|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stone at the center of the Ptolemaic system model represent?
2. What object does Andrea tell Galileo not to use because "You can prove anything with them"?
3. When, according to Galileo, does he "get most inspiration"?
4. How much is the private tuition that Galileo initially was going to charge Ludovico?
5. How many years did Sarti work for Monsignor Filippo before working for Galileo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Galileo refuse to let Virginia look through the telescope?
2. Why does Galileo believe that naming the new stars by the name Medici would allow him some leeway on his studies?
3. What does Virginia find out about her father's fame on the day of the party at Cardinal Bellarmin's?
4. Cardinal Barberini quoted Ecclesiastes, the Preacher, when he first addressed Galileo at the party. What is Galileo's response to the Cardinal?
5. What is happening at the opening of Scene I?
6. Describe the Ptolemaic system model that Galileo shows to Andrea.
7. When Andrea questions Galileo about the Ptolemaic system model, what is Galileo's answer?
8. How does Galileo explain the illumination of the moon and earth to Sagredo?
9. What does the telescope do for Galileo by January of 1610?
10. Describe why the Ptolemaic system model is accepted by the majority of society as the truth for how the solar system exists.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two of the scientific instruments/discoveries that Galileo made were concepts derived by other people. Discuss what kind of person/scientist that made Galileo. Do you think that science is a constantly evolving theory? Can discoveries be made by one person alone? Or did Galileo have the right, as a scientist, to "better" what had been made/speculated on to that point?
Essay Topic 2
Galileo, even against the majority of society, honestly believed in his teachings. Find three examples about why Galileo believed that his teachings were correct and should be accepted by the Church and discuss their importance.
Essay Topic 3
Galileo brings up the concept of price verses value. Discuss Galileo's thoughts on this belief. What is the difference between price and value according to Galileo and the text? Use textual evidence to support your answer.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)