|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the bell rang, who reads Galileo's recant on the street?
(a) The Pope.
(c) The crier.
2. What does Galileo call a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie?
(a) A criminal.
(b) A liar.
(c) A fraud.
(d) A prophet.
3. What, according to Andrea, do the people of Paris and Prague believe sunspots were?
(a) Surface winds.
(b) Vapors from the sun.
(d) Swarms of stars.
4. At the end of Scene IX, what awaits Galileo?
(a) His Highness, the Grand Duke.
(b) The Florentine Court.
(d) The coach of the Holy Inquisition.
5. While waiting to hear news of the inquisition, what are the "Little Monk" and Federzoni doing?
(a) Sinking iron needles in water.
(b) Playing chess.
(c) Watching ice float.
(d) Making models of the solar system.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Grand Duke want from Galileo when he and Virginia wait to be recognized?
2. What year is it at the opening of Scene IX?
3. Why does Vanni say Galileo would be better off in Venice?
4. Who was Pope Urban VII, prior to receiving his papal name?
5. Where did Scene XI take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does Virginia find with Galileo traveling to Padua and taking time off?
2. What was Galileo speaking about to the "Little Monk" when he spoke of his feelings for beauty and truth?
3. In the opening of Scene VII, why does the "Little Monk" admit to Galileo that he has not been able to sleep?
4. What were the problems that Galileo faced with living in both Florence and the Republic regarding the Discorsi?
5. Why does Vanni want Galileo to leave Florence?
6. Why does Galileo state that he prefers healthy oysters?
7. What lie does Galileo tell Virginia about being summoned by The Duke?
8. Why is Galileo not worried about the Cardinal Inquisitor being in Florence?
9. What were Federzoni and Andrea's worries concerning Galileo's Inquisition?
10. Why does the "Little Monk" use the story of his family and town's history to show Galileo his fears about the mixing of science and religion?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)