|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the "Very Old Cardinal" call Galileo because of Galileo's claims?
(a) The world's most knowledgable scientist.
(b) A thief of religion.
(c) An enemy of the human race.
(d) An enemy of God.
2. What does Sarti offer to the Grand Duke as his Court is leaving at the end of Scene IV?
(a) A biscuit.
(b) A milk.
(c) An apple.
(d) A flower.
3. What chess piece does Galileo say took to "moving all over the board"?
(a) The castle.
(b) The knight.
(c) The King.
(d) The pawn.
4. What happens to Signor Giordano Bruno "because he was not a Venetian and also had no appointment here"?
(a) He was imprisoned.
(b) He was banished from the city.
(c) He was hung.
(d) He was burned at the stake.
5. According to the Curator, what republic refuses the Inquisition any say in scientific affairs?
6. Where does Scene VI open?
(a) Ludovico's home.
(b) The Court of Florence.
(c) Cardinal Bellarmin's House in Rome.
(d) Galileo's home.
7. What does Galileo tell the Curator would "save millions of scudi in navigation"?
(a) The telescope.
(b) New star charts.
(c) New ocean maps.
(d) New ships.
8. What does Galileo use to represent the Earth when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
(a) A loaf of bread.
(c) A chair.
(d) A milk bottle.
9. Where did Ludovico Marsili's letter say he has studied?
10. What bell rings as Virginia entered her father's room? (Scene III)
(a) A bell for early Mass.
(b) An evening bell.
(c) A bell signaling lunch.
(d) A noon bell.
11. Who does the Philosopher say is "an authority recognized not only by the entire learning of antiquity, but also by the Holy Fathers of the Church"?
12. Why does the Grand Duke of Tuscany come to Galileo's home?
(a) To see Andrea.
(b) To talk to Santi.
(c) To see the telescope.
(d) To talk to Galileo about stars.
13. While at the ball, what chapter of the Bible do both Cardinal Bellarmin and Cardinal Barberini quote?
14. How much is the private tuition that Galileo initially was going to charge Ludovico?
(a) Ten scudi a month.
(b) Five scudi a month.
(c) Fifty scudi a month.
(d) Fifteen scudi a month.
15. On what date did the inquisition put the Copernican teachings on the index?
(a) March 15, 1616.
(b) December 25, 1616.
(c) October 28, 1629.
(d) April 1, 1618.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bellarmin, whose responsibility is it to interpret the Bible?
2. Which Dane determines the track of a comet?
3. What epicyclical orbit does Galileo draw on the blackboard when describing his discovery to the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
4. Whom does the Inquisitor have taking a transcript of the conversation between Galileo and Cardinals Bellarmin and Barberini?
5. What year is it in the opening of the play?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)