|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who claims that Galileo would damn him if he (Galileo) would not see him?
(d) The "Little Monk."
2. What manuscripts does Galileo give to the "Little Monk"?
(a) Papers on why the ocean moves in ebb and flood.
(b) Papers on the sun being the center of the universe.
(c) Papers on evolution.
(d) Papers on the inquiry of time.
3. While speaking with the "Little Monk" about his family's life, what animal does Galileo talk about ?
(a) A scallop.
(b) A oyster.
(c) A sea urchin.
(d) A crab.
4. What is the only thing that the people from the "Little Monk's" village knew about?
5. Why does Andrea say that Galileo could not have stayed in the Republic?
(a) Because he could not study the stars there.
(b) Because he could not write his book there.
(c) Because he could not study the ocean there.
(d) Because he could not publish his book there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time do the people of the inquisition believe that Galileo would recant?
2. At the end of Scene Seven, the "Little Monk" told Galileo that he cannot understand what?
3. What kind of clock is Galileo presented with as a gift from Cardinal Bellarmin?
4. To where does the "High Official" tell Galileo that he has to go to face the Holy Inquisition?
5. Where did Scene XI take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lie does Galileo tell Virginia about being summoned by The Duke?
2. Why does The Grand Duke ask Galileo about his eyesight?
3. Why does Ludovico call off the wedding to Virginia?
4. What does Galileo say regarding his public recanting of his teachings?
5. Why does Vanni tell Galileo that he is on his side regarding Galileo's teachings?
6. What were Federzoni and Andrea's worries concerning Galileo's Inquisition?
7. What do the experiment with the iron needle and water prove?
8. During Galileo's students conversation, while waiting for Galileo's recanting, the students did find some humor in the situation. What humor did they find?
9. When at the summoning Galileo, Galileo tells Virginia that he is afraid of Rector Gaffone. Why is Galileo afraid of the Rector?
10. Why is Galileo not worried about the Cardinal Inquisitor being in Florence?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)