|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of clock is Galileo presented with as a gift from Cardinal Bellarmin?
(a) Cellini clock.
(b) Lantern clock.
(c) Atmos clock.
(d) Parliament clock.
2. What philosopher does Galileo and Andrea study in regard to objects floating?
3. What does the "Little Monk" tell Andrea about that Galileo always carries in his pocket?
(a) A picture of Virginia.
(b) A drawing of his telescope.
(c) His touchstone.
(d) A lock of Virginia's hair.
4. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that he will not have destroyed?
(a) Galileo's writings.
(b) Copernicus' writings.
(c) Mathematical cables.
(d) Aristotle's writings.
5. What year is it at the opening of Scene IX?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Galileo claim is ruining Virginia's complexion?
2. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that Galileo could not say "no" to?
3. Who does Galileo say are his "favorite readings"?
4. What gift is sent to Galileo by "someone passing through"? (Scene XII)
5. What does Galileo call a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does Virginia find with Galileo traveling to Padua and taking time off?
2. What lie does Galileo tell Virginia about being summoned by The Duke?
3. Why does Galileo state that he prefers healthy oysters?
4. What were Federzoni and Andrea's worries concerning Galileo's Inquisition?
5. Why does Galileo use the satire of Horace to explain the necessity of all parts of his study being present in his observations?
6. What does Galileo say regarding his public recanting of his teachings?
7. What did the astronomer at the University tell Virginia about her horoscope?
8. Why does the "Little Monk" use the story of his family and town's history to show Galileo his fears about the mixing of science and religion?
9. What were the problems that Galileo faced with living in both Florence and the Republic regarding the Discorsi?
10. In the opening of Scene VII, why does the "Little Monk" admit to Galileo that he has not been able to sleep?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)