|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Scene VI open?
2. What chess piece does Galileo say took to "moving all over the board"?
3. Who is Virginia speaking with at the end of Scene VI?
4. Why does Andrea leave the room when Galileo was asking the men from the courts to look through the telescope?
5. Why does the Grand Duke of Tuscany come to Galileo's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Galileo do to explain the movement of the Earth around the sun to Andrea?
2. Describe the Ptolemaic system model that Galileo shows to Andrea.
3. Why is Andrea's mother, Sarti, worried about Galileo teaching Andrea about the revolving of the Earth around the sun?
4. Why does Galileo refuse to let Virginia look through the telescope?
5. Why does the Inquisitor find it funny that Virginia knew nothing of her father's studies?
6. When Andrea questions Galileo about the Ptolemaic system model, what is Galileo's answer?
7. Why is the Curator angry with Galileo after Galileo received his raise from the University with the Curator's help?
8. What does Virginia find out about her father's fame on the day of the party at Cardinal Bellarmin's?
9. What does Galileo say fueled his desire to discover new philosophies?
10. What is the significance of Galileo telling the Court Clerks of the "new way" to play chess?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the party at Cardinal Bellarmin's home, both of the attending Cardinals wore masks. Discuss the relevance of the masks for each Cardinal. What did the mask look like? What could the mask represent? What could be misconstrued by the mask?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the scenarios that Galileo used to describe a statement or argument. Describe why the argument/statement worked to explain what Galileo was trying to say. What point was he trying to make? What was the example that he used to illustrate his meaning? How effective was the illustration?
Essay Topic 3
Galileo was surrounded by students throughout most of the play. Choose the student that you found to be the most loyal and least loyal to Galileo. Compare two characters. Use textual evidence to support your answer.
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)