|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Dane determines the track of a comet?
(c) Cosimo Medici.
(d) Tycho Brahe.
2. In what city does Galileo teach mathematics in the opening of the play?
3. How old is Galileo when he was arguing with the Curator about salary?
(a) 46 years old.
(b) 76 years old.
(c) 27 years old.
(d) 35 years old.
4. What does Cosimo call Andrea as they fight over the models?
5. At the ball, what mask does Barberini wear? (Scene VI)
(a) That of a jester.
(b) That of a mime.
(c) That of a tiger.
(d) That of a dove.
6. After finding out about Ludovico's interests, how much does Galileo say he is going to charge him for private tuition?
(a) Ten scudi a month.
(b) Twenty scudi a month.
(c) Fifteen scudi a month.
7. What does Galileo say he bought instead of paying the milkman?
8. Who does the "Very Old Cardinal" claim was the "crown of creation"?
(a) The church.
(d) The sun.
9. What is the monk play-acting? (in the opening of Scene V.)
(a) The he was Galileo.
(b) The he was looking at the sun through the telescope.
(c) The he was drunk.
(d) That the Earth was spinning too fast.
10. What does the stone at the center of the Ptolemaic system model represent?
(a) The moon.
(c) The sun.
11. What does Galileo tell Andrea to put on the table? (Scene I)
12. Why does Andrea leave the room when Galileo was asking the men from the courts to look through the telescope?
(a) Andrea needed to get water for the men.
(b) Andrea said the men were stupid.
(c) Andrea was embarassed for fighting with Cosimo.
(d) Andrea's nose started bleeding.
13. Who is Virginia's Father Confessor?
(a) Father Michael from Saint Cornela.
(b) Father Christophorus from Saint Ursula.
(c) Father Franz from Notre Dame.
(d) Father Steine from Saint Mercy.
14. What is the name of the bailiff?
(a) Signor Parente.
(b) Signor Franco.
(c) Signor Cambione.
(d) Signor Franz.
15. According to Galileo, what "grows feeble from being abused"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What epicyclical orbit does Galileo draw on the blackboard when describing his discovery to the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
2. What do the Duke and his Court attend after leaving Galileo's home?
3. What does Galileo ask the men to trust when looking through the telescope at the stars?
4. What object does Andrea tell Galileo not to use because "You can prove anything with them"?
5. At the ball, what mask does Cardinal Bellarmin wear? (Scene VI)
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)