|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Virginia speaking with at the end of Scene VI?
(a) The Inquisitor.
(b) Her fiance.
(d) Her father.
2. What does Galileo tell Sagredo the spots on stars were?
3. What is the date of the opening of Scene III?
(a) April 17, 1615.
(b) January 10, 1610.
(c) January 10, 1590.
(d) April1, 1611.
4. What does Galileo use to represent the Earth when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
(b) A chair.
(c) A loaf of bread.
(d) A milk bottle.
5. Which Dane determines the track of a comet?
(a) Tycho Brahe.
(c) Cosimo Medici.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sarti hand to Galileo while he was telling her about the new discoveries in science?
2. What does Galileo ask the men to trust when looking through the telescope at the stars?
3. According to Bellarmin, whose teachings have been found, by the Holy Office, to be "futile, foolish and heretical"?
4. What epicyclical orbit does Galileo draw on the blackboard when describing his discovery to the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
5. In what city does Galileo teach mathematics in the opening of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Inquisitor have the conversation between Galileo and Cardinal Bellarmin transcribed?
2. Why does Galileo believe that naming the new stars by the name Medici would allow him some leeway on his studies?
3. Why is Sagredo afraid for Galileo concerning Galileo's move to Florence?
4. What is the significance of Galileo telling the Court Clerks of the "new way" to play chess?
5. When Andrea questions Galileo about the Ptolemaic system model, what is Galileo's answer?
6. Describe why the Ptolemaic system model is accepted by the majority of society as the truth for how the solar system exists.
7. Why does Ludovico seem upset with Galileo at the end of Scene II?
8. What does Galileo do to explain the movement of the Earth around the sun to Andrea?
9. Why does Sagredo tell Galileo that he (Galileo) is contradicting all astronomical science from the last two thousand years?
10. Why did Galileo, as pointed out by Sagredo, teach the Ptolemaic model over the Copernican model given his belief in the Copernican model of the universe?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)