|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Duke and his Court attend after leaving Galileo's home?
(a) A trial.
(b) The Court Ball.
(c) A knighting.
(d) An inquisition.
2. What does Galileo tell Sagredo the spots on stars were?
3. According to Bellarmin, whose teachings have been found, by the Holy Office, to be "futile, foolish and heretical"?
(a) Plato's teachings.
(b) Galileo's teachings.
(c) Socrates' teachings.
(d) Copernicus' teachings.
4. According to the "Very Thin Monk," what is equated with the home of the human race?
(a) A wondering star.
(b) The sun.
(c) The moons of Jupiter.
5. How old is Andrea in Scene I?
(a) 14 years old.
(b) 12 years old.
(c) 10 years old.
(d) 8 years old.
6. Where does Scene V open?
(a) Galileo's home.
(c) The marketplace in Florence.
(d) Hall of the Collegium Romanum in Rome.
7. Where does Galileo place the Ptolemaic system for Andrea to find?
(a) In the broom closet.
(b) In the teapot.
(c) Under the table.
(d) Behind the star charts.
8. After finding out about Ludovico's interests, how much does Galileo say he is going to charge him for private tuition?
(b) Twenty scudi a month.
(c) Fifteen scudi a month.
(d) Ten scudi a month.
9. Who does the "Very Old Cardinal" claim was the "crown of creation"?
(b) The sun.
(d) The church.
10. What does Galileo use to represent the Earth when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
(b) A milk bottle.
(c) A chair.
(d) A loaf of bread.
11. While talking to Andrea about the ships that had found new continents, what does Galileo call the "dreaded ocean"?
(a) A pool.
(b) A lake.
(c) A puddle.
(d) A pond.
12. What are the globes on the Ptolemaic system model made of?
13. What chess piece does Galileo say took to "moving all over the board"?
(a) The castle.
(b) The King.
(c) The knight.
(d) The pawn.
14. What name does Galileo want to bestow on the new stars he found?
15. When, according to Galileo, does he "get most inspiration"?
(a) When he ate.
(b) When he looked at the stars.
(c) When he read.
(d) When he thought about Virginia's dowry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Galileo when he was arguing with the Curator about salary?
2. Who does Andrea tell his mother had "worked out" that the Earth went around the sun?
3. What year is it in the opening of the play?
4. What does the "Very Old Cardinal" call Galileo because of Galileo's claims?
5. What does Sarti hand to Galileo while he was telling her about the new discoveries in science?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)