Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The African-American man reappears in the scene with the Duchess and the Queen. What is he carrying?
2. What was happening to the person the African-American man dreamed about?
3. What does the African-American man say happened to his hair?
4. At the start of the play a white woman walks across the stage. What is the white woman wearing?
5. How does Adrienne Kennedy describe the Landlady's character?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the set at the opening of Adrienne Kennedy's play.
2. Who does Jesus believe his father is?
3. Where did the African-American man's mother end up?
4. What is symbolic about the cross in Part 3?
5. What is symbolic about the mask the African-American man carries on stage?
6. What does the African-American man's father feel about himself?
7. Describe the character, the Landlady.
8. How does the Duchess help Jesus cope with his missing hair?
9. What does the audience see after the stage goes into darkness?
10. Describe Patrice Lumumba.
Essay Topic 1
Monologues are prevalent in Adrienne Kennedy's play. Define what a monologue is and how Kennedy uses them in her play. Why did Kennedy elect to use monologues rather then conversations between characters to tell Sarah's story?
Essay Topic 2
What real world events influence Adrienne Kennedy? How does she incorporate world events into her play? Does she do so subtly or are they obvious? Choose one real event or person that influences Kennedy and discuss how it manifests itself in her play.
Essay Topic 3
Adrienne Kennedy specifically mentions Harlem in her play. Describe the history of Harlem and write about the relevance of Harlem in the play's theme of racial identity.
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)