|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard conclude about Lentz's feelings about working together?
2. What does Richard do at his office night?
3. Why has this person come to talk to Richard in Section II?
4. What does Richard think about after he gets the invitation from Diana Hartrick?
5. What mistake does Diana say Philip Lentz is making in his project?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Richard's thoughts about letting Lentz 'cut into' Helen?
2. Describe the difference between Richard and C.'s letters to each other when C. goes to Europe ahead of Richard.
3. What was happening with Richard and C. at the time that Richard published his first book?
4. What kind of response does Richard find himself getting from Helen in Section VIII?
5. What does Richard say about writing students in general?
6. What were Richard's first few months in the Netherlands like with C.?
7. Why does Richard say he was originally attracted to C.?
8. What does Richard feel about himself and about his writing while Lentz is redesigning implementation B?
9. How do Richard and Lentz differ in their approaches to the project?
10. What is Richard's reaction as he starts to spend time on Lentz's project?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 2
To what extent is Helen a replacement for the children Richard and C. never had? To what extent does Richard's writing fill that role?
Essay Topic 3
Helen ultimately shuts herself down because she is not adjusted to the real world, just the world of literature and Richard's personality. To what extent is this an allegory for machines and even for modern human culture? Are people today in the same position as Helen?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)