|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Landlady believe Sarah's hair is falling out?
2. Who is Raymond?
3. What ethnicity is the person who makes the continuous noise in Part 1?
4. What do the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria wear on their faces?
5. Where does the Landlady say Sarah stays?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Patrice Lumumba's hair fall out?
2. Whose story do the characters on stage in Part 5 tell? What do they repeat over and over?
3. How did the African-American man take care of his mother? What was his father's reaction?
4. Who appears on stage with Sarah and what does he do to Sarah?
5. How does the Duchess help Jesus cope with his missing hair?
6. What does the Landlady believe about Sarah's father's death?
7. What happened when Sarah tried to visit her father?
8. In Part 1, who does the audience learn is knocking?
9. What does the audience see after the stage goes into darkness?
10. What happened when Sarah's father went to visit her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Adrienne Kennedy's background influence the topic of this this play?
Essay Topic 2
Sarah and her father attempt to reconcile on Easter. Discuss why this holiday is significant to the play and to the character of Sarah. Choose one other religious theme within the play and discuss how it is relevant to the theme of racial identity.
Essay Topic 3
How does Adrienne Kennedy use the character of the Landlady in a way similar Greek chorus? Describe a traditional Greek chorus' role in the theater.What is the Landlady's role in the play? What relationship does the audience have with her?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)