|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Scene VIII open?
(a) Galileo's house in Rome.
(b) The new Pope's chambers.
(c) The Vatican.
(d) Galileo's house in Florence.
2. What, according to Andrea, do the people of Paris and Prague believe sunspots were?
(b) Surface winds.
(c) Swarms of stars.
(d) Vapors from the sun.
3. Why does Andrea say that Galileo could not have stayed in the Republic?
(a) Because he could not write his book there.
(b) Because he could not publish his book there.
(c) Because he could not study the ocean there.
(d) Because he could not study the stars there.
4. What happens to Virginia at the end of Scene VIII?
(a) She hit her father.
(b) She faints.
(c) She fell down the stairs.
(d) She ran after Ludovico.
5. Who claims that Galileo would damn him if he (Galileo) would not see him?
(b) The "Little Monk."
6. According to Galileo, what gives the "Little Monk" the right to say whatever he wishes?
(a) The church.
(b) The Pope.
(c) Hie rank.
(d) His habit.
7. Who does Galileo say are his "favorite readings"?
(a) The Bible and Socrates.
(b) The Bible and Homer.
(c) Aristotle and Plato.
(d) Socrates and Homer.
8. What is Virginia sewing at the opening of Scene VIII?
(a) A dress.
(b) Linen napkins.
(c) A trousseau.
(d) A suit.
9. When the "Little Monk" spent time with Galileo, while Galileo was in prison, to whom does Galileo compare his work?
(b) The Mayans.
10. At the end of Scene Seven, the "Little Monk" told Galileo that he cannot understand what?
(a) A model.
(b) A sentence.
(c) A drawing.
(d) A word.
11. Who does Galileo tell Virginia that he was afraid of?
(a) Rector Gaffone.
(b) The Pope.
(c) The Inquisitor.
12. Where did Scene X open?
(a) The court of the Holy Inquisition.
(b) The Florentine Court.
(c) Andrea's home.
(d) An apartment in the Vatican.
13. To what day, did the opening of Scene XII, say that Galileo would be a prisoner of the Church?
(a) For 50 years.
(b) For 100 years.
(c) For 30 years.
(d) Until he died.
14. Whose palace is the beginning of Scene IX set at?
15. What year is it at the opening of Scene IX?
Short Answer Questions
1. To where does the "High Official" tell Galileo that he has to go to face the Holy Inquisition?
2. Where does Galileo hide a copy of his Discorsi?
3. What does the Inquisitor want to keep while "damning" Galileo's writings?
4. Where did Scene XI take place?
5. What does Galileo call a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)