|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Galileo tell the Curator would "save millions of scudi in navigation"?
(a) New ocean maps.
(b) New star charts.
(c) The telescope.
(d) New ships.
2. According to Galileo, what "grows feeble from being abused"?
3. On what date did the inquisition put the Copernican teachings on the index?
(a) October 28, 1629.
(b) December 25, 1616.
(c) March 15, 1616.
(d) April 1, 1618.
4. What epicyclical orbit does Galileo draw on the blackboard when describing his discovery to the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
(c) The sun.
5. Where did Ludovico Marsili's letter say he has studied?
6. What does the Curator say that Galileo had invented for the city, calling the invention "excellent"?
(a) A water pump.
(b) A telescope.
(c) A clock.
(d) A drainage system.
7. When discussing Galileo's findings regarding the movement of stars, who did the Philosopher think Signer Federzoni was?
(a) Galileo's son-in-law.
(b) Galileo's lens-grinder.
(c) Galileo's student.
(d) Galileo's manservant.
8. Where does Scene VI open?
(a) Ludovico's home.
(b) Cardinal Bellarmin's House in Rome.
(c) The Court of Florence.
(d) Galileo's home.
9. How many fixed stars does Galileo tell Sagredo were in the constellation of Orion?
(a) 5,000 fixed stars.
(b) 700 fixed stars.
(c) 500 fixed stars.
(d) 150 fixed stars.
10. In what country does the Curator tell Galileo that telescopes were sold in markets?
11. According to Galileo, when informed upon the Holy Office's findings, who accepted Galileo's observations?
(a) The University of Florence.
(b) The Pope.
(c) Cardinal Bellarmin.
(d) The astronomers of the Collegium Romanum.
12. What sickness was the "Old Gentlemen" discussing as they climbed the stairs to see the telescope?
(a) The plague.
(d) Larsen Sydnrome.
13. Why does the Grand Duke of Tuscany come to Galileo's home?
(a) To talk to Santi.
(b) To talk to Galileo about stars.
(c) To see the telescope.
(d) To see Andrea.
14. What does Sarti hand to Galileo while he was telling her about the new discoveries in science?
(a) A letter of interest in Galileo's work.
(b) A bill from the milkman.
(c) A letter of recommendation.
(d) A bill from the bookstore.
15. What does Galileo use to represent the Earth when explaining the rotation of the Earth to Andrea?
(a) A loaf of bread.
(c) A milk bottle.
(d) A chair.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Andrea in Scene I?
2. Who does the Scholar claim is drunk again-while play-acting with the Monk?
3. What happens to Signor Giordano Bruno "because he was not a Venetian and also had no appointment here"?
4. Which Dane determines the track of a comet?
5. According to Galileo, if one believes in humanity, they believe in what?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)