|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the ball, what mask does Cardinal Bellarmin wear? (Scene VI)
(a) That of a clown.
(b) That of a lamb.
(c) That of an eagle.
(d) That of a wolf.
2. How many fixed stars does Galileo tell Sagredo were in the constellation of Orion?
(a) 500 fixed stars.
(b) 700 fixed stars.
(c) 5,000 fixed stars.
(d) 150 fixed stars.
3. What object does Andrea tell Galileo not to use because "You can prove anything with them"?
(a) A ball of yarn.
(b) A pear.
(c) An apple.
(d) An orange.
4. How old does Ludovico say the invention he saw in Holland was?
(a) A few hours old.
(b) A few days old.
(c) A week old.
(d) A month old.
5. How old is Galileo's daughter, Virginia, in Scene II?
(a) 15 years old.
(b) 17 years old.
(c) 11 years old.
(d) 12 years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Galileo ask the men to trust when looking through the telescope at the stars?
2. At the ball, what mask does Barberini wear? (Scene VI)
3. What does Cosimo call Andrea as they fight over the models?
4. Which Dane determines the track of a comet?
5. Who enters the room after the "Very Old Cardinal" collapses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cardinal Barberini quoted Ecclesiastes, the Preacher, when he first addressed Galileo at the party. What is Galileo's response to the Cardinal?
2. When Andrea questions Galileo about the Ptolemaic system model, what is Galileo's answer?
3. What lie does Galileo tell the Senators about the telescope to secure his raise at the University?
4. Why does Galileo use the satire of Horace to explain the necessity of all parts of his study being present in his observations?
5. What does Brecht mean when he wrote, "The depths are hot, the heights are chill. The streets are loud, the court is still" at the opening of Scene IX?
6. What were the problems that Galileo faced with living in both Florence and the Republic regarding the Discorsi?
7. Why does Ludovico seem upset with Galileo at the end of Scene II?
8. Why is Sagredo afraid for Galileo concerning Galileo's move to Florence?
9. Why does Sagredo tell Galileo that he (Galileo) is contradicting all astronomical science from the last two thousand years?
10. Why does Vanni tell Galileo that he is on his side regarding Galileo's teachings?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)