|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Ptolemaic system model, what does Galileo claim moved?
(a) Only the sun.
(c) Only the stars.
(d) Only the planets.
2. Who is Virginia speaking with at the end of Scene VI?
(a) Her father.
(b) The Inquisitor.
(c) Her fiance.
3. Where does Scene IV open?
(a) Virginia's home.
(b) The marketplace.
(c) Galileo's home in Florence.
(d) The University in Florence.
4. What are the globes on the Ptolemaic system model made of?
5. Where does Galileo place the Ptolemaic system for Andrea to find?
(a) In the broom closet.
(b) Under the table.
(c) In the teapot.
(d) Behind the star charts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Chamberlain say is the name of the Astronomer-in-Chief at the Papal College in Rome?
2. Whom does the Inquisitor have taking a transcript of the conversation between Galileo and Cardinals Bellarmin and Barberini?
3. What chess piece does Galileo say took to "moving all over the board"?
4. Who does Andrea tell his mother had "worked out" that the Earth went around the sun?
5. Which Dane determines the track of a comet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Andrea's mother, Sarti, worried about Galileo teaching Andrea about the revolving of the Earth around the sun?
2. What does the Clerk mean when he tells Galileo "We can only afford moves like this"?
3. Why does the Inquisitor have the conversation between Galileo and Cardinal Bellarmin transcribed?
4. Why is the Curator angry with Galileo after Galileo received his raise from the University with the Curator's help?
5. Why does Sagredo tell Galileo that he (Galileo) is contradicting all astronomical science from the last two thousand years?
6. Why does the Inquisitor find it funny that Virginia knew nothing of her father's studies?
7. Describe why the Ptolemaic system model is accepted by the majority of society as the truth for how the solar system exists.
8. How does Galileo explain the illumination of the moon and earth to Sagredo?
9. Cardinal Barberini quoted Ecclesiastes, the Preacher, when he first addressed Galileo at the party. What is Galileo's response to the Cardinal?
10. Describe the Ptolemaic system model that Galileo shows to Andrea.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)