Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, according to Andrea, do the people of Paris and Prague believe sunspots were?
(a) Surface winds.
(b) Vapors from the sun.
(c) Swarms of stars.
2. According to Vanni, how many books on agriculture were published, within the last year, in London?
(a) 2 books.
(b) 8 books.
(c) 5 books.
(d) 14 books.
3. What does Federzoni think has begun, "the hour of its birth," when the bell does not ring at the time the inquisitors thought it would?
(a) The age of open-minds.
(b) The age of science.
(c) The age of Galileo.
(d) The age of reason.
4. At the opening of Scene IX, who is Galileo and Virginia waiting to be admitted by?
(b) The Grand Duke.
(d) The Pope.
5. What does the "Little Monk" tell Andrea about that Galileo always carries in his pocket?
(a) His touchstone.
(b) A lock of Virginia's hair.
(c) A picture of Virginia.
(d) A drawing of his telescope.
6. Who, from Amsterdam, wanted Andrea to ask about Galileo's health?
7. What time do the people of the inquisition believe that Galileo would recant?
8. Why does Sarti tell Virginia to go to the University to see an astronomer?
(a) To prove her father's teachings false.
(b) To cast her horoscope.
(c) To seek a better husband.
(d) To prove her father's teachings true.
9. What are the dates that Scene XII took place?
10. After the bell rang, who reads Galileo's recant on the street?
(a) The Pope.
(b) The crier.
11. Who does the Inquisitor say is an expert on instruments?
(a) Rector Gaffone.
(b) Signor Galilei.
(c) Signor Vanni.
(d) Cardinal Barberini.
12. At the end of Scene X, what has the Pope finished doing?
(b) Getting dressed.
(c) Signing the inquisition.
(d) Reading Galileo's manuscript.
13. Who does Galileo tell Virginia invited him to Padua?
(c) Rector Gaffone.
14. Who claims that Galileo would damn him if he (Galileo) would not see him?
(b) The "Little Monk."
15. According to Galileo, what gives the "Little Monk" the right to say whatever he wishes?
(a) The church.
(b) His habit.
(c) The Pope.
(d) Hie rank.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Galileo call a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie?
2. What happens to Virginia at the end of Scene VIII?
3. Why does Vanni say Galileo would be better off in Venice?
4. How old is Virginia in Scene XII?
5. According to the "Little Monk," how many nights passed since he had been able to sleep?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)