|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the ball, what mask does Cardinal Bellarmin wear? (Scene VI)
(a) That of a lamb.
(b) That of a clown.
(c) That of an eagle.
(d) That of a wolf.
2. What does Galileo tell the Curator would "save millions of scudi in navigation"?
(a) New ocean maps.
(b) The telescope.
(c) New star charts.
(d) New ships.
3. Why does Galileo tell Virginia that they move to Florence?
(a) To work for the University.
(b) So that he could sell his telescopes.
(c) To find her a husband.
(d) So he could be the Court Mathematician.
4. According to Galileo, what "grows feeble from being abused"?
5. How old is Galileo's daughter, Virginia, in Scene II?
(a) 17 years old.
(b) 15 years old.
(c) 12 years old.
(d) 11 years old.
6. Why does the Grand Duke of Tuscany come to Galileo's home?
(a) To see the telescope.
(b) To talk to Santi.
(c) To talk to Galileo about stars.
(d) To see Andrea.
7. Where does Galileo tell Sagredo that the light from the moon comes from?
(b) The sun.
(c) The moon.
8. Who does the "Very Old Cardinal" claim was the "crown of creation"?
(a) The church.
(c) The sun.
9. While talking to Andrea about the ships that had found new continents, what does Galileo call the "dreaded ocean"?
(a) A lake.
(b) A puddle.
(c) A pool.
(d) A pond.
10. According to the Curator, what republic refuses the Inquisition any say in scientific affairs?
11. How old is Galileo when he was arguing with the Curator about salary?
(a) 35 years old.
(b) 76 years old.
(c) 46 years old.
(d) 27 years old.
12. What does Ludovico tell Galileo were his interests?
13. In the Ptolemaic system model, what does Galileo claim moved?
(a) Only the sun.
(c) Only the planets.
(d) Only the stars.
14. According to Galileo, when informed upon the Holy Office's findings, who accepted Galileo's observations?
(a) The astronomers of the Collegium Romanum.
(b) The University of Florence.
(c) The Pope.
(d) Cardinal Bellarmin.
15. How many stars does Galileo find revolved around Jupiter?
(a) 4 stars.
(b) 1 stars.
(c) 6 stars.
(d) 3 stars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Cosimo and Andrea break during their fighting on the floor?
2. According to Galileo, who were the ones that were "no longer moved by reason"?
3. What does Galileo use to represent the sun when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
4. What does Sarti offer to the Grand Duke as his Court is leaving at the end of Scene IV?
5. What chess piece does Galileo say took to "moving all over the board"?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)