|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the globes on the Ptolemaic system model made of?
2. How old is Galileo's daughter, Virginia, in Scene II?
(a) 12 years old.
(b) 17 years old.
(c) 15 years old.
(d) 11 years old.
3. Who is Virginia speaking with at the end of Scene VI?
(a) The Inquisitor.
(b) Her fiance.
(d) Her father.
4. What does the stone at the center of the Ptolemaic system model represent?
(a) The moon.
(b) The sun.
5. What is the monk play-acting? (in the opening of Scene V.)
(a) The he was Galileo.
(b) The he was drunk.
(c) The he was looking at the sun through the telescope.
(d) That the Earth was spinning too fast.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who enters the room after the "Very Old Cardinal" collapses?
2. What prediction does Galileo make to Andrea about astronomy?
3. How old is Andrea in Scene I?
4. Who does the Philosopher say is "Italy's and the Church's greatest astronomer"?
5. Where did Ludovico Marsili's letter say he has studied?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Inquisitor tell Virginia that Galileo's new picture of the universe was harmful?
2. Why does Galileo believe that naming the new stars by the name Medici would allow him some leeway on his studies?
3. Why is Andrea's mother, Sarti, worried about Galileo teaching Andrea about the revolving of the Earth around the sun?
4. What does the Clerk mean when he tells Galileo "We can only afford moves like this"?
5. Why is the Curator angry with Galileo after Galileo received his raise from the University with the Curator's help?
6. What is the relevance of the song at Cardinal Bellarmin's party?
7. How does Galileo explain the illumination of the moon and earth to Sagredo?
8. What does Galileo do to explain the movement of the Earth around the sun to Andrea?
9. Why does the Inquisitor find it funny that Virginia knew nothing of her father's studies?
10. Why does Galileo refuse to let Virginia look through the telescope?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)