|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What epicyclical orbit does Galileo draw on the blackboard when describing his discovery to the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
(b) The sun.
2. What does the First Scholar see that Galileo dropped?
(a) A map.
(b) A crystal.
(c) A stone.
(d) A coin.
3. What does the stone at the center of the Ptolemaic system model represent?
(b) The sun.
(c) The moon.
4. What is the name of the bailiff?
(a) Signor Franco.
(b) Signor Parente.
(c) Signor Cambione.
(d) Signor Franz.
5. What are the globes on the Ptolemaic system model made of?
6. What does the "Very Old Cardinal" call Galileo because of Galileo's claims?
(a) An enemy of the human race.
(b) An enemy of God.
(c) A thief of religion.
(d) The world's most knowledgable scientist.
7. According to the "Very Thin Monk," what is equated with the home of the human race?
(b) The sun.
(c) A wondering star.
(d) The moons of Jupiter.
8. Why does the Grand Duke of Tuscany come to Galileo's home?
(a) To see the telescope.
(b) To see Andrea.
(c) To talk to Galileo about stars.
(d) To talk to Santi.
9. What does Galileo ask the men to trust when looking through the telescope at the stars?
(a) Their eyes.
(b) Their minds.
(c) Their hearts.
10. What year is it in the opening of the play?
11. Who does Andrea tell his mother had "worked out" that the Earth went around the sun?
12. Who does the Chamberlain say is the name of the Astronomer-in-Chief at the Papal College in Rome?
(a) Father Franz Wistne.
(b) Father Christophe Cleminez.
(c) Father Micheal Measter.
(d) Father Christopher Clavius.
13. What does Sarti offer to the Grand Duke as his Court is leaving at the end of Scene IV?
(a) A milk.
(b) An apple.
(c) A biscuit.
(d) A flower.
14. What is the name of the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
(a) Cosimo de' Medici.
(b) His Royal Highness of Tuscany.
(c) Signor Ragsord.
15. What does Galileo use to represent the sun when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
(a) A table.
(b) A lamp.
(c) A wash basin.
(d) A chair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the strips of paper on the Ptolemaic system model have written on them?
2. How old does Ludovico say the invention he saw in Holland was?
3. How old is Galileo's daughter, Virginia, in Scene II?
4. What does Galileo use to represent the Earth when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
5. Where did Ludovico Marsili's letter say he has studied?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)