|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the neighborhood the African-American man's father tried to harm himself in signify to Sarah?
2. What sound is heard in Part 4?
3. What was the African-American man's father doing prior to what he did to African-American man's mother?
4. What didn't the African-American man's mother want him to do?
5. The African-American man says his father tried to hurt himself at the end of Part 3. What did he try and do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Adrienne Kennedy use the character of the Landlady in a way similar Greek chorus? Describe a traditional Greek chorus' role in the theater.What is the Landlady's role in the play? What relationship does the audience have with her?
Essay Topic 2
Sarah and her father attempt to reconcile on Easter. Discuss why this holiday is significant to the play and to the character of Sarah. Choose one other religious theme within the play and discuss how it is relevant to the theme of racial identity.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the central conflicts present in Adrienne Kennedy's play. Discuss the importance of this conflict and how it effects one character other then Sarah. How does this conflict help express the theme of racial identity? Site specific examples from the text to make your argument.
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)