|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Rational Laughter," who/what does Toby flee?
2. In "The Rock of Chaos," what happens when the timestone ruptures?
3. What does Toby do when he finds the dead bird that spoke to him?
4. In "Passing Currents," what does Toby realize is different about the higher mechs?
5. According to Quath, what is "the Redoubt?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Toby and Quath do at the end of "The Esty Wind?"
2. Describe Toby's interaction with the bird in "Eating the Storm."
3. In "Eating the Storm," what does Toby realize about the violence down the Lane?
4. Why do Toby and the Shibo Personality argue in "The Rock of Chaos?"
5. Describe Toby's experience with Nigel in the last chapter of the book.
6. What happens at the end of "The Sea of Sands?"
7. What is the source of conflict between Toby and Shibo in "Unsettled Movement?"
8. In "Hard Spark," why does Quath say that water is scarce?
9. What is Toby doing at the end of "Rational Laughter?"
10. What is the rock of chaos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do friendships play in the story? Be sure to include Toby's friendship with Quath, as well as his friendship with Besen.
Essay Topic 2
What does Toby get from his Faces, Aspects, and Personality? Is he always happy with what he gets? Be sure to include specific examples with his Isaac Aspect and the Shibo Personality.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author convey mood in each of the following chapters: "Animal Spirits," "The Pain of Eternity," and "Eating the Storm?" Give specific examples from each chapter.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)