|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What epicyclical orbit does Galileo draw on the blackboard when describing his discovery to the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
2. What does the Curator say that Galileo had invented for the city, calling the invention "excellent"?
3. What does Galileo ask the men to trust when looking through the telescope at the stars?
4. What do Cosimo and Andrea break during their fighting on the floor?
5. At the ball, what mask does Barberini wear? (Scene VI)
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Inquisitor have the conversation between Galileo and Cardinal Bellarmin transcribed?
2. Cardinal Barberini quoted Ecclesiastes, the Preacher, when he first addressed Galileo at the party. What is Galileo's response to the Cardinal?
3. What is the significance of Galileo telling the Court Clerks of the "new way" to play chess?
4. Why does Galileo believe that he and Virgina need to move to Florence?
5. What does Virginia find out about her father's fame on the day of the party at Cardinal Bellarmin's?
6. Why did Galileo, as pointed out by Sagredo, teach the Ptolemaic model over the Copernican model given his belief in the Copernican model of the universe?
7. Why does Galileo say the sailing of ships across the sea creates "a great desire has arisen to fathom the causes of all thing[s]"?
8. When Andrea questions Galileo about the Ptolemaic system model, what is Galileo's answer?
9. Why does Galileo refuse to let Virginia look through the telescope?
10. How does Galileo explain the illumination of the moon and earth to Sagredo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many times, Galileo implied that a woman's place was not in the scientific world. Find at least two examples and discuss how these thoughts contradicted Galileo's teachings using textual evidence from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Character Analysis: Discuss Galileo as a character. What kind of character was Galileo? Use textual evidence to support each of the three character traits that you align with Galileo.
Essay Topic 3
The invention of the telescope creates social unrest given the new discoveries that Galileo comes upon from peering through it. Therefore, based upon the discovery of the telescope, society experiences unrest because of the questions that the new discoveries create in regard to currently socially accepted beliefs, i.e. the Earth is the center of the universe. Based upon this fact, discuss two textually specific examples where scientific discoveries created social unrest. What was the discovery? Why did society react as it did? What was the reaction of Galileo to the unrest? What was the outcome of the unrest?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)