|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sarti hand to Galileo while he was telling her about the new discoveries in science?
2. What is the monk play-acting? (in the opening of Scene V.)
3. According to Galileo, what "grows feeble from being abused"?
4. Why does Galileo tell Virginia that they move to Florence?
5. What does the Curator say that Galileo had invented for the city, calling the invention "excellent"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Galileo do to explain the movement of the Earth around the sun to Andrea?
2. Why is the Curator angry with Galileo after Galileo received his raise from the University with the Curator's help?
3. Why is Andrea's mother, Sarti, worried about Galileo teaching Andrea about the revolving of the Earth around the sun?
4. Describe the Ptolemaic system model that Galileo shows to Andrea.
5. Why does the Curator refuse to give Galileo the raise that he requests for his work as a mathematician at the University?
6. Why does Galileo believe that he and Virgina need to move to Florence?
7. What does the telescope do for Galileo by January of 1610?
8. When Andrea questions Galileo about the Ptolemaic system model, what is Galileo's answer?
9. Why is Sagredo afraid for Galileo concerning Galileo's move to Florence?
10. How does Galileo explain the illumination of the moon and earth to Sagredo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Galileo was surrounded by students throughout most of the play. Choose the student that you found to be the most loyal and least loyal to Galileo. Compare two characters. Use textual evidence to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
"I am entirely in agreement with the position taken up by Cardinal Spoletti towards the mutinous rope-makers, namely, that it is better to dole out soup in the name of Christian brotherly love than to pay them more for their" hawsers and bell-ropes. For surely it must be wiser to fortify their faith rather than their greed. The Apostle Paul said: Charity aboundeth." Galileo made the following statement in response to a question posed by Monsignor Carpula for the archbishop. After making the statement, Galileo worried if one could see any irony in the statement. Discuss the possible irony that Galileo worried about. What could one find that was ironic in the statement? Why could this be considered ironic? What trouble would it cause for Galileo if one did find irony in the statement?
Essay Topic 3
Ludovico told Galileo about the telescope first being invented in Holland. Galileo then created a replica of his own, based off of Ludovico's description, and presented it to the University as his own. What did this do to the relationship between Galileo and Ludovico? What did this tell Ludovico about Galileo's character and scientific honesty? Why did Ludovico not turn Galileo in for misrepresentation?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)