|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The African-American man reappears in the scene with the Duchess and the Queen. What is he carrying?
(a) A black mask.
(b) A plate of food.
(c) A blanket.
(d) A bag of hair.
2. How does Adrienne Kennedy describe the Landlady's character?
3. What do the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria wear on their faces?
(a) Silk scarves.
(c) Masks or white makeup.
(d) Masks or black makeup.
4. How does the African-American man feel about himself?
(a) He loves himself.
(b) He thinks he is manly.
(c) He despises himself.
(d) He thinks he is handsome.
5. What is symbolic about the African-American man's hair?
(a) It represents the the change in society.
(b) It represents Sarah's shedding of African American identity.
(c) It represents Sarah's growth.
(d) It represents nothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Queen Victoria discover in her scene?
2. What hairstyle does the Duchess' mother have?
3. What did the Duchess' father do for a job?
4. What does the Duchess' reaction to her father cause her to do?
5. Why do the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria feel bound to the Duchess' father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about the cross in Part 3?
2. How does the Duchess help Jesus cope with his missing hair?
3. What does the white woman who crosses the stage in the white nightgown say the first time? What does she say the second time she crosses the stage?
4. What happened when Sarah tried to visit her father?
5. Why is Sarah's hair falling out?
6. How does the lighting in Part 5 change the setting?
7. Describe the set at the opening of Adrienne Kennedy's play.
8. Describe Patrice Lumumba.
9. What did Sarah's father say his existence depends on and what does this mean?
10. How does Sarah describe the rooms around her?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)