|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What injury does Toby sustain in "Hard Spark?"
2. What does the injured man say to Toby in "Casualties?"
3. In "Passing Currents," from where does Toby think the discharge that flattened him came?
4. From what family is the pyramid dwarf?
5. What are the conditions on the Redoubt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Toby is attacked in "The Pain of Eternity."
2. In "Hard Spark," why does Quath say that water is scarce?
3. In "The Sea of Sands," how does Toby learn that the Mantis has found him?
4. Why does Quath think the birds in the Redoubt are a threat?
5. What happens at the end of "The Sea of Sands?"
6. Why do Toby and the Shibo Personality argue in "The Rock of Chaos?"
7. What do Toby and Quath do at the end of "The Esty Wind?"
8. According to Quath, why is Toby's hand pinned to a rock in "Time's Grip?"
9. Describe the injured man in "Casualties."
10. Describe the people that Toby first encounters in "Rational Laughter."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Mantis. What is it? What is the Family Bishop's past history with the Mantis? What does the Mantis want from the Family Bishop?
Essay Topic 2
How does Toby's relationship with Killeen change throughout the book? Be sure to include the effects of Toby's outburst on the deck and his subsequent punishment and escape, as well as Toby's arguments with Killeen over the Shibo Personality.
Essay Topic 3
What role do friendships play in the story? Be sure to include Toby's friendship with Quath, as well as his friendship with Besen.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)