|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Landlady believe Sarah's hair is falling out?
(c) She is suffering from the death of her father.
(d) Sarah shaves her head.
2. Where does the Duchess say her mother is?
(a) In a retirement home.
(b) In hell.
(c) In heaven.
(d) In an asylum.
3. An African-American man walks on stage in Part 2. What is he carrying?
(a) A bible.
(b) A mask.
(c) A baby.
(d) A knife.
4. What did the person the African-American man dreamed about keep saying?
(c) "White man."
(d) "Black man."
5. What does the audience realize the white woman is muttering as she crosses the stage a second time?
(a) That the voices will not stop.
(b) That she is God.
(c) That she will never let a white man touch her.
(d) That she will never let a black man touch her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is odd about the Duchess father's presence?
2. What does the Duchess ask Raymond to do?
3. What is the white statue in "Negro's" room of?
4. How does Adrienne Kennedy describe the Landlady's character?
5. What color dress does the woman Adrienne Kennedy refers to as "Negro" wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who appears onstage after the lights go out in Part 5 and what does she announce?
2. When Jesus wakes up who does he say he will kill and for who?
3. Who does Jesus believe his father is?
4. Describe Patrice Lumumba.
5. Why is Sarah's hair falling out?
6. Where did the African-American man's father's mother want him to travel and why?
7. What happened when Sarah tried to visit her father?
8. What is symbolic about the mask the African-American man carries on stage?
9. When the characters begin speaking in unison what do they say?
10. What appears in the center of the stage? How does Sarah react?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)