|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what animal does Clemente compare Gabriela?
(a) A fox.
(b) A cat.
(c) An owl.
(d) A glass snake.
2. Why does Gabriela think she might not like to marry Nacib, given the opportunity?
(a) She might not be able to go to the movies with Dona Arminda.
(b) She might have to wear shoes all the time.
(c) She might not be able to visit him at the bar anymore.
(d) She might have to move to Arabia with him.
3. Which of Gabriela's friends stops coming to visit her after she becomes Mrs. Saad?
4. Who is the only person who keeps his decorum around Gabriela and treats her like a lady in Nacib's presence?
(a) The Judge.
(b) Tonico Bastos.
(c) Professor Josué.
(d) The Captain.
5. All of Dr. Argileu Palmeira's poetry books are named after ______________.
(a) Cities of the world.
(b) Greek gods and heroes.
(c) Precious stones.
(d) Brazilian beaches.
6. Who becomes frightened after hearing about the beating of the municipal employee and leaves Ilhéus?
(a) The engineer.
(d) João Fulgêncio.
7. Who installs Gloria in a house of her own near the station?
(a) Colonel Aristóteles Pires.
(b) Colonel Amâncio Leal.
(c) Colonel Jesuíno.
(d) Colonel Ribeirinho.
8. What does Nacib buy Gabriela to wear to the New Year's Ball?
(a) An embroidered scarf.
(b) Patent leather shoes.
(c) A silk cloak.
(d) A diamond necklace.
9. From whom does Gabriela keep her participation in the Christmas pageant a secret?
(c) Dona Arminda.
10. Who attempts to publicly snub Gabriela?
(a) Nacib's sister.
(b) Dona Angela.
(c) Colonel Ramiro Bastos.
(d) Dona Vera.
11. What part of the sandbar project do the townspeople never tire of watching?
(a) The chief engineer.
(b) The deep sea divers.
(c) The tugboats.
(d) The dredges.
12. How long does it take for news of São Paulo Modern Art Week to reach Ilhéus?
(a) Three years.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Six months.
13. What is the title of Dr. Argileu Palmeira's lecture?
(a) Life and Death.
(b) Whispers and Screaming.
(c) Sighs and Fainting.
(d) Tears and Longing.
14. What bar does Tonico frequent after the incident between him and Gabriela?
(a) The Commerce Bar.
(b) The El Dorado.
(c) The Golden Nectar.
(d) The Green Apple.
15. To what does Colonel Altino attribute his decision to support Mundinho over Colonel Ramiro Bastos?
(a) The sandbar.
(d) High-backed chairs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Colonel Melk Tavares punish his daughter for her disobedience?
2. With which women does Mundinho Falção dance during the ball?
3. Who speaks at the opening ceremony for the School of Industrial Arts and Crafts?
4. What does Colonel Manuel of the Jaguars offer Gabriela that makes her consider his proposition for the first time?
5. What novel does Malvina purchase despite the fact that some consider the book to be inappropriate for girls to read?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)