|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Pope Urban VII, prior to receiving his papal name?
(b) The "Old Cardinal."
(c) Cardinal Barberini.
(d) Cardinal Bellarmin.
2. What pages from Galileo's book do the Monks have?
(a) 47 and 48.
(b) 131 and 132.
(c) 116 and 117.
(d) 145 and 146.
3. Who does Galileo tell Virginia that he was afraid of?
(b) Rector Gaffone.
(c) The Inquisitor.
(d) The Pope.
4. Where does Galileo hide a copy of his Discorsi?
(a) Behind his star charts.
(b) A false bottom in his desk.
(c) In his bed.
(d) The globe.
5. What does the new Pope, at the opening of Scene VIII, want Galileo to study?
(a) The Earth's rotation.
(b) The stars.
(c) The moon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What author has Galileo begun to read again? (Revealed by Galileo to the "Little Monk" during their conversation in Scene VII.)
2. Why does Galileo tell Andrea that they could not investigate sunspots?
3. According to the "Little Monk," how many nights passed since he had been able to sleep?
4. What astrological sign does Virgina align with?
5. In Scene XI, how many days does the "Little Monk" say that Galileo had been sitting in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Galileo say regarding his public recanting of his teachings?
2. Why does Vanni want Galileo to leave Florence?
3. What does Brecht mean when he wrote, "The depths are hot, the heights are chill. The streets are loud, the court is still" at the opening of Scene IX?
4. What problems does Virginia find with Galileo traveling to Padua and taking time off?
5. Why does the "Little Monk" use the story of his family and town's history to show Galileo his fears about the mixing of science and religion?
6. Why does Ludovico call off the wedding to Virginia?
7. What does Andrea say the inquisition was doing to the "truth"?
8. What did the astronomer at the University tell Virginia about her horoscope?
9. What was Galileo speaking about to the "Little Monk" when he spoke of his feelings for beauty and truth?
10. What were the problems that Galileo faced with living in both Florence and the Republic regarding the Discorsi?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)