|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Galileo, when informed upon the Holy Office's findings, who accepted Galileo's observations?
(a) The University of Florence.
(b) The Pope.
(c) Cardinal Bellarmin.
(d) The astronomers of the Collegium Romanum.
2. What does Galileo use to represent the Earth when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
(b) A chair.
(c) A loaf of bread.
(d) A milk bottle.
3. What is the name of the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
(a) Signor Ragsord.
(b) His Royal Highness of Tuscany.
(d) Cosimo de' Medici.
4. Where does Galileo tell Sagredo that the light from the moon comes from?
(a) The sun.
(b) The moon.
5. How old does Ludovico say the invention he saw in Holland was?
(a) A month old.
(b) A few days old.
(c) A few hours old.
(d) A week old.
6. Where does Virginia say she will be married?
7. What happens to Signor Giordano Bruno "because he was not a Venetian and also had no appointment here"?
(a) He was burned at the stake.
(b) He was hung.
(c) He was banished from the city.
(d) He was imprisoned.
8. When Sagredo asks Galileo about where God was, what is Galileo's answer?
(a) "In us, or nowhere."
(b) "On the brightest star."
(c) "On the moon."
(d) "On earth, buried deeply as to not be found."
9. In the Ptolemaic system model, what does Galileo claim moved?
(a) Only the stars.
(b) Only the planets.
(c) Only the sun.
10. How many fixed stars does Galileo tell Sagredo were in the constellation of Orion?
(a) 150 fixed stars.
(b) 500 fixed stars.
(c) 5,000 fixed stars.
(d) 700 fixed stars.
11. What object does Andrea tell Galileo not to use because "You can prove anything with them"?
(a) A ball of yarn.
(b) An apple.
(c) An orange.
(d) A pear.
12. According to Bellarmin, whose teachings have been found, by the Holy Office, to be "futile, foolish and heretical"?
(a) Copernicus' teachings.
(b) Plato's teachings.
(c) Socrates' teachings.
(d) Galileo's teachings.
13. How much is the private tuition that Galileo initially was going to charge Ludovico?
(a) Fifteen scudi a month.
(b) Five scudi a month.
(c) Fifty scudi a month.
(d) Ten scudi a month.
14. Who is Virginia speaking with at the end of Scene VI?
(a) Her fiance.
(b) The Inquisitor.
(d) Her father.
15. How old is Galileo's daughter, Virginia, in Scene II?
(a) 15 years old.
(b) 17 years old.
(c) 11 years old.
(d) 12 years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the strips of paper on the Ptolemaic system model have written on them?
2. What does Galileo tell Sagredo the spots on stars were?
3. What is the date of the opening of Scene III?
4. Why does Andrea leave the room when Galileo was asking the men from the courts to look through the telescope?
5. While talking to Andrea about the ships that had found new continents, what does Galileo call the "dreaded ocean"?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)