|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Galileo, when informed upon the Holy Office's findings, who accepted Galileo's observations?
(a) The Pope.
(b) The University of Florence.
(c) Cardinal Bellarmin.
(d) The astronomers of the Collegium Romanum.
2. What year is it in the opening of Scene V?
3. What is the date of the opening of Scene III?
(a) April 17, 1615.
(b) April1, 1611.
(c) January 10, 1590.
(d) January 10, 1610.
4. What is the monk play-acting? (in the opening of Scene V.)
(a) That the Earth was spinning too fast.
(b) The he was Galileo.
(c) The he was drunk.
(d) The he was looking at the sun through the telescope.
5. In the Ptolemaic system model, what does Galileo claim moved?
(b) Only the planets.
(c) Only the stars.
(d) Only the sun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Curator say that Galileo had invented for the city, calling the invention "excellent"?
2. According to the Curator, what republic refuses the Inquisition any say in scientific affairs?
3. What do the Duke and his Court attend after leaving Galileo's home?
4. What does Galileo use to represent the sun when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
5. Where does Scene V open?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening at the opening of Scene I?
2. What does Virginia find out about her father's fame on the day of the party at Cardinal Bellarmin's?
3. Why does the Inquisitor find it funny that Virginia knew nothing of her father's studies?
4. Why did Galileo, as pointed out by Sagredo, teach the Ptolemaic model over the Copernican model given his belief in the Copernican model of the universe?
5. Why is Sagredo afraid for Galileo concerning Galileo's move to Florence?
6. What does the Clerk mean when he tells Galileo "We can only afford moves like this"?
7. When Andrea questions Galileo about the Ptolemaic system model, what is Galileo's answer?
8. Why does Galileo believe that he and Virgina need to move to Florence?
9. Why does Galileo refuse to let Virginia look through the telescope?
10. Why does the Inquisitor have the conversation between Galileo and Cardinal Bellarmin transcribed?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)