|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the African-American man's father's reaction to the treatment of his wife?
2. Who wanted the African-American man to achieve an unattainable goal in Part 3?
3. What does the neighborhood the African-American man's father tried to harm himself in signify to Sarah?
4. The African-American man is telling another character's story. What aspect of this character's life do we learn through the African-American man?
5. Who did Sarah's father's mother want him to become?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Adrienne Kennedy utilize religion throughout the play? Chose two characters from the play and discuss how religion effects each character. How does religion tie into Kennedy's theme of racial identity?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the knocking sound throughout the play. When does the knocking sound occur? Who makes the noise? What does the knocking represent? Site specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the play Sarah is confronted by a statue of Queen Victoria. Who is Queen Victoria? Describe her role in the play? Who is she in real life? Why does this final confrontation result in Sarah's death? Site specific examples from the text to make your argument.
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)