|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What adjective is used to describe Chico?
2. Whom does Tonico Bastos fear?
(a) His brother.
(b) His father.
(c) His godfather.
(d) His wife.
3. Where do the female gossips gather in Ilhéus?
(a) The plaza.
(b) The park.
(c) The fish market.
(d) The church.
4. Who is considered to be the most elegant man in Ilhéus?
(a) Mundinho Falção.
(b) Tonico Bastos.
(d) Alfredo Bastos.
5. Who is the patron saint of Ilhéus?
(a) St. Ilhéus.
(b) St. John.
(c) St. George.
(d) St. Anthony.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jacob the Russian's partner?
2. What job with the circus does Tuísca claim to have been offered?
3. What game does the Captain attempt to teach Gabriela?
4. Why are no bets placed on a murder trial of an unfaithful wife?
5. According to Mundinho, who are the leading exporters of cacao in Ilhéus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Malvina plan to do after the beating by her father? Why do her plans change, and how does she feel about these changes?
2. How does Tonico Bastos feel about his wife? Why does he feel this way?
3. What innovation do Jacob the Russian and Moacir Estrêla introduce to Ilhéus? Why is this significant?
4. Why does Fernand, the chef-de-cuisine from Rio, leave Ilhéus? Whom does Nacib hire to replace him at the last minute?
5. Why does Mundinho Falção initially leave Rio de Janeiro for Ilhéus? How does this affect his feelings for the town?
6. How does the Commercial Association rescue art in Ilhéus? Who performs at the dance for the inauguration of the new headquarters? How does the crowd respond?
7. What activity does Gabriela become involved in without informing Nacib? What part will she play in this event?
8. Who are Chiquinha and Juca? What does Colonel Coriolano Ribeiro have done to them when he discovers their relationship?
9. Is Nacib interested in being married? Why has he not yet married?
10. Which student does not come home for the Christmas holiday? Where is this person living, and what is this person doing?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)