|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Esty Wind," to what does Quath compare construction in the esty?
2. In "Passing Currents," what does Toby realize is different about the higher mechs?
3. What does Toby tell Quath as they flee from the dead mech-bird?
4. Who does Toby encounter in the beginning of "The Sea of Sand?"
5. What does Shibo's Personality tell Toby after Toby has fled from Killeen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the injured man in "Casualties."
2. Describe the people that Toby first encounters in "Rational Laughter."
3. In "Passing Currents," what does Toby realize about the storm he has just endured?
4. What is the message that the injured man has for Toby in "Casualties?"
5. What is the rock of chaos?
6. What happens at the end of "The Sea of Sands?"
7. Describe the memories Toby has when he is in the maize field.
8. Describe Toby's interaction with the bird in "Eating the Storm."
9. Why do the mechs and argue in "Animal Spirits?"
10. In "Mind Surgery," how does Toby go about healing himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which parts of the book did you most enjoy? Why? Did you like the book? Would you recommend it to a friend? Why or why not? Use information from the book to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
How does Toby's relationship with Killeen change throughout the book? Be sure to include the effects of Toby's outburst on the deck and his subsequent punishment and escape, as well as Toby's arguments with Killeen over the Shibo Personality.
Essay Topic 3
What does Toby learn about himself in this book? Be sure to discuss how the Shibo Personality, conflict with Killeen, and experience in "Eating the Storm" contribute.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)