|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the "Little Monk," how many nights passed since he had been able to sleep?
(a) 3 nights.
(b) 6 n ights.
(c) 5 nights.
(d) 7 nights.
2. What does Galileo call a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie?
(a) A criminal.
(b) A liar.
(c) A prophet.
(d) A fraud.
3. After the bell rang, who reads Galileo's recant on the street?
(a) The Pope.
(d) The crier.
4. What kind of clock is Galileo presented with as a gift from Cardinal Bellarmin?
(a) Lantern clock.
(b) Atmos clock.
(c) Cellini clock.
(d) Parliament clock.
5. What does Galileo use to make the iron needle float on the surface of water without sinking?
(b) A piece of wax.
(c) A string.
(d) A piece of paper.
6. Where does Scene VII open?
(a) In the Hall of Inquisition.
(b) Galileo's home.
(c) In the Palace of the Florentine Ambassador in Rome.
(d) A monastery.
7. What astrological sign does Ludovico align with?
8. Who, from Amsterdam, wanted Andrea to ask about Galileo's health?
9. What does Federzoni think has begun, "the hour of its birth," when the bell does not ring at the time the inquisitors thought it would?
(a) The age of open-minds.
(b) The age of science.
(c) The age of Galileo.
(d) The age of reason.
10. At the opening of Scene IX, who is Galileo and Virginia waiting to be admitted by?
(a) The Pope.
(b) The Grand Duke.
11. Where did Scene X open?
(a) The Florentine Court.
(b) The court of the Holy Inquisition.
(c) An apartment in the Vatican.
(d) Andrea's home.
12. Where had the "Little Monk" grown up?
13. What, according to Andrea, do the people of Paris and Prague believe sunspots were?
(a) Surface winds.
(c) Vapors from the sun.
(d) Swarms of stars.
14. What does the Grand Duke want from Galileo when he and Virginia wait to be recognized?
(a) A model.
(b) A book.
(c) A pamphlet.
(d) A manuscript.
15. According the opening of Scene XII, where is Galileo living?
(a) In Venice.
(b) In Virginia's home under lock and key.
(c) In a jail cell.
(d) In a country house near Florence.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Galileo, what gives the "Little Monk" the right to say whatever he wishes?
2. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that he will not have destroyed?
3. Where does Galileo hide a copy of his Discorsi?
4. What type of language does the Inquisitor say that Galileo writes in?
5. What philosopher does Galileo and Andrea study in regard to objects floating?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)