|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What pages from Galileo's book do the Monks have?
(a) 116 and 117.
(b) 145 and 146.
(c) 47 and 48.
(d) 131 and 132.
2. What does Galileo claim is ruining Virginia's complexion?
(a) Worrying about Ludovico.
(b) Finding a new husband.
(c) Worrying about her father.
(d) Going to early Mass.
3. Who does Galileo tell Virginia invited him to Padua?
(a) Rector Gaffone.
4. What are the dates that Scene XII took place?
5. What does Federzoni say he would rather do if Galileo recanted his teachings?
(a) Give up science.
(b) Not live.
(c) Stay in Rome.
(d) Recant his own beliefs.
6. Why does Vanni say Galileo would be better off in Venice?
(a) "Fewer black coats."
(b) "More scientists with open minds."
(c) "More people to support him."
(d) "Fewer skeptics."
7. What is the only thing that the people from the "Little Monk's" village knew about?
8. According to the "Little Monk," how many nights passed since he had been able to sleep?
(a) 7 nights.
(b) 3 nights.
(c) 6 n ights.
(d) 5 nights.
9. According to Vanni, how many books on agriculture were published, within the last year, in London?
(a) 2 books.
(b) 5 books.
(c) 14 books.
(d) 8 books.
10. What does the "Little Monk" tell Andrea about that Galileo always carries in his pocket?
(a) A picture of Virginia.
(b) His touchstone.
(c) A drawing of his telescope.
(d) A lock of Virginia's hair.
11. According the opening of Scene XII, where is Galileo living?
(a) In Virginia's home under lock and key.
(b) In a jail cell.
(c) In a country house near Florence.
(d) In Venice.
12. When the "Little Monk" spent time with Galileo, while Galileo was in prison, to whom does Galileo compare his work?
(d) The Mayans.
13. What happens to Virginia at the end of Scene VIII?
(a) She faints.
(b) She ran after Ludovico.
(c) She fell down the stairs.
(d) She hit her father.
14. What does Galileo tell Vanni that he values after Vanni suggests that Galileo "take up flight"?
15. What does the Inquisitor want to keep while "damning" Galileo's writings?
(a) The telescope.
(b) The scientific mind.
(c) The ocean charts.
(d) Star charts.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Scene Seven, the "Little Monk" told Galileo that he cannot understand what?
2. Who does the monk say that he has to have permission from before Galileo can see an eye doctor?
3. In Scene XI, how many days does the "Little Monk" say that Galileo had been sitting in prison?
4. What time do the people of the inquisition believe that Galileo would recant?
5. Where does Scene VII open?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)