|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that Galileo could not say "no" to?
(a) "To an old friend and a new friend."
(b) "To an old idea and a new vision."
(c) "To an old wine or a new idea."
(d) "To an old friend or a new invention."
2. According to the person from the Grand Duke's Palace, what bell will ring when Galileo recants his teachings?
(a) The great bell of St. Mercy.
(b) The great bell of St. Mark's.
(c) The great bell of St. John.
(d) The great bell of St. Michael.
3. What does Galileo claim is ruining Virginia's complexion?
(a) Worrying about her father.
(b) Finding a new husband.
(c) Going to early Mass.
(d) Worrying about Ludovico.
4. When the "Little Monk" spent time with Galileo, while Galileo was in prison, to whom does Galileo compare his work?
(a) The Mayans.
5. What philosopher does Galileo and Andrea study in regard to objects floating?
Short Answer Questions
1. While speaking with the "Little Monk" about his family's life, what animal does Galileo talk about ?
2. Who does Galileo tell Virginia that he was afraid of?
3. What does the Inquisitor want to keep while "damning" Galileo's writings?
4. What, according to Andrea, do the people of Paris and Prague believe sunspots were?
5. To what day, did the opening of Scene XII, say that Galileo would be a prisoner of the Church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vanni tell Galileo that he is on his side regarding Galileo's teachings?
2. What does the Court's expect to happen at 5:00 on the day of Galileo's inquisition?
3. What were the problems that Galileo faced with living in both Florence and the Republic regarding the Discorsi?
4. What does Brecht mean when he wrote, "The depths are hot, the heights are chill. The streets are loud, the court is still" at the opening of Scene IX?
5. When at the summoning Galileo, Galileo tells Virginia that he is afraid of Rector Gaffone. Why is Galileo afraid of the Rector?
6. What does Andrea say the inquisition was doing to the "truth"?
7. Why does Galileo think that Cardinal Bellarmin gifted him a Cellini clock?
8. Why is Galileo not worried about the Cardinal Inquisitor being in Florence?
9. What lie does Galileo tell Virginia about being summoned by The Duke?
10. What were Federzoni and Andrea's worries concerning Galileo's Inquisition?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)