|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what country does the Curator tell Galileo that telescopes were sold in markets?
2. What name does Galileo want to bestow on the new stars he found?
3. When, according to Galileo, does he "get most inspiration"?
(a) When he thought about Virginia's dowry.
(b) When he looked at the stars.
(c) When he read.
(d) When he ate.
4. When Sagredo asks Galileo about where God was, what is Galileo's answer?
(a) "On the moon."
(b) "On the brightest star."
(c) "In us, or nowhere."
(d) "On earth, buried deeply as to not be found."
5. What invention does Ludovico tell Galileo about that he has just seen in Holland?
(a) "That funny tube."
(b) "The glass that sees."
(c) "That box that talks."
(d) "The horn that hears."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the "Very Old Cardinal" call Galileo because of Galileo's claims?
2. According to Bellarmin, whose teachings have been found, by the Holy Office, to be "futile, foolish and heretical"?
3. What does Galileo tell Andrea to put on the table? (Scene I)
4. Where does Scene VI open?
5. Where does Virginia say she will be married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the telescope do for Galileo by January of 1610?
2. Why is Andrea's mother, Sarti, worried about Galileo teaching Andrea about the revolving of the Earth around the sun?
3. Why is Sagredo afraid for Galileo concerning Galileo's move to Florence?
4. Why does Galileo believe that he and Virgina need to move to Florence?
5. What does Virginia find out about her father's fame on the day of the party at Cardinal Bellarmin's?
6. Why is the Curator angry with Galileo after Galileo received his raise from the University with the Curator's help?
7. What is the relevance of the song at Cardinal Bellarmin's party?
8. Why does Galileo refuse to let Virginia look through the telescope?
9. Why does the Curator refuse to give Galileo the raise that he requests for his work as a mathematician at the University?
10. Describe the Ptolemaic system model that Galileo shows to Andrea.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)