|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Richard feel about C.'s coming home in tears?
(a) It is his fault.
(b) The tears are necessary in this kind of experience.
(c) She should toughen up.
(d) The phase will pass.
2. What does Lentz argue about Helen's mindset?
(a) Her attempts at meaning are more meaningful than the results.
(b) She has begun to create meaning independently.
(c) All her meanings are Richard's meanings.
(d) Her meanings are random combinations of notions.
3. What did Richard and C. decide when she went back to the Netherlands?
(a) They would probably never see each other again.
(b) He would follow after her.
(c) They would try some time apart, and reassess their relationship after a year.
(d) He would move with her.
4. What did C. do to make Richard love her?
(a) Tend to her own unique perspective in her work.
(b) Admire his writing.
(c) Give him support in his work.
(d) Adjust her life to his.
5. What does Richard attend in Section VII?
(a) A demonstration of one of Lentz's implementations.
(b) A service for Lentz's wife.
(c) A lecture by Lentz.
(d) Dinner with Diana.
6. When did Richard's relationship with C. end?
(a) When she became pregnant by another man.
(b) When she had her baby.
(c) When she found out that she was not in fact pregnant.
(d) When she found out that she could not have a baby with Richard.
7. What was Richard like when he went to the Netherlands with C.?
8. What caused C. to come home in tears when she lived with Richard in the Netherlands?
(a) Her inability to master the material of her certification program.
(b) Her distaste for business studies.
(c) Her longing for home.
(d) Being older than other students.
9. What happened after the success of Richard's book 'Gold Bug'?
(a) He and C. became engaged.
(b) His relationship with C. diminished.
(c) He broke off with C.
(d) He convinced C. to move back to the U.S. with him.
10. What condition does Richard impose on doing any more work for Philip Lentz?
(a) He wants to know the secret of programming the algorithms.
(b) He wants to know where Lentz is getting his funding.
(c) He wants to know the story of Lentz and his wife.
(d) He wants Lentz to apologize for deceiving him.
11. What does Richard teach Helen?
12. What does Richard realize about the things he could teach Helen?
(a) None of the answers is correct.
(b) The list is endless.
(c) Consciousness can develop out of a small number of ideas.
(d) Some things are more important than others.
13. What does Helen ask Richard?
(a) Whether she will ever know love.
(b) Whether he has ever loved a woman.
(c) Whether he has ever loved anything he created.
(d) If he can love her.
14. What is Richard's role in Philip Lentz's project?
15. What does Richard ask Helen during the training?
(a) Whether memory is real or not.
(b) Where she comes from.
(c) What to do about C.
(d) What she knows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helen need to do, in order to win the contest?
2. What insight does Richard make about writers?
3. What is the downside of Richard's work in C.'s experience?
4. Where did Richard and C. live in the Netherlands?
5. What does Helen conclude from reading William Blake's 'Poison Tree'?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)