out about her father's fame on the day of the party at Cardinal Bellarmin's?
8. Why does the Inquisitor have the conversation between Galileo and Cardinal Bellarmin transcribed?
9. What does Galileo do to explain the movement of the Earth around the sun to Andrea?
10. When Andrea questions Galileo about the Ptolemaic system model, what is Galileo's answer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The invention of the telescope creates social unrest given the new discoveries that Galileo comes upon from peering through it. Therefore, based upon the discovery of the telescope, society experiences unrest because of the questions that the new discoveries create in regard to currently socially accepted beliefs, i.e. the Earth is the center of the universe. Based upon this fact, discuss two textually specific examples where scientific discoveries created social unrest. What was the discovery? Why did society react as it did? What was the reaction of Galileo to the unrest? What was the outcome of the unrest?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Galileo's attempt to explain that the Earth was not the center of the universe to Andrea. What did he say to Andrea? How did Galileo illustrate the fact? What was Andrea's response?
Essay Topic 3
Galileo was surrounded by students throughout most of the play. Choose the student that you found to be the most loyal and least loyal to Galileo. Compare two characters. Use textual evidence to support your answer.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)