Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Philip Lentz refer to Richard in their second meeting?
2. What does Richard decide in response to his discovery that Lentz deceived him?
3. What does Richard translate Diana's insight into?
4. Where does Richard draw the characters for his novels?
5. Who comes over to talk to Richard in Section II?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is C.? Describe Richard's relationship with her.
2. What does Richard feel about participating in Lentz's project?
3. Describe Richard's circumstances when he first met C.
4. What does Helen's interpretation of 'A Poison Tree' lead Richard to think?
5. What leads Helen to say that she does not "want to play anymore"?
6. How do Richard and Lentz differ in their approaches to the project?
7. What work do Richard and Lentz begin together?
8. What does Richard feel about himself and about his writing while Lentz is redesigning implementation B?
9. Who is A., and what is Richard's relationship with her?
10. What does Richard receive in the mail in the beginning of section II?
Essay Topic 1
Where does a conception of evil come from, and how did Richard learn it? Does he effectively teach it to Helen?
Essay Topic 2
Helen ultimately shuts herself down because she is not adjusted to the real world, just the world of literature and Richard's personality. To what extent is this an allegory for machines and even for modern human culture? Are people today in the same position as Helen?
Essay Topic 3
How realistic is this book? What parts are not believable? What leaps of faith does the author require of the reader?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)