|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria feel bound to the Duchess' father?
2. What is the job of the Duchess' father symbolic of?
3. Where are the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria in Part 1?
4. What are the hairpieces that the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria wear made of?
5. At the start of the play a white woman walks across the stage. What is the white woman wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the set at the opening of Adrienne Kennedy's play.
2. Where did the African-American man's father's mother want him to travel and why?
3. How does Sarah describe herself?
4. Which character returns to the stage and whose story does she tell?
5. Describe the African-American man that walks on stage in Part 2.
6. What appears in the center of the stage? How does Sarah react?
7. How does the lighting in Part 5 change the setting?
8. Where did the African-American man's mother end up?
9. Who is Raymond?
10. What does Raymond accuse Sarah of? What is the truth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the central conflicts present in Adrienne Kennedy's play. Discuss the importance of this conflict and how it effects one character other then Sarah. How does this conflict help express the theme of racial identity? Site specific examples from the text to make your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Adrienne Kennedy's use of the noose and the cross in her play. How are these two items symbolically similar? How are they different? How do both objects speak to Kennedy's theme of racial identity? Site specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Adrienne Kennedy's play has many complex layers. Discuss how Kennedy uses props and lighting to deliver her message to the audience. Choose three specific props or lighting techniques and discuss why you feel they are the most effective. Include in your answer, how they are used in the play, and what the props or lighting symbolize.
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)