|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing the Duchess and Jesus speak about?
2. How does a character calm down the balding character in Part 4?
3. What did the African-American man do for his mother?
4. What didn't the African-American man's mother want him to do?
5. Where did the African-American man's mother end up living?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the knocking sound throughout the play. When does the knocking sound occur? Who makes the noise? What does the knocking represent? Site specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Adrienne Kennedy specifically mentions Harlem in her play. Describe the history of Harlem and write about the relevance of Harlem in the play's theme of racial identity.
Essay Topic 3
Monologues are prevalent in Adrienne Kennedy's play. Define what a monologue is and how Kennedy uses them in her play. Why did Kennedy elect to use monologues rather then conversations between characters to tell Sarah's story?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)