|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What astrological sign does Ludovico align with?
2. What does the Grand Duke want from Galileo when he and Virginia wait to be recognized?
(a) A model.
(b) A book.
(c) A pamphlet.
(d) A manuscript.
3. What is Virginia sewing at the opening of Scene VIII?
(a) A dress.
(b) A trousseau.
(c) A suit.
(d) Linen napkins.
4. What does Galileo call a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie?
(a) A liar.
(b) A fraud.
(c) A prophet.
(d) A criminal.
5. At the end of Scene IX, what awaits Galileo?
(a) The coach of the Holy Inquisition.
(b) The Florentine Court.
(d) His Highness, the Grand Duke.
6. What is the date at the opening of Scene XI?
(a) January 11, 1622.
(b) December 14, 1638.
(c) March 17, 1644.
(d) June 22, 1633.
7. What year is it at the opening of Scene IX?
8. Why does Andrea say that Galileo could not have stayed in the Republic?
(a) Because he could not write his book there.
(b) Because he could not study the stars there.
(c) Because he could not publish his book there.
(d) Because he could not study the ocean there.
9. Why does Vanni say Galileo would be better off in Venice?
(a) "Fewer black coats."
(b) "Fewer skeptics."
(c) "More people to support him."
(d) "More scientists with open minds."
10. According to Galileo, what gives the "Little Monk" the right to say whatever he wishes?
(a) The church.
(b) His habit.
(c) The Pope.
(d) Hie rank.
11. Who claims that Galileo would damn him if he (Galileo) would not see him?
(c) The "Little Monk."
12. What does the new Pope, at the opening of Scene VIII, want Galileo to study?
(a) The Earth's rotation.
(b) The stars.
(c) The moon.
13. While speaking with the "Little Monk" about his family's life, what animal does Galileo talk about ?
(a) A crab.
(b) A scallop.
(c) A oyster.
(d) A sea urchin.
14. While Galileo is in with the inquisition, what is Virginia doing?
15. What type of language does the Inquisitor say that Galileo writes in?
(a) "The language of mathematicians."
(b) "The language of the fishwives and wool merchants."
(c) "The language of scholars."
(d) "The language of the Church, Ecclesiastical Latin."
Short Answer Questions
1. While waiting to hear news of the inquisition, what are the "Little Monk" and Federzoni doing?
2. At the end of Scene X, what has the Pope finished doing?
3. How many months of pay does the Court owe Galileo? (in Scene Nine)
4. According to Vanni, how many books on agriculture were published, within the last year, in London?
5. Who does the Inquisitor say is an expert on instruments?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)