|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Richard move to, at the beginning of "Galatea 2.2"?
2. On what is Philip Lentz basing his project?
3. What does Diana invite Richard to after chastising him?
4. How does Richard describe the pathways in the neural net in back propagation?
5. What are Philip Lentz and his friends discussing when Richard joins them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Richard think about the stories he wrote while he was with C.?
2. What does Richard receive in the mail in the beginning of section II?
3. What does Richard say about writing students in general?
4. What is Helen's relationship with music?
5. What is C.'s relationship with Richard's work while he is in the Netherlands?
6. What does Richard notice during his first lunch with Lentz and the other researchers?
7. What does Richard remember about meeting C., in section II?
8. What work do Richard and Lentz begin together?
9. Why does Richard say he was originally attracted to C.?
10. Why does Lentz not cut into Helen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Lentz driven to cut into Helen, and why is Richard ultimately resigned to allow him to? Why do men have to kill, or at least pry into, the things they create and come to love?
Essay Topic 2
How are Richard's and Helen's experiences parallel, insofar as Richard struggled with Dutch, and struggled to find a language he and C. could speak together in their relationship, and Helen struggles to generate analysis of literature? How are they similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)