|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What manuscripts does Galileo give to the "Little Monk"?
(a) Papers on evolution.
(b) Papers on why the ocean moves in ebb and flood.
(c) Papers on the sun being the center of the universe.
(d) Papers on the inquiry of time.
2. What does the "Little Monk" tell Andrea about that Galileo always carries in his pocket?
(a) His touchstone.
(b) A picture of Virginia.
(c) A drawing of his telescope.
(d) A lock of Virginia's hair.
3. What does the new Pope, at the opening of Scene VIII, want Galileo to study?
(a) The stars.
(b) The moon.
(d) The Earth's rotation.
4. While waiting to hear news of the inquisition, what are the "Little Monk" and Federzoni doing?
(a) Playing chess.
(b) Sinking iron needles in water.
(c) Making models of the solar system.
(d) Watching ice float.
5. Why does Vanni say Galileo would be better off in Venice?
(a) "Fewer black coats."
(b) "More people to support him."
(c) "More scientists with open minds."
(d) "Fewer skeptics."
6. Where had the "Little Monk" grown up?
7. After the bell rang, who reads Galileo's recant on the street?
(a) The crier.
(d) The Pope.
8. Who did Galileo design a smelting-plant for?
(a) Rector Gaffone.
(b) Signor Vanni.
9. At the end of Scene IX, what awaits Galileo?
(a) His Highness, the Grand Duke.
(b) The Florentine Court.
(c) The coach of the Holy Inquisition.
10. While waiting for Galileo's inquisition to finish, what does Andrea say he fears would never be completed?
(a) The Galileo Model.
(b) The Star Charts.
(c) The Discorsi.
(d) The Oceanic Maps.
11. According the opening of Scene XII, where is Galileo living?
(a) In Virginia's home under lock and key.
(b) In a jail cell.
(c) In a country house near Florence.
(d) In Venice.
12. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that he will not have destroyed?
(a) Copernicus' writings.
(b) Mathematical cables.
(c) Aristotle's writings.
(d) Galileo's writings.
13. What does Signor Gaffone give to Virginia, "in mint condition," to give to her father?
(a) A copyright for the telescope.
(b) A manuscript.
(c) A book.
(d) A letter of intent.
14. At the opening of Scene IX, who is Galileo and Virginia waiting to be admitted by?
(a) The Grand Duke.
(c) The Pope.
15. What does Galileo use to make the iron needle float on the surface of water without sinking?
(a) A piece of paper.
(c) A piece of wax.
(d) A string.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims that Galileo would damn him if he (Galileo) would not see him?
2. According to the "Little Monk," how many nights passed since he had been able to sleep?
3. What does Federzoni think has begun, "the hour of its birth," when the bell does not ring at the time the inquisitors thought it would?
4. What does the Grand Duke want from Galileo when he and Virginia wait to be recognized?
5. What astrological sign does Virgina align with?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)