|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color does "Negro" believe to be the color of evil?
2. What is the African-American man's dream symbolic of?
3. What do the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria wear on their faces?
4. What does Queen Victoria say in her scene with the Duchess in Part 2?
5. Who does the Duchess represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Landlady believe about Sarah's father's death?
2. Who appears on stage with Sarah and what does he do to Sarah?
3. How does the Duchess react to Jesus' hair falling out?
4. Describe the character of "Negro."
5. What did the African-American man's father do to his mother? Why?
6. What emotions does the Duchess feel towards her father?
7. How does the lighting in Part 5 change the setting?
8. What is symbolic about the bag of hair the Duchess brings on stage?
9. Which character returns to the stage and whose story does she tell?
10. What did Sarah's father say his existence depends on and what does this mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the central conflicts present in Adrienne Kennedy's play. Discuss the importance of this conflict and how it effects one character other then Sarah. How does this conflict help express the theme of racial identity? Site specific examples from the text to make your argument.
Essay Topic 2
How does Adrienne Kennedy's background influence the topic of this this play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss who you believe is the protagonist of this play. Include in your answer the definition of protagonist. Can more the one protagonist exist? Do you believe there is more then one in this play? Site specific examples from the text to make your argument.
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)