|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is heard throughout the scene with the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria?
2. What color does "Negro" believe to be the color of evil?
3. What does the Duchess bring to the Queen?
4. What does the white woman do as she walks across the stage?
5. What is the African-American man's dream symbolic of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character, the Landlady.
2. How does Sarah describe the rooms around her?
3. What does Raymond accuse Sarah of? What is the truth?
4. Why is Sarah's hair falling out?
5. Where did the African-American man's father's mother want him to travel and why?
6. What does the Duchess tell Raymond about her father in Part 2?
7. Why does Patrice Lumumba's hair fall out?
8. How does the lighting in Part 5 change the setting?
9. In Part 1, who does the audience learn is knocking?
10. Where did the African-American man's mother end up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the historical significance of Patrice Lumumba and how Adrienne Kennedy uses him in her play. How does the life of Patrice Lumumba bring forth the message that Kennedy is trying to convey?
Essay Topic 2
Adrienne Kennedy specifically mentions Harlem in her play. Describe the history of Harlem and write about the relevance of Harlem in the play's theme of racial identity.
Essay Topic 3
Sarah and her father attempt to reconcile on Easter. Discuss why this holiday is significant to the play and to the character of Sarah. Choose one other religious theme within the play and discuss how it is relevant to the theme of racial identity.
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)