|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Virginia in Scene XII?
(a) About 75.
(b) About 40.
(c) About 55.
(d) About 60.
2. Where had the "Little Monk" grown up?
3. According to Galileo, what gives the "Little Monk" the right to say whatever he wishes?
(a) The Pope.
(b) Hie rank.
(c) His habit.
(d) The church.
4. According to the "Little Monk," how many nights passed since he had been able to sleep?
(a) 3 nights.
(b) 5 nights.
(c) 6 n ights.
(d) 7 nights.
5. Who does the Inquisitor say is an expert on instruments?
(a) Cardinal Barberini.
(b) Rector Gaffone.
(c) Signor Vanni.
(d) Signor Galilei.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Vanni, how many books on agriculture were published, within the last year, in London?
2. How many months of pay does the Court owe Galileo? (in Scene Nine)
3. After the bell rang, who reads Galileo's recant on the street?
4. Why does Vanni say Galileo would be better off in Venice?
5. What kind of clock is Galileo presented with as a gift from Cardinal Bellarmin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Galileo use the satire of Horace to explain the necessity of all parts of his study being present in his observations?
2. Why does Vanni want Galileo to leave Florence?
3. What lie does Galileo tell Virginia about being summoned by The Duke?
4. Why does Ludovico call off the wedding to Virginia?
5. Why does Galileo think that Cardinal Bellarmin gifted him a Cellini clock?
6. What does Andrea say the inquisition was doing to the "truth"?
7. Why does Galileo state that he prefers healthy oysters?
8. Why does the "Little Monk" use the story of his family and town's history to show Galileo his fears about the mixing of science and religion?
9. What were the problems that Galileo faced with living in both Florence and the Republic regarding the Discorsi?
10. When at the summoning Galileo, Galileo tells Virginia that he is afraid of Rector Gaffone. Why is Galileo afraid of the Rector?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)