|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Clemente sad to reach Ilhéus?
2. Where do the female gossips gather in Ilhéus?
3. Who brings news of Colonel Jesuíno's crime to those congregated at Nacib's bar?
4. What adjective is used to describe Chico?
5. Whom does Jesuíno hire to defend him in the trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What natural talent does Dona Arminda suspect Gabriela has? What makes her think this?
2. How long does Colonel Jesuíno Mendonça's trial last? What is the theme of the defense's argument? What is the theme of the prosecution's argument? What is the outcome of the trial?
3. Describe the article in the Ilhéus Daily that Nhô-Galo brings to Nacib's attention. Whom does the article criticize? Why does this article worry Nacib?
4. Who is responsible for the accreditation of the high school in Ilhéus? What is Colonel Ramiro Bastos' reaction to this news? Why?
5. Why has Filomena finally decided to go and live with her son in Água Preta? Who brings Nacib the news of her departure, and why does he disregard the notice?
6. What news does Nacib receive upon awakening in the first part of the novel? Why does this present a conflict for Nacib?
7. What activity does Gabriela become involved in without informing Nacib? What part will she play in this event?
8. How does Colonel Altino react to Colonel Ramiro Bastos' appearance when he goes to visit him? How has Ramiro Bastos changed in the last few months?
9. Why does Colonel Aristóteles Pires decide to vote for Mundinho instead of Colonel Ramiro Bastos' candidate, Dr. Vitor Melo? How does Ramiro react to Aristótles' announcement of support for Mundinho?
10. How does Dr. Felismino respond to his wife's infidelity? What is the outcome of his action? What becomes of him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbol of the sandbar in Gabriela, Clove, and Cinnamon. What does this object represent? Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbol of the sofrÃª in Gabriela, Clove, and Cinnamon. What does this object represent? Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 3
Loyalty is a major theme in Gabriela, Clove, and Cinnamon. Give three examples of actions that represent loyalty from the text. What message about loyalty is communicated in the novel?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)