|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Vanni say Galileo would be better off in Venice?
(a) "More scientists with open minds."
(b) "More people to support him."
(c) "Fewer skeptics."
(d) "Fewer black coats."
2. Where does Scene VII open?
(a) In the Palace of the Florentine Ambassador in Rome.
(b) A monastery.
(c) Galileo's home.
(d) In the Hall of Inquisition.
3. What time do the people of the inquisition believe that Galileo would recant?
4. According to Galileo, what gives the "Little Monk" the right to say whatever he wishes?
(a) Hie rank.
(b) His habit.
(c) The Pope.
(d) The church.
5. Why does Sarti tell Virginia to go to the University to see an astronomer?
(a) To prove her father's teachings false.
(b) To seek a better husband.
(c) To cast her horoscope.
(d) To prove her father's teachings true.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of language does the Inquisitor say that Galileo writes in?
2. After the bell rang, who reads Galileo's recant on the street?
3. What manuscripts does Galileo give to the "Little Monk"?
4. What astrological sign does Virgina align with?
5. What does Galileo call a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Galileo think that Cardinal Bellarmin gifted him a Cellini clock?
2. When at the summoning Galileo, Galileo tells Virginia that he is afraid of Rector Gaffone. Why is Galileo afraid of the Rector?
3. Why does Ludovico call off the wedding to Virginia?
4. What does the Court's expect to happen at 5:00 on the day of Galileo's inquisition?
5. What was Galileo speaking about to the "Little Monk" when he spoke of his feelings for beauty and truth?
6. Why does the "Little Monk" use the story of his family and town's history to show Galileo his fears about the mixing of science and religion?
7. In the opening of Scene VII, why does the "Little Monk" admit to Galileo that he has not been able to sleep?
8. What were the problems that Galileo faced with living in both Florence and the Republic regarding the Discorsi?
9. During Galileo's students conversation, while waiting for Galileo's recanting, the students did find some humor in the situation. What humor did they find?
10. What problems does Virginia find with Galileo traveling to Padua and taking time off?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)