|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What socially recognized relationship does Father Basílio have with the children he fathered with Otália?
2. Where does Dona Arminda announce that she is going when she meets Gabriela?
3. At the slave market, who offers Clemente a job?
4. How does Gabriela express her gratitude for the gifts that Nacib brings her?
5. Jesuíno takes refuge after killing his wife and Osmundo in the house of ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the general opinion of the lecture given by the federal examination supervisor? How does his compare with Dr. Argileu? Whose attendance at the event makes the evening memorable?
2. Who is responsible for the accreditation of the high school in Ilhéus? What is Colonel Ramiro Bastos' reaction to this news? Why?
3. Describe the typical houses of the cacao colonels. How do they differ from the manor houses of the sugar kings? Who pressures the colonels to live more lavishly?
4. What does Colonel Altino Brandão suggest that Mundinho do to make himself less of an outsider to Ilhéus? Whom does he suggest would be an appropriate candidate to select for this purpose?
5. What project are the Dos Reis sisters famous for engaging in every year? When is this project displayed? How has this project changed in recent years?
6. How does Dr. Felismino respond to his wife's infidelity? What is the outcome of his action? What becomes of him?
7. Who stops by to speak with Gabriela while she is conversing with Dona Arminda? What offer does gentleman make, and why does Gabriela refuse it?
8. Why does Colonel Aristóteles Pires decide to vote for Mundinho instead of Colonel Ramiro Bastos' candidate, Dr. Vitor Melo? How does Ramiro react to Aristótles' announcement of support for Mundinho?
9. What is Gabriela's opinion of married life? What do her friends Tuísca and Dona Arminda think about her attitude?
10. Describe Dr. Osmundo's funeral procession. Who are the attendees? What is significant about the route that the procession takes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violence has a significant role throughout Gabriela, Clove, and Cinnamon. Give three examples from the novel in which violence significantly alters the plot of the novel or directly affects the protagonist. How does violence relate to other themes in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of appearances in Gabriela, Clove, and Cinnamon. How does preoccupation with appearances affect the relationships between the characters throughout the novel? Give three specific examples from the text. How does this theme relate to the overall message of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Progress is a major theme in Gabriela, Clove, and Cinnamon. What is considered to be progress in IlhÃ©us? Give three specific examples from the text. What is the overall message about progress in the novel?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)