|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria wear on their faces?
2. Who is making the noise that the the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria hear throughout the scene?
3. What does Sarah claim she used to kill her father?
4. What did the Duchess' father do to her mother?
5. On what did "Negro" write poetry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the African-American man's father tell his son was going to come after him?
2. Describe the African-American man that walks on stage in Part 2.
3. Who was the African-American man's grandmother against her son marrying?
4. What does the Landlady believe about Sarah's father's death?
5. What is symbolic about the mask the African-American man carries on stage?
6. Which character returns to the stage and whose story does she tell?
7. What does the truth Raymond reveals about Sarah say about her?
8. Whose story do the characters on stage in Part 5 tell? What do they repeat over and over?
9. What did Sarah's father say his existence depends on and what does this mean?
10. What sound occurs during the Duchess' scene with Jesus? Who makes the knocking noise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of racial identity in this play. How does Adrienne Kennedy weave this theme throughout her play? How does racial identity drive the actions of the characters? Choose two characters and compare and contrast the ways they deal with racial identity in this play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the knocking sound throughout the play. When does the knocking sound occur? Who makes the noise? What does the knocking represent? Site specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the central conflicts present in Adrienne Kennedy's play. Discuss the importance of this conflict and how it effects one character other then Sarah. How does this conflict help express the theme of racial identity? Site specific examples from the text to make your argument.
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)