|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What invention does Ludovico tell Galileo about that he has just seen in Holland?
(a) "That funny tube."
(b) "The horn that hears."
(c) "The glass that sees."
(d) "That box that talks."
2. Who enters the room after the "Very Old Cardinal" collapses?
(b) The Duke of Florence.
3. How old is Galileo when he was arguing with the Curator about salary?
(a) 76 years old.
(b) 46 years old.
(c) 35 years old.
(d) 27 years old.
4. Where does Scene IV open?
(a) Galileo's home in Florence.
(b) The marketplace.
(c) Virginia's home.
(d) The University in Florence.
5. How many fixed stars does Galileo tell Sagredo were in the constellation of Orion?
(a) 5,000 fixed stars.
(b) 700 fixed stars.
(c) 500 fixed stars.
(d) 150 fixed stars.
Short Answer Questions
1. While at the ball, what chapter of the Bible do both Cardinal Bellarmin and Cardinal Barberini quote?
2. What sickness was the "Old Gentlemen" discussing as they climbed the stairs to see the telescope?
3. In what city does Galileo teach mathematics in the opening of the play?
4. What epicyclical orbit does Galileo draw on the blackboard when describing his discovery to the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
5. Where did Ludovico Marsili's letter say he has studied?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relevance of the song at Cardinal Bellarmin's party?
2. Why does the Inquisitor find it funny that Virginia knew nothing of her father's studies?
3. When Andrea questions Galileo about the Ptolemaic system model, what is Galileo's answer?
4. What is happening at the opening of Scene I?
5. Describe the Ptolemaic system model that Galileo shows to Andrea.
6. What does the telescope do for Galileo by January of 1610?
7. What does Virginia find out about her father's fame on the day of the party at Cardinal Bellarmin's?
8. Why does the Inquisitor tell Virginia that Galileo's new picture of the universe was harmful?
9. What does Galileo do to explain the movement of the Earth around the sun to Andrea?
10. Cardinal Barberini quoted Ecclesiastes, the Preacher, when he first addressed Galileo at the party. What is Galileo's response to the Cardinal?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)