|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Duchess' reaction to her father cause her to do?
2. Who is Raymond?
3. Why does the Landlady believe Sarah's hair is falling out?
4. What does "Negro" claim is her only African-American feature?
5. Who does "Negro" transform into?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the characters begin speaking in unison what do they say?
2. Whose story does the African-American man tell in Part 3?
3. Who appears on stage with Sarah and what does he do to Sarah?
4. Describe how Sarah says she killed her father.
5. What does the Duchess say about her mother?
6. Whose story do the characters on stage in Part 5 tell? What do they repeat over and over?
7. Describe Patrice Lumumba.
8. Which character returns to the stage and whose story does she tell?
9. What sound occurs during the Duchess' scene with Jesus? Who makes the knocking noise?
10. What does the Duchess tell Raymond about her father in Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the play Sarah is confronted by a statue of Queen Victoria. Who is Queen Victoria? Describe her role in the play? Who is she in real life? Why does this final confrontation result in Sarah's death? Site specific examples from the text to make your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of racial identity in this play. How does Adrienne Kennedy weave this theme throughout her play? How does racial identity drive the actions of the characters? Choose two characters and compare and contrast the ways they deal with racial identity in this play.
Essay Topic 3
How does Adrienne Kennedy utilize religion throughout the play? Chose two characters from the play and discuss how religion effects each character. How does religion tie into Kennedy's theme of racial identity?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)