|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Galileo's daughter, Virginia, in Scene II?
(a) 15 years old.
(b) 17 years old.
(c) 12 years old.
(d) 11 years old.
2. What are the globes on the Ptolemaic system model made of?
3. What is the monk play-acting? (in the opening of Scene V.)
(a) That the Earth was spinning too fast.
(b) The he was looking at the sun through the telescope.
(c) The he was Galileo.
(d) The he was drunk.
4. According to Bellarmin, whose teachings have been found, by the Holy Office, to be "futile, foolish and heretical"?
(a) Copernicus' teachings.
(b) Plato's teachings.
(c) Socrates' teachings.
(d) Galileo's teachings.
5. Who is Virginia's Father Confessor?
(a) Father Christophorus from Saint Ursula.
(b) Father Franz from Notre Dame.
(c) Father Steine from Saint Mercy.
(d) Father Michael from Saint Cornela.
6. What does Galileo ask the men to trust when looking through the telescope at the stars?
(a) Their minds.
(c) Their hearts.
(d) Their eyes.
7. Who does the "Very Old Cardinal" claim was the "crown of creation"?
(b) The church.
(c) The sun.
8. What bell rings as Virginia entered her father's room? (Scene III)
(a) A bell signaling lunch.
(b) A bell for early Mass.
(c) A noon bell.
(d) An evening bell.
9. According to Galileo, when informed upon the Holy Office's findings, who accepted Galileo's observations?
(a) The astronomers of the Collegium Romanum.
(b) Cardinal Bellarmin.
(c) The Pope.
(d) The University of Florence.
10. What epicyclical orbit does Galileo draw on the blackboard when describing his discovery to the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
(d) The sun.
11. What does Galileo use to represent the Earth when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
(a) A milk bottle.
(b) A loaf of bread.
(c) A chair.
12. According to Galileo, who were the ones that were "no longer moved by reason"?
(a) "The disciples of religion."
(b) "The dead."
(c) "The men who turned their backs on science."
(d) "The skeptics."
13. What chess piece does Galileo say took to "moving all over the board"?
(a) The King.
(b) The knight.
(c) The castle.
(d) The pawn.
14. What does the Curator say that Galileo had invented for the city, calling the invention "excellent"?
(a) A telescope.
(b) A clock.
(c) A drainage system.
(d) A water pump.
15. At the ball, what mask does Cardinal Bellarmin wear? (Scene VI)
(a) That of a clown.
(b) That of an eagle.
(c) That of a wolf.
(d) That of a lamb.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Grand Duke of Tuscany come to Galileo's home?
2. What is the date of the opening of Scene III?
3. What does Galileo use to represent the sun when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
4. While talking to Andrea about the ships that had found new continents, what does Galileo call the "dreaded ocean"?
5. While at the ball, what chapter of the Bible do both Cardinal Bellarmin and Cardinal Barberini quote?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)