|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What didn't the African-American man's mother want him to do?
2. How does a character calm down the balding character in Part 4?
3. What happens when Jesus wakes up in Part 4?
4. What does the cross symbolize in the play?
5. How safe was the neighborhood that the African-American man's father tried to harm himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Raymond's role in Adrienne Kennedy's play? How is he similar or different to the landlady? Discuss the outfit Kennedy describes Raymond wearing. What is symbolic about this outfit?
Essay Topic 2
Adrienne Kennedy specifically mentions Harlem in her play. Describe the history of Harlem and write about the relevance of Harlem in the play's theme of racial identity.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Adrienne Kennedy's use of the noose and the cross in her play. How are these two items symbolically similar? How are they different? How do both objects speak to Kennedy's theme of racial identity? Site specific examples from the text.
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)