|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When discussing Galileo's findings regarding the movement of stars, who did the Philosopher think Signer Federzoni was?
(a) Galileo's son-in-law.
(b) Galileo's lens-grinder.
(c) Galileo's manservant.
(d) Galileo's student.
2. Where does Scene V open?
(b) Galileo's home.
(c) Hall of the Collegium Romanum in Rome.
(d) The marketplace in Florence.
3. According to Galileo, who were the ones that were "no longer moved by reason"?
(a) "The dead."
(b) "The disciples of religion."
(c) "The men who turned their backs on science."
(d) "The skeptics."
4. What happens to Signor Giordano Bruno "because he was not a Venetian and also had no appointment here"?
(a) He was hung.
(b) He was banished from the city.
(c) He was burned at the stake.
(d) He was imprisoned.
5. How many fixed stars does Galileo tell Sagredo were in the constellation of Orion?
(a) 150 fixed stars.
(b) 5,000 fixed stars.
(c) 700 fixed stars.
(d) 500 fixed stars.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bellarmin, whose responsibility is it to interpret the Bible?
2. On what date did the inquisition put the Copernican teachings on the index?
3. What does Galileo ask the men to trust when looking through the telescope at the stars?
4. Where does Virginia say she will be married?
5. What does the Curator say that Galileo had invented for the city, calling the invention "excellent"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the telescope do for Galileo by January of 1610?
2. Why does the Inquisitor have the conversation between Galileo and Cardinal Bellarmin transcribed?
3. What is happening at the opening of Scene I?
4. Why does the Inquisitor find it funny that Virginia knew nothing of her father's studies?
5. Why is the Curator angry with Galileo after Galileo received his raise from the University with the Curator's help?
6. Cardinal Barberini quoted Ecclesiastes, the Preacher, when he first addressed Galileo at the party. What is Galileo's response to the Cardinal?
7. Why is Sagredo afraid for Galileo concerning Galileo's move to Florence?
8. Why does Sagredo tell Galileo that he (Galileo) is contradicting all astronomical science from the last two thousand years?
9. Describe why the Ptolemaic system model is accepted by the majority of society as the truth for how the solar system exists.
10. What does Galileo do to explain the movement of the Earth around the sun to Andrea?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)