|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing the Duchess and Jesus speak about?
2. What was the African-American man's father doing prior to what he did to African-American man's mother?
3. What part of the city was the African-American man's father in when he tried to hurt himself?
4. Who calms down the balding character in Part 4?
5. What sound is heard in Part 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Adrienne Kennedy use the character of the Landlady in a way similar Greek chorus? Describe a traditional Greek chorus' role in the theater.What is the Landlady's role in the play? What relationship does the audience have with her?
Essay Topic 2
What real world events influence Adrienne Kennedy? How does she incorporate world events into her play? Does she do so subtly or are they obvious? Choose one real event or person that influences Kennedy and discuss how it manifests itself in her play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of racial identity in this play. How does Adrienne Kennedy weave this theme throughout her play? How does racial identity drive the actions of the characters? Choose two characters and compare and contrast the ways they deal with racial identity in this play.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)