|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Galileo use to represent the sun when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
(a) A table.
(b) A chair.
(c) A lamp.
(d) A wash basin.
2. Who does the Chamberlain say is the name of the Astronomer-in-Chief at the Papal College in Rome?
(a) Father Christophe Cleminez.
(b) Father Franz Wistne.
(c) Father Micheal Measter.
(d) Father Christopher Clavius.
3. What does Galileo say he bought instead of paying the milkman?
4. Who enters the room after the "Very Old Cardinal" collapses?
(d) The Duke of Florence.
5. What is the date of the opening of Scene III?
(a) January 10, 1610.
(b) April 17, 1615.
(c) January 10, 1590.
(d) April1, 1611.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object does Andrea tell Galileo not to use because "You can prove anything with them"?
2. Why does Andrea leave the room when Galileo was asking the men from the courts to look through the telescope?
3. How many years did Sarti work for Monsignor Filippo before working for Galileo?
4. What are the globes on the Ptolemaic system model made of?
5. According to Bellarmin, whose teachings have been found, by the Holy Office, to be "futile, foolish and heretical"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Curator angry with Galileo after Galileo received his raise from the University with the Curator's help?
2. Why does Ludovico call off the wedding to Virginia?
3. What does Andrea tell Galileo is one of the results of Galileo's recanting among the scientific community?
4. What is the significance of Galileo telling the Court Clerks of the "new way" to play chess?
5. Why does the Inquisitor find it funny that Virginia knew nothing of her father's studies?
6. Why does the Inquisitor tell Virginia that Galileo's new picture of the universe was harmful?
7. What does the Clerk mean when he tells Galileo "We can only afford moves like this"?
8. Why does the Curator refuse to give Galileo the raise that he requests for his work as a mathematician at the University?
9. Why does Galileo think that Cardinal Bellarmin gifted him a Cellini clock?
10. Cardinal Barberini quoted Ecclesiastes, the Preacher, when he first addressed Galileo at the party. What is Galileo's response to the Cardinal?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)