|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sarti offer to the Grand Duke as his Court is leaving at the end of Scene IV?
(a) A milk.
(b) A flower.
(c) An apple.
(d) A biscuit.
2. What does Galileo use to represent the Earth when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
(a) A milk bottle.
(b) A loaf of bread.
(c) A chair.
3. What epicyclical orbit does Galileo draw on the blackboard when describing his discovery to the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
(b) The sun.
4. Why does the Grand Duke of Tuscany come to Galileo's home?
(a) To see Andrea.
(b) To talk to Santi.
(c) To see the telescope.
(d) To talk to Galileo about stars.
5. What year is it in the opening of the play?
6. When, according to Galileo, does he "get most inspiration"?
(a) When he read.
(b) When he thought about Virginia's dowry.
(c) When he looked at the stars.
(d) When he ate.
7. How much is the private tuition that Galileo initially was going to charge Ludovico?
(a) Ten scudi a month.
(b) Five scudi a month.
(c) Fifteen scudi a month.
(d) Fifty scudi a month.
8. What does Sarti hand to Galileo while he was telling her about the new discoveries in science?
(a) A letter of interest in Galileo's work.
(b) A bill from the bookstore.
(c) A bill from the milkman.
(d) A letter of recommendation.
9. Who enters the room after the "Very Old Cardinal" collapses?
(d) The Duke of Florence.
10. How old is Galileo when he was arguing with the Curator about salary?
(a) 27 years old.
(b) 76 years old.
(c) 35 years old.
(d) 46 years old.
11. When Sagredo asks Galileo about where God was, what is Galileo's answer?
(a) "On earth, buried deeply as to not be found."
(b) "On the moon."
(c) "In us, or nowhere."
(d) "On the brightest star."
12. According to the Curator, what republic refuses the Inquisition any say in scientific affairs?
13. What does Galileo ask the men to trust when looking through the telescope at the stars?
(a) Their hearts.
(c) Their eyes.
(d) Their minds.
14. Why does Andrea leave the room when Galileo was asking the men from the courts to look through the telescope?
(a) Andrea's nose started bleeding.
(b) Andrea needed to get water for the men.
(c) Andrea was embarassed for fighting with Cosimo.
(d) Andrea said the men were stupid.
15. What does the "Very Old Cardinal" call Galileo because of Galileo's claims?
(a) The world's most knowledgable scientist.
(b) An enemy of the human race.
(c) An enemy of God.
(d) A thief of religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ludovico Marsili's letter say he has studied?
2. What name does Galileo want to bestow on the new stars he found?
3. How old does Ludovico say the invention he saw in Holland was?
4. Where does Galileo place the Ptolemaic system for Andrea to find?
5. What does Galileo tell Andrea to put on the table? (Scene I)
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)