|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Galileo, when informed upon the Holy Office's findings, who accepted Galileo's observations?
(a) The University of Florence.
(b) Cardinal Bellarmin.
(c) The Pope.
(d) The astronomers of the Collegium Romanum.
2. What bell rings as Virginia entered her father's room? (Scene III)
(a) A noon bell.
(b) A bell for early Mass.
(c) An evening bell.
(d) A bell signaling lunch.
3. Where did Ludovico Marsili's letter say he has studied?
4. What does Galileo tell the Curator would "save millions of scudi in navigation"?
(a) New ocean maps.
(b) New star charts.
(c) New ships.
(d) The telescope.
5. What invention does Ludovico tell Galileo about that he has just seen in Holland?
(a) "The glass that sees."
(b) "The horn that hears."
(c) "That funny tube."
(d) "That box that talks."
Short Answer Questions
1. What epicyclical orbit does Galileo draw on the blackboard when describing his discovery to the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
2. What does Galileo ask the men to trust when looking through the telescope at the stars?
3. According to Galileo, who were the ones that were "no longer moved by reason"?
4. What does Galileo use to represent the sun when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
5. Who does the Philosopher say is "Italy's and the Church's greatest astronomer"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Galileo do to explain the movement of the Earth around the sun to Andrea?
2. What does Virginia find out about her father's fame on the day of the party at Cardinal Bellarmin's?
3. What does the Clerk mean when he tells Galileo "We can only afford moves like this"?
4. Why does Ludovico seem upset with Galileo at the end of Scene II?
5. Why does Galileo believe that naming the new stars by the name Medici would allow him some leeway on his studies?
6. Why does Sagredo tell Galileo that he (Galileo) is contradicting all astronomical science from the last two thousand years?
7. Why is Andrea's mother, Sarti, worried about Galileo teaching Andrea about the revolving of the Earth around the sun?
8. Why does Galileo believe that he and Virgina need to move to Florence?
9. How does Galileo explain the illumination of the moon and earth to Sagredo?
10. Cardinal Barberini quoted Ecclesiastes, the Preacher, when he first addressed Galileo at the party. What is Galileo's response to the Cardinal?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)