|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Doctor's book, what killed the poet Teodoro de Castro?
2. How much time elapses between Mundinho's announcement that an engineer will be sent from Rio and the arrival of Dr. Rômulo Vieira?
3. What project does Clóvis Costa present to the Colonel, only to be rejected?
4. Where does Gabriela usually leave the flower she wears behind her ear?
5. Whom does Nacib encounter in Seabra Plaza sunning himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What project are the Dos Reis sisters famous for engaging in every year? When is this project displayed? How has this project changed in recent years?
2. What news does Nacib receive upon awakening in the first part of the novel? Why does this present a conflict for Nacib?
3. Aside from harvesting cacao, what other work has Fagundes done for Colonel Melk Tavares? What did he think of this work and why?
4. How does Dr. Felismino respond to his wife's infidelity? What is the outcome of his action? What becomes of him?
5. What plans does Malvina have for her education? On what grounds does her father object?
6. How does Tonico Bastos feel about his wife? Why does he feel this way?
7. Why does Nacib first notice Gabriela at the slave market? What remark from Gabriela makes him offer her the job as his cook?
8. Why does Colonel Aristóteles Pires decide to vote for Mundinho instead of Colonel Ramiro Bastos' candidate, Dr. Vitor Melo? How does Ramiro react to Aristótles' announcement of support for Mundinho?
9. What are the terms of the bet Amâncio Leal makes with the Captain and the Doctor? What does Amâncio bet Colonel Ribeirinho?
10. What activity does Gabriela become involved in without informing Nacib? What part will she play in this event?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Deception is a significant theme in Gabriela, Clove, and Cinnamon. Give two examples of deception in the narrative, and explain the consequences for the protagonist. What message is communicated about deception and truth in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of appearances in Gabriela, Clove, and Cinnamon. How does preoccupation with appearances affect the relationships between the characters throughout the novel? Give three specific examples from the text. How does this theme relate to the overall message of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of setting in Gabriela, Clove, and Cinnamon? Where do the significant scenes take place? In what time period is the novel set? Why is this significant?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)