|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the hairpieces that the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria wear made of?
2. What is the play's stage setting supposed to represent?
3. Who does "Negro" transform into?
4. What is the African-American man's dream symbolic of?
5. At the start of the play a white woman walks across the stage. What is the white woman wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the audience see after the stage goes into darkness?
2. What does the white woman who crosses the stage in the white nightgown say the first time? What does she say the second time she crosses the stage?
3. What is symbolic about Harlem in Part 3?
4. Describe Patrice Lumumba.
5. What did the African-American man's father do to his mother? Why?
6. Why is Sarah's hair falling out?
7. Who appears on stage with Sarah and what does he do to Sarah?
8. What did Sarah's father send her and why?
9. How does Sarah describe herself?
10. What sound occurs during the Duchess' scene with Jesus? Who makes the knocking noise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolic nature of the hair loss each character experiences. What does the hair loss signify? Why is it important? How do the characters hide their hair loss and what does this concealment mean? Choose two characters and discuss what events cause their hair loss. Site specific examples from the text to make your argument.
Essay Topic 2
What real world events influence Adrienne Kennedy? How does she incorporate world events into her play? Does she do so subtly or are they obvious? Choose one real event or person that influences Kennedy and discuss how it manifests itself in her play.
Essay Topic 3
How does Adrienne Kennedy utilize religion throughout the play? Chose two characters from the play and discuss how religion effects each character. How does religion tie into Kennedy's theme of racial identity?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)