|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color does "Negro" believe to be the color of evil?
2. At the start of the play a white woman walks across the stage. What is the white woman wearing?
3. On what did "Negro" write poetry?
4. How does Adrienne Kennedy describe the Landlady's character?
5. Where are the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria in Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the set at the opening of Adrienne Kennedy's play.
2. What does the truth Raymond reveals about Sarah say about her?
3. What did Sarah's father say his existence depends on and what does this mean?
4. What does the Duchess tell Raymond about her father in Part 2?
5. What emotions does the Duchess feel towards her father?
6. How does the lighting in Part 5 change the setting?
7. What do the Duchess and Jesus do to each other in Part 4?
8. What does Raymond accuse Sarah of? What is the truth?
9. What sound occurs during the Duchess' scene with Jesus? Who makes the knocking noise?
10. Where did the African-American man's mother end up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adrienne Kennedy's play has many complex layers. Discuss how Kennedy uses props and lighting to deliver her message to the audience. Choose three specific props or lighting techniques and discuss why you feel they are the most effective. Include in your answer, how they are used in the play, and what the props or lighting symbolize.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the knocking sound throughout the play. When does the knocking sound occur? Who makes the noise? What does the knocking represent? Site specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
How does Adrienne Kennedy utilize religion throughout the play? Chose two characters from the play and discuss how religion effects each character. How does religion tie into Kennedy's theme of racial identity?
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)