|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who opens Part 2 of Adrienne Kennedy's play?
2. Where does "Negro" tell people she lives?
3. What did the person the African-American man dreamed about keep saying?
4. What does the African-American man say happened to his hair?
5. What is the African-American man's dream symbolic of?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1, who does the audience learn is knocking?
2. Describe Patrice Lumumba.
3. Why does Patrice Lumumba's hair fall out?
4. Who appears onstage after the lights go out in Part 5 and what does she announce?
5. Describe the Duchess and Queen Victoria the first time the audience sees them.
6. What happened to the African-American man's father?
7. What does the Duchess tell Raymond about her father in Part 2?
8. How does Sarah describe the rooms around her?
9. Who does Jesus believe his father is?
10. What is symbolic about Sarah saying she killed her own father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sarah and her father attempt to reconcile on Easter. Discuss why this holiday is significant to the play and to the character of Sarah. Choose one other religious theme within the play and discuss how it is relevant to the theme of racial identity.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the historical significance of Patrice Lumumba and how Adrienne Kennedy uses him in her play. How does the life of Patrice Lumumba bring forth the message that Kennedy is trying to convey?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the play Sarah is confronted by a statue of Queen Victoria. Who is Queen Victoria? Describe her role in the play? Who is she in real life? Why does this final confrontation result in Sarah's death? Site specific examples from the text to make your argument.
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)