|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the ball, what mask does Barberini wear? (Scene VI)
(a) That of a jester.
(b) That of a mime.
(c) That of a tiger.
(d) That of a dove.
2. How many globes surround the center stone?
(a) 10 globes.
(b) 9 globes.
(c) 12 globes.
(d) 8 globes.
3. What is the name of the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
(a) Cosimo de' Medici.
(b) His Royal Highness of Tuscany.
(d) Signor Ragsord.
4. Who does Andrea tell his mother had "worked out" that the Earth went around the sun?
5. What sickness was the "Old Gentlemen" discussing as they climbed the stairs to see the telescope?
(a) Larsen Sydnrome.
(c) The plague.
6. What year is it in the opening of the play?
7. What is the monk play-acting? (in the opening of Scene V.)
(a) That the Earth was spinning too fast.
(b) The he was Galileo.
(c) The he was looking at the sun through the telescope.
(d) The he was drunk.
8. Where does Scene IV open?
(a) Virginia's home.
(b) The University in Florence.
(c) The marketplace.
(d) Galileo's home in Florence.
9. What happens to Signor Giordano Bruno "because he was not a Venetian and also had no appointment here"?
(a) He was burned at the stake.
(b) He was hung.
(c) He was imprisoned.
(d) He was banished from the city.
10. What do the strips of paper on the Ptolemaic system model have written on them?
(a) Names of stars.
(b) Names of moons.
(c) Names of planets.
(d) Names of galaxies.
11. How old is Galileo's daughter, Virginia, in Scene II?
(a) 12 years old.
(b) 17 years old.
(c) 15 years old.
(d) 11 years old.
12. How many fixed stars does Galileo tell Sagredo were in the constellation of Orion?
(a) 150 fixed stars.
(b) 500 fixed stars.
(c) 700 fixed stars.
(d) 5,000 fixed stars.
13. What does Cosimo call Andrea as they fight over the models?
14. When discussing Galileo's findings regarding the movement of stars, who did the Philosopher think Signer Federzoni was?
(a) Galileo's manservant.
(b) Galileo's son-in-law.
(c) Galileo's lens-grinder.
(d) Galileo's student.
15. Where does Galileo tell Sagredo that the light from the moon comes from?
(b) The sun.
(c) The moon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Curator say that Galileo had invented for the city, calling the invention "excellent"?
2. Why does Andrea leave the room when Galileo was asking the men from the courts to look through the telescope?
3. What do the Duke and his Court attend after leaving Galileo's home?
4. Whom does the Inquisitor have taking a transcript of the conversation between Galileo and Cardinals Bellarmin and Barberini?
5. According to Bellarmin, whose teachings have been found, by the Holy Office, to be "futile, foolish and heretical"?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)