|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Scene IV open?
(a) The marketplace.
(b) Galileo's home in Florence.
(c) The University in Florence.
(d) Virginia's home.
2. Why does Galileo tell Virginia that they move to Florence?
(a) To work for the University.
(b) So he could be the Court Mathematician.
(c) To find her a husband.
(d) So that he could sell his telescopes.
3. Why does the Grand Duke of Tuscany come to Galileo's home?
(a) To see Andrea.
(b) To talk to Santi.
(c) To talk to Galileo about stars.
(d) To see the telescope.
4. How many fixed stars does Galileo tell Sagredo were in the constellation of Orion?
(a) 5,000 fixed stars.
(b) 700 fixed stars.
(c) 500 fixed stars.
(d) 150 fixed stars.
5. Who does the "Very Old Cardinal" claim was the "crown of creation"?
(a) The church.
(d) The sun.
6. Who is Virginia's Father Confessor?
(a) Father Christophorus from Saint Ursula.
(b) Father Michael from Saint Cornela.
(c) Father Franz from Notre Dame.
(d) Father Steine from Saint Mercy.
7. What does Cosimo call Andrea as they fight over the models?
8. What is the monk play-acting? (in the opening of Scene V.)
(a) The he was looking at the sun through the telescope.
(b) The he was Galileo.
(c) The he was drunk.
(d) That the Earth was spinning too fast.
9. Who is Virginia speaking with at the end of Scene VI?
(a) Her father.
(b) The Inquisitor.
(c) Her fiance.
10. How many globes surround the center stone?
(a) 8 globes.
(b) 9 globes.
(c) 12 globes.
(d) 10 globes.
11. What does the First Scholar see that Galileo dropped?
(a) A crystal.
(b) A coin.
(c) A stone.
(d) A map.
12. What is the name of the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
(a) Cosimo de' Medici.
(c) Signor Ragsord.
(d) His Royal Highness of Tuscany.
13. According to Galileo, if one believes in humanity, they believe in what?
(b) "Something bigger than himself."
(c) "That mankind is the center of all."
(d) "Common sense."
14. When discussing Galileo's findings regarding the movement of stars, who did the Philosopher think Signer Federzoni was?
(a) Galileo's student.
(b) Galileo's lens-grinder.
(c) Galileo's manservant.
(d) Galileo's son-in-law.
15. What does Galileo tell Sagredo the spots on stars were?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Galileo tell the Curator would "save millions of scudi in navigation"?
2. What bell rings as Virginia entered her father's room? (Scene III)
3. While at the ball, what chapter of the Bible do both Cardinal Bellarmin and Cardinal Barberini quote?
4. What is the name of the bailiff?
5. What does Galileo use to represent the Earth when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)