|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the play open?
2. What is Raymond dressed as?
3. What does the African-American man say happened to his hair?
4. Why does the Landlady believe Sarah's hair is falling out?
5. What is the Duchess afraid of in Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did the African-American man's father's mother want him to travel and why?
2. Describe how Sarah says she killed her father.
3. Describe the character of "Negro."
4. What does the Duchess look like at the start of Part 2?
5. When Jesus wakes up who does he say he will kill and for who?
6. What did the African-American man's father do to his mother? Why?
7. How does the Duchess react to Jesus' hair falling out?
8. Why is Sarah's hair falling out?
9. What is symbolic about the mask the African-American man carries on stage?
10. What does the audience see after the stage goes into darkness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Compare and contrast Adrienne Kennedy's use of the noose and the cross in her play. How are these two items symbolically similar? How are they different? How do both objects speak to Kennedy's theme of racial identity? Site specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2Adrienne Kennedy's play has many complex layers. Discuss how Kennedy uses props and lighting to deliver her message to the audience. Choose three specific props or lighting techniques and discuss why you feel they are the most effective. Include in your answer, how they are used in the play, and what the props or lighting symbolize.
Essay Topic 3Discuss the significance of the knocking sound throughout the play. When does the knocking sound occur? Who makes the noise? What does the knocking represent? Site specific examples from the text.
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)