|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sarti tell Virginia to go to the University to see an astronomer?
(a) To seek a better husband.
(b) To prove her father's teachings false.
(c) To prove her father's teachings true.
(d) To cast her horoscope.
2. How many months of pay does the Court owe Galileo? (in Scene Nine)
(a) 6 months pay.
(b) 12 months pay.
(c) 2 months pay.
(d) 3 months pay.
3. When the "Little Monk" spent time with Galileo, while Galileo was in prison, to whom does Galileo compare his work?
(a) The Mayans.
4. Where did Scene XI take place?
(a) In the Palace of the Florentine Ambassador in Rome.
(b) An apartment in the Vatican.
(c) In the Court of Inquisition in Florence.
(d) In the Hall of Trials in Venice.
5. Who, from Amsterdam, wanted Andrea to ask about Galileo's health?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Scene Seven, the "Little Monk" told Galileo that he cannot understand what?
2. What does the new Pope, at the opening of Scene VIII, want Galileo to study?
3. What, according to Andrea, do the people of Paris and Prague believe sunspots were?
4. What does Galileo tell Vanni that he values after Vanni suggests that Galileo "take up flight"?
5. What type of language does the Inquisitor say that Galileo writes in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the astronomer at the University tell Virginia about her horoscope?
2. Why does Vanni want Galileo to leave Florence?
3. What were Federzoni and Andrea's worries concerning Galileo's Inquisition?
4. What does the Court's expect to happen at 5:00 on the day of Galileo's inquisition?
5. Why does Vanni tell Galileo that he is on his side regarding Galileo's teachings?
6. What does Andrea say the inquisition was doing to the "truth"?
7. Why does The Grand Duke ask Galileo about his eyesight?
8. When at the summoning Galileo, Galileo tells Virginia that he is afraid of Rector Gaffone. Why is Galileo afraid of the Rector?
9. Why does Galileo state that he prefers healthy oysters?
10. What problems does Virginia find with Galileo traveling to Padua and taking time off?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)