|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the play open?
2. What does the Landlady say happened to Sarah's father?
3. What sound is heard throughout Part 2?
4. What color does "Negro" believe to be the color of evil?
5. What does the African American man claim he was born between?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Duchess and Queen Victoria the first time the audience sees them.
2. What does the audience see after the stage goes into darkness?
3. Where did the African-American man's mother end up?
4. Whose story does the African-American man tell in Part 3?
5. How does the Duchess react to Jesus' hair falling out?
6. Whose point of view do the characters on stage begin to speak from? What do they say?
7. What hope did the African-American man's father's mother have for him?
8. Whose story do the characters on stage in Part 5 tell? What do they repeat over and over?
9. What did Sarah's father send her and why?
10. Describe the character, the Landlady.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of racial identity in this play. How does Adrienne Kennedy weave this theme throughout her play? How does racial identity drive the actions of the characters? Choose two characters and compare and contrast the ways they deal with racial identity in this play.
Essay Topic 2
What real world events influence Adrienne Kennedy? How does she incorporate world events into her play? Does she do so subtly or are they obvious? Choose one real event or person that influences Kennedy and discuss how it manifests itself in her play.
Essay Topic 3
How does the set of the play influence the audiences reaction to the play? How does the set influence the message the author is trying to convey? Site specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)