|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While waiting for Galileo's inquisition to finish, what does Andrea say he fears would never be completed?
(a) The Galileo Model.
(b) The Discorsi.
(c) The Oceanic Maps.
(d) The Star Charts.
2. How old is Virginia in Scene XII?
(a) About 75.
(b) About 60.
(c) About 55.
(d) About 40.
3. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that Galileo could not say "no" to?
(a) "To an old friend and a new friend."
(b) "To an old idea and a new vision."
(c) "To an old wine or a new idea."
(d) "To an old friend or a new invention."
4. Who does Galileo say are his "favorite readings"?
(a) Socrates and Homer.
(b) The Bible and Homer.
(c) Aristotle and Plato.
(d) The Bible and Socrates.
5. At the end of Scene X, what has the Pope finished doing?
(a) Getting dressed.
(c) Signing the inquisition.
(d) Reading Galileo's manuscript.
6. What gift is sent to Galileo by "someone passing through"? (Scene XII)
(a) Two rabbits.
(b) Two turkeys.
(c) Two ducks.
(d) Two geese.
7. Who does Galileo tell Virginia invited him to Padua?
(d) Rector Gaffone.
8. Where did Scene X open?
(a) Andrea's home.
(b) The Florentine Court.
(c) The court of the Holy Inquisition.
(d) An apartment in the Vatican.
9. What, according to Andrea, do the people of Paris and Prague believe sunspots were?
(a) Swarms of stars.
(b) Vapors from the sun.
(d) Surface winds.
10. What author has Galileo begun to read again? (Revealed by Galileo to the "Little Monk" during their conversation in Scene VII.)
11. What does Galileo use to make the iron needle float on the surface of water without sinking?
(b) A string.
(c) A piece of paper.
(d) A piece of wax.
12. What is the only thing that the people from the "Little Monk's" village knew about?
13. What kind of clock is Galileo presented with as a gift from Cardinal Bellarmin?
(a) Parliament clock.
(b) Lantern clock.
(c) Atmos clock.
(d) Cellini clock.
14. What manuscripts does Galileo give to the "Little Monk"?
(a) Papers on the inquiry of time.
(b) Papers on why the ocean moves in ebb and flood.
(c) Papers on the sun being the center of the universe.
(d) Papers on evolution.
15. According to Vanni, how many books on agriculture were published, within the last year, in London?
(a) 2 books.
(b) 14 books.
(c) 5 books.
(d) 8 books.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Galileo tell Andrea that they could not investigate sunspots?
2. What does Federzoni think has begun, "the hour of its birth," when the bell does not ring at the time the inquisitors thought it would?
3. Who was Pope Urban VII, prior to receiving his papal name?
4. What is the date at the opening of Scene XI?
5. To what day, did the opening of Scene XII, say that Galileo would be a prisoner of the Church?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)