|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened after the success of Richard's book 'Gold Bug'?
(a) He and C. became engaged.
(b) His relationship with C. diminished.
(c) He broke off with C.
(d) He convinced C. to move back to the U.S. with him.
2. What behavior of Richard's does Helen emulate?
(a) How he visualizes his reading.
(b) How he hums to himself as he reads.
(c) How he pauses between passages.
(d) How he asks questions.
3. What does Richard say Lentz has left behind him?
(d) Solid research.
4. How does Richard see similarities between Lentz's relationship with his wife and his work with the implementations?
(a) Lentz is patient and detailed with his wife the same way he is with the implementations.
(b) Lentz uses other people to train his wife, the same way as he uses Richard's help to train the implementations.
(c) Lentz fails to elicit correct answers from his wife the same way he fails to elicit correct answers from his implementations.
(d) Lentz works with his wife the same way he trains his implementations.
5. What does Richard give Philip Lentz as evidence for this assertion?
(a) Helen does not perform unless she wants to.
(b) Helen gives different answers to the same question, depending on the day.
(c) Helen understands her own mortality.
(d) Helen understands object permanence.
6. What do Richard and Harold Plover discuss in section VIII?
(a) Plover's daughters.
7. What were Richard's thoughts about having children when he was with C.?
(a) He wanted them, but C. did not.
(b) He did not want them.
(c) He felt he had missed his chance to have them.
(d) He wanted them, but in the future.
8. What does Diana call Richard's book?
9. What did Harold Plover realize his daughter was talking about when she was pointing at things?
(d) The things themselves.
10. Where did Richard and C. live in the Netherlands?
11. What does Helen ask Richard?
(a) Whether he has ever loved a woman.
(b) Whether she will ever know love.
(c) If he can love her.
(d) Whether he has ever loved anything he created.
12. What does Richard teach Helen?
13. What does Richard tell Philip Lentz about Helen in section X?
(a) She is alive.
(b) She is unhappy.
(c) She is at war with herself.
(d) She is conscious.
14. Why did Richard fall in love with C.?
(a) Her strength of character.
(b) Her visions.
(c) Her vulnerability.
(d) Her ability to console him.
15. What does Richard think Helen will never be able to grasp?
(a) Human beings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard begin to understand about C. when they live in the Netherlands together?
2. Whom does Richard invite out for coffee?
3. What does Diana tell Richard about having read?
4. How does Richard crash implementation E?
5. What is the consequence of C.'s response to Richard's work?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)