|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color does "Negro" believe to be the color of evil?
2. Who is Raymond?
3. What does Queen Victoria discover in her scene?
4. What is Raymond dressed as?
5. What ethnicity is the person who makes the continuous noise in Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Sarah tried to visit her father?
2. Describe Patrice Lumumba.
3. What is symbolic about the bag of hair the Duchess brings on stage?
4. How does the Duchess react to Jesus' hair falling out?
5. Describe how Sarah says she killed her father.
6. What does the African-American man's father feel about himself?
7. What is symbolic about Harlem in Part 3?
8. Why does Jesus scream at the start of Part 4?
9. What does the Duchess look like at the start of Part 2?
10. Who appears on stage with Sarah and what does he do to Sarah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sarah and her father attempt to reconcile on Easter. Discuss why this holiday is significant to the play and to the character of Sarah. Choose one other religious theme within the play and discuss how it is relevant to the theme of racial identity.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolic nature of the hair loss each character experiences. What does the hair loss signify? Why is it important? How do the characters hide their hair loss and what does this concealment mean? Choose two characters and discuss what events cause their hair loss. Site specific examples from the text to make your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Adrienne Kennedy's use of the noose and the cross in her play. How are these two items symbolically similar? How are they different? How do both objects speak to Kennedy's theme of racial identity? Site specific examples from the text.
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)