|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Duchess' reaction to her father cause her to do?
2. Who does the African American man refer to himself as?
3. What does Queen Victoria say in her scene with the Duchess in Part 2?
4. What sound is heard throughout Part 2?
5. How does the African-American man feel about himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the African-American man's father tell his son was going to come after him?
2. What is symbolic about the mask the African-American man carries on stage?
3. What happened when Sarah tried to visit her father?
4. What does the Duchess tell Raymond about her father in Part 2?
5. Describe the African-American man that walks on stage in Part 2.
6. Who appears onstage after the lights go out in Part 5 and what does she announce?
7. Whose point of view do the characters on stage begin to speak from? What do they say?
8. What is symbolic about Sarah saying she killed her own father?
9. Describe the African-American man's dream in Part 2.
10. What happened to the African-American man's father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Adrienne Kennedy's background influence the topic of this this play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss who you believe is the protagonist of this play. Include in your answer the definition of protagonist. Can more the one protagonist exist? Do you believe there is more then one in this play? Site specific examples from the text to make your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the historical significance of Patrice Lumumba and how Adrienne Kennedy uses him in her play. How does the life of Patrice Lumumba bring forth the message that Kennedy is trying to convey?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)