|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the African American man claim he was born between?
2. What did the person the African-American man dreamed about do to the African-American man?
3. What hairstyle does the Duchess' mother have?
4. What causes "Negro" to lose her hair?
5. What does "Negro" wear around her neck?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the African-American man's dream in Part 2.
2. What does the African-American man's father feel about himself?
3. What does the audience see after the stage goes into darkness?
4. What does the Duchess tell Raymond about her father in Part 2?
5. Which character returns to the stage and whose story does she tell?
6. What appears in the center of the stage? How does Sarah react?
7. Who is Raymond?
8. Whose story do the characters on stage in Part 5 tell? What do they repeat over and over?
9. What did Sarah's father send her and why?
10. What is symbolic about Harlem in Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Adrienne Kennedy use the character of the Landlady in a way similar Greek chorus? Describe a traditional Greek chorus' role in the theater.What is the Landlady's role in the play? What relationship does the audience have with her?
Essay Topic 2
Adrienne Kennedy specifically mentions Harlem in her play. Describe the history of Harlem and write about the relevance of Harlem in the play's theme of racial identity.
Essay Topic 3
The African-American man's father wanted to become a messiah for his people. How was he going to become a messiah and for what purpose? What statement is Adrienne Kennedy making by creating this goal for the character?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)