|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the monk say that he has to have permission from before Galileo can see an eye doctor?
(a) The Pope.
(b) Monsignor Carpula.
(c) The Rector.
(d) Cardinal Bellarmin.
2. Who does the Inquisitor say is an expert on instruments?
(a) Signor Vanni.
(b) Rector Gaffone.
(c) Signor Galilei.
(d) Cardinal Barberini.
3. According the opening of Scene XII, where is Galileo living?
(a) In a country house near Florence.
(b) In Venice.
(c) In a jail cell.
(d) In Virginia's home under lock and key.
4. What type of language does the Inquisitor say that Galileo writes in?
(a) "The language of mathematicians."
(b) "The language of the fishwives and wool merchants."
(c) "The language of scholars."
(d) "The language of the Church, Ecclesiastical Latin."
5. What does Galileo claim the he knows the difference between when Vanni tells him he is "unable to distinguish your friends from your enemies"?
(a) Imagination and reality.
(b) Wealth and poverty.
(c) Science and religion.
(d) Power and impotence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Scene VIII open?
2. What does Federzoni say he would rather do if Galileo recanted his teachings?
3. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that Galileo could not say "no" to?
4. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that he will not have destroyed?
5. While waiting for Galileo's inquisition to finish, what does Andrea say he fears would never be completed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ludovico call off the wedding to Virginia?
2. What do the experiment with the iron needle and water prove?
3. Why does The Grand Duke ask Galileo about his eyesight?
4. What did the astronomer at the University tell Virginia about her horoscope?
5. Why is Galileo not worried about the Cardinal Inquisitor being in Florence?
6. What were the problems that Galileo faced with living in both Florence and the Republic regarding the Discorsi?
7. What were Federzoni and Andrea's worries concerning Galileo's Inquisition?
8. Why does Vanni want Galileo to leave Florence?
9. What does Brecht mean when he wrote, "The depths are hot, the heights are chill. The streets are loud, the court is still" at the opening of Scene IX?
10. What does Galileo say regarding his public recanting of his teachings?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)