|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only thing that the people from the "Little Monk's" village knew about?
2. At the end of Scene X, what has the Pope finished doing?
(a) Signing the inquisition.
(c) Getting dressed.
(d) Reading Galileo's manuscript.
3. According to the person from the Grand Duke's Palace, what bell will ring when Galileo recants his teachings?
(a) The great bell of St. Mark's.
(b) The great bell of St. Michael.
(c) The great bell of St. Mercy.
(d) The great bell of St. John.
4. What manuscripts does Galileo give to the "Little Monk"?
(a) Papers on why the ocean moves in ebb and flood.
(b) Papers on evolution.
(c) Papers on the inquiry of time.
(d) Papers on the sun being the center of the universe.
5. Where does Scene VIII open?
(a) The new Pope's chambers.
(b) Galileo's house in Florence.
(c) Galileo's house in Rome.
(d) The Vatican.
6. What are the dates that Scene XII took place?
7. While waiting for Galileo's inquisition to finish, what does Andrea say he fears would never be completed?
(a) The Star Charts.
(b) The Galileo Model.
(c) The Oceanic Maps.
(d) The Discorsi.
8. Where did Scene X open?
(a) An apartment in the Vatican.
(b) The court of the Holy Inquisition.
(c) Andrea's home.
(d) The Florentine Court.
9. What astrological sign does Ludovico align with?
10. Where does Scene VII open?
(a) In the Hall of Inquisition.
(b) A monastery.
(c) In the Palace of the Florentine Ambassador in Rome.
(d) Galileo's home.
11. What philosopher does Galileo and Andrea study in regard to objects floating?
12. Where does Andrea say he is going to go when he leaves Italy to "take up scientific work"?
13. What astrological sign does Virgina align with?
(a) The Twins.
14. What does Galileo claim the he knows the difference between when Vanni tells him he is "unable to distinguish your friends from your enemies"?
(a) Imagination and reality.
(b) Science and religion.
(c) Wealth and poverty.
(d) Power and impotence.
15. Who, from Amsterdam, wanted Andrea to ask about Galileo's health?
Short Answer Questions
1. After the bell rang, who reads Galileo's recant on the street?
2. Why does Andrea say that Galileo could not have stayed in the Republic?
3. While speaking with the "Little Monk" about his family's life, what animal does Galileo talk about ?
4. When the "Little Monk" spent time with Galileo, while Galileo was in prison, to whom does Galileo compare his work?
5. What does the Inquisitor want to keep while "damning" Galileo's writings?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)