|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the bailiff?
(a) Signor Cambione.
(b) Signor Parente.
(c) Signor Franz.
(d) Signor Franco.
2. What does Sarti hand to Galileo while he was telling her about the new discoveries in science?
(a) A letter of recommendation.
(b) A bill from the bookstore.
(c) A bill from the milkman.
(d) A letter of interest in Galileo's work.
3. How old is Andrea in Scene I?
(a) 8 years old.
(b) 14 years old.
(c) 10 years old.
(d) 12 years old.
4. What does the "Very Old Cardinal" call Galileo because of Galileo's claims?
(a) An enemy of God.
(b) A thief of religion.
(c) The world's most knowledgable scientist.
(d) An enemy of the human race.
5. How old is Galileo's daughter, Virginia, in Scene II?
(a) 15 years old.
(b) 12 years old.
(c) 17 years old.
(d) 11 years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Cosimo and Andrea break during their fighting on the floor?
2. Where does Scene IV open?
3. What invention does Ludovico tell Galileo about that he has just seen in Holland?
4. What happens to Signor Giordano Bruno "because he was not a Venetian and also had no appointment here"?
5. What epicyclical orbit does Galileo draw on the blackboard when describing his discovery to the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the experiment with the iron needle and water prove?
2. Why does the Frontier Guard state "Nobody's going to show us openly things that he wants to hide"?
3. Why does the Inquisitor tell Virginia that Galileo's new picture of the universe was harmful?
4. What did the astronomer at the University tell Virginia about her horoscope?
5. What is happening at the opening of Scene I?
6. Why is Andrea's mother, Sarti, worried about Galileo teaching Andrea about the revolving of the Earth around the sun?
7. Why does the Monk take the geese from Virginia and examine them suspiciously?
8. Why is Galileo not worried about the Cardinal Inquisitor being in Florence?
9. Why does Galileo believe that naming the new stars by the name Medici would allow him some leeway on his studies?
10. What is the relevance of the song at Cardinal Bellarmin's party?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)