|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What astrological sign does Virgina align with?
(a) The Twins.
2. Where had the "Little Monk" grown up?
3. While waiting for Galileo's inquisition to finish, what does Andrea say he fears would never be completed?
(a) The Star Charts.
(b) The Discorsi.
(c) The Oceanic Maps.
(d) The Galileo Model.
4. What is the date at the opening of Scene XI?
(a) January 11, 1622.
(b) December 14, 1638.
(c) March 17, 1644.
(d) June 22, 1633.
5. Why does Vanni say Galileo would be better off in Venice?
(a) "Fewer skeptics."
(b) "More scientists with open minds."
(c) "Fewer black coats."
(d) "More people to support him."
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of language does the Inquisitor say that Galileo writes in?
2. Where does Scene VII open?
3. What does Galileo use to make the iron needle float on the surface of water without sinking?
4. Who was Pope Urban VII, prior to receiving his papal name?
5. What year is it at the opening of Scene IX?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Galileo state that he prefers healthy oysters?
2. In the opening of Scene VII, why does the "Little Monk" admit to Galileo that he has not been able to sleep?
3. What do Andrea and the "Little Monk" compare the possibility of Galileo recanting to?
4. Why does the "Little Monk" use the story of his family and town's history to show Galileo his fears about the mixing of science and religion?
5. What was Galileo speaking about to the "Little Monk" when he spoke of his feelings for beauty and truth?
6. Why does Vanni want Galileo to leave Florence?
7. What lie does Galileo tell Virginia about being summoned by The Duke?
8. What does the Court's expect to happen at 5:00 on the day of Galileo's inquisition?
9. What were the problems that Galileo faced with living in both Florence and the Republic regarding the Discorsi?
10. When at the summoning Galileo, Galileo tells Virginia that he is afraid of Rector Gaffone. Why is Galileo afraid of the Rector?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)