|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Sarah contribute to her father's death?
2. Where did the African-American man's mother want him to travel to?
3. What part of the city was the African-American man's father in when he tried to hurt himself?
4. What does the holiday that Sarah visits her father on symbolize?
5. What other name Queen Victoria was Queen Victoria known by?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Adrienne Kennedy's use of the noose and the cross in her play. How are these two items symbolically similar? How are they different? How do both objects speak to Kennedy's theme of racial identity? Site specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the central conflicts present in Adrienne Kennedy's play. Discuss the importance of this conflict and how it effects one character other then Sarah. How does this conflict help express the theme of racial identity? Site specific examples from the text to make your argument.
Essay Topic 3
What is Raymond's role in Adrienne Kennedy's play? How is he similar or different to the landlady? Discuss the outfit Kennedy describes Raymond wearing. What is symbolic about this outfit?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)