|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Richard working on at this new appointment?
2. What did Richard and C. have to furnish their apartment?
3. What does Richard translate Diana's insight into?
4. What does Richard say about happiness, after Philip Lentz's experiment?
5. How does Richard describe the pathways in the neural net in back propagation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lentz do when Richard asks him about his wife?
2. What is Richard's reaction when he finds out that Lentz has tricked him with implementation C?
3. What were Richard and C.'s thoughts about having children?
4. What does Richard begin to use in training implementation B?
5. What does Richard feel about himself and about his writing while Lentz is redesigning implementation B?
6. What does Diana Hartrick tell Richard at lunch?
7. How does Lentz trick Richard in Section V?
8. What are Richard's thoughts about letting Lentz 'cut into' Helen?
9. Why does Lentz not cut into Helen?
10. Why does Helen ultimately shut herself down?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent is Helen a replacement for the children Richard and C. never had? To what extent does Richard's writing fill that role?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
As Richard recalls his time with C., he also makes advances toward Diana and A. If "Galatea 2.2" is a book about getting over a lover, what does Richard Powers suggest as the best method? Does he ultimately WANT to get over C.?
This section contains 1,395 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)