|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the ball, what mask does Cardinal Bellarmin wear? (Scene VI)
(a) That of a clown.
(b) That of a wolf.
(c) That of a lamb.
(d) That of an eagle.
2. What does the First Scholar see that Galileo dropped?
(a) A coin.
(b) A crystal.
(c) A stone.
(d) A map.
3. What do the strips of paper on the Ptolemaic system model have written on them?
(a) Names of stars.
(b) Names of galaxies.
(c) Names of planets.
(d) Names of moons.
4. How much is the private tuition that Galileo initially was going to charge Ludovico?
(a) Ten scudi a month.
(b) Fifty scudi a month.
(c) Fifteen scudi a month.
(d) Five scudi a month.
5. According to Galileo, who were the ones that were "no longer moved by reason"?
(a) "The dead."
(b) "The disciples of religion."
(c) "The skeptics."
(d) "The men who turned their backs on science."
6. According to the "Very Thin Monk," what is equated with the home of the human race?
(a) A wondering star.
(b) The sun.
(c) The moons of Jupiter.
7. Which Dane determines the track of a comet?
(a) Tycho Brahe.
(d) Cosimo Medici.
8. What is the name of the Grand Duke of Tuscany?
(b) His Royal Highness of Tuscany.
(c) Cosimo de' Medici.
(d) Signor Ragsord.
9. According to Galileo, when informed upon the Holy Office's findings, who accepted Galileo's observations?
(a) The astronomers of the Collegium Romanum.
(b) The University of Florence.
(c) Cardinal Bellarmin.
(d) The Pope.
10. How old is Andrea in Scene I?
(a) 10 years old.
(b) 14 years old.
(c) 8 years old.
(d) 12 years old.
11. Who does Andrea tell his mother had "worked out" that the Earth went around the sun?
12. According to Galileo, if one believes in humanity, they believe in what?
(a) "Common sense."
(b) "That mankind is the center of all."
(d) "Something bigger than himself."
13. What does Galileo tell Andrea to put on the table? (Scene I)
14. When discussing Galileo's findings regarding the movement of stars, who did the Philosopher think Signer Federzoni was?
(a) Galileo's manservant.
(b) Galileo's student.
(c) Galileo's son-in-law.
(d) Galileo's lens-grinder.
15. Where does Virginia say she will be married?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Galileo place the Ptolemaic system for Andrea to find?
2. What invention does Ludovico tell Galileo about that he has just seen in Holland?
3. At the ball, what mask does Barberini wear? (Scene VI)
4. What sickness was the "Old Gentlemen" discussing as they climbed the stairs to see the telescope?
5. Who does the Philosopher say is "Italy's and the Church's greatest astronomer"?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)