|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Richard and C. decide when she went back to the Netherlands?
(a) He would move with her.
(b) He would follow after her.
(c) They would probably never see each other again.
(d) They would try some time apart, and reassess their relationship after a year.
2. What does Richard say writers should never hope to do?
(a) Create living works.
(b) Get famous.
(c) Make money.
(d) Win critical praise.
3. What does Lentz do as a result of Helen's response during his and Richard's argument?
(a) Spend less time with Helen.
(b) Reconsider his conclusion about Helen's consciousness.
(c) Give Helen more scientific and philosophical texts.
(d) Ask A. out for coffee.
4. What is the consequence of C.'s response to Richard's work?
(a) She loses passion for her own.
(b) She loses a competition for funding for her work.
(c) She gives up all her time for her own work.
(d) She makes herself miserable and alienates herself from her family.
5. How was C. different in the Netherlands than she was in the U.S.?
(b) More reticent.
(c) More thoughtful.
(d) More materialistic.
6. What does Lentz argue about Helen's mindset?
(a) She has begun to create meaning independently.
(b) Her meanings are random combinations of notions.
(c) Her attempts at meaning are more meaningful than the results.
(d) All her meanings are Richard's meanings.
7. What was Richard like when he went to the Netherlands with C.?
8. What does Richard realize about the things he could teach Helen?
(a) Some things are more important than others.
(b) Consciousness can develop out of a small number of ideas.
(c) The list is endless.
(d) None of the answers is correct.
9. Though he finds it easier to talk to Helen, whom does Richard want to talk to instead?
10. What kind of trauma did Audrey suffer?
(b) Memory loss.
(d) Fits of insanity.
11. How does Richard crash implementation E?
(a) None of the answers is correct.
(b) By asking it two questions at once.
(c) By asking what it wants to talk about.
(d) By asking contradictory questions.
12. What was the lovemaking like at the end of Richard's relationship with C.?
13. What were Richard's thoughts about having children when he was with C.?
(a) He did not want them.
(b) He wanted them, but in the future.
(c) He wanted them, but C. did not.
(d) He felt he had missed his chance to have them.
14. What is Helen's favorite poem?
(a) 'The Most of It'.
(b) 'Evening Hymn'.
(c) 'Because I would not stop for death'.
(d) 'Poison Tree'.
15. What does Richard feel about C.'s coming home in tears?
(a) The phase will pass.
(b) She should toughen up.
(c) The tears are necessary in this kind of experience.
(d) It is his fault.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was C.'s experience of certification?
2. What does Richard say Lentz has left behind him?
3. Where does Lentz take Richard?
4. What caused C. to come home in tears when she lived with Richard in the Netherlands?
5. What condition does Richard impose on doing any more work for Philip Lentz?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)