Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Galileo use to represent the sun when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
(a) A table.
(b) A chair.
(c) A lamp.
(d) A wash basin.
2. Who does the Chamberlain say is the name of the Astronomer-in-Chief at the Papal College in Rome?
(a) Father Christophe Cleminez.
(b) Father Franz Wistne.
(c) Father Micheal Measter.
(d) Father Christopher Clavius.
3. What does Galileo say he bought instead of paying the milkman?
4. Who enters the room after the "Very Old Cardinal" collapses?
(d) The Duke of Florence.
5. What is the date of the opening of Scene III?
(a) January 10, 1610.
(b) April 17, 1615.
(c) January 10, 1590.
(d) April1, 1611.
6. What object does Andrea tell Galileo not to use because "You can prove anything with them"?
(a) A pear.
(b) An apple.
(c) An orange.
(d) A ball of yarn.
7. Why does Andrea leave the room when Galileo was asking the men from the courts to look through the telescope?
(a) Andrea's nose started bleeding.
(b) Andrea said the men were stupid.
(c) Andrea needed to get water for the men.
(d) Andrea was embarassed for fighting with Cosimo.
8. How many years did Sarti work for Monsignor Filippo before working for Galileo?
(a) 4 years.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 7 years.
9. What are the globes on the Ptolemaic system model made of?
10. According to Bellarmin, whose teachings have been found, by the Holy Office, to be "futile, foolish and heretical"?
(a) Plato's teachings.
(b) Copernicus' teachings.
(c) Socrates' teachings.
(d) Galileo's teachings.
11. What prediction does Galileo make to Andrea about astronomy?
(a) That "astronomy will be honored by Kings and Queens."
(b) That "astronomy will never falter him."
(c) That "astronomy will be talked about in the market-places."
(d) That "astronomy will be challenged again and again."
12. What does Sarti hand to Galileo while he was telling her about the new discoveries in science?
(a) A bill from the bookstore.
(b) A letter of interest in Galileo's work.
(c) A letter of recommendation.
(d) A bill from the milkman.
13. When, according to Galileo, does he "get most inspiration"?
(a) When he ate.
(b) When he thought about Virginia's dowry.
(c) When he read.
(d) When he looked at the stars.
14. According to Galileo, who were the ones that were "no longer moved by reason"?
(a) "The disciples of religion."
(b) "The skeptics."
(c) "The men who turned their backs on science."
(d) "The dead."
15. What do the strips of paper on the Ptolemaic system model have written on them?
(a) Names of stars.
(b) Names of moons.
(c) Names of galaxies.
(d) Names of planets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cosimo call Andrea as they fight over the models?
2. What year is it in the opening of the play?
3. Where does Galileo place the Ptolemaic system for Andrea to find?
4. What epicyclical orbit does Galileo draw on the blackboard when describing his discovery to the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
5. According to Galileo, when informed upon the Holy Office's findings, who accepted Galileo's observations?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)