|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the date at the opening of Scene XI?
(a) June 22, 1633.
(b) January 11, 1622.
(c) December 14, 1638.
(d) March 17, 1644.
2. What is Virginia sewing at the opening of Scene VIII?
(a) A dress.
(b) Linen napkins.
(c) A trousseau.
(d) A suit.
3. What does the Grand Duke want from Galileo when he and Virginia wait to be recognized?
(a) A manuscript.
(b) A pamphlet.
(c) A book.
(d) A model.
4. Who was Pope Urban VII, prior to receiving his papal name?
(a) The "Old Cardinal."
(c) Cardinal Bellarmin.
(d) Cardinal Barberini.
5. What does Galileo claim the he knows the difference between when Vanni tells him he is "unable to distinguish your friends from your enemies"?
(a) Imagination and reality.
(b) Wealth and poverty.
(c) Power and impotence.
(d) Science and religion.
6. What is the only thing that the people from the "Little Monk's" village knew about?
7. Why does Andrea say that Galileo could not have stayed in the Republic?
(a) Because he could not publish his book there.
(b) Because he could not write his book there.
(c) Because he could not study the ocean there.
(d) Because he could not study the stars there.
8. Who does Galileo tell Virginia invited him to Padua?
(b) Rector Gaffone.
9. Whose palace is the beginning of Scene IX set at?
10. According to Galileo, what gives the "Little Monk" the right to say whatever he wishes?
(a) The church.
(b) The Pope.
(c) Hie rank.
(d) His habit.
11. How many months of pay does the Court owe Galileo? (in Scene Nine)
(a) 3 months pay.
(b) 6 months pay.
(c) 2 months pay.
(d) 12 months pay.
12. What, according to Andrea, do the people of Paris and Prague believe sunspots were?
(a) Swarms of stars.
(c) Surface winds.
(d) Vapors from the sun.
13. What does the "Little Monk" tell Andrea about that Galileo always carries in his pocket?
(a) A picture of Virginia.
(b) A lock of Virginia's hair.
(c) His touchstone.
(d) A drawing of his telescope.
14. To what day, did the opening of Scene XII, say that Galileo would be a prisoner of the Church?
(a) For 50 years.
(b) For 100 years.
(c) For 30 years.
(d) Until he died.
15. At the end of Scene IX, what awaits Galileo?
(a) The coach of the Holy Inquisition.
(c) His Highness, the Grand Duke.
(d) The Florentine Court.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims that Galileo would damn him if he (Galileo) would not see him?
2. While waiting for Galileo's inquisition to finish, what does Andrea say he fears would never be completed?
3. What are the dates that Scene XII took place?
4. After the bell rang, who reads Galileo's recant on the street?
5. What manuscripts does Galileo give to the "Little Monk"?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)