|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who enters the room after the "Very Old Cardinal" collapses?
(c) The Duke of Florence.
2. Who does the Scholar claim is drunk again-while play-acting with the Monk?
(a) The Duke.
(c) Mother Earth.
3. How many globes surround the center stone?
(a) 8 globes.
(b) 10 globes.
(c) 9 globes.
(d) 12 globes.
4. What do the strips of paper on the Ptolemaic system model have written on them?
(a) Names of galaxies.
(b) Names of planets.
(c) Names of moons.
(d) Names of stars.
5. What prediction does Galileo make to Andrea about astronomy?
(a) That "astronomy will be challenged again and again."
(b) That "astronomy will never falter him."
(c) That "astronomy will be talked about in the market-places."
(d) That "astronomy will be honored by Kings and Queens."
6. Who is Virginia's Father Confessor?
(a) Father Franz from Notre Dame.
(b) Father Steine from Saint Mercy.
(c) Father Christophorus from Saint Ursula.
(d) Father Michael from Saint Cornela.
7. What does Galileo tell the Curator would "save millions of scudi in navigation"?
(a) New ocean maps.
(b) New ships.
(c) New star charts.
(d) The telescope.
8. What do Cosimo and Andrea break during their fighting on the floor?
(a) A chair.
(b) The telescope.
(c) The Ptolemaic model.
(d) A star model.
9. What does Sarti offer to the Grand Duke as his Court is leaving at the end of Scene IV?
(a) A flower.
(b) An apple.
(c) A biscuit.
(d) A milk.
10. On what date did the inquisition put the Copernican teachings on the index?
(a) October 28, 1629.
(b) March 15, 1616.
(c) December 25, 1616.
(d) April 1, 1618.
11. How old is Galileo when he was arguing with the Curator about salary?
(a) 27 years old.
(b) 76 years old.
(c) 46 years old.
(d) 35 years old.
12. Who does Andrea tell his mother had "worked out" that the Earth went around the sun?
13. What is the name of the bailiff?
(a) Signor Franz.
(b) Signor Franco.
(c) Signor Parente.
(d) Signor Cambione.
14. What does Galileo say he bought instead of paying the milkman?
15. What is the name of the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
(a) His Royal Highness of Tuscany.
(b) Signor Ragsord.
(d) Cosimo de' Medici.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the "Very Old Cardinal" call Galileo because of Galileo's claims?
2. While talking to Andrea about the ships that had found new continents, what does Galileo call the "dreaded ocean"?
3. How many stars does Galileo find revolved around Jupiter?
4. What does Galileo use to represent the sun when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
5. According to Galileo, if one believes in humanity, they believe in what?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)