|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tonico tells Nacib that which of Ilhéus' illustrious gentlemen is interested in setting up Gabriela in a house of her own?
2. Why are no bets placed on a murder trial of an unfaithful wife?
3. Who informs Colonel Ramiro Bastos that Mundinho Falção has ensured the accreditation of the Ilhéus high school?
4. What is Clemente's occupation?
5. How much time elapses between Mundinho's announcement that an engineer will be sent from Rio and the arrival of Dr. Rômulo Vieira?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Fernand, the chef-de-cuisine from Rio, leave Ilhéus? Whom does Nacib hire to replace him at the last minute?
2. What is the subject of the Doctor's famous unfinished book? Who is his most famous subject in the book and why?
3. Why does Gabriela not want to attend the poetry lecture with Nacib? What deeper issues does this situation reveal in their relationship?
4. Whom does Nacib see walking towards the beach with Mundinho Falção? What are they doing, and what does this make Nacib suspect?
5. With whom does Gabriela travel during her migration to Ilhéus? What is her relationship to Clemente? What do they disagree about at the end of their journey?
6. What is the general opinion of the lecture given by the federal examination supervisor? How does his compare with Dr. Argileu? Whose attendance at the event makes the evening memorable?
7. Why does Colonel Aristóteles Pires decide to vote for Mundinho instead of Colonel Ramiro Bastos' candidate, Dr. Vitor Melo? How does Ramiro react to Aristótles' announcement of support for Mundinho?
8. How does Colonel Coriolano respond when he discovers that Gloria is having an affair with Professor Josué? What happens to her?
9. How does Nacib respond when he discovers that Gabriela has been unfaithful to him? What solution does João Fulgêncio suggest to avoid having to kill her and Tonico?
10. Who performs Nacib and Gabriela's marriage ceremony? Why is a religious ceremony not a possibility for the couple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbol of the glass snake in Gabriela, Clove, and Cinnamon. What does this object represent? Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of honor presented in Gabriela, Clove, and Cinnamon? What behaviors are considered honorable, and which are considered to be dishonorable? Does this change throughout the course of the novel? Give three examples from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
How is kinship treated in Gabriela, Clove, and Cinnamon? Why is this a significant theme in the novel?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)