|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Landlady say Sarah stays?
2. Where does the Duchess say her mother is?
3. Who does the Duchess represent?
4. What city does "Negro" tell the audience she lives in?
5. What causes "Negro" to lose her hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the African-American man's father tell his son was going to come after him?
2. Whose story does the African-American man tell in Part 3?
3. When the characters begin speaking in unison what do they say?
4. What appears in the center of the stage? How does Sarah react?
5. What did Sarah's father send her and why?
6. What is symbolic about Sarah saying she killed her own father?
7. Why does Patrice Lumumba's hair fall out?
8. Where did the African-American man's mother end up?
9. What does the Duchess look like at the start of Part 2?
10. When Jesus wakes up who does he say he will kill and for who?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the central conflicts present in Adrienne Kennedy's play. Discuss the importance of this conflict and how it effects one character other then Sarah. How does this conflict help express the theme of racial identity? Site specific examples from the text to make your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the knocking sound throughout the play. When does the knocking sound occur? Who makes the noise? What does the knocking represent? Site specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What real world events influence Adrienne Kennedy? How does she incorporate world events into her play? Does she do so subtly or are they obvious? Choose one real event or person that influences Kennedy and discuss how it manifests itself in her play.
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)