|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Virginia at the end of Scene VIII?
(a) She faints.
(b) She ran after Ludovico.
(c) She hit her father.
(d) She fell down the stairs.
2. How many months of pay does the Court owe Galileo? (in Scene Nine)
(a) 6 months pay.
(b) 12 months pay.
(c) 3 months pay.
(d) 2 months pay.
3. Where does Scene VIII open?
(a) Galileo's house in Florence.
(b) The Vatican.
(c) The new Pope's chambers.
(d) Galileo's house in Rome.
4. What astrological sign does Virgina align with?
(b) The Twins.
5. Whose palace is the beginning of Scene IX set at?
6. What manuscripts does Galileo give to the "Little Monk"?
(a) Papers on the inquiry of time.
(b) Papers on the sun being the center of the universe.
(c) Papers on why the ocean moves in ebb and flood.
(d) Papers on evolution.
7. What does Galileo claim the he knows the difference between when Vanni tells him he is "unable to distinguish your friends from your enemies"?
(a) Power and impotence.
(b) Wealth and poverty.
(c) Science and religion.
(d) Imagination and reality.
8. What, according to Andrea, do the people of Paris and Prague believe sunspots were?
(b) Surface winds.
(c) Vapors from the sun.
(d) Swarms of stars.
9. Who was Pope Urban VII, prior to receiving his papal name?
(a) The "Old Cardinal."
(b) Cardinal Bellarmin.
(c) Cardinal Barberini.
10. Who did Galileo design a smelting-plant for?
(b) Signor Vanni.
(d) Rector Gaffone.
11. According to the "Little Monk," how many nights passed since he had been able to sleep?
(a) 7 nights.
(b) 5 nights.
(c) 3 nights.
(d) 6 n ights.
12. Where does Andrea say he is going to go when he leaves Italy to "take up scientific work"?
13. What philosopher does Galileo and Andrea study in regard to objects floating?
14. At the end of Scene IX, what awaits Galileo?
(b) The coach of the Holy Inquisition.
(c) The Florentine Court.
(d) His Highness, the Grand Duke.
15. To what day, did the opening of Scene XII, say that Galileo would be a prisoner of the Church?
(a) For 50 years.
(b) For 100 years.
(c) Until he died.
(d) For 30 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Vanni, how many books on agriculture were published, within the last year, in London?
2. What kind of clock is Galileo presented with as a gift from Cardinal Bellarmin?
3. What type of language does the Inquisitor say that Galileo writes in?
4. Why does Vanni say Galileo would be better off in Venice?
5. What is the date at the opening of Scene XI?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)