|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Rock of Chaos," what happens when the timestone ruptures?
2. After Toby removes the Shibo chip, what does he do to make himself harder to find?
3. What does Toby think of the people in "Rational Laughter?"
4. Where do Toby and Quath rest while trying to find their way back from the Redoubt?
5. Where does Toby shelter from the cold in "The Pain of Eternity?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the injured man in "Casualties."
2. What is the source of conflict between Toby and Shibo in "Unsettled Movement?"
3. In "Passing Currents," what does Toby realize about the storm he has just endured?
4. In "Unsettled Movement," what do Toby and Quath discuss?
5. What is Toby doing at the end of "Rational Laughter?"
6. In "Passing Currents," how does Toby describe the disturbance that flattened him?
7. Describe what happens when Toby is attacked in "The Pain of Eternity."
8. Describe the people that Toby first encounters in "Rational Laughter."
9. Why do Toby and the Shibo Personality argue in "The Rock of Chaos?"
10. What is the rock of chaos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the settings of Argo and the Lanes. Be sure to include both time and place in your response.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses symbolism throughout the book. Give at least three specific examples. Discuss why each example is or is not effective.
Essay Topic 3
What role do friendships play in the story? Be sure to include Toby's friendship with Quath, as well as his friendship with Besen.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)