|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Andrea leave the room when Galileo was asking the men from the courts to look through the telescope?
(a) Andrea said the men were stupid.
(b) Andrea's nose started bleeding.
(c) Andrea was embarassed for fighting with Cosimo.
(d) Andrea needed to get water for the men.
2. Where does Scene IV open?
(a) Virginia's home.
(b) The University in Florence.
(c) The marketplace.
(d) Galileo's home in Florence.
3. According to the "Very Thin Monk," what is equated with the home of the human race?
(b) A wondering star.
(c) The moons of Jupiter.
(d) The sun.
4. What is the name of the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
(a) His Royal Highness of Tuscany.
(c) Signor Ragsord.
(d) Cosimo de' Medici.
5. According to Bellarmin, whose responsibility is it to interpret the Bible?
(b) The theologians of the Holy Church.
(d) The Pope's.
6. What does Galileo use to represent the sun when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
(a) A wash basin.
(b) A lamp.
(c) A table.
(d) A chair.
7. According to Galileo, if one believes in humanity, they believe in what?
(a) "That mankind is the center of all."
(b) "Common sense."
(d) "Something bigger than himself."
8. Where did Ludovico Marsili's letter say he has studied?
9. How many fixed stars does Galileo tell Sagredo were in the constellation of Orion?
(a) 700 fixed stars.
(b) 500 fixed stars.
(c) 150 fixed stars.
(d) 5,000 fixed stars.
10. In the Ptolemaic system model, what does Galileo claim moved?
(b) Only the planets.
(c) Only the stars.
(d) Only the sun.
11. What is the monk play-acting? (in the opening of Scene V.)
(a) The he was Galileo.
(b) The he was looking at the sun through the telescope.
(c) That the Earth was spinning too fast.
(d) The he was drunk.
12. What does Ludovico tell Galileo were his interests?
13. What does the "Very Old Cardinal" call Galileo because of Galileo's claims?
(a) An enemy of God.
(b) An enemy of the human race.
(c) A thief of religion.
(d) The world's most knowledgable scientist.
14. When discussing Galileo's findings regarding the movement of stars, who did the Philosopher think Signer Federzoni was?
(a) Galileo's son-in-law.
(b) Galileo's student.
(c) Galileo's lens-grinder.
(d) Galileo's manservant.
15. What does Galileo tell Sagredo the spots on stars were?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Cosimo and Andrea break during their fighting on the floor?
2. Who does Andrea tell his mother had "worked out" that the Earth went around the sun?
3. According to Galileo, what "grows feeble from being abused"?
4. While at the ball, what chapter of the Bible do both Cardinal Bellarmin and Cardinal Barberini quote?
5. What does Galileo use to represent the Earth when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)