|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the ball, what mask does Barberini wear? (Scene VI)
2. Why does Andrea leave the room when Galileo was asking the men from the courts to look through the telescope?
3. What is the name of the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
4. What does Sarti offer to the Grand Duke as his Court is leaving at the end of Scene IV?
5. How old does Ludovico say the invention he saw in Holland was?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Curator angry with Galileo after Galileo received his raise from the University with the Curator's help?
2. Why does Ludovico seem upset with Galileo at the end of Scene II?
3. Why is Sagredo afraid for Galileo concerning Galileo's move to Florence?
4. Cardinal Barberini quoted Ecclesiastes, the Preacher, when he first addressed Galileo at the party. What is Galileo's response to the Cardinal?
5. Why does the Inquisitor find it funny that Virginia knew nothing of her father's studies?
6. Why does the Curator refuse to give Galileo the raise that he requests for his work as a mathematician at the University?
7. Why did Galileo, as pointed out by Sagredo, teach the Ptolemaic model over the Copernican model given his belief in the Copernican model of the universe?
8. Why does the Inquisitor have the conversation between Galileo and Cardinal Bellarmin transcribed?
9. How does Galileo explain the illumination of the moon and earth to Sagredo?
10. Describe why the Ptolemaic system model is accepted by the majority of society as the truth for how the solar system exists.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"I am entirely in agreement with the position taken up by Cardinal Spoletti towards the mutinous rope-makers, namely, that it is better to dole out soup in the name of Christian brotherly love than to pay them more for their" hawsers and bell-ropes. For surely it must be wiser to fortify their faith rather than their greed. The Apostle Paul said: Charity aboundeth." Galileo made the following statement in response to a question posed by Monsignor Carpula for the archbishop. After making the statement, Galileo worried if one could see any irony in the statement. Discuss the possible irony that Galileo worried about. What could one find that was ironic in the statement? Why could this be considered ironic? What trouble would it cause for Galileo if one did find irony in the statement?
Essay Topic 2
During the party at Cardinal Bellarmin's home, both of the attending Cardinals wore masks. Discuss the relevance of the masks for each Cardinal. What did the mask look like? What could the mask represent? What could be misconstrued by the mask?
Essay Topic 3
Courage is a theme masked by the scientific overtone of the play, but courage is relevant. Find three courageous moments during the play. Discuss the person who was courageous, why they were courageous, and what happened to them because of their courage. Cite examples from the text to support your statements.
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)