Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The African-American man reappears in the scene with the Duchess and the Queen. What is he carrying?
2. What was happening to the person the African-American man dreamed about?
3. What does the African-American man say happened to his hair?
4. At the start of the play a white woman walks across the stage. What is the white woman wearing?
5. How does Adrienne Kennedy describe the Landlady's character?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the set at the opening of Adrienne Kennedy's play.
2. Who does Jesus believe his father is?
3. Where did the African-American man's mother end up?
4. What is symbolic about the cross in Part 3?
5. What is symbolic about the mask the African-American man carries on stage?
6. What does the African-American man's father feel about himself?
7. Describe the character, the Landlady.
8. How does the Duchess help Jesus cope with his missing hair?
9. What does the audience see after the stage goes into darkness?
10. Describe Patrice Lumumba.
Essay Topic 1
What is Raymond's role in Adrienne Kennedy's play? How is he similar or different to the landlady? Discuss the outfit Kennedy describes Raymond wearing. What is symbolic about this outfit?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolic nature of the hair loss each character experiences. What does the hair loss signify? Why is it important? How do the characters hide their hair loss and what does this concealment mean? Choose two characters and discuss what events cause their hair loss. Site specific examples from the text to make your argument.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the play Sarah is confronted by a statue of Queen Victoria. Who is Queen Victoria? Describe her role in the play? Who is she in real life? Why does this final confrontation result in Sarah's death? Site specific examples from the text to make your argument.
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)