|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nhô-Galo declare to be the greatest proof of love?
2. Where does Colonel Ramiro Bastos spend most of his time?
3. Who informs Nacib that Colonel Ribeirinho has offered Gabriela a house and jewelry?
4. How long does it take for news of São Paulo Modern Art Week to reach Ilhéus?
5. Where is Fernand, the chef sent from Rio, originally from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loyalty is a major theme in Gabriela, Clove, and Cinnamon. Give three examples of actions that represent loyalty from the text. What message about loyalty is communicated in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Government is a major theme in Gabriela, Clove, and Cinnamon. How does the way in which Colonel Ramiro Bastos governs IlhÃ©us contrast with the way in which Mundinho governs the town? In what way is Nacib's leadership style similar to Mundinho's? If Nacib is analogous to Mundinho in governance, who is analogous to Colonel Ramiro Bastos?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbol of the sandbar in Gabriela, Clove, and Cinnamon. What does this object represent? Why is this significant?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)