|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that he will not have destroyed?
(a) Mathematical cables.
(b) Galileo's writings.
(c) Copernicus' writings.
(d) Aristotle's writings.
2. What is the only thing that the people from the "Little Monk's" village knew about?
3. Where had the "Little Monk" grown up?
4. What does Galileo use to make the iron needle float on the surface of water without sinking?
(a) A piece of wax.
(c) A string.
(d) A piece of paper.
5. When the "Little Monk" spent time with Galileo, while Galileo was in prison, to whom does Galileo compare his work?
(a) The Mayans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of clock is Galileo presented with as a gift from Cardinal Bellarmin?
2. Where did Scene X open?
3. What is the date at the opening of Scene XI?
4. How many months of pay does the Court owe Galileo? (in Scene Nine)
5. Who claims that Galileo would damn him if he (Galileo) would not see him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the astronomer at the University tell Virginia about her horoscope?
2. What problems does Virginia find with Galileo traveling to Padua and taking time off?
3. Why does Vanni want Galileo to leave Florence?
4. In the opening of Scene VII, why does the "Little Monk" admit to Galileo that he has not been able to sleep?
5. What does the Court's expect to happen at 5:00 on the day of Galileo's inquisition?
6. What does Brecht mean when he wrote, "The depths are hot, the heights are chill. The streets are loud, the court is still" at the opening of Scene IX?
7. What were the problems that Galileo faced with living in both Florence and the Republic regarding the Discorsi?
8. Why does Ludovico call off the wedding to Virginia?
9. Why does Vanni tell Galileo that he is on his side regarding Galileo's teachings?
10. During Galileo's students conversation, while waiting for Galileo's recanting, the students did find some humor in the situation. What humor did they find?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)