|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Galileo tell Virginia that he was afraid of?
(a) The Inquisitor.
(b) Rector Gaffone.
(d) The Pope.
2. Who does the Inquisitor say is an expert on instruments?
(a) Rector Gaffone.
(b) Signor Galilei.
(c) Cardinal Barberini.
(d) Signor Vanni.
3. After the bell rang, who reads Galileo's recant on the street?
(a) The crier.
(b) The Pope.
4. What manuscripts does Galileo give to the "Little Monk"?
(a) Papers on why the ocean moves in ebb and flood.
(b) Papers on the sun being the center of the universe.
(c) Papers on the inquiry of time.
(d) Papers on evolution.
5. What time do the people of the inquisition believe that Galileo would recant?
Short Answer Questions
1. While speaking with the "Little Monk" about his family's life, what animal does Galileo talk about ?
2. Who does the monk say that he has to have permission from before Galileo can see an eye doctor?
3. Where did Scene X open?
4. At the opening of Scene IX, who is Galileo and Virginia waiting to be admitted by?
5. At the end of Scene Seven, the "Little Monk" told Galileo that he cannot understand what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Galileo state that he prefers healthy oysters?
2. Why does Galileo think that Cardinal Bellarmin gifted him a Cellini clock?
3. What problems does Virginia find with Galileo traveling to Padua and taking time off?
4. What was Galileo speaking about to the "Little Monk" when he spoke of his feelings for beauty and truth?
5. In the opening of Scene VII, why does the "Little Monk" admit to Galileo that he has not been able to sleep?
6. Why does Vanni tell Galileo that he is on his side regarding Galileo's teachings?
7. What were the problems that Galileo faced with living in both Florence and the Republic regarding the Discorsi?
8. What lie does Galileo tell Virginia about being summoned by The Duke?
9. Why is Galileo not worried about the Cardinal Inquisitor being in Florence?
10. What does Brecht mean when he wrote, "The depths are hot, the heights are chill. The streets are loud, the court is still" at the opening of Scene IX?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)