|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While waiting for Galileo's inquisition to finish, what does Andrea say he fears would never be completed?
(a) The Galileo Model.
(b) The Oceanic Maps.
(c) The Discorsi.
(d) The Star Charts.
2. Where did Scene XI take place?
(a) In the Hall of Trials in Venice.
(b) In the Court of Inquisition in Florence.
(c) In the Palace of the Florentine Ambassador in Rome.
(d) An apartment in the Vatican.
3. Who, from Amsterdam, wanted Andrea to ask about Galileo's health?
4. Who does Galileo tell Virginia invited him to Padua?
(d) Rector Gaffone.
5. At the end of Scene X, what has the Pope finished doing?
(a) Signing the inquisition.
(b) Reading Galileo's manuscript.
(c) Getting dressed.
6. After the bell rang, who reads Galileo's recant on the street?
(c) The Pope.
(d) The crier.
7. Why does Galileo tell Andrea that they could not investigate sunspots?
(a) Because they were "working on floating bodies."
(b) Because they had "too much knowledge already."
(c) Because they were" not authorized by the Holy Court."
(d) Because they "could not waste their time."
8. What kind of clock is Galileo presented with as a gift from Cardinal Bellarmin?
(a) Lantern clock.
(b) Atmos clock.
(c) Parliament clock.
(d) Cellini clock.
9. What philosopher does Galileo and Andrea study in regard to objects floating?
10. According the opening of Scene XII, where is Galileo living?
(a) In a jail cell.
(b) In a country house near Florence.
(c) In Venice.
(d) In Virginia's home under lock and key.
11. Who claims that Galileo would damn him if he (Galileo) would not see him?
(d) The "Little Monk."
12. When the "Little Monk" spent time with Galileo, while Galileo was in prison, to whom does Galileo compare his work?
(b) The Mayans.
13. Whose palace is the beginning of Scene IX set at?
14. Where does Galileo hide a copy of his Discorsi?
(a) A false bottom in his desk.
(b) The globe.
(c) Behind his star charts.
(d) In his bed.
15. How many months of pay does the Court owe Galileo? (in Scene Nine)
(a) 12 months pay.
(b) 2 months pay.
(c) 6 months pay.
(d) 3 months pay.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift is sent to Galileo by "someone passing through"? (Scene XII)
2. What author has Galileo begun to read again? (Revealed by Galileo to the "Little Monk" during their conversation in Scene VII.)
3. Who does the monk say that he has to have permission from before Galileo can see an eye doctor?
4. What pages from Galileo's book do the Monks have?
5. At the opening of Scene IX, who is Galileo and Virginia waiting to be admitted by?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)