|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The African-American man reappears in the scene with the Duchess and the Queen. What is he carrying?
2. What was happening to the person the African-American man dreamed about?
3. What does the African-American man say happened to his hair?
4. At the start of the play a white woman walks across the stage. What is the white woman wearing?
5. How does Adrienne Kennedy describe the Landlady's character?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the set at the opening of Adrienne Kennedy's play.
2. Who does Jesus believe his father is?
3. Where did the African-American man's mother end up?
4. What is symbolic about the cross in Part 3?
5. What is symbolic about the mask the African-American man carries on stage?
6. What does the African-American man's father feel about himself?
7. Describe the character, the Landlady.
8. How does the Duchess help Jesus cope with his missing hair?
9. What does the audience see after the stage goes into darkness?
10. Describe Patrice Lumumba.
Essay Topic 1
What real world events influence Adrienne Kennedy? How does she incorporate world events into her play? Does she do so subtly or are they obvious? Choose one real event or person that influences Kennedy and discuss how it manifests itself in her play.
Essay Topic 2
Adrienne Kennedy's play has many complex layers. Discuss how Kennedy uses props and lighting to deliver her message to the audience. Choose three specific props or lighting techniques and discuss why you feel they are the most effective. Include in your answer, how they are used in the play, and what the props or lighting symbolize.
Essay Topic 3
How does Adrienne Kennedy use the character of the Landlady in a way similar Greek chorus? Describe a traditional Greek chorus' role in the theater.What is the Landlady's role in the play? What relationship does the audience have with her?
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)