|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard suggest to Philip Lentz as a result of his conversation with Diana?
2. Why does C. not join Richard in his plans?
3. What does Richard translate Diana's insight into?
4. How does Richard describe the pathways in the neural net in back propagation?
5. Where is Richard taking a position?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Philip Lentz and Diana Hartrick discussing when Richard sees them at the campus bar?
2. What does Richard begin to use in training implementation B?
3. What does Richard notice during his first lunch with Lentz and the other researchers?
4. What does Helen start to want to see images of?
5. What advances does implementation G make after implementation F?
6. How are Helen and C. parallel in their relationship with Richard?
7. What are Richard's thoughts about letting Lentz 'cut into' Helen?
8. Describe Taylor's death and its importance to Richard.
9. How do Richard and Lentz differ in their approaches to the project?
10. What has Lentz accomplished by the time he builds implementation F?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate your own reading of "Galatea 2.2". Did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 2
To what extent is Helen a replacement for the children Richard and C. never had? To what extent does Richard's writing fill that role?
Essay Topic 3
As Richard recalls his time with C., he also makes advances toward Diana and A. If "Galatea 2.2" is a book about getting over a lover, what does Richard Powers suggest as the best method? Does he ultimately WANT to get over C.?
This section contains 1,448 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)