|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Galileo, what "grows feeble from being abused"?
2. Where does Scene V open?
(b) Hall of the Collegium Romanum in Rome.
(c) Galileo's home.
(d) The marketplace in Florence.
3. What sickness was the "Old Gentlemen" discussing as they climbed the stairs to see the telescope?
(a) Larsen Sydnrome.
(c) The plague.
4. What name does Galileo want to bestow on the new stars he found?
5. What does Galileo tell the Curator would "save millions of scudi in navigation"?
(a) New ships.
(b) The telescope.
(c) New star charts.
(d) New ocean maps.
Short Answer Questions
1. While at the ball, what chapter of the Bible do both Cardinal Bellarmin and Cardinal Barberini quote?
2. What does Galileo ask the men to trust when looking through the telescope at the stars?
3. On what date did the inquisition put the Copernican teachings on the index?
4. What invention does Ludovico tell Galileo about that he has just seen in Holland?
5. What year is it in the opening of Scene V?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relevance of the song at Cardinal Bellarmin's party?
2. What does the Clerk mean when he tells Galileo "We can only afford moves like this"?
3. Why does the Curator refuse to give Galileo the raise that he requests for his work as a mathematician at the University?
4. Why does Galileo refuse to let Virginia look through the telescope?
5. What does the telescope do for Galileo by January of 1610?
6. Why is Andrea's mother, Sarti, worried about Galileo teaching Andrea about the revolving of the Earth around the sun?
7. Why does Galileo say the sailing of ships across the sea creates "a great desire has arisen to fathom the causes of all thing[s]"?
8. Why does the Inquisitor tell Virginia that Galileo's new picture of the universe was harmful?
9. When Andrea questions Galileo about the Ptolemaic system model, what is Galileo's answer?
10. Cardinal Barberini quoted Ecclesiastes, the Preacher, when he first addressed Galileo at the party. What is Galileo's response to the Cardinal?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)