|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the monk play-acting? (in the opening of Scene V.)
(a) The he was Galileo.
(b) The he was drunk.
(c) The he was looking at the sun through the telescope.
(d) That the Earth was spinning too fast.
2. What is the name of the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
(a) His Royal Highness of Tuscany.
(b) Cosimo de' Medici.
(d) Signor Ragsord.
3. Who does the "Very Old Cardinal" claim was the "crown of creation"?
(b) The church.
(d) The sun.
4. What does the First Scholar see that Galileo dropped?
(a) A stone.
(b) A crystal.
(c) A map.
(d) A coin.
5. How many years did Sarti work for Monsignor Filippo before working for Galileo?
(a) 4 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 7 years.
6. What invention does Ludovico tell Galileo about that he has just seen in Holland?
(a) "That box that talks."
(b) "The glass that sees."
(c) "The horn that hears."
(d) "That funny tube."
7. When Sagredo asks Galileo about where God was, what is Galileo's answer?
(a) "On the moon."
(b) "On earth, buried deeply as to not be found."
(c) "On the brightest star."
(d) "In us, or nowhere."
8. Where does Virginia say she will be married?
9. While at the ball, what chapter of the Bible do both Cardinal Bellarmin and Cardinal Barberini quote?
10. How old does Ludovico say the invention he saw in Holland was?
(a) A week old.
(b) A few hours old.
(c) A month old.
(d) A few days old.
11. According to Galileo, who were the ones that were "no longer moved by reason"?
(a) "The skeptics."
(b) "The dead."
(c) "The men who turned their backs on science."
(d) "The disciples of religion."
12. Who is Virginia speaking with at the end of Scene VI?
(a) The Inquisitor.
(c) Her fiance.
(d) Her father.
13. When, according to Galileo, does he "get most inspiration"?
(a) When he read.
(b) When he thought about Virginia's dowry.
(c) When he looked at the stars.
(d) When he ate.
14. How many globes surround the center stone?
(a) 12 globes.
(b) 10 globes.
(c) 9 globes.
(d) 8 globes.
15. What does Galileo tell the Curator would "save millions of scudi in navigation"?
(a) New ocean maps.
(b) New ships.
(c) The telescope.
(d) New star charts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What chess piece does Galileo say took to "moving all over the board"?
2. Who does the Philosopher say is "an authority recognized not only by the entire learning of antiquity, but also by the Holy Fathers of the Church"?
3. What does Sarti hand to Galileo while he was telling her about the new discoveries in science?
4. According to Bellarmin, whose responsibility is it to interpret the Bible?
5. Whom does the Inquisitor have taking a transcript of the conversation between Galileo and Cardinals Bellarmin and Barberini?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)