|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Galileo is in with the inquisition, what is Virginia doing?
2. Why does Galileo tell Andrea that they could not investigate sunspots?
(a) Because they "could not waste their time."
(b) Because they were "working on floating bodies."
(c) Because they were" not authorized by the Holy Court."
(d) Because they had "too much knowledge already."
3. Who did Galileo design a smelting-plant for?
(a) Signor Vanni.
(b) Rector Gaffone.
4. What is Virginia sewing at the opening of Scene VIII?
(a) A suit.
(b) Linen napkins.
(c) A trousseau.
(d) A dress.
5. Where did Scene X open?
(a) The court of the Holy Inquisition.
(b) The Florentine Court.
(c) An apartment in the Vatican.
(d) Andrea's home.
6. Who claims that Galileo would damn him if he (Galileo) would not see him?
(c) The "Little Monk."
7. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that Galileo could not say "no" to?
(a) "To an old wine or a new idea."
(b) "To an old friend or a new invention."
(c) "To an old idea and a new vision."
(d) "To an old friend and a new friend."
8. What does Federzoni think has begun, "the hour of its birth," when the bell does not ring at the time the inquisitors thought it would?
(a) The age of science.
(b) The age of Galileo.
(c) The age of reason.
(d) The age of open-minds.
9. According the opening of Scene XII, where is Galileo living?
(a) In a country house near Florence.
(b) In a jail cell.
(c) In Venice.
(d) In Virginia's home under lock and key.
10. At the end of Scene IX, what awaits Galileo?
(a) The Florentine Court.
(b) His Highness, the Grand Duke.
(d) The coach of the Holy Inquisition.
11. While waiting to hear news of the inquisition, what are the "Little Monk" and Federzoni doing?
(a) Playing chess.
(b) Sinking iron needles in water.
(c) Making models of the solar system.
(d) Watching ice float.
12. What does the new Pope, at the opening of Scene VIII, want Galileo to study?
(a) The stars.
(c) The moon.
(d) The Earth's rotation.
13. According to the "Little Monk," how many nights passed since he had been able to sleep?
(a) 6 n ights.
(b) 5 nights.
(c) 3 nights.
(d) 7 nights.
14. Why does Sarti tell Virginia to go to the University to see an astronomer?
(a) To seek a better husband.
(b) To prove her father's teachings true.
(c) To cast her horoscope.
(d) To prove her father's teachings false.
15. At the end of Scene Seven, the "Little Monk" told Galileo that he cannot understand what?
(a) A model.
(b) A drawing.
(c) A sentence.
(d) A word.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Galileo, what gives the "Little Monk" the right to say whatever he wishes?
2. What type of language does the Inquisitor say that Galileo writes in?
3. Where does Scene VIII open?
4. What does Galileo call a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie?
5. What does the "Little Monk" tell Andrea about that Galileo always carries in his pocket?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)