|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Galileo is in with the inquisition, what is Virginia doing?
2. Who does Galileo tell Virginia that he was afraid of?
(a) Rector Gaffone.
(b) The Inquisitor.
(d) The Pope.
3. Where does Andrea say he is going to go when he leaves Italy to "take up scientific work"?
4. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that Galileo could not say "no" to?
(a) "To an old friend or a new invention."
(b) "To an old idea and a new vision."
(c) "To an old wine or a new idea."
(d) "To an old friend and a new friend."
5. At the opening of Scene IX, who is Galileo and Virginia waiting to be admitted by?
(a) The Pope.
(b) The Grand Duke.
6. What does the Inquisitor want to keep while "damning" Galileo's writings?
(a) The telescope.
(b) Star charts.
(c) The ocean charts.
(d) The scientific mind.
7. What kind of clock is Galileo presented with as a gift from Cardinal Bellarmin?
(a) Parliament clock.
(b) Lantern clock.
(c) Atmos clock.
(d) Cellini clock.
8. Who does Galileo say are his "favorite readings"?
(a) Aristotle and Plato.
(b) Socrates and Homer.
(c) The Bible and Homer.
(d) The Bible and Socrates.
9. According to the person from the Grand Duke's Palace, what bell will ring when Galileo recants his teachings?
(a) The great bell of St. John.
(b) The great bell of St. Mercy.
(c) The great bell of St. Mark's.
(d) The great bell of St. Michael.
10. What does Galileo tell Vanni that he values after Vanni suggests that Galileo "take up flight"?
11. While waiting for Galileo's inquisition to finish, what does Andrea say he fears would never be completed?
(a) The Discorsi.
(b) The Star Charts.
(c) The Oceanic Maps.
(d) The Galileo Model.
12. While waiting to hear news of the inquisition, what are the "Little Monk" and Federzoni doing?
(a) Playing chess.
(b) Making models of the solar system.
(c) Sinking iron needles in water.
(d) Watching ice float.
13. What manuscripts does Galileo give to the "Little Monk"?
(a) Papers on the sun being the center of the universe.
(b) Papers on the inquiry of time.
(c) Papers on why the ocean moves in ebb and flood.
(d) Papers on evolution.
14. Why does Andrea say that Galileo could not have stayed in the Republic?
(a) Because he could not publish his book there.
(b) Because he could not study the ocean there.
(c) Because he could not write his book there.
(d) Because he could not study the stars there.
15. What does Signor Gaffone give to Virginia, "in mint condition," to give to her father?
(a) A book.
(b) A manuscript.
(c) A letter of intent.
(d) A copyright for the telescope.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pages from Galileo's book do the Monks have?
2. What does Galileo use to make the iron needle float on the surface of water without sinking?
3. What does Galileo claim is ruining Virginia's complexion?
4. What is Virginia sewing at the opening of Scene VIII?
5. Where does Scene VIII open?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)