|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Andrea in Scene I?
(a) 14 years old.
(b) 8 years old.
(c) 10 years old.
(d) 12 years old.
2. What does the "Very Old Cardinal" call Galileo because of Galileo's claims?
(a) A thief of religion.
(b) The world's most knowledgable scientist.
(c) An enemy of the human race.
(d) An enemy of God.
3. According to Galileo, when informed upon the Holy Office's findings, who accepted Galileo's observations?
(a) The University of Florence.
(b) The astronomers of the Collegium Romanum.
(c) Cardinal Bellarmin.
(d) The Pope.
4. Who does the Philosopher say is "an authority recognized not only by the entire learning of antiquity, but also by the Holy Fathers of the Church"?
5. Where does Virginia say she will be married?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Andrea tell his mother had "worked out" that the Earth went around the sun?
2. What is the name of the bailiff?
3. Where does Scene VI open?
4. Who is Virginia's Father Confessor?
5. According to Galileo, if one believes in humanity, they believe in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Galileo say fueled his desire to discover new philosophies?
2. What did the astronomer at the University tell Virginia about her horoscope?
3. What is Virginia's comment to the Monk when he called Galileo an "old fox"?
4. Describe the Ptolemaic system model that Galileo shows to Andrea.
5. What were Federzoni and Andrea's worries concerning Galileo's Inquisition?
6. Why is the Curator angry with Galileo after Galileo received his raise from the University with the Curator's help?
7. What were the problems that Galileo faced with living in both Florence and the Republic regarding the Discorsi?
8. What lie does Galileo tell Virginia about being summoned by The Duke?
9. What does Brecht mean when he wrote, "The depths are hot, the heights are chill. The streets are loud, the court is still" at the opening of Scene IX?
10. Why does Ludovico seem upset with Galileo at the end of Scene II?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)