|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Richard move to, at the beginning of "Galatea 2.2"?
2. With whom does Richard have an encounter at the end of section IV?
3. What is Philip Lentz starting to use as he works on implementation B?
4. What does Richard decide in response to his discovery that Lentz deceived him?
5. What was C.'s job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard see in Lentz's office?
2. What does Helen start to want to see images of?
3. How are Helen and C. parallel in their relationship with Richard?
4. What breakthrough does Helen make when she analyzes love poems?
5. Describe the relationship between Philip Lentz and Richard.
6. Why does Richard say he was originally attracted to C.?
7. What is Helen's relationship with music?
8. What does Richard say about writing students in general?
9. Describe the difference between Richard and C.'s letters to each other when C. goes to Europe ahead of Richard.
10. What advances does implementation G make after implementation F?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Richard meets Lentz, Lentz is experimenting with machines that can recognize beautiful music, and Helen ultimately requests music and poetry from Richard. Are Richard and Lentz asking the machines to do two different things, or are music and poetry treated as the same project?
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
To what extent is Helen a replacement for the children Richard and C. never had? To what extent does Richard's writing fill that role?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)