|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When discussing Galileo's findings regarding the movement of stars, who did the Philosopher think Signer Federzoni was?
(a) Galileo's student.
(b) Galileo's manservant.
(c) Galileo's son-in-law.
(d) Galileo's lens-grinder.
2. What does Galileo use to represent the sun when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
(a) A wash basin.
(b) A chair.
(c) A lamp.
(d) A table.
3. After finding out about Ludovico's interests, how much does Galileo say he is going to charge him for private tuition?
(a) Twenty scudi a month.
(b) Ten scudi a month.
(c) Fifteen scudi a month.
4. How many years did Sarti work for Monsignor Filippo before working for Galileo?
(a) 4 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 7 years.
5. What does the stone at the center of the Ptolemaic system model represent?
(a) The moon.
(d) The sun.
6. According to Galileo, who were the ones that were "no longer moved by reason"?
(a) "The men who turned their backs on science."
(b) "The skeptics."
(c) "The disciples of religion."
(d) "The dead."
7. In what city does Galileo teach mathematics in the opening of the play?
8. What do the strips of paper on the Ptolemaic system model have written on them?
(a) Names of galaxies.
(b) Names of stars.
(c) Names of planets.
(d) Names of moons.
9. What object does Andrea tell Galileo not to use because "You can prove anything with them"?
(a) A ball of yarn.
(b) An apple.
(c) An orange.
(d) A pear.
10. What does Cosimo call Andrea as they fight over the models?
11. In what country does the Curator tell Galileo that telescopes were sold in markets?
12. How old is Andrea in Scene I?
(a) 10 years old.
(b) 12 years old.
(c) 14 years old.
(d) 8 years old.
13. How many stars does Galileo find revolved around Jupiter?
(a) 4 stars.
(b) 6 stars.
(c) 3 stars.
(d) 1 stars.
14. Where does Scene V open?
(b) Hall of the Collegium Romanum in Rome.
(c) Galileo's home.
(d) The marketplace in Florence.
15. What does Galileo tell Sagredo the spots on stars were?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Andrea tell his mother had "worked out" that the Earth went around the sun?
2. According to the Curator, what republic refuses the Inquisition any say in scientific affairs?
3. Who is Virginia speaking with at the end of Scene VI?
4. Where does Scene VI open?
5. According to Galileo, if one believes in humanity, they believe in what?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)