|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the "Little Monk," how many nights passed since he had been able to sleep?
(a) 5 nights.
(b) 3 nights.
(c) 7 nights.
(d) 6 n ights.
2. While Galileo is in with the inquisition, what is Virginia doing?
3. At the opening of Scene IX, who is Galileo and Virginia waiting to be admitted by?
(a) The Pope.
(d) The Grand Duke.
4. What manuscripts does Galileo give to the "Little Monk"?
(a) Papers on evolution.
(b) Papers on the inquiry of time.
(c) Papers on the sun being the center of the universe.
(d) Papers on why the ocean moves in ebb and flood.
5. Where had the "Little Monk" grown up?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Virginia sewing at the opening of Scene VIII?
2. How old is Virginia in Scene XII?
3. After the bell rang, who reads Galileo's recant on the street?
4. Where does Andrea say he is going to go when he leaves Italy to "take up scientific work"?
5. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that he will not have destroyed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Galileo use the satire of Horace to explain the necessity of all parts of his study being present in his observations?
2. When at the summoning Galileo, Galileo tells Virginia that he is afraid of Rector Gaffone. Why is Galileo afraid of the Rector?
3. What lie does Galileo tell Virginia about being summoned by The Duke?
4. Why does the "Little Monk" use the story of his family and town's history to show Galileo his fears about the mixing of science and religion?
5. What was Galileo speaking about to the "Little Monk" when he spoke of his feelings for beauty and truth?
6. In the opening of Scene VII, why does the "Little Monk" admit to Galileo that he has not been able to sleep?
7. Why does Vanni want Galileo to leave Florence?
8. What were Federzoni and Andrea's worries concerning Galileo's Inquisition?
9. What do the experiment with the iron needle and water prove?
10. Why is Galileo not worried about the Cardinal Inquisitor being in Florence?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)