|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard say about the machine Philip Lentz built?
2. Why is Richard upset by his lunch with Philip Lentz and others?
3. What does Richard think about after the scene of Philip Lentz's experiment?
4. Who does Philip Lentz call in to watch his experiment with implementation B?
5. What does Richard say about happiness, after Philip Lentz's experiment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard remember about meeting C., in section II?
2. What are Philip Lentz and Diana Hartrick discussing when Richard sees them at the campus bar?
3. What is Lentz's success with implementation A and implementation B?
4. What work do Richard and Lentz begin together?
5. Describe Richard's progress on his new book.
6. What limitations does Richard come up against in Helen?
7. What were Richard's first few months in the Netherlands like with C.?
8. What story does Harold Plover tell Richard about his daughters' language acquisition?
9. What does Diana Hartrick tell Richard at lunch?
10. Who is the main character, and what is he doing as the book begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are Richard's and Helen's experiences parallel, insofar as Richard struggled with Dutch, and struggled to find a language he and C. could speak together in their relationship, and Helen struggles to generate analysis of literature? How are they similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
How realistic is this book? What parts are not believable? What leaps of faith does the author require of the reader?
Essay Topic 3
What precedent does Helen's suicide have in the book? How has death been treated, and how is the machine's death similar to and different from other deaths we have seen?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)