|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the white statue in "Negro's" room of?
2. What is symbolic about what the Duchess is losing?
3. What are the hairpieces that the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria wear made of?
4. What does the Duchess ask Raymond to do?
5. What does the Duchess think her father wants to do to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Jesus believe his father is?
2. What happened when Sarah's father went to visit her?
3. When the characters begin speaking in unison what do they say?
4. What does the Duchess tell Raymond about her father in Part 2?
5. What is symbolic about the cross in Part 3?
6. Whose story does the African-American man tell in Part 3?
7. What hope did the African-American man's father's mother have for him?
8. What is the symbolism behind the new setting in Part 5?
9. In Part 1, who does the audience learn is knocking?
10. What does the Duchess look like at the start of Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the central conflicts present in Adrienne Kennedy's play. Discuss the importance of this conflict and how it effects one character other then Sarah. How does this conflict help express the theme of racial identity? Site specific examples from the text to make your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the historical significance of Patrice Lumumba and how Adrienne Kennedy uses him in her play. How does the life of Patrice Lumumba bring forth the message that Kennedy is trying to convey?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss who you believe is the protagonist of this play. Include in your answer the definition of protagonist. Can more the one protagonist exist? Do you believe there is more then one in this play? Site specific examples from the text to make your argument.
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)