|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened near the time Richard published his first book?
2. With what does Philip Lentz want to test implementation B?
3. What is Richard having difficulty with in the present moment, in the beginning of section II?
4. Who is Ram Gupta?
5. What does Richard conclude about Lentz's feelings about working together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Helen's relationship with music?
2. What does Richard think about the lecture Lentz gives?
3. What does Lentz do when Richard asks him about his wife?
4. What is the setting of "Galatea 2.2"?
5. How does Richard Powers use flashbacks in his narrative?
6. What does Richard notice during his first lunch with Lentz and the other researchers?
7. What were Richard's thoughts about getting married when he was with C.?
8. What does Richard remember about meeting C., in section II?
9. What debate do Richard and Lentz have over Helen in the beginning of section X?
10. Why does Helen ultimately shut herself down?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Richard and Helen are both creatures (in addition to the author) who live by making things with words. What are the advantages of creating worlds with words, and what are the disadvantages?
Essay Topic 2
Helen ultimately shuts herself down because she is not adjusted to the real world, just the world of literature and Richard's personality. To what extent is this an allegory for machines and even for modern human culture? Are people today in the same position as Helen?
Essay Topic 3
How are Richard's and Helen's experiences parallel, insofar as Richard struggled with Dutch, and struggled to find a language he and C. could speak together in their relationship, and Helen struggles to generate analysis of literature? How are they similar? How are they different?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)