|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the dates that Scene XII took place?
2. According to Galileo, what gives the "Little Monk" the right to say whatever he wishes?
(a) Hie rank.
(b) The Pope.
(c) The church.
(d) His habit.
3. Who does Galileo tell Virginia invited him to Padua?
(d) Rector Gaffone.
4. Who did Galileo design a smelting-plant for?
(c) Rector Gaffone.
(d) Signor Vanni.
5. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that Galileo could not say "no" to?
(a) "To an old friend and a new friend."
(b) "To an old wine or a new idea."
(c) "To an old friend or a new invention."
(d) "To an old idea and a new vision."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Inquisitor want to keep while "damning" Galileo's writings?
2. Where does Scene VIII open?
3. To what day, did the opening of Scene XII, say that Galileo would be a prisoner of the Church?
4. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that he will not have destroyed?
5. Why does Galileo tell Andrea that they could not investigate sunspots?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Galileo speaking about to the "Little Monk" when he spoke of his feelings for beauty and truth?
2. Why does Vanni want Galileo to leave Florence?
3. During Galileo's students conversation, while waiting for Galileo's recanting, the students did find some humor in the situation. What humor did they find?
4. Why does the "Little Monk" use the story of his family and town's history to show Galileo his fears about the mixing of science and religion?
5. What problems does Virginia find with Galileo traveling to Padua and taking time off?
6. Why is Galileo not worried about the Cardinal Inquisitor being in Florence?
7. What does Andrea say the inquisition was doing to the "truth"?
8. What do the experiment with the iron needle and water prove?
9. What were the problems that Galileo faced with living in both Florence and the Republic regarding the Discorsi?
10. Why does Ludovico call off the wedding to Virginia?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)