|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Part 2, what does the African-American man claim he did?
2. What color dress does the woman Adrienne Kennedy refers to as "Negro" wear?
3. What hairstyle does the Duchess' mother have?
4. What is the African-American man's dream symbolic of?
5. What does the African American man claim he was born between?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the African-American man that walks on stage in Part 2.
2. Who was the African-American man's grandmother against her son marrying?
3. What does the truth Raymond reveals about Sarah say about her?
4. How does the Duchess help Jesus cope with his missing hair?
5. Describe how Sarah says she killed her father.
6. What is symbolic about the bag of hair the Duchess brings on stage?
7. Describe Patrice Lumumba.
8. Describe the set at the opening of Adrienne Kennedy's play.
9. What does the Duchess tell Raymond about her father in Part 2?
10. Describe the Duchess and Queen Victoria the first time the audience sees them.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adrienne Kennedy specifically mentions Harlem in her play. Describe the history of Harlem and write about the relevance of Harlem in the play's theme of racial identity.
Essay Topic 2
The African-American man's father wanted to become a messiah for his people. How was he going to become a messiah and for what purpose? What statement is Adrienne Kennedy making by creating this goal for the character?
Essay Topic 3
Adrienne Kennedy's play has many complex layers. Discuss how Kennedy uses props and lighting to deliver her message to the audience. Choose three specific props or lighting techniques and discuss why you feel they are the most effective. Include in your answer, how they are used in the play, and what the props or lighting symbolize.
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)