|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does Galileo want to bestow on the new stars he found?
2. Why does the Grand Duke of Tuscany come to Galileo's home?
(a) To talk to Santi.
(b) To talk to Galileo about stars.
(c) To see the telescope.
(d) To see Andrea.
3. On what date did the inquisition put the Copernican teachings on the index?
(a) April 1, 1618.
(b) December 25, 1616.
(c) October 28, 1629.
(d) March 15, 1616.
4. Who is Virginia speaking with at the end of Scene VI?
(a) Her fiance.
(b) The Inquisitor.
(d) Her father.
5. In what city does Galileo teach mathematics in the opening of the play?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Galileo use to represent the Earth when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
2. According to Bellarmin, whose responsibility is it to interpret the Bible?
3. Why does Andrea leave the room when Galileo was asking the men from the courts to look through the telescope?
4. While talking to Andrea about the ships that had found new continents, what does Galileo call the "dreaded ocean"?
5. What is the monk play-acting? (in the opening of Scene V.)
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Clerk mean when he tells Galileo "We can only afford moves like this"?
2. Why does Sagredo tell Galileo that he (Galileo) is contradicting all astronomical science from the last two thousand years?
3. What is the relevance of the song at Cardinal Bellarmin's party?
4. Why does Galileo believe that he and Virgina need to move to Florence?
5. Why does the Inquisitor find it funny that Virginia knew nothing of her father's studies?
6. What does Virginia find out about her father's fame on the day of the party at Cardinal Bellarmin's?
7. What is happening at the opening of Scene I?
8. When Andrea questions Galileo about the Ptolemaic system model, what is Galileo's answer?
9. Why does Galileo refuse to let Virginia look through the telescope?
10. What does Galileo do to explain the movement of the Earth around the sun to Andrea?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)