Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ludovico tell Galileo were his interests?
2. How many fixed stars does Galileo tell Sagredo were in the constellation of Orion?
(a) 700 fixed stars.
(b) 5,000 fixed stars.
(c) 150 fixed stars.
(d) 500 fixed stars.
3. On what date did the inquisition put the Copernican teachings on the index?
(a) March 15, 1616.
(b) April 1, 1618.
(c) October 28, 1629.
(d) December 25, 1616.
4. What is the date of the opening of Scene III?
(a) January 10, 1590.
(b) April 17, 1615.
(c) January 10, 1610.
(d) April1, 1611.
5. Who does the Scholar claim is drunk again-while play-acting with the Monk?
(a) The Duke.
(b) Mother Earth.
6. Who is Virginia speaking with at the end of Scene VI?
(a) Her fiance.
(b) The Inquisitor.
(c) Her father.
7. Who enters the room after the "Very Old Cardinal" collapses?
(b) The Duke of Florence.
8. What does Sarti hand to Galileo while he was telling her about the new discoveries in science?
(a) A letter of interest in Galileo's work.
(b) A bill from the bookstore.
(c) A letter of recommendation.
(d) A bill from the milkman.
9. At the ball, what mask does Barberini wear? (Scene VI)
(a) That of a mime.
(b) That of a dove.
(c) That of a jester.
(d) That of a tiger.
10. Where does Scene VI open?
(a) Galileo's home.
(b) The Court of Florence.
(c) Ludovico's home.
(d) Cardinal Bellarmin's House in Rome.
11. Who does the Philosopher say is "an authority recognized not only by the entire learning of antiquity, but also by the Holy Fathers of the Church"?
12. At the ball, what mask does Cardinal Bellarmin wear? (Scene VI)
(a) That of a wolf.
(b) That of an eagle.
(c) That of a lamb.
(d) That of a clown.
13. Why does Galileo tell Virginia that they move to Florence?
(a) To work for the University.
(b) So that he could sell his telescopes.
(c) So he could be the Court Mathematician.
(d) To find her a husband.
14. What does Galileo use to represent the Earth when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
(a) A loaf of bread.
(b) A milk bottle.
(d) A chair.
15. In what city does Galileo teach mathematics in the opening of the play?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Andrea tell his mother had "worked out" that the Earth went around the sun?
2. How old is Galileo when he was arguing with the Curator about salary?
3. According to Galileo, if one believes in humanity, they believe in what?
4. What name does Galileo want to bestow on the new stars he found?
5. What does Galileo tell Andrea to put on the table? (Scene I)
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)