|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, according to Andrea, do the people of Paris and Prague believe sunspots were?
(a) Swarms of stars.
(b) Vapors from the sun.
(c) Surface winds.
2. What time do the people of the inquisition believe that Galileo would recant?
3. To what day, did the opening of Scene XII, say that Galileo would be a prisoner of the Church?
(a) For 50 years.
(b) Until he died.
(c) For 30 years.
(d) For 100 years.
4. According to the "Little Monk," how many nights passed since he had been able to sleep?
(a) 7 nights.
(b) 5 nights.
(c) 3 nights.
(d) 6 n ights.
5. What does the "Little Monk" tell Andrea about that Galileo always carries in his pocket?
(a) A drawing of his telescope.
(b) His touchstone.
(c) A lock of Virginia's hair.
(d) A picture of Virginia.
6. What does Galileo call a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie?
(a) A fraud.
(b) A liar.
(c) A prophet.
(d) A criminal.
7. At the end of Scene IX, what awaits Galileo?
(b) The Florentine Court.
(c) His Highness, the Grand Duke.
(d) The coach of the Holy Inquisition.
8. What does Signor Gaffone give to Virginia, "in mint condition," to give to her father?
(a) A letter of intent.
(b) A manuscript.
(c) A book.
(d) A copyright for the telescope.
9. After the bell rang, who reads Galileo's recant on the street?
(a) The crier.
(c) The Pope.
10. What astrological sign does Ludovico align with?
11. Who does the Inquisitor say is an expert on instruments?
(a) Signor Galilei.
(b) Cardinal Barberini.
(c) Rector Gaffone.
(d) Signor Vanni.
12. Who, from Amsterdam, wanted Andrea to ask about Galileo's health?
13. When the "Little Monk" spent time with Galileo, while Galileo was in prison, to whom does Galileo compare his work?
(a) The Mayans.
14. Why does Andrea say that Galileo could not have stayed in the Republic?
(a) Because he could not study the stars there.
(b) Because he could not write his book there.
(c) Because he could not study the ocean there.
(d) Because he could not publish his book there.
15. What type of language does the Inquisitor say that Galileo writes in?
(a) "The language of scholars."
(b) "The language of the Church, Ecclesiastical Latin."
(c) "The language of mathematicians."
(d) "The language of the fishwives and wool merchants."
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Galileo hide a copy of his Discorsi?
2. What year is it at the opening of Scene IX?
3. What does the new Pope, at the opening of Scene VIII, want Galileo to study?
4. Where did Scene X open?
5. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that he will not have destroyed?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)