|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what day, did the opening of Scene XII, say that Galileo would be a prisoner of the Church?
(a) For 30 years.
(b) For 100 years.
(c) Until he died.
(d) For 50 years.
2. What does Galileo use to make the iron needle float on the surface of water without sinking?
(a) A piece of wax.
(b) A string.
(d) A piece of paper.
3. According the opening of Scene XII, where is Galileo living?
(a) In Venice.
(b) In Virginia's home under lock and key.
(c) In a jail cell.
(d) In a country house near Florence.
4. Who does Galileo tell Virginia invited him to Padua?
(a) Rector Gaffone.
5. At the opening of Scene IX, who is Galileo and Virginia waiting to be admitted by?
(b) The Pope.
(d) The Grand Duke.
6. Where does Andrea say he is going to go when he leaves Italy to "take up scientific work"?
7. What is the only thing that the people from the "Little Monk's" village knew about?
8. What does the Inquisitor want to keep while "damning" Galileo's writings?
(a) Star charts.
(b) The ocean charts.
(c) The telescope.
(d) The scientific mind.
9. What happens to Virginia at the end of Scene VIII?
(a) She ran after Ludovico.
(b) She fell down the stairs.
(c) She faints.
(d) She hit her father.
10. At the end of Scene Seven, the "Little Monk" told Galileo that he cannot understand what?
(a) A model.
(b) A sentence.
(c) A drawing.
(d) A word.
11. According to the person from the Grand Duke's Palace, what bell will ring when Galileo recants his teachings?
(a) The great bell of St. Mark's.
(b) The great bell of St. John.
(c) The great bell of St. Michael.
(d) The great bell of St. Mercy.
12. To where does the "High Official" tell Galileo that he has to go to face the Holy Inquisition?
13. Where does Scene VII open?
(a) A monastery.
(b) In the Hall of Inquisition.
(c) In the Palace of the Florentine Ambassador in Rome.
(d) Galileo's home.
14. What does Federzoni think has begun, "the hour of its birth," when the bell does not ring at the time the inquisitors thought it would?
(a) The age of Galileo.
(b) The age of science.
(c) The age of open-minds.
(d) The age of reason.
15. What astrological sign does Virgina align with?
(c) The Twins.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the monk say that he has to have permission from before Galileo can see an eye doctor?
2. What astrological sign does Ludovico align with?
3. What kind of clock is Galileo presented with as a gift from Cardinal Bellarmin?
4. Why does Vanni say Galileo would be better off in Venice?
5. What does Galileo claim the he knows the difference between when Vanni tells him he is "unable to distinguish your friends from your enemies"?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)