|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year is it in the opening of Scene V?
2. What is the monk play-acting? (in the opening of Scene V.)
(a) The he was Galileo.
(b) The he was looking at the sun through the telescope.
(c) The he was drunk.
(d) That the Earth was spinning too fast.
3. What sickness was the "Old Gentlemen" discussing as they climbed the stairs to see the telescope?
(b) Larsen Sydnrome.
(c) The plague.
4. What does the "Very Old Cardinal" call Galileo because of Galileo's claims?
(a) The world's most knowledgable scientist.
(b) A thief of religion.
(c) An enemy of God.
(d) An enemy of the human race.
5. Where does Scene V open?
(a) Hall of the Collegium Romanum in Rome.
(b) The marketplace in Florence.
(d) Galileo's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Galileo tell Sagredo the spots on stars were?
2. What does Ludovico tell Galileo were his interests?
3. What object does Andrea tell Galileo not to use because "You can prove anything with them"?
4. What does Galileo use to represent the Earth when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
5. What is the date of the opening of Scene III?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Inquisitor tell Virginia that Galileo's new picture of the universe was harmful?
2. Why does Galileo believe that he and Virgina need to move to Florence?
3. Why does Galileo refuse to let Virginia look through the telescope?
4. Why does Sagredo tell Galileo that he (Galileo) is contradicting all astronomical science from the last two thousand years?
5. Why is Andrea's mother, Sarti, worried about Galileo teaching Andrea about the revolving of the Earth around the sun?
6. Describe the Ptolemaic system model that Galileo shows to Andrea.
7. When Andrea questions Galileo about the Ptolemaic system model, what is Galileo's answer?
8. How does Galileo explain the illumination of the moon and earth to Sagredo?
9. What does the telescope do for Galileo by January of 1610?
10. What does Galileo do to explain the movement of the Earth around the sun to Andrea?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)