|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Sarah's father's mother want him to become?
2. Who loses his or her hair in Part 4?
3. What did Sarah's father want from her?
4. What did the African-American man's mother want him to learn on his journey?
5. What is significant about the area of the city that the African-American man's father tried to hurt himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the play Sarah is confronted by a statue of Queen Victoria. Who is Queen Victoria? Describe her role in the play? Who is she in real life? Why does this final confrontation result in Sarah's death? Site specific examples from the text to make your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the historical significance of Patrice Lumumba and how Adrienne Kennedy uses him in her play. How does the life of Patrice Lumumba bring forth the message that Kennedy is trying to convey?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of racial identity in this play. How does Adrienne Kennedy weave this theme throughout her play? How does racial identity drive the actions of the characters? Choose two characters and compare and contrast the ways they deal with racial identity in this play.
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)