|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What object does Andrea tell Galileo not to use because "You can prove anything with them"?
(a) An orange.
(b) A pear.
(c) A ball of yarn.
(d) An apple.
2. At the ball, what mask does Barberini wear? (Scene VI)
(a) That of a dove.
(b) That of a tiger.
(c) That of a mime.
(d) That of a jester.
3. Who enters the room after the "Very Old Cardinal" collapses?
(c) The Duke of Florence.
4. On what date did the inquisition put the Copernican teachings on the index?
(a) December 25, 1616.
(b) April 1, 1618.
(c) October 28, 1629.
(d) March 15, 1616.
5. What name does Galileo want to bestow on the new stars he found?
6. What epicyclical orbit does Galileo draw on the blackboard when describing his discovery to the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
(a) The sun.
7. What does Galileo use to represent the sun when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
(a) A chair.
(b) A table.
(c) A lamp.
(d) A wash basin.
8. What bell rings as Virginia entered her father's room? (Scene III)
(a) A bell for early Mass.
(b) A noon bell.
(c) A bell signaling lunch.
(d) An evening bell.
9. At the ball, what mask does Cardinal Bellarmin wear? (Scene VI)
(a) That of a clown.
(b) That of an eagle.
(c) That of a lamb.
(d) That of a wolf.
10. What does Galileo use to represent the Earth when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
(a) A chair.
(c) A milk bottle.
(d) A loaf of bread.
11. When Sagredo asks Galileo about where God was, what is Galileo's answer?
(a) "On the brightest star."
(b) "In us, or nowhere."
(c) "On earth, buried deeply as to not be found."
(d) "On the moon."
12. What does the First Scholar see that Galileo dropped?
(a) A map.
(b) A crystal.
(c) A coin.
(d) A stone.
13. According to Bellarmin, whose teachings have been found, by the Holy Office, to be "futile, foolish and heretical"?
(a) Plato's teachings.
(b) Socrates' teachings.
(c) Copernicus' teachings.
(d) Galileo's teachings.
14. Where did Ludovico Marsili's letter say he has studied?
15. According to Galileo, when informed upon the Holy Office's findings, who accepted Galileo's observations?
(a) Cardinal Bellarmin.
(b) The astronomers of the Collegium Romanum.
(c) The Pope.
(d) The University of Florence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the "Very Old Cardinal" claim was the "crown of creation"?
2. According to Galileo, what "grows feeble from being abused"?
3. What does Cosimo call Andrea as they fight over the models?
4. What is the name of the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
5. What is the monk play-acting? (in the opening of Scene V.)
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)