|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Galileo claim the he knows the difference between when Vanni tells him he is "unable to distinguish your friends from your enemies"?
(a) Wealth and poverty.
(b) Imagination and reality.
(c) Science and religion.
(d) Power and impotence.
2. At the end of Scene X, what has the Pope finished doing?
(b) Reading Galileo's manuscript.
(c) Signing the inquisition.
(d) Getting dressed.
3. At the end of Scene IX, what awaits Galileo?
(a) The coach of the Holy Inquisition.
(b) The Florentine Court.
(d) His Highness, the Grand Duke.
4. To where does the "High Official" tell Galileo that he has to go to face the Holy Inquisition?
5. Who was Pope Urban VII, prior to receiving his papal name?
(a) The "Old Cardinal."
(c) Cardinal Bellarmin.
(d) Cardinal Barberini.
6. Where does Scene VII open?
(a) Galileo's home.
(b) In the Palace of the Florentine Ambassador in Rome.
(c) In the Hall of Inquisition.
(d) A monastery.
7. Who does Galileo tell Virginia that he was afraid of?
(a) The Pope.
(c) The Inquisitor.
(d) Rector Gaffone.
8. What does Galileo call a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie?
(a) A prophet.
(b) A liar.
(c) A fraud.
(d) A criminal.
9. Who, from Amsterdam, wanted Andrea to ask about Galileo's health?
10. What kind of clock is Galileo presented with as a gift from Cardinal Bellarmin?
(a) Lantern clock.
(b) Atmos clock.
(c) Parliament clock.
(d) Cellini clock.
11. According the opening of Scene XII, where is Galileo living?
(a) In Venice.
(b) In a country house near Florence.
(c) In a jail cell.
(d) In Virginia's home under lock and key.
12. How many months of pay does the Court owe Galileo? (in Scene Nine)
(a) 3 months pay.
(b) 12 months pay.
(c) 2 months pay.
(d) 6 months pay.
13. Why does Vanni say Galileo would be better off in Venice?
(a) "Fewer black coats."
(b) "More people to support him."
(c) "Fewer skeptics."
(d) "More scientists with open minds."
14. What time do the people of the inquisition believe that Galileo would recant?
15. At the end of Scene Seven, the "Little Monk" told Galileo that he cannot understand what?
(a) A sentence.
(b) A word.
(c) A model.
(d) A drawing.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the "Little Monk" spent time with Galileo, while Galileo was in prison, to whom does Galileo compare his work?
2. What does the Inquisitor want to keep while "damning" Galileo's writings?
3. Where does Andrea say he is going to go when he leaves Italy to "take up scientific work"?
4. Where does Galileo hide a copy of his Discorsi?
5. Why does Andrea say that Galileo could not have stayed in the Republic?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)