|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Duchess missing half of at the start of Part 2?
2. What is the Duchess afraid of in Part 2?
3. Who does the Duchess represent?
4. What is the African-American man's dream symbolic of?
5. What is odd about the Duchess father's presence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose story does the African-American man tell in Part 3?
2. How does the lighting in Part 5 change the setting?
3. In Part 1, who does the audience learn is knocking?
4. Describe the character of "Negro."
5. What happened when Sarah's father went to visit her?
6. What does the Duchess look like at the start of Part 2?
7. What did Sarah's father say his existence depends on and what does this mean?
8. Who appears on stage with Sarah and what does he do to Sarah?
9. Where did the African-American man's mother end up?
10. What does the Duchess say about her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the set of the play influence the audiences reaction to the play? How does the set influence the message the author is trying to convey? Site specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What is Raymond's role in Adrienne Kennedy's play? How is he similar or different to the landlady? Discuss the outfit Kennedy describes Raymond wearing. What is symbolic about this outfit?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the play Sarah is confronted by a statue of Queen Victoria. Who is Queen Victoria? Describe her role in the play? Who is she in real life? Why does this final confrontation result in Sarah's death? Site specific examples from the text to make your argument.
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)