|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What invention does Ludovico tell Galileo about that he has just seen in Holland?
(a) "That box that talks."
(b) "That funny tube."
(c) "The glass that sees."
(d) "The horn that hears."
2. What does Cosimo call Andrea as they fight over the models?
3. What is the monk play-acting? (in the opening of Scene V.)
(a) The he was looking at the sun through the telescope.
(b) The he was Galileo.
(c) That the Earth was spinning too fast.
(d) The he was drunk.
4. While talking to Andrea about the ships that had found new continents, what does Galileo call the "dreaded ocean"?
(a) A puddle.
(b) A pond.
(c) A pool.
(d) A lake.
5. According to Galileo, who were the ones that were "no longer moved by reason"?
(a) "The skeptics."
(b) "The dead."
(c) "The disciples of religion."
(d) "The men who turned their backs on science."
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the globes on the Ptolemaic system model made of?
2. In what country does the Curator tell Galileo that telescopes were sold in markets?
3. According to Galileo, when informed upon the Holy Office's findings, who accepted Galileo's observations?
4. What object does Andrea tell Galileo not to use because "You can prove anything with them"?
5. How many fixed stars does Galileo tell Sagredo were in the constellation of Orion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Galileo explain the illumination of the moon and earth to Sagredo?
2. What lie does Galileo tell the Senators about the telescope to secure his raise at the University?
3. What is the significance of Galileo telling the Court Clerks of the "new way" to play chess?
4. Why does Galileo believe that he and Virgina need to move to Florence?
5. Why does Ludovico seem upset with Galileo at the end of Scene II?
6. Why is the Curator angry with Galileo after Galileo received his raise from the University with the Curator's help?
7. What does Galileo say fueled his desire to discover new philosophies?
8. Cardinal Barberini quoted Ecclesiastes, the Preacher, when he first addressed Galileo at the party. What is Galileo's response to the Cardinal?
9. Why did Galileo, as pointed out by Sagredo, teach the Ptolemaic model over the Copernican model given his belief in the Copernican model of the universe?
10. What does Galileo do to explain the movement of the Earth around the sun to Andrea?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)