|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Landlady repeatedly do?
2. At the end of Part 2, what does the African-American man claim he did?
3. Who does the African-American man say he dreamed about?
4. What did the person the African-American man dreamed about keep saying?
5. What is symbolic about the African-American man's hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Sarah's father went to visit her?
2. What does the white woman who crosses the stage in the white nightgown say the first time? What does she say the second time she crosses the stage?
3. Whose story does the African-American man tell in Part 3?
4. What does the African-American man's father feel about himself?
5. Why does Jesus scream at the start of Part 4?
6. How does Sarah describe herself?
7. What did the African-American man's father tell his son was going to come after him?
8. How does Sarah describe the rooms around her?
9. What appears in the center of the stage? How does Sarah react?
10. What hope did the African-American man's father's mother have for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Adrienne Kennedy's use of the noose and the cross in her play. How are these two items symbolically similar? How are they different? How do both objects speak to Kennedy's theme of racial identity? Site specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the knocking sound throughout the play. When does the knocking sound occur? Who makes the noise? What does the knocking represent? Site specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the historical significance of Patrice Lumumba and how Adrienne Kennedy uses him in her play. How does the life of Patrice Lumumba bring forth the message that Kennedy is trying to convey?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)