|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Toby think of the injured man's new face?
(a) It looks real.
(b) It reminds him of someone.
(c) It looks like a mask.
(d) It will not work out.
2. How long has Walmsley been waiting for Toby?
(a) A million years.
(b) Almost thirty thousand years.
(c) Nearly fifty thousand years.
(d) A millenium.
3. What have the people in "Rational Laughter" survived?
(a) Severe drought.
(b) Invasion by the Mantis.
(c) Battles with the mechs.
4. How do the people in "Rational Laughter" treat Toby?
(a) They treat him as a curiosity.
(b) They take care of him.
(c) They treat him as a traitor.
(d) They ridicule him.
5. In "Eating the Storm," what does Toby notice about the bird that lands nearby?
(a) It looks like a mech-bird.
(b) It has four wings.
(c) It houses the Mantis.
(d) It has a fleshy mouth.
6. What is the white patch that Toby sees in "The Sea of Sand?"
(a) Naked dead bodies.
(b) A pile of bones.
(c) A dwelling.
(d) White sand.
7. How was the man in "Casualties" injured?
(a) He fell down a well.
(b) Something exploded near him.
(c) He was shot.
(d) He was beaten up.
8. Where does Toby sleep in "Rational Laughter?"
(a) In a shed.
(b) On the grass.
(c) In a box.
(d) On a ship.
9. Why does Quath think the birds are in the Lane?
(a) To distract Toby and Quath.
(b) To carry toxins.
(c) To communicate with Toby.
(d) To send signals to the mechs.
10. In "Hard Spark," what makes Quath jittery?
(a) Uneven footing.
(b) A sense of being watched.
(c) She is injured.
11. What holds Toby to Quath as they fall from the esty?
(a) A suction device.
(b) Centrifugal force.
(d) One of Quath's arms.
12. What makes Toby sick in "Hard Spark?"
(a) Something in the stream water.
(b) The thought of Shibo taking him over.
(c) Swaying rock and air.
(d) The thought that he may never find the Family Bishop.
13. Whose voice does Toby hear as he waits out the blizzard in "The Pain of Eternity?"
14. How does Toby evade the mech sniffer in "Salvage?"
(a) He shoots it.
(b) He swims underwater.
(c) He scrambles its sensors.
(d) He hides in the shadows.
15. Where do Toby and Quath rest while trying to find their way back from the Redoubt?
(a) At the base of a cliff.
(b) At a shifting waterfall.
(c) Inside a pearly pyramid.
(d) In a deep field.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Unsettled Movement," how does Quath know that something is troubling Toby while he sleeps?
2. Who does the injured man think Toby is?
3. Who emerges from the nearby trees while Quath and Toby are in the esty park?
4. In "Hard Spark," what does Quath sense above?
5. What is the real family name of the woman Toby meets in the maize fields?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)