|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard think about after the scene of Philip Lentz's experiment?
2. Where does Richard try to draw stories out of people?
3. How did Richard and C. handle the cold when they lived together?
4. How does Richard refer to Philip Lentz in their second meeting?
5. What is Philip Lentz starting to use as he works on implementation B?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lentz do when Richard asks him about his wife?
2. What does Richard think about the lecture Lentz gives?
3. What made C. appealing to Richard when he met her?
4. What is Lentz's success with implementation A and implementation B?
5. Describe the difference between Richard and C.'s letters to each other when C. goes to Europe ahead of Richard.
6. What work do Richard and Lentz begin together?
7. Who is A., and what is Richard's relationship with her?
8. What leads Helen to say that she does not "want to play anymore"?
9. What advances does implementation G make after implementation F?
10. What does Richard feel about himself and about his writing while Lentz is redesigning implementation B?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Richard recalls his time with C., he also makes advances toward Diana and A. If "Galatea 2.2" is a book about getting over a lover, what does Richard Powers suggest as the best method? Does he ultimately WANT to get over C.?
Essay Topic 2
Does Lentz become a replacement for C.? How does Lentz call out the same struggles and aspects of Richard's personality that had been called out in Richard's relationship with C.? Alternatively, does Helen become a replacement for C. and how does "she" call out the same struggles Richard had been engaged in with C.?
Essay Topic 3
Richard and Helen are both creatures (in addition to the author) who live by making things with words. What are the advantages of creating worlds with words, and what are the disadvantages?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)