|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift is sent to Galileo by "someone passing through"? (Scene XII)
(a) Two geese.
(b) Two rabbits.
(c) Two ducks.
(d) Two turkeys.
2. What does Signor Gaffone give to Virginia, "in mint condition," to give to her father?
(a) A manuscript.
(b) A book.
(c) A letter of intent.
(d) A copyright for the telescope.
3. What does Galileo call a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie?
(a) A criminal.
(b) A prophet.
(c) A liar.
(d) A fraud.
4. Where did Scene X open?
(a) The court of the Holy Inquisition.
(b) The Florentine Court.
(c) Andrea's home.
(d) An apartment in the Vatican.
5. Who does the monk say that he has to have permission from before Galileo can see an eye doctor?
(a) The Pope.
(b) Monsignor Carpula.
(c) The Rector.
(d) Cardinal Bellarmin.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Scene Seven, the "Little Monk" told Galileo that he cannot understand what?
2. Why does Galileo tell Andrea that they could not investigate sunspots?
3. Who, from Amsterdam, wanted Andrea to ask about Galileo's health?
4. What author has Galileo begun to read again? (Revealed by Galileo to the "Little Monk" during their conversation in Scene VII.)
5. In Scene XI, how many days does the "Little Monk" say that Galileo had been sitting in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Federzoni and Andrea's worries concerning Galileo's Inquisition?
2. Why does Vanni want Galileo to leave Florence?
3. Why does The Grand Duke ask Galileo about his eyesight?
4. What do Andrea and the "Little Monk" compare the possibility of Galileo recanting to?
5. Why is Galileo not worried about the Cardinal Inquisitor being in Florence?
6. What were the problems that Galileo faced with living in both Florence and the Republic regarding the Discorsi?
7. What does Galileo say regarding his public recanting of his teachings?
8. Why does Vanni tell Galileo that he is on his side regarding Galileo's teachings?
9. Why does Galileo state that he prefers healthy oysters?
10. What does Andrea say the inquisition was doing to the "truth"?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)