Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Philip Lentz refer to Richard in their second meeting?
2. What does Richard decide in response to his discovery that Lentz deceived him?
3. What does Richard translate Diana's insight into?
4. Where does Richard draw the characters for his novels?
5. Who comes over to talk to Richard in Section II?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is C.? Describe Richard's relationship with her.
2. What does Richard feel about participating in Lentz's project?
3. Describe Richard's circumstances when he first met C.
4. What does Helen's interpretation of 'A Poison Tree' lead Richard to think?
5. What leads Helen to say that she does not "want to play anymore"?
6. How do Richard and Lentz differ in their approaches to the project?
7. What work do Richard and Lentz begin together?
8. What does Richard feel about himself and about his writing while Lentz is redesigning implementation B?
9. Who is A., and what is Richard's relationship with her?
10. What does Richard receive in the mail in the beginning of section II?
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Lentz driven to cut into Helen, and why is Richard ultimately resigned to allow him to? Why do men have to kill, or at least pry into, the things they create and come to love?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)