|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Gabriela been helping Dona Arminda with her housework?
2. Who first suggests to Nacib that he hire Gabriela as the cook for the Commerce Restaurant?
3. Who was Gabriela's first lover?
4. Who leads the group of hoodlums that attempt to beat up the engineer in charge of the sandbar project in an effort to force him to leave Ilhéus?
5. What does Malvina want to do when she finishes school at the end of the year?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbol of the sofrÃª in Gabriela, Clove, and Cinnamon. What does this object represent? Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 2
Progress is a major theme in Gabriela, Clove, and Cinnamon. What is considered to be progress in IlhÃ©us? Give three specific examples from the text. What is the overall message about progress in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a significant theme in Gabriela, Clove, and Cinnamon. Give three examples where the characters act out of fear in the novel and explain the consequences. What message is communicated about fear in the novel?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)