|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Scene X open?
(a) The court of the Holy Inquisition.
(b) An apartment in the Vatican.
(c) The Florentine Court.
(d) Andrea's home.
2. Where does Galileo hide a copy of his Discorsi?
(a) The globe.
(b) Behind his star charts.
(c) In his bed.
(d) A false bottom in his desk.
3. What is Virginia sewing at the opening of Scene VIII?
(a) A suit.
(b) A trousseau.
(c) A dress.
(d) Linen napkins.
4. Why does Galileo tell Andrea that they could not investigate sunspots?
(a) Because they were" not authorized by the Holy Court."
(b) Because they were "working on floating bodies."
(c) Because they had "too much knowledge already."
(d) Because they "could not waste their time."
5. To where does the "High Official" tell Galileo that he has to go to face the Holy Inquisition?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Galileo tell Virginia that he was afraid of?
2. While waiting to hear news of the inquisition, what are the "Little Monk" and Federzoni doing?
3. To what day, did the opening of Scene XII, say that Galileo would be a prisoner of the Church?
4. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that he will not have destroyed?
5. When the "Little Monk" spent time with Galileo, while Galileo was in prison, to whom does Galileo compare his work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Federzoni and Andrea's worries concerning Galileo's Inquisition?
2. Why does Vanni tell Galileo that he is on his side regarding Galileo's teachings?
3. Why does Galileo use the satire of Horace to explain the necessity of all parts of his study being present in his observations?
4. During Galileo's students conversation, while waiting for Galileo's recanting, the students did find some humor in the situation. What humor did they find?
5. Why does The Grand Duke ask Galileo about his eyesight?
6. When at the summoning Galileo, Galileo tells Virginia that he is afraid of Rector Gaffone. Why is Galileo afraid of the Rector?
7. What was Galileo speaking about to the "Little Monk" when he spoke of his feelings for beauty and truth?
8. In the opening of Scene VII, why does the "Little Monk" admit to Galileo that he has not been able to sleep?
9. Why does Galileo think that Cardinal Bellarmin gifted him a Cellini clock?
10. Why does Vanni want Galileo to leave Florence?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)