|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Galileo hide a copy of his Discorsi?
(a) In his bed.
(b) A false bottom in his desk.
(c) Behind his star charts.
(d) The globe.
2. In Scene XI, how many days does the "Little Monk" say that Galileo had been sitting in prison?
(a) 30 days.
(b) 13 days.
(c) 23 days.
(d) 47 days.
3. What author has Galileo begun to read again? (Revealed by Galileo to the "Little Monk" during their conversation in Scene VII.)
4. At the end of Scene Seven, the "Little Monk" told Galileo that he cannot understand what?
(a) A model.
(b) A sentence.
(c) A drawing.
(d) A word.
5. What does Signor Gaffone give to Virginia, "in mint condition," to give to her father?
(a) A copyright for the telescope.
(b) A letter of intent.
(c) A manuscript.
(d) A book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the date at the opening of Scene XI?
2. Where does Scene VII open?
3. What is Virginia sewing at the opening of Scene VIII?
4. What does Federzoni think has begun, "the hour of its birth," when the bell does not ring at the time the inquisitors thought it would?
5. What astrological sign does Virgina align with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ludovico call off the wedding to Virginia?
2. What does Andrea say the inquisition was doing to the "truth"?
3. Why is Galileo not worried about the Cardinal Inquisitor being in Florence?
4. Why does Galileo state that he prefers healthy oysters?
5. What were the problems that Galileo faced with living in both Florence and the Republic regarding the Discorsi?
6. What do the experiment with the iron needle and water prove?
7. Why does Vanni want Galileo to leave Florence?
8. Why does Vanni tell Galileo that he is on his side regarding Galileo's teachings?
9. What does Galileo say regarding his public recanting of his teachings?
10. What was Galileo speaking about to the "Little Monk" when he spoke of his feelings for beauty and truth?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)