|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Lentz take Richard?
(a) The house where his wife lives with another man.
(b) The cemetery where his wife is buried.
(c) The long-term care facility where his wife lives.
(d) The mental hospital where his wife lives.
2. What was Richard like when he went to the Netherlands with C.?
3. What is the downside of Richard's work in C.'s experience?
(a) She speaks in artificial literary language.
(b) She forgets her own language.
(c) She loses her connection to the real world.
(d) She comes to mistake his characters' lives for her own.
4. How was C. different in the Netherlands than she was in the U.S.?
(a) More thoughtful.
(b) More reticent.
(d) More materialistic.
5. What does Lentz recommend Richard teach to Helen?
(d) Books others will pick.
6. What does Diana call Richard's book?
7. What does Helen ask Richard?
(a) Whether she will ever know love.
(b) If he can love her.
(c) Whether he has ever loved anything he created.
(d) Whether he has ever loved a woman.
8. What does Lentz tell Richard he is doing with Helen?
(a) Projecting himself into the machine.
(b) Sublimating his losses.
(c) Falling in love.
(d) Compensating for C.
9. Where did Richard and C. live in the Netherlands?
10. What does Helen need to do, in order to win the contest?
(a) Replicate human experience.
(b) Write poetry.
(c) Console a grieving person.
(d) Understand but remain aloof from human experience.
11. What does Richard realize about the things he could teach Helen?
(a) None of the answers is correct.
(b) Some things are more important than others.
(c) The list is endless.
(d) Consciousness can develop out of a small number of ideas.
12. What does Richard say he was trying to live with C.?
(a) Traditional marriage.
(b) Contingent love.
(c) Open marriage.
(d) Improvised love.
13. What happened after the success of Richard's book 'Gold Bug'?
(a) He broke off with C.
(b) His relationship with C. diminished.
(c) He convinced C. to move back to the U.S. with him.
(d) He and C. became engaged.
14. What realm does Richard say Lentz has entered?
(c) Speculative fantasy.
(d) Pure facts.
15. What insight does Richard make about writers?
(a) They have all created imaginary siblings for themselves.
(b) They have all disappointed their fathers.
(c) They have all wanted to murder their fathers.
(d) They have all wanted to possess their mothers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Richard and C. do to relieve the tension in their relationship?
2. What does Richard attend in Section VII?
3. What does Philip Lentz design into implementation F to let it think recursively?
4. What does Richard begin to understand about C. when they live in the Netherlands together?
5. What causes Richard to come home in tears?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)