|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens because of the African-American man's feelings about himself?
2. What do the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria wear on their faces?
3. Who is Raymond?
4. How does the African-American man feel about himself?
5. What color dress does the woman Adrienne Kennedy refers to as "Negro" wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jesus scream at the start of Part 4?
2. What is significant about the Duchess showing Jesus how to wear his hair?
3. What does Raymond accuse Sarah of? What is the truth?
4. Why is Sarah's hair falling out?
5. Describe Patrice Lumumba.
6. What did Sarah's father say his existence depends on and what does this mean?
7. Who is Raymond?
8. What did the African-American man's father do to his mother? Why?
9. Describe the character, the Landlady.
10. What appears in the center of the stage? How does Sarah react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Adrienne Kennedy use the character of the Landlady in a way similar Greek chorus? Describe a traditional Greek chorus' role in the theater.What is the Landlady's role in the play? What relationship does the audience have with her?
Essay Topic 2
Monologues are prevalent in Adrienne Kennedy's play. Define what a monologue is and how Kennedy uses them in her play. Why did Kennedy elect to use monologues rather then conversations between characters to tell Sarah's story?
Essay Topic 3
How does the set of the play influence the audiences reaction to the play? How does the set influence the message the author is trying to convey? Site specific examples from the text.
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)