|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Andrea in Scene I?
(a) 10 years old.
(b) 8 years old.
(c) 14 years old.
(d) 12 years old.
2. Where does Galileo tell Sagredo that the light from the moon comes from?
(b) The sun.
(d) The moon.
3. Where did Ludovico Marsili's letter say he has studied?
4. Where does Scene VI open?
(a) Galileo's home.
(b) Cardinal Bellarmin's House in Rome.
(c) The Court of Florence.
(d) Ludovico's home.
5. According to the Curator, what republic refuses the Inquisition any say in scientific affairs?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Andrea leave the room when Galileo was asking the men from the courts to look through the telescope?
2. When Sagredo asks Galileo about where God was, what is Galileo's answer?
3. What is the name of the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
4. According to Galileo, if one believes in humanity, they believe in what?
5. What is the date of the opening of Scene III?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cardinal Barberini quoted Ecclesiastes, the Preacher, when he first addressed Galileo at the party. What is Galileo's response to the Cardinal?
2. Why does Ludovico seem upset with Galileo at the end of Scene II?
3. Why does the Curator refuse to give Galileo the raise that he requests for his work as a mathematician at the University?
4. Why does Galileo believe that naming the new stars by the name Medici would allow him some leeway on his studies?
5. Why did Galileo, as pointed out by Sagredo, teach the Ptolemaic model over the Copernican model given his belief in the Copernican model of the universe?
6. What does the Clerk mean when he tells Galileo "We can only afford moves like this"?
7. What does Virginia find out about her father's fame on the day of the party at Cardinal Bellarmin's?
8. What does the telescope do for Galileo by January of 1610?
9. When Andrea questions Galileo about the Ptolemaic system model, what is Galileo's answer?
10. Why does the Inquisitor find it funny that Virginia knew nothing of her father's studies?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)