|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Richard upset by his lunch with Philip Lentz and others?
2. What is Richard's response when he finds out that Philip Lentz has been deceiving him?
3. What does Richard think about after the scene of Philip Lentz's experiment?
4. How does Philip Lentz refer to the location where Richard lived before coming to this location?
5. What is Richard having difficulty with in the present moment, in the beginning of section II?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is C.? Describe Richard's relationship with her.
2. Describe Taylor's death and its importance to Richard.
3. Who is A., and what is Richard's relationship with her?
4. What were Richard's thoughts about getting married when he was with C.?
5. What does Helen start to want to see images of?
6. Why does Lentz not cut into Helen?
7. Who is the main character, and what is he doing as the book begins?
8. What kind of response does Richard find himself getting from Helen in Section VIII?
9. Describe Richard's circumstances when he first met C.
10. What does Richard see in Lentz's office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Richard spends a great deal of time pouring literature into Helen's memory, at the same time that he pours C. out of his own memory. How does memory work in "Galatea 2.2"? Is it a source of strength, or of suffering? How important is the desire to forget, for Richard and for Helen?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Lentz driven to cut into Helen, and why is Richard ultimately resigned to allow him to? Why do men have to kill, or at least pry into, the things they create and come to love?
Essay Topic 3
How are Richard's and Helen's experiences parallel, insofar as Richard struggled with Dutch, and struggled to find a language he and C. could speak together in their relationship, and Helen struggles to generate analysis of literature? How are they similar? How are they different?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)