|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Queen Victoria say in her scene with the Duchess in Part 2?
2. What did the person the African-American man dreamed about keep saying?
3. What does Queen Victoria discover in her scene?
4. Where was the person the African-American man dreamed about sitting?
5. What does the Duchess' reaction to her father cause her to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about Harlem in Part 3?
2. What happened when Sarah tried to visit her father?
3. What do the Duchess and Jesus do to each other in Part 4?
4. What did the African-American man's father tell his son was going to come after him?
5. What is symbolic about the bag of hair the Duchess brings on stage?
6. Where did the African-American man's father's mother want him to travel and why?
7. What hope did the African-American man's father's mother have for him?
8. How does the Duchess help Jesus cope with his missing hair?
9. Describe Patrice Lumumba.
10. When Jesus wakes up who does he say he will kill and for who?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Adrienne Kennedy utilize religion throughout the play? Chose two characters from the play and discuss how religion effects each character. How does religion tie into Kennedy's theme of racial identity?
Essay Topic 2
How does Adrienne Kennedy use the character of the Landlady in a way similar Greek chorus? Describe a traditional Greek chorus' role in the theater.What is the Landlady's role in the play? What relationship does the audience have with her?
Essay Topic 3
Monologues are prevalent in Adrienne Kennedy's play. Define what a monologue is and how Kennedy uses them in her play. Why did Kennedy elect to use monologues rather then conversations between characters to tell Sarah's story?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)