|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the new Pope, at the opening of Scene VIII, want Galileo to study?
(a) The moon.
(b) The stars.
(c) The Earth's rotation.
2. What does Federzoni say he would rather do if Galileo recanted his teachings?
(a) Not live.
(b) Stay in Rome.
(c) Give up science.
(d) Recant his own beliefs.
3. Where does Galileo hide a copy of his Discorsi?
(a) A false bottom in his desk.
(b) Behind his star charts.
(c) The globe.
(d) In his bed.
4. What are the dates that Scene XII took place?
5. What does Galileo claim the he knows the difference between when Vanni tells him he is "unable to distinguish your friends from your enemies"?
(a) Science and religion.
(b) Wealth and poverty.
(c) Power and impotence.
(d) Imagination and reality.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Galileo claim is ruining Virginia's complexion?
2. Where does Scene VII open?
3. According the opening of Scene XII, where is Galileo living?
4. What year is it at the opening of Scene IX?
5. According to the person from the Grand Duke's Palace, what bell will ring when Galileo recants his teachings?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the opening of Scene VII, why does the "Little Monk" admit to Galileo that he has not been able to sleep?
2. What does Brecht mean when he wrote, "The depths are hot, the heights are chill. The streets are loud, the court is still" at the opening of Scene IX?
3. What problems does Virginia find with Galileo traveling to Padua and taking time off?
4. What does Andrea say the inquisition was doing to the "truth"?
5. Why does Ludovico call off the wedding to Virginia?
6. What were Federzoni and Andrea's worries concerning Galileo's Inquisition?
7. Why does Galileo think that Cardinal Bellarmin gifted him a Cellini clock?
8. What does the Court's expect to happen at 5:00 on the day of Galileo's inquisition?
9. Why does the "Little Monk" use the story of his family and town's history to show Galileo his fears about the mixing of science and religion?
10. What do the experiment with the iron needle and water prove?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)