|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What astrological sign does Ludovico align with?
2. Where had the "Little Monk" grown up?
3. While Galileo is in with the inquisition, what is Virginia doing?
4. According the opening of Scene XII, where is Galileo living?
(a) In Virginia's home under lock and key.
(b) In a country house near Florence.
(c) In a jail cell.
(d) In Venice.
5. Who, from Amsterdam, wanted Andrea to ask about Galileo's health?
6. What year is it at the opening of Scene IX?
7. Whose palace is the beginning of Scene IX set at?
8. How old is Virginia in Scene XII?
(a) About 55.
(b) About 60.
(c) About 75.
(d) About 40.
9. Who does Galileo tell Virginia that he was afraid of?
(a) The Inquisitor.
(c) Rector Gaffone.
(d) The Pope.
10. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that he will not have destroyed?
(a) Galileo's writings.
(b) Copernicus' writings.
(c) Mathematical cables.
(d) Aristotle's writings.
11. Who did Galileo design a smelting-plant for?
(a) Signor Vanni.
(d) Rector Gaffone.
12. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that Galileo could not say "no" to?
(a) "To an old wine or a new idea."
(b) "To an old idea and a new vision."
(c) "To an old friend or a new invention."
(d) "To an old friend and a new friend."
13. To what day, did the opening of Scene XII, say that Galileo would be a prisoner of the Church?
(a) For 100 years.
(b) For 50 years.
(c) Until he died.
(d) For 30 years.
14. What does the Grand Duke want from Galileo when he and Virginia wait to be recognized?
(a) A book.
(b) A pamphlet.
(c) A model.
(d) A manuscript.
15. What time do the people of the inquisition believe that Galileo would recant?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the "Little Monk," how many nights passed since he had been able to sleep?
2. At the opening of Scene IX, who is Galileo and Virginia waiting to be admitted by?
3. What does the Inquisitor want to keep while "damning" Galileo's writings?
4. What does the new Pope, at the opening of Scene VIII, want Galileo to study?
5. Who does Galileo tell Virginia invited him to Padua?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)