|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does "Negro" transform into?
2. What does Sarah claim she used to kill her father?
3. Why does the Landlady believe Sarah's hair is falling out?
4. Why do the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria feel bound to the Duchess' father?
5. How does Adrienne Kennedy describe the Landlady's character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Sarah tried to visit her father?
2. Where did the African-American man's mother end up?
3. What did Sarah's father say his existence depends on and what does this mean?
4. What emotions does the Duchess feel towards her father?
5. Who is Raymond?
6. What is significant about the Duchess showing Jesus how to wear his hair?
7. What happened to the African-American man's father?
8. Describe the character, the Landlady.
9. What is symbolic about Harlem in Part 3?
10. What did the African-American man's father tell his son was going to come after him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Raymond's role in Adrienne Kennedy's play? How is he similar or different to the landlady? Discuss the outfit Kennedy describes Raymond wearing. What is symbolic about this outfit?
Essay Topic 2
How does Adrienne Kennedy utilize religion throughout the play? Chose two characters from the play and discuss how religion effects each character. How does religion tie into Kennedy's theme of racial identity?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the historical significance of Patrice Lumumba and how Adrienne Kennedy uses him in her play. How does the life of Patrice Lumumba bring forth the message that Kennedy is trying to convey?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)