|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What astrological sign does Virgina align with?
(b) The Twins.
2. While speaking with the "Little Monk" about his family's life, what animal does Galileo talk about ?
(a) A scallop.
(b) A sea urchin.
(c) A crab.
(d) A oyster.
3. Who does Galileo say are his "favorite readings"?
(a) The Bible and Socrates.
(b) Aristotle and Plato.
(c) The Bible and Homer.
(d) Socrates and Homer.
4. After the bell rang, who reads Galileo's recant on the street?
(b) The Pope.
(d) The crier.
5. What, according to Andrea, do the people of Paris and Prague believe sunspots were?
(a) Vapors from the sun.
(b) Surface winds.
(c) Swarms of stars.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the "Little Monk," how many nights passed since he had been able to sleep?
2. According the opening of Scene XII, where is Galileo living?
3. Who does the monk say that he has to have permission from before Galileo can see an eye doctor?
4. While Galileo is in with the inquisition, what is Virginia doing?
5. Why does Vanni say Galileo would be better off in Venice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does Virginia find with Galileo traveling to Padua and taking time off?
2. During Galileo's students conversation, while waiting for Galileo's recanting, the students did find some humor in the situation. What humor did they find?
3. Why does Vanni want Galileo to leave Florence?
4. Why does Galileo use the satire of Horace to explain the necessity of all parts of his study being present in his observations?
5. What was Galileo speaking about to the "Little Monk" when he spoke of his feelings for beauty and truth?
6. What lie does Galileo tell Virginia about being summoned by The Duke?
7. Why does the "Little Monk" use the story of his family and town's history to show Galileo his fears about the mixing of science and religion?
8. Why does Galileo state that he prefers healthy oysters?
9. Why does Ludovico call off the wedding to Virginia?
10. What does Brecht mean when he wrote, "The depths are hot, the heights are chill. The streets are loud, the court is still" at the opening of Scene IX?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)