|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Part 2, what does the African-American man claim he did?
2. What is symbolic about what the Duchess is losing?
3. What did the person the African-American man dreamed about do to the African-American man?
4. What does the object around "Negro's" neck symbolize?
5. Who does "Negro" transform into?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of "Negro."
2. When Jesus wakes up who does he say he will kill and for who?
3. What is symbolic about the cross in Part 3?
4. Describe the character, the Landlady.
5. What does the Duchess tell Raymond about her father in Part 2?
6. What does the white woman who crosses the stage in the white nightgown say the first time? What does she say the second time she crosses the stage?
7. Whose point of view do the characters on stage begin to speak from? What do they say?
8. What does the truth Raymond reveals about Sarah say about her?
9. What hope did the African-American man's father's mother have for him?
10. Whose story does the African-American man tell in Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adrienne Kennedy specifically mentions Harlem in her play. Describe the history of Harlem and write about the relevance of Harlem in the play's theme of racial identity.
Essay Topic 2
What is Raymond's role in Adrienne Kennedy's play? How is he similar or different to the landlady? Discuss the outfit Kennedy describes Raymond wearing. What is symbolic about this outfit?
Essay Topic 3
What real world events influence Adrienne Kennedy? How does she incorporate world events into her play? Does she do so subtly or are they obvious? Choose one real event or person that influences Kennedy and discuss how it manifests itself in her play.
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)