|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Andrea leave the room when Galileo was asking the men from the courts to look through the telescope?
(a) Andrea was embarassed for fighting with Cosimo.
(b) Andrea needed to get water for the men.
(c) Andrea said the men were stupid.
(d) Andrea's nose started bleeding.
2. What does the "Very Old Cardinal" call Galileo because of Galileo's claims?
(a) An enemy of the human race.
(b) A thief of religion.
(c) An enemy of God.
(d) The world's most knowledgable scientist.
3. What does Galileo tell Andrea to put on the table? (Scene I)
4. What does Sarti offer to the Grand Duke as his Court is leaving at the end of Scene IV?
(a) An apple.
(b) A biscuit.
(c) A flower.
(d) A milk.
5. Who is Virginia's Father Confessor?
(a) Father Steine from Saint Mercy.
(b) Father Franz from Notre Dame.
(c) Father Christophorus from Saint Ursula.
(d) Father Michael from Saint Cornela.
6. Which Dane determines the track of a comet?
(a) Tycho Brahe.
(c) Cosimo Medici.
7. At the ball, what mask does Cardinal Bellarmin wear? (Scene VI)
(a) That of a lamb.
(b) That of an eagle.
(c) That of a clown.
(d) That of a wolf.
8. How old is Andrea in Scene I?
(a) 12 years old.
(b) 10 years old.
(c) 8 years old.
(d) 14 years old.
9. When Sagredo asks Galileo about where God was, what is Galileo's answer?
(a) "In us, or nowhere."
(b) "On the moon."
(c) "On earth, buried deeply as to not be found."
(d) "On the brightest star."
10. What does Galileo say he bought instead of paying the milkman?
11. Who does the Philosopher say is "an authority recognized not only by the entire learning of antiquity, but also by the Holy Fathers of the Church"?
12. After finding out about Ludovico's interests, how much does Galileo say he is going to charge him for private tuition?
(a) Fifteen scudi a month.
(b) Ten scudi a month.
(d) Twenty scudi a month.
13. What bell rings as Virginia entered her father's room? (Scene III)
(a) An evening bell.
(b) A noon bell.
(c) A bell signaling lunch.
(d) A bell for early Mass.
14. What does Galileo tell Sagredo the spots on stars were?
15. Who does the Scholar claim is drunk again-while play-acting with the Monk?
(a) Mother Earth.
(b) The Duke.
Short Answer Questions
1. While talking to Andrea about the ships that had found new continents, what does Galileo call the "dreaded ocean"?
2. Where does Scene IV open?
3. What does Galileo tell the Curator would "save millions of scudi in navigation"?
4. What year is it in the opening of Scene V?
5. Who is Virginia speaking with at the end of Scene VI?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)