|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While waiting to hear news of the inquisition, what are the "Little Monk" and Federzoni doing?
(a) Making models of the solar system.
(b) Playing chess.
(c) Watching ice float.
(d) Sinking iron needles in water.
2. What author has Galileo begun to read again? (Revealed by Galileo to the "Little Monk" during their conversation in Scene VII.)
3. At the end of Scene Seven, the "Little Monk" told Galileo that he cannot understand what?
(a) A sentence.
(b) A word.
(c) A drawing.
(d) A model.
4. Where does Andrea say he is going to go when he leaves Italy to "take up scientific work"?
5. Who was Pope Urban VII, prior to receiving his papal name?
(a) Cardinal Bellarmin.
(c) The "Old Cardinal."
(d) Cardinal Barberini.
6. While waiting for Galileo's inquisition to finish, what does Andrea say he fears would never be completed?
(a) The Galileo Model.
(b) The Discorsi.
(c) The Star Charts.
(d) The Oceanic Maps.
7. What astrological sign does Ludovico align with?
8. What does the Inquisitor want to keep while "damning" Galileo's writings?
(a) The scientific mind.
(b) Star charts.
(c) The telescope.
(d) The ocean charts.
9. What is the only thing that the people from the "Little Monk's" village knew about?
10. How old is Virginia in Scene XII?
(a) About 55.
(b) About 60.
(c) About 75.
(d) About 40.
11. What are the dates that Scene XII took place?
12. What manuscripts does Galileo give to the "Little Monk"?
(a) Papers on the sun being the center of the universe.
(b) Papers on the inquiry of time.
(c) Papers on why the ocean moves in ebb and flood.
(d) Papers on evolution.
13. Why does Sarti tell Virginia to go to the University to see an astronomer?
(a) To cast her horoscope.
(b) To seek a better husband.
(c) To prove her father's teachings false.
(d) To prove her father's teachings true.
14. What pages from Galileo's book do the Monks have?
(a) 116 and 117.
(b) 47 and 48.
(c) 131 and 132.
(d) 145 and 146.
15. While speaking with the "Little Monk" about his family's life, what animal does Galileo talk about ?
(a) A crab.
(b) A oyster.
(c) A scallop.
(d) A sea urchin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the date at the opening of Scene XI?
2. Who does the Inquisitor say is an expert on instruments?
3. What does Galileo call a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie?
4. Where did Scene X open?
5. What gift is sent to Galileo by "someone passing through"? (Scene XII)
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)