|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Duchess' reaction to her father cause her to do?
(a) Lose her job.
(b) Lose her hair.
(c) Lose her money.
(d) Lose her identity.
2. Why does the Landlady believe Sarah's hair is falling out?
(a) Sarah shaves her head.
(b) She is suffering from the death of her father.
3. What does the Landlady tell Sarah about her father?
(a) That her death is her fault.
(b) That his death is not her fault.
(c) That he is not her father.
(d) That her father was an honorable man.
4. What did the Duchess' father do for a job?
(a) He was an actor.
(b) He was a writer.
(c) He was a missionary.
(d) He was a clown.
5. What does "Negro" claim is her only African-American feature?
(a) Her hair.
(b) Her eyes.
(c) Her ears.
(d) Her skin tone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color does "Negro" believe to be the color of evil?
2. What is the play's stage setting supposed to represent?
3. Where does the Landlady say Sarah stays?
4. Who does "Negro" transform into?
5. At the end of Part 2, what does the African-American man claim he did?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the white woman who crosses the stage in the white nightgown say the first time? What does she say the second time she crosses the stage?
2. Describe how Sarah says she killed her father.
3. What does the Duchess say about her mother?
4. Describe the African-American man's dream in Part 2.
5. Who appears on stage with Sarah and what does he do to Sarah?
6. Whose story does the African-American man tell in Part 3?
7. How does the lighting in Part 5 change the setting?
8. What sound occurs during the Duchess' scene with Jesus? Who makes the knocking noise?
9. Who does Jesus believe his father is?
10. What does the Duchess tell Raymond about her father in Part 2?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)