|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Quath think the birds are in the Lane?
2. How does the Mantis communicate with Toby?
3. In "Unsettled Movement," what does Toby eat?
4. In "Eating the Storm," what does Toby notice about the bird that lands nearby?
5. What are the conditions on the Redoubt?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Unsettled Movement," what do Toby and Quath discuss?
2. What is the source of conflict between Toby and Shibo in "Unsettled Movement?"
3. In "Animal Spirits," why does Toby run from Killeen and Cermo?
4. In "Passing Currents," what does Toby realize about the storm he has just endured?
5. Describe the people that Toby first encounters in "Rational Laughter."
6. In "The Sea of Sands," how does Toby learn that the Mantis has found him?
7. In "Mind Surgery," how does Toby go about healing himself?
8. Describe the injured man in "Casualties."
9. Why is Toby surprised to sense the Mantis in "Hard Spark?"
10. According to Quath, why is Toby's hand pinned to a rock in "Time's Grip?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the author's writing style. What techniques does he use to create a compelling story? Give at least three specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Which parts of the book did you most enjoy? Why? Did you like the book? Would you recommend it to a friend? Why or why not? Use information from the book to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
What does Toby learn about himself in this book? Be sure to discuss how the Shibo Personality, conflict with Killeen, and experience in "Eating the Storm" contribute.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)