|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 4, who does the Landlady say died?
2. What condition was Sarah's father in when she saw him in Part 4?
3. Did Sarah ever forgive her father in Part 4?
4. What was the African-American man supposed to become?
5. Where was the African-American man's father when he tried to hurt himself?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Adrienne Kennedy's use of the noose and the cross in her play. How are these two items symbolically similar? How are they different? How do both objects speak to Kennedy's theme of racial identity? Site specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Adrienne Kennedy specifically mentions Harlem in her play. Describe the history of Harlem and write about the relevance of Harlem in the play's theme of racial identity.
Essay Topic 3
Sarah and her father attempt to reconcile on Easter. Discuss why this holiday is significant to the play and to the character of Sarah. Choose one other religious theme within the play and discuss how it is relevant to the theme of racial identity.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)