|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who loses his or her hair in Part 4?
2. What does the rejection of the African-American man's mother symbolize?
3. Who does Jesus fall asleep next to?
4. What place does the poetic imagery the Landlady uses in Part 4 reflect?
5. Who wanted the African-American man to achieve an unattainable goal in Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sarah and her father attempt to reconcile on Easter. Discuss why this holiday is significant to the play and to the character of Sarah. Choose one other religious theme within the play and discuss how it is relevant to the theme of racial identity.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolic nature of the hair loss each character experiences. What does the hair loss signify? Why is it important? How do the characters hide their hair loss and what does this concealment mean? Choose two characters and discuss what events cause their hair loss. Site specific examples from the text to make your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Adrienne Kennedy's use of the noose and the cross in her play. How are these two items symbolically similar? How are they different? How do both objects speak to Kennedy's theme of racial identity? Site specific examples from the text.
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)