|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Galileo tell Vanni that he values after Vanni suggests that Galileo "take up flight"?
2. Where did Scene X open?
(a) The court of the Holy Inquisition.
(b) Andrea's home.
(c) The Florentine Court.
(d) An apartment in the Vatican.
3. Who does the Inquisitor say is an expert on instruments?
(a) Signor Galilei.
(b) Rector Gaffone.
(c) Signor Vanni.
(d) Cardinal Barberini.
4. What type of language does the Inquisitor say that Galileo writes in?
(a) "The language of mathematicians."
(b) "The language of the Church, Ecclesiastical Latin."
(c) "The language of scholars."
(d) "The language of the fishwives and wool merchants."
5. To what day, did the opening of Scene XII, say that Galileo would be a prisoner of the Church?
(a) For 30 years.
(b) For 100 years.
(c) Until he died.
(d) For 50 years.
6. Where does Galileo hide a copy of his Discorsi?
(a) The globe.
(b) Behind his star charts.
(c) A false bottom in his desk.
(d) In his bed.
7. What astrological sign does Ludovico align with?
8. According to Galileo, what gives the "Little Monk" the right to say whatever he wishes?
(a) His habit.
(b) Hie rank.
(c) The Pope.
(d) The church.
9. What does Federzoni say he would rather do if Galileo recanted his teachings?
(a) Not live.
(b) Give up science.
(c) Stay in Rome.
(d) Recant his own beliefs.
10. What philosopher does Galileo and Andrea study in regard to objects floating?
11. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that Galileo could not say "no" to?
(a) "To an old friend or a new invention."
(b) "To an old wine or a new idea."
(c) "To an old friend and a new friend."
(d) "To an old idea and a new vision."
12. What does the Inquisitor want to keep while "damning" Galileo's writings?
(a) The scientific mind.
(b) The ocean charts.
(c) The telescope.
(d) Star charts.
13. Who was Pope Urban VII, prior to receiving his papal name?
(a) Cardinal Barberini.
(c) The "Old Cardinal."
(d) Cardinal Bellarmin.
14. What are the dates that Scene XII took place?
15. What astrological sign does Virgina align with?
(b) The Twins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift is sent to Galileo by "someone passing through"? (Scene XII)
2. While waiting to hear news of the inquisition, what are the "Little Monk" and Federzoni doing?
3. Why does Vanni say Galileo would be better off in Venice?
4. Who, from Amsterdam, wanted Andrea to ask about Galileo's health?
5. What does the "Little Monk" tell Andrea about that Galileo always carries in his pocket?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)