|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the "Little Monk," how many nights passed since he had been able to sleep?
(a) 7 nights.
(b) 3 nights.
(c) 5 nights.
(d) 6 n ights.
2. Who does the monk say that he has to have permission from before Galileo can see an eye doctor?
(a) Cardinal Bellarmin.
(b) The Pope.
(c) Monsignor Carpula.
(d) The Rector.
3. What does the "Little Monk" tell Andrea about that Galileo always carries in his pocket?
(a) A drawing of his telescope.
(b) A lock of Virginia's hair.
(c) His touchstone.
(d) A picture of Virginia.
4. Why does Vanni say Galileo would be better off in Venice?
(a) "More people to support him."
(b) "More scientists with open minds."
(c) "Fewer skeptics."
(d) "Fewer black coats."
5. What does the new Pope, at the opening of Scene VIII, want Galileo to study?
(a) The stars.
(b) The moon.
(d) The Earth's rotation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Scene VIII open?
2. Who was Pope Urban VII, prior to receiving his papal name?
3. What does the Inquisitor want to keep while "damning" Galileo's writings?
4. According to the person from the Grand Duke's Palace, what bell will ring when Galileo recants his teachings?
5. At the end of Scene X, what has the Pope finished doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Galileo not worried about the Cardinal Inquisitor being in Florence?
2. Why does Vanni want Galileo to leave Florence?
3. During Galileo's students conversation, while waiting for Galileo's recanting, the students did find some humor in the situation. What humor did they find?
4. What were Federzoni and Andrea's worries concerning Galileo's Inquisition?
5. Why does The Grand Duke ask Galileo about his eyesight?
6. What problems does Virginia find with Galileo traveling to Padua and taking time off?
7. Why does Galileo use the satire of Horace to explain the necessity of all parts of his study being present in his observations?
8. Why does Galileo think that Cardinal Bellarmin gifted him a Cellini clock?
9. What lie does Galileo tell Virginia about being summoned by The Duke?
10. What does the Court's expect to happen at 5:00 on the day of Galileo's inquisition?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)