|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Jacob the Russian's partner?
(a) Mundinho Falção
(c) Moacir Estrêla.
(d) The Doctor.
2. What item does Clemente carry with him during his journey to Ilhéus?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A guitar.
(c) A concertina.
(d) A revolver.
3. What type of business does Jacob the Russian open in Ilhéus?
(a) A cabaret.
(b) A bus company.
(c) A dry goods store.
(d) A restaurant.
4. Who brings news of Colonel Jesuíno's crime to those congregated at Nacib's bar?
(b) The Captain.
(c) The Doctor.
(d) Lazy Chico.
5. Where does Gabriela usually leave the flower she wears behind her ear?
(a) On the canvas deck chair.
(b) On a bar stool.
(c) In the street.
(d) On Nacib's bed.
6. Whose attendance at Dona Sinhàzinha's wake surprises the other mourners?
(a) Colonel Jesuíno.
(d) Colonel Ramiro Bastos.
7. Which two characters are rivals for the title of Ilhéus' most eloquent orator?
(a) Florzinha and Quinquina Dos Reis.
(b) Nacib and Mundinho Falção.
(c) Colonel Manuel of the Jaguars and Colonel Ramiro Bastos.
(d) The Doctor and the Capitan.
8. How does Gabriela express her gratitude for the gifts that Nacib brings her?
(a) She kisses his cheek.
(b) She makes him a special dessert.
(c) She cooks him a special dinner.
(d) She kisses the palm of his hand.
9. Which distant ancestor of Dona Sinhàzinha is used to explain her tragic end?
(b) Teodoro de Castro.
(c) Dom Pedro II.
(d) Colonel Luís Antônio d'Ávila.
10. Where does Mundinho Falção's family live?
(b) São Paulo.
(c) Minas Gerais.
(d) Rio de Janeiro.
11. Why is Ezequiel Prado annoyed with the Bastoses?
(a) He was not appointed drain commissioner.
(b) He was not made president of the municipal council.
(c) They refused to give him a loan for his small business.
(d) They refused to invest in his bus company.
12. After speaking to the Dos Reis sisters, where does Nacib begin his search for a cook?
(a) Unhão Hill.
(c) Seabra Plaza.
13. Where was Nacib born?
14. With whom does Nacib go to Dr. Osmundo's wake?
(a) The Captain and Nhô-Galo.
(b) Colonel Ramiro Bastos and Mundinho.
(c) The Doctor and João Fulgêncio.
(d) Professor Josué and Tonico Bastos.
15. Who advises Clemente to forget about Gabriela?
(b) Professor Josué.
(d) Colonel Melk Tavares.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the male gossips gather in Ilhéus?
2. Which character announces the end of the rain on the first clear morning?
3. Who is the proprietor of the Vesuvius Bar?
4. Who left the lipstick smears on Nacib's face and chest?
5. Why does Mundinho leave Rio de Janeiro to live in Ilhéus initially?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)