|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cosimo call Andrea as they fight over the models?
2. What chess piece does Galileo say took to "moving all over the board"?
(a) The King.
(b) The castle.
(c) The knight.
(d) The pawn.
3. What happens to Signor Giordano Bruno "because he was not a Venetian and also had no appointment here"?
(a) He was hung.
(b) He was imprisoned.
(c) He was banished from the city.
(d) He was burned at the stake.
4. At the ball, what mask does Barberini wear? (Scene VI)
(a) That of a tiger.
(b) That of a jester.
(c) That of a dove.
(d) That of a mime.
5. How many years did Sarti work for Monsignor Filippo before working for Galileo?
(a) 7 years.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 4 years.
6. According to Galileo, when informed upon the Holy Office's findings, who accepted Galileo's observations?
(a) Cardinal Bellarmin.
(b) The astronomers of the Collegium Romanum.
(c) The University of Florence.
(d) The Pope.
7. How many stars does Galileo find revolved around Jupiter?
(a) 1 stars.
(b) 3 stars.
(c) 4 stars.
(d) 6 stars.
8. According to the "Very Thin Monk," what is equated with the home of the human race?
(a) The sun.
(c) A wondering star.
(d) The moons of Jupiter.
9. Where did Ludovico Marsili's letter say he has studied?
10. What do Cosimo and Andrea break during their fighting on the floor?
(a) The telescope.
(b) A chair.
(c) A star model.
(d) The Ptolemaic model.
11. What does Galileo tell the Curator would "save millions of scudi in navigation"?
(a) New ships.
(b) New star charts.
(c) New ocean maps.
(d) The telescope.
12. What does Galileo tell Andrea to put on the table? (Scene I)
13. What does Galileo use to represent the sun when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
(a) A lamp.
(b) A table.
(c) A chair.
(d) A wash basin.
14. What name does Galileo want to bestow on the new stars he found?
15. On what date did the inquisition put the Copernican teachings on the index?
(a) March 15, 1616.
(b) April 1, 1618.
(c) October 28, 1629.
(d) December 25, 1616.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Virginia speaking with at the end of Scene VI?
2. What does Sarti hand to Galileo while he was telling her about the new discoveries in science?
3. What does Galileo ask the men to trust when looking through the telescope at the stars?
4. What prediction does Galileo make to Andrea about astronomy?
5. What does Galileo tell Sagredo the spots on stars were?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)