|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The African-American man reappears in the scene with the Duchess and the Queen. What is he carrying?
2. What was happening to the person the African-American man dreamed about?
3. What does the African-American man say happened to his hair?
4. At the start of the play a white woman walks across the stage. What is the white woman wearing?
5. How does Adrienne Kennedy describe the Landlady's character?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the set at the opening of Adrienne Kennedy's play.
2. Who does Jesus believe his father is?
3. Where did the African-American man's mother end up?
4. What is symbolic about the cross in Part 3?
5. What is symbolic about the mask the African-American man carries on stage?
6. What does the African-American man's father feel about himself?
7. Describe the character, the Landlady.
8. How does the Duchess help Jesus cope with his missing hair?
9. What does the audience see after the stage goes into darkness?
10. Describe Patrice Lumumba.
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the play Sarah is confronted by a statue of Queen Victoria. Who is Queen Victoria? Describe her role in the play? Who is she in real life? Why does this final confrontation result in Sarah's death? Site specific examples from the text to make your argument.
Essay Topic 2
The African-American man's father wanted to become a messiah for his people. How was he going to become a messiah and for what purpose? What statement is Adrienne Kennedy making by creating this goal for the character?
Essay Topic 3
How does the set of the play influence the audiences reaction to the play? How does the set influence the message the author is trying to convey? Site specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)