|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Virginia say she will be married?
2. Who does the Philosopher say is "Italy's and the Church's greatest astronomer"?
(a) Micheal Montrassauri.
(d) Christopher Clavius.
3. Who does Andrea tell his mother had "worked out" that the Earth went around the sun?
4. What object does Andrea tell Galileo not to use because "You can prove anything with them"?
(a) An apple.
(b) A pear.
(c) An orange.
(d) A ball of yarn.
5. Who is Virginia's Father Confessor?
(a) Father Christophorus from Saint Ursula.
(b) Father Michael from Saint Cornela.
(c) Father Franz from Notre Dame.
(d) Father Steine from Saint Mercy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the monk play-acting? (in the opening of Scene V.)
2. While at the ball, what chapter of the Bible do both Cardinal Bellarmin and Cardinal Barberini quote?
3. When, according to Galileo, does he "get most inspiration"?
4. What name does Galileo want to bestow on the new stars he found?
5. What do the strips of paper on the Ptolemaic system model have written on them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sagredo tell Galileo that he (Galileo) is contradicting all astronomical science from the last two thousand years?
2. Why does Galileo believe that he and Virgina need to move to Florence?
3. What lie does Galileo tell the Senators about the telescope to secure his raise at the University?
4. Cardinal Barberini quoted Ecclesiastes, the Preacher, when he first addressed Galileo at the party. What is Galileo's response to the Cardinal?
5. Describe why the Ptolemaic system model is accepted by the majority of society as the truth for how the solar system exists.
6. Why does the Inquisitor have the conversation between Galileo and Cardinal Bellarmin transcribed?
7. Why does Galileo say the sailing of ships across the sea creates "a great desire has arisen to fathom the causes of all thing[s]"?
8. Why does Galileo believe that naming the new stars by the name Medici would allow him some leeway on his studies?
9. What does Galileo do to explain the movement of the Earth around the sun to Andrea?
10. What does Galileo say fueled his desire to discover new philosophies?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)