|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Galileo claim is ruining Virginia's complexion?
(a) Worrying about her father.
(b) Finding a new husband.
(c) Worrying about Ludovico.
(d) Going to early Mass.
2. What astrological sign does Ludovico align with?
3. Who does Galileo tell Virginia that he was afraid of?
(a) The Pope.
(b) The Inquisitor.
(d) Rector Gaffone.
4. What time do the people of the inquisition believe that Galileo would recant?
5. What pages from Galileo's book do the Monks have?
(a) 47 and 48.
(b) 116 and 117.
(c) 131 and 132.
(d) 145 and 146.
6. Why does Galileo tell Andrea that they could not investigate sunspots?
(a) Because they "could not waste their time."
(b) Because they were" not authorized by the Holy Court."
(c) Because they were "working on floating bodies."
(d) Because they had "too much knowledge already."
7. According the opening of Scene XII, where is Galileo living?
(a) In Virginia's home under lock and key.
(b) In Venice.
(c) In a jail cell.
(d) In a country house near Florence.
8. Where did Scene X open?
(a) Andrea's home.
(b) An apartment in the Vatican.
(c) The Florentine Court.
(d) The court of the Holy Inquisition.
9. How old is Virginia in Scene XII?
(a) About 40.
(b) About 60.
(c) About 75.
(d) About 55.
10. What kind of clock is Galileo presented with as a gift from Cardinal Bellarmin?
(a) Parliament clock.
(b) Cellini clock.
(c) Atmos clock.
(d) Lantern clock.
11. In Scene XI, how many days does the "Little Monk" say that Galileo had been sitting in prison?
(a) 23 days.
(b) 30 days.
(c) 13 days.
(d) 47 days.
12. Why does Sarti tell Virginia to go to the University to see an astronomer?
(a) To seek a better husband.
(b) To prove her father's teachings false.
(c) To cast her horoscope.
(d) To prove her father's teachings true.
13. While Galileo is in with the inquisition, what is Virginia doing?
14. Who claims that Galileo would damn him if he (Galileo) would not see him?
(c) The "Little Monk."
15. What is the date at the opening of Scene XI?
(a) January 11, 1622.
(b) March 17, 1644.
(c) June 22, 1633.
(d) December 14, 1638.
Short Answer Questions
1. What astrological sign does Virgina align with?
2. What type of language does the Inquisitor say that Galileo writes in?
3. What gift is sent to Galileo by "someone passing through"? (Scene XII)
4. Where does Andrea say he is going to go when he leaves Italy to "take up scientific work"?
5. What are the dates that Scene XII took place?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)