|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did C. feel when her family told her that they were moving?
2. What happens during Philip Lentz's experiment?
3. To what do Richard's attempts at conversation lead him?
4. What does Richard finish in the beginning of section II?
5. With whom does Richard have an encounter at the end of section IV?
Short Essay Questions
1. What breakthrough does Helen make when she analyzes love poems?
2. Describe the relationship between Philip Lentz and Richard.
3. How does Richard Powers use flashbacks in his narrative?
4. What does Richard begin to use in training implementation B?
5. What limitations does Richard come up against in Helen?
6. What does Richard feel about himself and about his writing while Lentz is redesigning implementation B?
7. What does Richard see in Lentz's office?
8. What changes with implementation H?
9. What is back propagation?
10. How does Taylor's death affect Richard and C.'s relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an evaluative review of "Galatea 2.2". What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 2
Where does a conception of evil come from, and how did Richard learn it? Does he effectively teach it to Helen?
Essay Topic 3
When Richard meets Lentz, Lentz is experimenting with machines that can recognize beautiful music, and Helen ultimately requests music and poetry from Richard. Are Richard and Lentz asking the machines to do two different things, or are music and poetry treated as the same project?
This section contains 1,528 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)