|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Pope Urban VII, prior to receiving his papal name?
(a) The "Old Cardinal."
(c) Cardinal Bellarmin.
(d) Cardinal Barberini.
2. What does Federzoni think has begun, "the hour of its birth," when the bell does not ring at the time the inquisitors thought it would?
(a) The age of open-minds.
(b) The age of science.
(c) The age of reason.
(d) The age of Galileo.
3. What does the "Little Monk" tell Andrea about that Galileo always carries in his pocket?
(a) His touchstone.
(b) A drawing of his telescope.
(c) A picture of Virginia.
(d) A lock of Virginia's hair.
4. Why does Vanni say Galileo would be better off in Venice?
(a) "More people to support him."
(b) "Fewer skeptics."
(c) "More scientists with open minds."
(d) "Fewer black coats."
5. While waiting for Galileo's inquisition to finish, what does Andrea say he fears would never be completed?
(a) The Galileo Model.
(b) The Oceanic Maps.
(c) The Discorsi.
(d) The Star Charts.
6. According to the "Little Monk," how many nights passed since he had been able to sleep?
(a) 3 nights.
(b) 6 n ights.
(c) 7 nights.
(d) 5 nights.
7. What does Galileo claim is ruining Virginia's complexion?
(a) Going to early Mass.
(b) Worrying about her father.
(c) Worrying about Ludovico.
(d) Finding a new husband.
8. When the "Little Monk" spent time with Galileo, while Galileo was in prison, to whom does Galileo compare his work?
(c) The Mayans.
9. What, according to Andrea, do the people of Paris and Prague believe sunspots were?
(a) Vapors from the sun.
(b) Swarms of stars.
(c) Surface winds.
10. What author has Galileo begun to read again? (Revealed by Galileo to the "Little Monk" during their conversation in Scene VII.)
11. While speaking with the "Little Monk" about his family's life, what animal does Galileo talk about ?
(a) A sea urchin.
(b) A oyster.
(c) A scallop.
(d) A crab.
12. Who does Galileo tell Virginia that he was afraid of?
(a) Rector Gaffone.
(b) The Inquisitor.
(d) The Pope.
13. What year is it at the opening of Scene IX?
14. To what day, did the opening of Scene XII, say that Galileo would be a prisoner of the Church?
(a) For 100 years.
(b) For 50 years.
(c) For 30 years.
(d) Until he died.
15. At the end of Scene X, what has the Pope finished doing?
(a) Getting dressed.
(b) Signing the inquisition.
(d) Reading Galileo's manuscript.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Galileo is in with the inquisition, what is Virginia doing?
2. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that Galileo could not say "no" to?
3. What is the date at the opening of Scene XI?
4. While waiting to hear news of the inquisition, what are the "Little Monk" and Federzoni doing?
5. What does the Inquisitor want to keep while "damning" Galileo's writings?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)