|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Animal Spirits," what happened during the time Toby was missing from the ship?
2. What is another name for ?
3. Who said, "Anything you understand, you can use?"
4. In "Rational Laughter," who/what does Toby flee?
5. In "Animal Spirits," where do the mechs say must go?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Hard Spark," why does Quath say that water is scarce?
2. In "Eating the Storm," what does Toby realize about the violence down the Lane?
3. Why does Quath think the birds in the Redoubt are a threat?
4. Describe the memories Toby has when he is in the maize field.
5. In "Animal Spirits," why does Toby run from Killeen and Cermo?
6. Describe the injured man in "Casualties."
7. After Toby and Quath fall from the esty, why does Quath say the esty Lane is so unstable?
8. Why do the mechs and argue in "Animal Spirits?"
9. In "Passing Currents," how does Toby describe the disturbance that flattened him?
10. Why do Toby and the Shibo Personality argue in "The Rock of Chaos?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does technology influence the Family Bishop? How does it influence the story? Give several specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
What are the mechs? Are they one being or more than one? How does the author convey the essence of the mechs throughout the book? Give at least three specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What does Toby learn about himself in this book? Be sure to discuss how the Shibo Personality, conflict with Killeen, and experience in "Eating the Storm" contribute.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)