|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Doctor's book, with which historical figure did his ancestor Ofenísia have a clandestine romance?
(a) Napoleon Bonaparte.
(b) Henry XIII.
(d) Emperor Pedro II.
2. Who is Jacob the Russian's partner?
(a) The Doctor.
(b) Mundinho Falção
(c) Moacir Estrêla.
3. What word does Gabriela use to describe Nacib that surprises him?
4. Where does Dona Arminda announce that she is going when she meets Gabriela?
(a) To the fish market to gossip.
(b) To church to hear mass.
(c) To Teodoro's house for a séance.
(d) To the Dos Reis sisters' house to see the Nativity tableau.
5. Where does Gabriela usually leave the flower she wears behind her ear?
(a) On a bar stool.
(b) On Nacib's bed.
(c) In the street.
(d) On the canvas deck chair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of business does Jacob the Russian open in Ilhéus?
2. Who is considered to be the most elegant man in Ilhéus?
3. Where does Nacib interrupt Mundinho, the Captain, and the Doctor as they are having dinner and making plans?
4. What are the two leading cabarets in Ilhéus?
5. What item does Clemente carry with him during his journey to Ilhéus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Nhô-Galo and the Captain consider to be the greatest proof of love? Why does João Fulgêncio believe that love cannot be proven or measured? To what does he compare love?
2. Why does Colonel Coriolano Ribeiro confront Tonico Bastos? What does Tonico do after speaking with the Colonel? How does this affect Gloria?
3. Why does Nacib first notice Gabriela at the slave market? What remark from Gabriela makes him offer her the job as his cook?
4. What is Dona Arminda's profession? How has her occupation changed with new progressive ideas, and what is her opinion of these changes?
5. What improvements have been made in Ilhéus under Colonel Ramiro Bastos? What improvement suggestions has he ignored?
6. Why does Colonel Aristóteles Pires decide to vote for Mundinho instead of Colonel Ramiro Bastos' candidate, Dr. Vitor Melo? How does Ramiro react to Aristótles' announcement of support for Mundinho?
7. How does Colonel Ramiro Bastos act at the dinner for the inauguration of the bus company? Why does Nacib admire his behavior?
8. What complaint about married life does Nacib share with Tonico? What does Nacib suspect is the cause for this change in Gabriela's behavior?
9. When Nhô-Galo suggests that Gabriela would win in an election as a candidate for Mayor, whom does João Fulgêncio expect would not support her? Why is this not a problem, even hypothetically?
10. Where does Colonel Altino sit when he visits Colonel Ramiro Bastos' house? How does this compare with where he sits when he visits Mundinho Falção's office?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)