|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Scene XI take place?
(a) In the Court of Inquisition in Florence.
(b) In the Palace of the Florentine Ambassador in Rome.
(c) An apartment in the Vatican.
(d) In the Hall of Trials in Venice.
2. Why does Andrea say that Galileo could not have stayed in the Republic?
(a) Because he could not write his book there.
(b) Because he could not study the stars there.
(c) Because he could not study the ocean there.
(d) Because he could not publish his book there.
3. What gift is sent to Galileo by "someone passing through"? (Scene XII)
(a) Two ducks.
(b) Two rabbits.
(c) Two geese.
(d) Two turkeys.
4. What manuscripts does Galileo give to the "Little Monk"?
(a) Papers on the sun being the center of the universe.
(b) Papers on why the ocean moves in ebb and flood.
(c) Papers on evolution.
(d) Papers on the inquiry of time.
5. Why does Sarti tell Virginia to go to the University to see an astronomer?
(a) To prove her father's teachings false.
(b) To prove her father's teachings true.
(c) To cast her horoscope.
(d) To seek a better husband.
6. What does Galileo use to make the iron needle float on the surface of water without sinking?
(a) A string.
(b) A piece of paper.
(c) A piece of wax.
7. What does Galileo call a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie?
(a) A fraud.
(b) A liar.
(c) A criminal.
(d) A prophet.
8. While waiting for Galileo's inquisition to finish, what does Andrea say he fears would never be completed?
(a) The Discorsi.
(b) The Star Charts.
(c) The Oceanic Maps.
(d) The Galileo Model.
9. Whose palace is the beginning of Scene IX set at?
10. Why does Vanni say Galileo would be better off in Venice?
(a) "More people to support him."
(b) "Fewer skeptics."
(c) "Fewer black coats."
(d) "More scientists with open minds."
11. What does the Inquisitor want to keep while "damning" Galileo's writings?
(a) The telescope.
(b) Star charts.
(c) The scientific mind.
(d) The ocean charts.
12. At the end of Scene Seven, the "Little Monk" told Galileo that he cannot understand what?
(a) A word.
(b) A sentence.
(c) A model.
(d) A drawing.
13. Who was Pope Urban VII, prior to receiving his papal name?
(a) Cardinal Barberini.
(c) Cardinal Bellarmin.
(d) The "Old Cardinal."
14. What philosopher does Galileo and Andrea study in regard to objects floating?
15. What astrological sign does Virgina align with?
(c) The Twins.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the monk say that he has to have permission from before Galileo can see an eye doctor?
2. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that he will not have destroyed?
3. Where does Andrea say he is going to go when he leaves Italy to "take up scientific work"?
4. Who does Galileo say are his "favorite readings"?
5. At the opening of Scene IX, who is Galileo and Virginia waiting to be admitted by?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)