|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Richard and C. do to relieve the tension in their relationship?
(a) Make love.
(c) Speak with each other only as needed.
2. What does Helen make Richard see about consciousness?
(a) That it constructs a best-fit pattern out of different input.
(b) That it is only a fleeting and ineffable result of connections between neurons.
(c) That it consists of a certain internal echoing effect.
(d) That it can only be produced in a being at war with itself.
3. What was the lovemaking like at the end of Richard's relationship with C.?
4. What does Harold Plover say his daughter wanted instead of nouns?
(a) The first-person pronoun.
5. What realm does Richard say Lentz has entered?
(a) Speculative fantasy.
(c) Pure facts.
6. What does Richard say writers should never hope to do?
(a) Win critical praise.
(b) Get famous.
(c) Create living works.
(d) Make money.
7. What does Helen ask Richard?
(a) Whether she will ever know love.
(b) Whether he has ever loved a woman.
(c) If he can love her.
(d) Whether he has ever loved anything he created.
8. What does Richard give Philip Lentz as evidence for this assertion?
(a) Helen gives different answers to the same question, depending on the day.
(b) Helen does not perform unless she wants to.
(c) Helen understands object permanence.
(d) Helen understands her own mortality.
9. What does Richard begin to understand about C. when they live in the Netherlands together?
(a) Her longing for the landscape.
(b) Her difficulties with American culture.
(c) Her need for family.
(d) His own role as a writer with a strong family.
10. What does Lentz tell Richard he is doing with Helen?
(a) Projecting himself into the machine.
(b) Sublimating his losses.
(c) Compensating for C.
(d) Falling in love.
11. What does Philip Lentz design into implementation F to let it think recursively?
(a) Access to images.
(b) Access to more texts.
(c) New circuitry.
(d) A rule structure.
12. Though he finds it easier to talk to Helen, whom does Richard want to talk to instead?
13. What does Richard read to implementation H?
(b) Anything he can think of.
14. What is Helen's reaction to A.?
(a) She compares her to C.
(b) She will not talk with her.
(c) She describes her as a combination of literary characters.
(d) She analyzes Richard's relationship with her.
15. How does Richard think about his letters to C.?
(a) Repayment for the stories she told him.
(b) Consolation for her losses.
(c) Acts of devotion to her.
(d) Revenge for her affairs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lentz recommend Richard teach to Helen?
2. Why did Richard fall in love with C.?
3. What happened after the success of Richard's book 'Gold Bug'?
4. What is C.'s family like?
5. What does Richard ask Helen during the training?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)