|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bell rings as Virginia entered her father's room? (Scene III)
(a) A bell for early Mass.
(b) A noon bell.
(c) An evening bell.
(d) A bell signaling lunch.
2. Why does the Grand Duke of Tuscany come to Galileo's home?
(a) To talk to Santi.
(b) To talk to Galileo about stars.
(c) To see the telescope.
(d) To see Andrea.
3. What is the name of the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
(a) Signor Ragsord.
(b) Cosimo de' Medici.
(d) His Royal Highness of Tuscany.
4. What does Galileo ask the men to trust when looking through the telescope at the stars?
(b) Their minds.
(c) Their hearts.
(d) Their eyes.
5. What does Galileo say he bought instead of paying the milkman?
6. What does the First Scholar see that Galileo dropped?
(a) A stone.
(b) A crystal.
(c) A map.
(d) A coin.
7. How old is Galileo's daughter, Virginia, in Scene II?
(a) 15 years old.
(b) 17 years old.
(c) 11 years old.
(d) 12 years old.
8. What does Galileo tell the Curator would "save millions of scudi in navigation"?
(a) New ships.
(b) New ocean maps.
(c) The telescope.
(d) New star charts.
9. Where does Galileo tell Sagredo that the light from the moon comes from?
(a) The sun.
(d) The moon.
10. Who is Virginia's Father Confessor?
(a) Father Franz from Notre Dame.
(b) Father Christophorus from Saint Ursula.
(c) Father Steine from Saint Mercy.
(d) Father Michael from Saint Cornela.
11. What name does Galileo want to bestow on the new stars he found?
12. What chess piece does Galileo say took to "moving all over the board"?
(a) The pawn.
(b) The castle.
(c) The King.
(d) The knight.
13. Where did Ludovico Marsili's letter say he has studied?
14. Who does the Philosopher say is "Italy's and the Church's greatest astronomer"?
(b) Christopher Clavius.
(d) Micheal Montrassauri.
15. Why does Galileo tell Virginia that they move to Florence?
(a) To find her a husband.
(b) So he could be the Court Mathematician.
(c) So that he could sell his telescopes.
(d) To work for the University.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the Inquisitor have taking a transcript of the conversation between Galileo and Cardinals Bellarmin and Barberini?
2. According to the Curator, what republic refuses the Inquisition any say in scientific affairs?
3. What are the globes on the Ptolemaic system model made of?
4. Where does Galileo place the Ptolemaic system for Andrea to find?
5. What does Galileo tell Sagredo the spots on stars were?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)