|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Richard working on at this new appointment?
2. How did Richard and C. handle the cold when they lived together?
3. Who comes over to talk to Richard in Section II?
4. How long was Richard with C.?
5. Where does Richard move to, at the beginning of "Galatea 2.2"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lentz trick Richard in Section V?
2. What does Helen's interpretation of 'A Poison Tree' lead Richard to think?
3. What limitations does Richard come up against in Helen?
4. How does Richard Powers use flashbacks in his narrative?
5. What is Richard's reaction when he finds out that Lentz has tricked him with implementation C?
6. What breakthrough does Helen make when she analyzes love poems?
7. What does Richard see in Lentz's office?
8. What does Richard think about the lecture Lentz gives?
9. What is Lentz's success with implementation A and implementation B?
10. What is C.'s relationship with Richard's work while he is in the Netherlands?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where does a conception of evil come from, and how did Richard learn it? Does he effectively teach it to Helen?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate your own reading of "Galatea 2.2". Did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 3
Richard and Helen are both creatures (in addition to the author) who live by making things with words. What are the advantages of creating worlds with words, and what are the disadvantages?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)