|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Richard teach Helen to do?
(a) Categorize poems.
(b) Create images from poems.
(c) Feel a poem.
2. What caused C. to come home in tears when she lived with Richard in the Netherlands?
(a) Her distaste for business studies.
(b) Her inability to master the material of her certification program.
(c) Her longing for home.
(d) Being older than other students.
3. What does Diana tell Richard about having read?
(a) His book.
(b) Technical reviews of Lentz's work.
(c) Articles on neural activity.
(d) Theoretical works about robot consciousness.
4. What does Richard ask Helen during the training?
(a) What to do about C.
(b) Whether memory is real or not.
(c) What she knows.
(d) Where she comes from.
5. What causes Richard to come home in tears?
(a) Nostalgia for the U.S.
(b) Desire for marriage with C.
(c) Sadness over the imminent breakup with C.
(d) Frustration with the Dutch language.
6. What did Richard's letters to C. contain?
(a) Declarations of love.
(b) Details of his affairs.
(c) Memories of their time together.
(d) Criticisms of her work.
7. How does Richard see similarities between Lentz's relationship with his wife and his work with the implementations?
(a) Lentz fails to elicit correct answers from his wife the same way he fails to elicit correct answers from his implementations.
(b) Lentz works with his wife the same way he trains his implementations.
(c) Lentz is patient and detailed with his wife the same way he is with the implementations.
(d) Lentz uses other people to train his wife, the same way as he uses Richard's help to train the implementations.
8. What is the downside of Richard's work in C.'s experience?
(a) She speaks in artificial literary language.
(b) She forgets her own language.
(c) She loses her connection to the real world.
(d) She comes to mistake his characters' lives for her own.
9. In what did C. try to get a certificate?
10. What is C.'s family like?
11. What is Richard's role in Philip Lentz's project?
12. What were Richard's thoughts about having children when he was with C.?
(a) He felt he had missed his chance to have them.
(b) He did not want them.
(c) He wanted them, but C. did not.
(d) He wanted them, but in the future.
13. What does Richard teach Helen?
14. What does Helen have to be able to do in order to analyze literature?
15. What does Helen need to do, in order to win the contest?
(a) Write poetry.
(b) Console a grieving person.
(c) Replicate human experience.
(d) Understand but remain aloof from human experience.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose influence does Richard talk about over coffee?
2. What did Richard and C. decide when she went back to the Netherlands?
3. What does Richard feel about C.'s coming home in tears?
4. What does Richard attend in Section VII?
5. What does Helen ask Richard?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)