|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What pages from Galileo's book do the Monks have?
(a) 145 and 146.
(b) 116 and 117.
(c) 47 and 48.
(d) 131 and 132.
2. According to Galileo, what gives the "Little Monk" the right to say whatever he wishes?
(a) Hie rank.
(b) The church.
(c) His habit.
(d) The Pope.
3. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that Galileo could not say "no" to?
(a) "To an old friend and a new friend."
(b) "To an old wine or a new idea."
(c) "To an old friend or a new invention."
(d) "To an old idea and a new vision."
4. What does Signor Gaffone give to Virginia, "in mint condition," to give to her father?
(a) A book.
(b) A letter of intent.
(c) A copyright for the telescope.
(d) A manuscript.
5. Who was Pope Urban VII, prior to receiving his papal name?
(a) The "Old Cardinal."
(b) Cardinal Barberini.
(d) Cardinal Bellarmin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What astrological sign does Virgina align with?
2. While speaking with the "Little Monk" about his family's life, what animal does Galileo talk about ?
3. Why does Andrea say that Galileo could not have stayed in the Republic?
4. Why does Sarti tell Virginia to go to the University to see an astronomer?
5. According the opening of Scene XII, where is Galileo living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brecht mean when he wrote, "The depths are hot, the heights are chill. The streets are loud, the court is still" at the opening of Scene IX?
2. What did the astronomer at the University tell Virginia about her horoscope?
3. In the opening of Scene VII, why does the "Little Monk" admit to Galileo that he has not been able to sleep?
4. What does the Court's expect to happen at 5:00 on the day of Galileo's inquisition?
5. Why does Galileo use the satire of Horace to explain the necessity of all parts of his study being present in his observations?
6. When at the summoning Galileo, Galileo tells Virginia that he is afraid of Rector Gaffone. Why is Galileo afraid of the Rector?
7. What do Andrea and the "Little Monk" compare the possibility of Galileo recanting to?
8. What lie does Galileo tell Virginia about being summoned by The Duke?
9. During Galileo's students conversation, while waiting for Galileo's recanting, the students did find some humor in the situation. What humor did they find?
10. What were the problems that Galileo faced with living in both Florence and the Republic regarding the Discorsi?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)