|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the audience realize the white woman is muttering as she crosses the stage a second time?
2. What occupation did "Negro" used to hold?
3. What was the person the African-American man dreamed about doing?
4. What color dress does the woman Adrienne Kennedy refers to as "Negro" wear?
5. Who does the African-American man that walks on stage represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Jesus believe his father is?
2. How does the Duchess react to Jesus' hair falling out?
3. What is symbolic about Harlem in Part 3?
4. What does the audience see after the stage goes into darkness?
5. Describe the character, the Landlady.
6. What do the Duchess and Jesus do to each other in Part 4?
7. Where did the African-American man's father's mother want him to travel and why?
8. What appears in the center of the stage? How does Sarah react?
9. What did Sarah's father say his existence depends on and what does this mean?
10. Why is Sarah's hair falling out?
Essay Topic 1
Monologues are prevalent in Adrienne Kennedy's play. Define what a monologue is and how Kennedy uses them in her play. Why did Kennedy elect to use monologues rather then conversations between characters to tell Sarah's story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss who you believe is the protagonist of this play. Include in your answer the definition of protagonist. Can more the one protagonist exist? Do you believe there is more then one in this play? Site specific examples from the text to make your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Adrienne Kennedy's use of the noose and the cross in her play. How are these two items symbolically similar? How are they different? How do both objects speak to Kennedy's theme of racial identity? Site specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)