|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Scene IX, what awaits Galileo?
(a) His Highness, the Grand Duke.
(b) The Florentine Court.
(c) The coach of the Holy Inquisition.
2. According to Vanni, how many books on agriculture were published, within the last year, in London?
(a) 14 books.
(b) 5 books.
(c) 2 books.
(d) 8 books.
3. What manuscripts does Galileo give to the "Little Monk"?
(a) Papers on the sun being the center of the universe.
(b) Papers on evolution.
(c) Papers on the inquiry of time.
(d) Papers on why the ocean moves in ebb and flood.
4. In Scene XI, how many days does the "Little Monk" say that Galileo had been sitting in prison?
(a) 30 days.
(b) 47 days.
(c) 13 days.
(d) 23 days.
5. According to the person from the Grand Duke's Palace, what bell will ring when Galileo recants his teachings?
(a) The great bell of St. Mercy.
(b) The great bell of St. John.
(c) The great bell of St. Michael.
(d) The great bell of St. Mark's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Andrea say he is going to go when he leaves Italy to "take up scientific work"?
2. Who does the Inquisitor say is an expert on instruments?
3. What does Galileo claim the he knows the difference between when Vanni tells him he is "unable to distinguish your friends from your enemies"?
4. What does Federzoni think has begun, "the hour of its birth," when the bell does not ring at the time the inquisitors thought it would?
5. After the bell rang, who reads Galileo's recant on the street?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does The Grand Duke ask Galileo about his eyesight?
2. In the opening of Scene VII, why does the "Little Monk" admit to Galileo that he has not been able to sleep?
3. What were Federzoni and Andrea's worries concerning Galileo's Inquisition?
4. What does Galileo say regarding his public recanting of his teachings?
5. During Galileo's students conversation, while waiting for Galileo's recanting, the students did find some humor in the situation. What humor did they find?
6. What did the astronomer at the University tell Virginia about her horoscope?
7. What were the problems that Galileo faced with living in both Florence and the Republic regarding the Discorsi?
8. Why does Galileo think that Cardinal Bellarmin gifted him a Cellini clock?
9. What problems does Virginia find with Galileo traveling to Padua and taking time off?
10. What does Andrea say the inquisition was doing to the "truth"?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)