|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Scene VII open?
(a) In the Hall of Inquisition.
(b) In the Palace of the Florentine Ambassador in Rome.
(c) Galileo's home.
(d) A monastery.
2. What, according to Andrea, do the people of Paris and Prague believe sunspots were?
(a) Swarms of stars.
(b) Vapors from the sun.
(d) Surface winds.
3. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that he will not have destroyed?
(a) Galileo's writings.
(b) Mathematical cables.
(c) Copernicus' writings.
(d) Aristotle's writings.
4. What author has Galileo begun to read again? (Revealed by Galileo to the "Little Monk" during their conversation in Scene VII.)
5. What time do the people of the inquisition believe that Galileo would recant?
6. What is the date at the opening of Scene XI?
(a) March 17, 1644.
(b) January 11, 1622.
(c) June 22, 1633.
(d) December 14, 1638.
7. What year is it at the opening of Scene IX?
8. What manuscripts does Galileo give to the "Little Monk"?
(a) Papers on why the ocean moves in ebb and flood.
(b) Papers on evolution.
(c) Papers on the inquiry of time.
(d) Papers on the sun being the center of the universe.
9. While speaking with the "Little Monk" about his family's life, what animal does Galileo talk about ?
(a) A sea urchin.
(b) A crab.
(c) A oyster.
(d) A scallop.
10. To where does the "High Official" tell Galileo that he has to go to face the Holy Inquisition?
11. Where does Andrea say he is going to go when he leaves Italy to "take up scientific work"?
12. What does Galileo use to make the iron needle float on the surface of water without sinking?
(a) A string.
(b) A piece of wax.
(d) A piece of paper.
13. After the bell rang, who reads Galileo's recant on the street?
(a) The crier.
(d) The Pope.
14. What gift is sent to Galileo by "someone passing through"? (Scene XII)
(a) Two ducks.
(b) Two geese.
(c) Two turkeys.
(d) Two rabbits.
15. Where had the "Little Monk" grown up?
Short Answer Questions
1. What astrological sign does Virgina align with?
2. What does Galileo call a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie?
3. What does Galileo tell Vanni that he values after Vanni suggests that Galileo "take up flight"?
4. What astrological sign does Ludovico align with?
5. What does Federzoni think has begun, "the hour of its birth," when the bell does not ring at the time the inquisitors thought it would?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)