|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Galileo say he bought instead of paying the milkman?
2. What does Ludovico tell Galileo were his interests?
3. What object does Andrea tell Galileo not to use because "You can prove anything with them"?
(a) A ball of yarn.
(b) An orange.
(c) An apple.
(d) A pear.
4. Why does Galileo tell Virginia that they move to Florence?
(a) So that he could sell his telescopes.
(b) To find her a husband.
(c) So he could be the Court Mathematician.
(d) To work for the University.
5. When discussing Galileo's findings regarding the movement of stars, who did the Philosopher think Signer Federzoni was?
(a) Galileo's student.
(b) Galileo's son-in-law.
(c) Galileo's lens-grinder.
(d) Galileo's manservant.
6. What invention does Ludovico tell Galileo about that he has just seen in Holland?
(a) "That box that talks."
(b) "That funny tube."
(c) "The horn that hears."
(d) "The glass that sees."
7. What does the stone at the center of the Ptolemaic system model represent?
(c) The moon.
(d) The sun.
8. What do the strips of paper on the Ptolemaic system model have written on them?
(a) Names of stars.
(b) Names of planets.
(c) Names of galaxies.
(d) Names of moons.
9. Which Dane determines the track of a comet?
(a) Tycho Brahe.
(d) Cosimo Medici.
10. In what city does Galileo teach mathematics in the opening of the play?
11. According to Galileo, when informed upon the Holy Office's findings, who accepted Galileo's observations?
(a) Cardinal Bellarmin.
(b) The Pope.
(c) The University of Florence.
(d) The astronomers of the Collegium Romanum.
12. Who does the Scholar claim is drunk again-while play-acting with the Monk?
(c) The Duke.
(d) Mother Earth.
13. According to the Curator, what republic refuses the Inquisition any say in scientific affairs?
14. According to Galileo, who were the ones that were "no longer moved by reason"?
(a) "The dead."
(b) "The disciples of religion."
(c) "The skeptics."
(d) "The men who turned their backs on science."
15. When, according to Galileo, does he "get most inspiration"?
(a) When he ate.
(b) When he read.
(c) When he thought about Virginia's dowry.
(d) When he looked at the stars.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much is the private tuition that Galileo initially was going to charge Ludovico?
2. What does Sarti hand to Galileo while he was telling her about the new discoveries in science?
3. Whom does the Inquisitor have taking a transcript of the conversation between Galileo and Cardinals Bellarmin and Barberini?
4. Why does the Grand Duke of Tuscany come to Galileo's home?
5. Where did Ludovico Marsili's letter say he has studied?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)