|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Scene X open?
(a) The Florentine Court.
(b) Andrea's home.
(c) The court of the Holy Inquisition.
(d) An apartment in the Vatican.
2. How many months of pay does the Court owe Galileo? (in Scene Nine)
(a) 3 months pay.
(b) 6 months pay.
(c) 2 months pay.
(d) 12 months pay.
3. Why does Vanni say Galileo would be better off in Venice?
(a) "More people to support him."
(b) "Fewer black coats."
(c) "More scientists with open minds."
(d) "Fewer skeptics."
4. What type of language does the Inquisitor say that Galileo writes in?
(a) "The language of the fishwives and wool merchants."
(b) "The language of scholars."
(c) "The language of the Church, Ecclesiastical Latin."
(d) "The language of mathematicians."
5. At the end of Scene IX, what awaits Galileo?
(a) His Highness, the Grand Duke.
(b) The coach of the Holy Inquisition.
(d) The Florentine Court.
6. Where does Andrea say he is going to go when he leaves Italy to "take up scientific work"?
7. To where does the "High Official" tell Galileo that he has to go to face the Holy Inquisition?
8. After the bell rang, who reads Galileo's recant on the street?
(b) The Pope.
(d) The crier.
9. What does Federzoni say he would rather do if Galileo recanted his teachings?
(a) Give up science.
(b) Stay in Rome.
(c) Not live.
(d) Recant his own beliefs.
10. What does Galileo tell Vanni that he values after Vanni suggests that Galileo "take up flight"?
11. What is the only thing that the people from the "Little Monk's" village knew about?
12. What does Galileo claim is ruining Virginia's complexion?
(a) Worrying about her father.
(b) Finding a new husband.
(c) Going to early Mass.
(d) Worrying about Ludovico.
13. Why does Andrea say that Galileo could not have stayed in the Republic?
(a) Because he could not study the ocean there.
(b) Because he could not study the stars there.
(c) Because he could not publish his book there.
(d) Because he could not write his book there.
14. According the opening of Scene XII, where is Galileo living?
(a) In a jail cell.
(b) In Virginia's home under lock and key.
(c) In Venice.
(d) In a country house near Florence.
15. Who does Galileo say are his "favorite readings"?
(a) Socrates and Homer.
(b) The Bible and Socrates.
(c) Aristotle and Plato.
(d) The Bible and Homer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the "Little Monk" tell Andrea about that Galileo always carries in his pocket?
2. According to the person from the Grand Duke's Palace, what bell will ring when Galileo recants his teachings?
3. While waiting to hear news of the inquisition, what are the "Little Monk" and Federzoni doing?
4. Who was Pope Urban VII, prior to receiving his papal name?
5. According to Galileo, what gives the "Little Monk" the right to say whatever he wishes?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)