|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scenes XI - XII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the "Very Old Cardinal" call Galileo because of Galileo's claims?
(a) The world's most knowledgable scientist.
(b) An enemy of the human race.
(c) An enemy of God.
(d) A thief of religion.
2. What does the Pope tell the Inquisitor that Galileo could not say "no" to?
(a) "To an old friend and a new friend."
(b) "To an old friend or a new invention."
(c) "To an old idea and a new vision."
(d) "To an old wine or a new idea."
3. Who enters the room after the "Very Old Cardinal" collapses?
(b) The Duke of Florence.
4. Where does Scene IV open?
(a) The University in Florence.
(b) Galileo's home in Florence.
(c) The marketplace.
(d) Virginia's home.
5. Who does the monk say that he has to have permission from before Galileo can see an eye doctor?
(a) Cardinal Bellarmin.
(b) The Pope.
(c) The Rector.
(d) Monsignor Carpula.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Galileo use to make the iron needle float on the surface of water without sinking?
2. According to Galileo, if one believes in humanity, they believe in what?
3. According to Bellarmin, whose teachings have been found, by the Holy Office, to be "futile, foolish and heretical"?
4. What do the strips of paper on the Ptolemaic system model have written on them?
5. What does the new Pope, at the opening of Scene VIII, want Galileo to study?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)