|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sarah's father say that his existence depended on?
2. Who does Jesus fall asleep next to?
3. What is significant about the area of the city that the African-American man's father tried to hurt himself?
4. What place does the poetic imagery the Landlady uses in Part 4 reflect?
5. What condition was Sarah's father in when she saw him in Part 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adrienne Kennedy's play has many complex layers. Discuss how Kennedy uses props and lighting to deliver her message to the audience. Choose three specific props or lighting techniques and discuss why you feel they are the most effective. Include in your answer, how they are used in the play, and what the props or lighting symbolize.
Essay Topic 2
Sarah and her father attempt to reconcile on Easter. Discuss why this holiday is significant to the play and to the character of Sarah. Choose one other religious theme within the play and discuss how it is relevant to the theme of racial identity.
Essay Topic 3
The African-American man's father wanted to become a messiah for his people. How was he going to become a messiah and for what purpose? What statement is Adrienne Kennedy making by creating this goal for the character?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)