|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Landlady repeatedly do?
2. How does the African-American man speak about his life?
(c) In song.
(d) With joy.
3. What does the white woman do as she walks across the stage?
(a) She mumbles.
(b) She sobs.
(c) She screams.
(d) She laughs.
4. Why do the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria feel bound to the Duchess' father?
(a) Because they are sisters.
(b) Because he keeps returning.
(c) Because he lends them money.
(d) Because they share a home.
5. Who does the Duchess represent?
(a) An element of black history.
(b) An element of the author.
(c) An element of Sarah.
(d) An element of the Landlady.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the African American man refer to himself as?
2. What is symbolic about the African-American man's hair?
3. What ethnicity is the person who makes the continuous noise in Part 1?
4. What did the person the African-American man dreamed about keep saying?
5. Where does the Duchess say her mother is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the African-American man's dream in Part 2.
2. Describe the African-American man that walks on stage in Part 2.
3. What does the Duchess look like at the start of Part 2?
4. What sound occurs during the Duchess' scene with Jesus? Who makes the knocking noise?
5. Which character returns to the stage and whose story does she tell?
6. Where did the African-American man's mother end up?
7. What hope did the African-American man's father's mother have for him?
8. What did the African-American man's father tell his son was going to come after him?
9. How does the lighting in Part 5 change the setting?
10. What do the Duchess and Jesus do to each other in Part 4?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)