|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Galileo tell Virginia that they move to Florence?
(a) To work for the University.
(b) So he could be the Court Mathematician.
(c) So that he could sell his telescopes.
(d) To find her a husband.
2. What do the strips of paper on the Ptolemaic system model have written on them?
(a) Names of stars.
(b) Names of moons.
(c) Names of planets.
(d) Names of galaxies.
3. What object does Andrea tell Galileo not to use because "You can prove anything with them"?
(a) An apple.
(b) A pear.
(c) A ball of yarn.
(d) An orange.
4. What is the monk play-acting? (in the opening of Scene V.)
(a) That the Earth was spinning too fast.
(b) The he was looking at the sun through the telescope.
(c) The he was Galileo.
(d) The he was drunk.
5. Who does the Philosopher say is "Italy's and the Church's greatest astronomer"?
(a) Micheal Montrassauri.
(d) Christopher Clavius.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Duke and his Court attend after leaving Galileo's home?
2. What is the name of the bailiff?
3. Who does the "Very Old Cardinal" claim was the "crown of creation"?
4. What does Galileo tell the Curator would "save millions of scudi in navigation"?
5. What does the First Scholar see that Galileo dropped?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Inquisitor find it funny that Virginia knew nothing of her father's studies?
2. What does Virginia find out about her father's fame on the day of the party at Cardinal Bellarmin's?
3. How does Galileo explain the illumination of the moon and earth to Sagredo?
4. Cardinal Barberini quoted Ecclesiastes, the Preacher, when he first addressed Galileo at the party. What is Galileo's response to the Cardinal?
5. What does the Clerk mean when he tells Galileo "We can only afford moves like this"?
6. Why does Galileo refuse to let Virginia look through the telescope?
7. What is the relevance of the song at Cardinal Bellarmin's party?
8. Why does Sagredo tell Galileo that he (Galileo) is contradicting all astronomical science from the last two thousand years?
9. What lie does Galileo tell the Senators about the telescope to secure his raise at the University?
10. What does Galileo do to explain the movement of the Earth around the sun to Andrea?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)