|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Galileo, who were the ones that were "no longer moved by reason"?
(a) "The dead."
(b) "The men who turned their backs on science."
(c) "The skeptics."
(d) "The disciples of religion."
2. According to the Curator, what republic refuses the Inquisition any say in scientific affairs?
3. Where does Scene VI open?
(a) Ludovico's home.
(b) Cardinal Bellarmin's House in Rome.
(c) The Court of Florence.
(d) Galileo's home.
4. According to the "Very Thin Monk," what is equated with the home of the human race?
(a) The sun.
(b) The moons of Jupiter.
(c) A wondering star.
5. Who does the Philosopher say is "an authority recognized not only by the entire learning of antiquity, but also by the Holy Fathers of the Church"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Virginia say she will be married?
2. Who does Andrea tell his mother had "worked out" that the Earth went around the sun?
3. What does Galileo use to represent the Earth when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
4. Where does Scene IV open?
5. What does Galileo say he bought instead of paying the milkman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Inquisitor tell Virginia that Galileo's new picture of the universe was harmful?
2. Why is Sagredo afraid for Galileo concerning Galileo's move to Florence?
3. Why does Galileo believe that naming the new stars by the name Medici would allow him some leeway on his studies?
4. What does the telescope do for Galileo by January of 1610?
5. Why does Galileo say the sailing of ships across the sea creates "a great desire has arisen to fathom the causes of all thing[s]"?
6. Why does Galileo believe that he and Virgina need to move to Florence?
7. Describe the Ptolemaic system model that Galileo shows to Andrea.
8. Why does the Inquisitor find it funny that Virginia knew nothing of her father's studies?
9. What is happening at the opening of Scene I?
10. What is the relevance of the song at Cardinal Bellarmin's party?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)