|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that Galileo could not say "no" to?
(a) "To an old idea and a new vision."
(b) "To an old friend and a new friend."
(c) "To an old friend or a new invention."
(d) "To an old wine or a new idea."
2. To where does the "High Official" tell Galileo that he has to go to face the Holy Inquisition?
3. What time do the people of the inquisition believe that Galileo would recant?
4. Where did Scene XI take place?
(a) In the Palace of the Florentine Ambassador in Rome.
(b) In the Hall of Trials in Venice.
(c) An apartment in the Vatican.
(d) In the Court of Inquisition in Florence.
5. While waiting to hear news of the inquisition, what are the "Little Monk" and Federzoni doing?
(a) Watching ice float.
(b) Sinking iron needles in water.
(c) Playing chess.
(d) Making models of the solar system.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the "Little Monk," how many nights passed since he had been able to sleep?
2. Who does Galileo tell Virginia that he was afraid of?
3. What, according to Andrea, do the people of Paris and Prague believe sunspots were?
4. Who does the Inquisitor say is an expert on instruments?
5. What does Signor Gaffone give to Virginia, "in mint condition," to give to her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Galileo not worried about the Cardinal Inquisitor being in Florence?
2. What was Galileo speaking about to the "Little Monk" when he spoke of his feelings for beauty and truth?
3. Why does Vanni want Galileo to leave Florence?
4. What lie does Galileo tell Virginia about being summoned by The Duke?
5. During Galileo's students conversation, while waiting for Galileo's recanting, the students did find some humor in the situation. What humor did they find?
6. Why does Galileo use the satire of Horace to explain the necessity of all parts of his study being present in his observations?
7. What does the Court's expect to happen at 5:00 on the day of Galileo's inquisition?
8. What did the astronomer at the University tell Virginia about her horoscope?
9. Why does Vanni tell Galileo that he is on his side regarding Galileo's teachings?
10. In the opening of Scene VII, why does the "Little Monk" admit to Galileo that he has not been able to sleep?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)