|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Rational Laughter," who/what does Toby flee?
(a) A mech attack.
(b) A violent storm.
(c) The Mantis.
(d) An angry mob.
2. Who said, "Anything you understand, you can use?"
3. In "Passing Currents," what does Toby realize is different about the higher mechs?
(a) They are more powerful than humans are.
(b) They are detached from death.
(c) They can create pathways to other worlds.
(d) They can take on many different forms.
4. Where does Toby sleep in "Rational Laughter?"
(a) In a shed.
(b) In a box.
(c) On the grass.
(d) On a ship.
5. How was the man in "Casualties" injured?
(a) He fell down a well.
(b) He was shot.
(c) Something exploded near him.
(d) He was beaten up.
6. From what family is the pyramid dwarf?
7. How do the people in "Rational Laughter" treat Toby?
(a) They take care of him.
(b) They ridicule him.
(c) They treat him as a curiosity.
(d) They treat him as a traitor.
8. In "Hard Spark," what does Quath sense above?
(a) An incoming storm.
(b) Dozens of alien ships.
(c) A deceptive screen.
(d) Some small figures and one large one.
9. Who tells Toby a rhyme after Toby and Quath flee from the dead mech-bird?
10. How long has Walmsley been waiting for Toby?
(a) A millenium.
(b) A million years.
(c) Almost thirty thousand years.
(d) Nearly fifty thousand years.
11. What image plays on Toby's retina as he recovers from his spark-induced injuries?
(a) Quath is fighting the Mantis.
(b) Toby is inside something with wheels that fly.
(c) The Mantis is attacking the Family Bishop.
(d) Toby is attending a celebration on Snowglade.
12. Whose voice does Toby hear as he waits out the blizzard in "The Pain of Eternity?"
13. Who does the injured man think Toby is?
(a) A member of the Family Bishop.
(b) A troublemaker.
(c) Someone important.
(d) A messenger.
14. What does Toby want to do in "Unsettled Movement?"
(a) Name the mountains.
(b) Bathe in a stream.
(c) Remember his childhood.
(d) Talk to Isaac.
15. What does Toby think of the injured man's new face?
(a) It will not work out.
(b) It reminds him of someone.
(c) It looks real.
(d) It looks like a mask.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who/what does Toby see in the beginning of "Phantoms?"
2. In "Mind Surgery," what does Toby take from his field kit?
3. In "Time's Grip," what does Toby notice about the first bird he sees in the Lane?
4. Who/what awakens Toby in "Time's Grip?"
5. What holds Toby to Quath as they fall from the esty?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)