|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Virginia say she will be married?
2. According to Galileo, what "grows feeble from being abused"?
3. When discussing Galileo's findings regarding the movement of stars, who did the Philosopher think Signer Federzoni was?
(a) Galileo's son-in-law.
(b) Galileo's lens-grinder.
(c) Galileo's student.
(d) Galileo's manservant.
4. According to Bellarmin, whose teachings have been found, by the Holy Office, to be "futile, foolish and heretical"?
(a) Galileo's teachings.
(b) Copernicus' teachings.
(c) Plato's teachings.
(d) Socrates' teachings.
5. What is the monk play-acting? (in the opening of Scene V.)
(a) The he was Galileo.
(b) The he was drunk.
(c) The he was looking at the sun through the telescope.
(d) That the Earth was spinning too fast.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Galileo when he was arguing with the Curator about salary?
2. Who is Virginia speaking with at the end of Scene VI?
3. What is the name of the bailiff?
4. What do Cosimo and Andrea break during their fighting on the floor?
5. Which Dane determines the track of a comet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sagredo afraid for Galileo concerning Galileo's move to Florence?
2. Why did Galileo, as pointed out by Sagredo, teach the Ptolemaic model over the Copernican model given his belief in the Copernican model of the universe?
3. What does Galileo say fueled his desire to discover new philosophies?
4. What does the Clerk mean when he tells Galileo "We can only afford moves like this"?
5. Why does the Inquisitor tell Virginia that Galileo's new picture of the universe was harmful?
6. Why does the Inquisitor find it funny that Virginia knew nothing of her father's studies?
7. What lie does Galileo tell the Senators about the telescope to secure his raise at the University?
8. Cardinal Barberini quoted Ecclesiastes, the Preacher, when he first addressed Galileo at the party. What is Galileo's response to the Cardinal?
9. Why does the Inquisitor have the conversation between Galileo and Cardinal Bellarmin transcribed?
10. What does the telescope do for Galileo by January of 1610?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)