|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Galileo place the Ptolemaic system for Andrea to find?
(a) Behind the star charts.
(b) In the teapot.
(c) Under the table.
(d) In the broom closet.
2. How many stars does Galileo find revolved around Jupiter?
(a) 3 stars.
(b) 4 stars.
(c) 6 stars.
(d) 1 stars.
3. What year is it in the opening of the play?
4. What do the Duke and his Court attend after leaving Galileo's home?
(a) The Court Ball.
(b) An inquisition.
(c) A trial.
(d) A knighting.
5. Which Dane determines the track of a comet?
(b) Tycho Brahe.
(c) Cosimo Medici.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Virginia's Father Confessor?
2. What do the strips of paper on the Ptolemaic system model have written on them?
3. Where does Galileo tell Sagredo that the light from the moon comes from?
4. What is the name of the bailiff?
5. After finding out about Ludovico's interests, how much does Galileo say he is going to charge him for private tuition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Andrea's mother, Sarti, worried about Galileo teaching Andrea about the revolving of the Earth around the sun?
2. What does Virginia find out about her father's fame on the day of the party at Cardinal Bellarmin's?
3. Describe why the Ptolemaic system model is accepted by the majority of society as the truth for how the solar system exists.
4. Why did Galileo, as pointed out by Sagredo, teach the Ptolemaic model over the Copernican model given his belief in the Copernican model of the universe?
5. Why does Galileo say the sailing of ships across the sea creates "a great desire has arisen to fathom the causes of all thing[s]"?
6. What lie does Galileo tell the Senators about the telescope to secure his raise at the University?
7. Why does the Curator refuse to give Galileo the raise that he requests for his work as a mathematician at the University?
8. What does Galileo say fueled his desire to discover new philosophies?
9. Why does Sagredo tell Galileo that he (Galileo) is contradicting all astronomical science from the last two thousand years?
10. What does the telescope do for Galileo by January of 1610?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)