|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the "Very Old Cardinal" claim was the "crown of creation"?
(b) The church.
(d) The sun.
2. What name does Galileo want to bestow on the new stars he found?
3. According to Galileo, what "grows feeble from being abused"?
4. Who does the Scholar claim is drunk again-while play-acting with the Monk?
(a) The Duke.
(d) Mother Earth.
5. What does Galileo tell the Curator would "save millions of scudi in navigation"?
(a) New star charts.
(b) New ocean maps.
(c) The telescope.
(d) New ships.
6. What does Galileo ask the men to trust when looking through the telescope at the stars?
(a) Their minds.
(b) Their eyes.
(d) Their hearts.
7. Who does the Philosopher say is "an authority recognized not only by the entire learning of antiquity, but also by the Holy Fathers of the Church"?
8. What happens to Signor Giordano Bruno "because he was not a Venetian and also had no appointment here"?
(a) He was imprisoned.
(b) He was hung.
(c) He was banished from the city.
(d) He was burned at the stake.
9. What does the First Scholar see that Galileo dropped?
(a) A stone.
(b) A crystal.
(c) A map.
(d) A coin.
10. What does Galileo tell Sagredo the spots on stars were?
11. How much is the private tuition that Galileo initially was going to charge Ludovico?
(a) Fifteen scudi a month.
(b) Ten scudi a month.
(c) Fifty scudi a month.
(d) Five scudi a month.
12. What prediction does Galileo make to Andrea about astronomy?
(a) That "astronomy will be challenged again and again."
(b) That "astronomy will never falter him."
(c) That "astronomy will be honored by Kings and Queens."
(d) That "astronomy will be talked about in the market-places."
13. While at the ball, what chapter of the Bible do both Cardinal Bellarmin and Cardinal Barberini quote?
14. According to Galileo, if one believes in humanity, they believe in what?
(b) "Something bigger than himself."
(c) "Common sense."
(d) "That mankind is the center of all."
15. What does Sarti offer to the Grand Duke as his Court is leaving at the end of Scene IV?
(a) An apple.
(b) A biscuit.
(c) A flower.
(d) A milk.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many fixed stars does Galileo tell Sagredo were in the constellation of Orion?
2. Where did Ludovico Marsili's letter say he has studied?
3. Where does Scene VI open?
4. What does the Curator say that Galileo had invented for the city, calling the invention "excellent"?
5. What does Cosimo call Andrea as they fight over the models?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)