|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Virginia's Father Confessor?
(a) Father Franz from Notre Dame.
(b) Father Michael from Saint Cornela.
(c) Father Steine from Saint Mercy.
(d) Father Christophorus from Saint Ursula.
2. While talking to Andrea about the ships that had found new continents, what does Galileo call the "dreaded ocean"?
(a) A puddle.
(b) A pond.
(c) A lake.
(d) A pool.
3. What sickness was the "Old Gentlemen" discussing as they climbed the stairs to see the telescope?
(a) The plague.
(d) Larsen Sydnrome.
4. On what date did the inquisition put the Copernican teachings on the index?
(a) October 28, 1629.
(b) March 15, 1616.
(c) April 1, 1618.
(d) December 25, 1616.
5. Which Dane determines the track of a comet?
(b) Cosimo Medici.
(c) Tycho Brahe.
6. What does Galileo say he bought instead of paying the milkman?
7. How many fixed stars does Galileo tell Sagredo were in the constellation of Orion?
(a) 500 fixed stars.
(b) 700 fixed stars.
(c) 150 fixed stars.
(d) 5,000 fixed stars.
8. Where does Scene V open?
(a) The marketplace in Florence.
(b) Hall of the Collegium Romanum in Rome.
(c) Galileo's home.
9. What prediction does Galileo make to Andrea about astronomy?
(a) That "astronomy will be honored by Kings and Queens."
(b) That "astronomy will be talked about in the market-places."
(c) That "astronomy will be challenged again and again."
(d) That "astronomy will never falter him."
10. What is the monk play-acting? (in the opening of Scene V.)
(a) That the Earth was spinning too fast.
(b) The he was drunk.
(c) The he was looking at the sun through the telescope.
(d) The he was Galileo.
11. What does Galileo ask the men to trust when looking through the telescope at the stars?
(a) Their eyes.
(c) Their hearts.
(d) Their minds.
12. How many stars does Galileo find revolved around Jupiter?
(a) 6 stars.
(b) 1 stars.
(c) 4 stars.
(d) 3 stars.
13. How much is the private tuition that Galileo initially was going to charge Ludovico?
(a) Fifteen scudi a month.
(b) Ten scudi a month.
(c) Five scudi a month.
(d) Fifty scudi a month.
14. At the ball, what mask does Barberini wear? (Scene VI)
(a) That of a mime.
(b) That of a jester.
(c) That of a tiger.
(d) That of a dove.
15. When, according to Galileo, does he "get most inspiration"?
(a) When he ate.
(b) When he read.
(c) When he thought about Virginia's dowry.
(d) When he looked at the stars.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many globes surround the center stone?
2. Where did Ludovico Marsili's letter say he has studied?
3. What is the name of the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
4. What does Galileo tell the Curator would "save millions of scudi in navigation"?
5. In the Ptolemaic system model, what does Galileo claim moved?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)