|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dona Sinhàzinha wearing when she dies?
(a) White lingerie.
(b) Black stockings.
(d) A housecoat.
2. Where does Dona Arminda announce that she is going when she meets Gabriela?
(a) To Teodoro's house for a séance.
(b) To the fish market to gossip.
(c) To the Dos Reis sisters' house to see the Nativity tableau.
(d) To church to hear mass.
3. Who is the proprietor of the Vesuvius Bar?
(c) Jacob the Russian.
(d) Mundinho Falção.
4. Whom does Jesuíno hire to defend him in the trial?
(a) Dr. Maurício.
(b) João Fulgêncio.
(c) Tonico Bastos.
(d) The Captain.
5. What is Clemente's occupation?
6. Why does Mundinho leave Rio de Janeiro to live in Ilhéus initially?
(a) He is in love with Madeline, his brother's wife.
(b) He needs to make money to support his widowed mother.
(c) He is sickly and needs a change of climate.
(d) He owes money for gambling debts.
7. According to the Doctor's book, with which historical figure did his ancestor Ofenísia have a clandestine romance?
(a) Emperor Pedro II.
(b) Henry XIII.
(d) Napoleon Bonaparte.
8. With whom does Nacib go to Dr. Osmundo's wake?
(a) Colonel Ramiro Bastos and Mundinho.
(b) The Doctor and João Fulgêncio.
(c) Professor Josué and Tonico Bastos.
(d) The Captain and Nhô-Galo.
9. What does Anabela ask the men at the bar to write for her?
(a) A history of Ilhéus.
(c) Love letters.
(d) Opinions about her performance.
10. Where does Nacib go after attending Dr. Osmundo's wake to dispel the vision of death?
(a) To church to hear mass.
(b) Home to Gabriela.
(c) To the cabaret to see Anabela's performance.
(d) To the bar to work
11. Whom does Osmundo's father hire to help prosecute Colonel Jesuíno?
(a) Dr. Maurício Caires.
(b) Dr. Ezequiel Prado.
(c) João Fulgêncio.
(d) Dr. Rômulo Vieira.
12. For his skill in what field is Colonel Ananias and Ivo known as The Tiger?
(c) Seducing women.
13. Which character announces the end of the rain on the first clear morning?
(a) Colonel Jesuíno Mendonça.
(b) Mundinho Falção.
(c) Colonel Ramiro Bastos.
(d) Colonel Manuel of the Jaguars.
14. According to Mundinho, who are the leading exporters of cacao in Ilhéus?
(a) The Captain and Dona Arminda.
(b) The Kaufmanns and Stevenson.
(c) Father Basílio and the Doctor.
(d) Colonel Ramiro Bastos and Nacib.
15. Why does Dona Sinhàzinha's wake take place at her cousin's house?
(a) Her cousin's house was the only space large enough for the event.
(b) Her cousin is her only relative in town.
(c) Her cousin was her closest friend.
(d) The rest of her family disowned her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters are rivals for the title of Ilhéus' most eloquent orator?
2. What jobs are available in Ilhéus for men who have no trade?
3. After speaking to the Dos Reis sisters, where does Nacib begin his search for a cook?
4. Which character is Nacib's employee and brings him the news that Filomena is leaving Ilhéus?
5. What job with the circus does Tuísca claim to have been offered?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)