|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prediction does Galileo make to Andrea about astronomy?
(a) That "astronomy will be honored by Kings and Queens."
(b) That "astronomy will never falter him."
(c) That "astronomy will be challenged again and again."
(d) That "astronomy will be talked about in the market-places."
2. Which Dane determines the track of a comet?
(b) Tycho Brahe.
(d) Cosimo Medici.
3. How many fixed stars does Galileo tell Sagredo were in the constellation of Orion?
(a) 500 fixed stars.
(b) 5,000 fixed stars.
(c) 150 fixed stars.
(d) 700 fixed stars.
4. How old is Galileo's daughter, Virginia, in Scene II?
(a) 11 years old.
(b) 17 years old.
(c) 12 years old.
(d) 15 years old.
5. What bell rings as Virginia entered her father's room? (Scene III)
(a) A noon bell.
(b) A bell signaling lunch.
(c) A bell for early Mass.
(d) An evening bell.
6. When Sagredo asks Galileo about where God was, what is Galileo's answer?
(a) "On earth, buried deeply as to not be found."
(b) "On the brightest star."
(c) "On the moon."
(d) "In us, or nowhere."
7. At the ball, what mask does Barberini wear? (Scene VI)
(a) That of a jester.
(b) That of a mime.
(c) That of a dove.
(d) That of a tiger.
8. Who does the Philosopher say is "an authority recognized not only by the entire learning of antiquity, but also by the Holy Fathers of the Church"?
9. Why does Galileo tell Virginia that they move to Florence?
(a) So that he could sell his telescopes.
(b) To find her a husband.
(c) To work for the University.
(d) So he could be the Court Mathematician.
10. Who does Andrea tell his mother had "worked out" that the Earth went around the sun?
11. What does Galileo tell Sagredo the spots on stars were?
12. What does Sarti hand to Galileo while he was telling her about the new discoveries in science?
(a) A letter of recommendation.
(b) A letter of interest in Galileo's work.
(c) A bill from the bookstore.
(d) A bill from the milkman.
13. What epicyclical orbit does Galileo draw on the blackboard when describing his discovery to the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
(d) The sun.
14. How old is Galileo when he was arguing with the Curator about salary?
(a) 35 years old.
(b) 27 years old.
(c) 76 years old.
(d) 46 years old.
15. In the Ptolemaic system model, what does Galileo claim moved?
(a) Only the stars.
(c) Only the sun.
(d) Only the planets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Andrea leave the room when Galileo was asking the men from the courts to look through the telescope?
2. On what date did the inquisition put the Copernican teachings on the index?
3. Where does Scene VI open?
4. What does the Curator say that Galileo had invented for the city, calling the invention "excellent"?
5. When, according to Galileo, does he "get most inspiration"?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)