|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the real family name of the woman Toby meets in the maize fields?
2. What is Toby doing at the beginning of "Passing Currents?"
(a) Arching his body to let the energy in.
(b) Sitting in a pyramid.
(c) Lying on the ground.
(d) Standing with his feet on either side of a crevice.
3. Where is Toby at the start of "Salvage?"
(a) In a tunnel.
(b) In a cave.
(c) In a valley.
(d) On a cliff.
4. What does Toby think of the injured man's new face?
(a) It looks like a mask.
(b) It will not work out.
(c) It looks real.
(d) It reminds him of someone.
5. From where does Toby think the storm came?
(a) From the forest.
(b) From the Family Bishop.
(c) From another Lane.
(d) From the Mantis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Toby realize as he looks at the maize crops on the Lane?
2. What does the injured man say to Toby in "Casualties?"
3. In "The Rock of Chaos," what happens when the timestone ruptures?
4. Where does Toby sleep in "Rational Laughter?"
5. Why can't Toby move his hand when he awakens in the Redoubt?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Hard Spark," why does Quath say that water is scarce?
2. Why does Quath think the birds in the Redoubt are a threat?
3. Describe Toby's experience with Nigel in the last chapter of the book.
4. In "Unsettled Movement," what do Toby and Quath discuss?
5. In "Mind Surgery," how does Toby go about healing himself?
6. What is the rock of chaos?
7. What do Toby and Quath do at the end of "The Esty Wind?"
8. Why do the mechs and argue in "Animal Spirits?"
9. According to Quath, why is Toby's hand pinned to a rock in "Time's Grip?"
10. Describe the injured man in "Casualties."
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)