|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of business does Jacob the Russian open in Ilhéus?
(a) A cabaret.
(b) A restaurant.
(c) A bus company.
(d) A dry goods store.
2. What is the name of the Bastos' weekly newspaper?
(a) The Southern Weekly.
(b) The Ilhéus Weekly.
(c) The Ilhéus Journal.
(d) The Southern Journal.
3. What project does Clóvis Costa present to the Colonel, only to be rejected?
(a) Opening a new hospital.
(b) Building a new athletic field.
(c) Landscaping the parks.
(d) Establishing a daily newspaper.
4. Which two characters are rivals for the title of Ilhéus' most eloquent orator?
(a) Nacib and Mundinho Falção.
(b) Florzinha and Quinquina Dos Reis.
(c) Colonel Manuel of the Jaguars and Colonel Ramiro Bastos.
(d) The Doctor and the Capitan.
5. What is the inherited property given to Dona Sinhàzinha by her father?
(a) A coconut plantation.
(b) A cacao plantation.
(c) A cabaret.
(d) A dentist's office.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the only two Protestants in Ilhéus?
2. Where was Nacib born?
3. Who is the object of Professor Josué's passionate love?
4. Where does Tonico Bastos work?
5. What is Clemente's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Nacib uneasy about losing Gabriela? Why does Tonico Bastos tell Nacib to guard his treasure? To what treasure is he referring?
2. Who is the man hired to shoot Colonel Aristóteles Pires? In whose yard does this man end up after fleeing from the members of the manhunt?
3. How does Mundinho Falção send birthday wishes to Colonel Ramiro Bastos? How does the Colonel receive his message?
4. Why does Colonel Aristóteles Pires decide to vote for Mundinho instead of Colonel Ramiro Bastos' candidate, Dr. Vitor Melo? How does Ramiro react to Aristótles' announcement of support for Mundinho?
5. What does Malvina plan to do after the beating by her father? Why do her plans change, and how does she feel about these changes?
6. What plans does Malvina have for her education? On what grounds does her father object?
7. What natural phenomenon threatens the cacao crop at the beginning of the novel? How do the inhabitants of Ilhéus respond to this situation?
8. Why does Fernand, the chef-de-cuisine from Rio, leave Ilhéus? Whom does Nacib hire to replace him at the last minute?
9. Describe the article in the Ilhéus Daily that Nhô-Galo brings to Nacib's attention. Whom does the article criticize? Why does this article worry Nacib?
10. Where does Gloria live? Why does this offend the women of Ilhéus?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)