|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bellarmin, whose responsibility is it to interpret the Bible?
2. According to the "Very Thin Monk," what is equated with the home of the human race?
3. On what date did the inquisition put the Copernican teachings on the index?
4. Who does the Chamberlain say is the name of the Astronomer-in-Chief at the Papal College in Rome?
5. What does Galileo ask the men to trust when looking through the telescope at the stars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Galileo speaking about to the "Little Monk" when he spoke of his feelings for beauty and truth?
2. What do Andrea and the "Little Monk" compare the possibility of Galileo recanting to?
3. Why is Galileo not worried about the Cardinal Inquisitor being in Florence?
4. What does Andrea say the inquisition was doing to the "truth"?
5. What is the relevance of the song at Cardinal Bellarmin's party?
6. Describe the Ptolemaic system model that Galileo shows to Andrea.
7. Why is Andrea's mother, Sarti, worried about Galileo teaching Andrea about the revolving of the Earth around the sun?
8. Cardinal Barberini quoted Ecclesiastes, the Preacher, when he first addressed Galileo at the party. What is Galileo's response to the Cardinal?
9. What problems does Virginia find with Galileo traveling to Padua and taking time off?
10. Why does the Inquisitor tell Virginia that Galileo's new picture of the universe was harmful?
Essay Topic 1
In Scene Thirteen, Galileo received a gift of two plucked geese. The peasant who delivered the geese was told to tell Galileo that "They are from someone passing through." Who do you believe sent the geese to Galileo? Why do you believe this? Use textual evidence to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Ludovico told Galileo about the telescope first being invented in Holland. Galileo then created a replica of his own, based off of Ludovico's description, and presented it to the University as his own. What did this do to the relationship between Galileo and Ludovico? What did this tell Ludovico about Galileo's character and scientific honesty? Why did Ludovico not turn Galileo in for misrepresentation?
Essay Topic 3
Galileo was surrounded by students throughout most of the play. Choose the student that you found to be the most loyal and least loyal to Galileo. Compare two characters. Use textual evidence to support your answer.
This section contains 1,902 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)