|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the Philosopher say is "Italy's and the Church's greatest astronomer"?
(a) Micheal Montrassauri.
(b) Christopher Clavius.
2. What is the name of the bailiff?
(a) Signor Franz.
(b) Signor Parente.
(c) Signor Franco.
(d) Signor Cambione.
3. While talking to Andrea about the ships that had found new continents, what does Galileo call the "dreaded ocean"?
(a) A pool.
(b) A lake.
(c) A puddle.
(d) A pond.
4. What does Cosimo call Andrea as they fight over the models?
5. Where does Virginia say she will be married?
6. What is the monk play-acting? (in the opening of Scene V.)
(a) The he was drunk.
(b) The he was Galileo.
(c) The he was looking at the sun through the telescope.
(d) That the Earth was spinning too fast.
7. What does Galileo tell the Curator would "save millions of scudi in navigation"?
(a) New ships.
(b) The telescope.
(c) New ocean maps.
(d) New star charts.
8. What does Sarti hand to Galileo while he was telling her about the new discoveries in science?
(a) A bill from the milkman.
(b) A letter of recommendation.
(c) A letter of interest in Galileo's work.
(d) A bill from the bookstore.
9. What sickness was the "Old Gentlemen" discussing as they climbed the stairs to see the telescope?
(a) Larsen Sydnrome.
(c) The plague.
10. How many globes surround the center stone?
(a) 8 globes.
(b) 9 globes.
(c) 10 globes.
(d) 12 globes.
11. What year is it in the opening of the play?
12. Who is Virginia speaking with at the end of Scene VI?
(a) The Inquisitor.
(c) Her fiance.
(d) Her father.
13. Who does Andrea tell his mother had "worked out" that the Earth went around the sun?
14. In the Ptolemaic system model, what does Galileo claim moved?
(a) Only the planets.
(c) Only the stars.
(d) Only the sun.
15. What do the Duke and his Court attend after leaving Galileo's home?
(a) An inquisition.
(b) A knighting.
(c) The Court Ball.
(d) A trial.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Galileo, when informed upon the Holy Office's findings, who accepted Galileo's observations?
2. Where does Scene IV open?
3. What epicyclical orbit does Galileo draw on the blackboard when describing his discovery to the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
4. While at the ball, what chapter of the Bible do both Cardinal Bellarmin and Cardinal Barberini quote?
5. What does the stone at the center of the Ptolemaic system model represent?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)