|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the African-American man's mother and father on their travels?
2. Who returns to the stage in Part 4?
3. What does the character in Part 4 do when he or she realizes his or her hair fell out?
4. Who's story is the African-American man telling?
5. What didn't the African-American man's mother want him to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Adrienne Kennedy's use of the noose and the cross in her play. How are these two items symbolically similar? How are they different? How do both objects speak to Kennedy's theme of racial identity? Site specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolic nature of the hair loss each character experiences. What does the hair loss signify? Why is it important? How do the characters hide their hair loss and what does this concealment mean? Choose two characters and discuss what events cause their hair loss. Site specific examples from the text to make your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the historical significance of Patrice Lumumba and how Adrienne Kennedy uses him in her play. How does the life of Patrice Lumumba bring forth the message that Kennedy is trying to convey?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)