|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was C.'s job?
2. What does Richard say about happiness, after Philip Lentz's experiment?
3. What is Richard doing at the beginning of section IV?
4. What does Richard translate Diana's insight into?
5. What change does Philip Lentz make in implementation B?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Helen and C. parallel in their relationship with Richard?
2. What is C.'s relationship with Richard's work while he is in the Netherlands?
3. What was happening with Richard and C. at the time that Richard published his first book?
4. Who is C.? Describe Richard's relationship with her.
5. What does Richard see in Lentz's office?
6. What were Richard's thoughts about getting married when he was with C.?
7. What does Diana Hartrick tell Richard at lunch?
8. What does Richard feel about himself and about his writing while Lentz is redesigning implementation B?
9. What is the setting of "Galatea 2.2"?
10. What is back propagation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Lentz driven to cut into Helen, and why is Richard ultimately resigned to allow him to? Why do men have to kill, or at least pry into, the things they create and come to love?
Essay Topic 2
Richard writes a book and Diana calls it misanthropic. Is "Galatea 2.2" a misanthropic novel? If so, what is the cause of its misanthropy? If not, what is the cause of its affection for mankind?
Essay Topic 3
Helen shuts herself down in defiance of a world she does not feel at home in. Is "Galatea 2.2" a book about being out of one's element? How is this feeling presented throughout the novel, and what possible antidotes are there for it?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)