|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the job of the Duchess' father symbolic of?
(a) African-Americans losing themselves to the "white man's" religion.
(b) The Harlem Renaissance.
(c) The stereotype of African-Americans as entertainers.
(d) The joy in her family.
2. What does Queen Victoria discover in her scene?
(a) Her limbs are rotting.
(b) Her hair is falling out.
(c) The Duchess is dead.
(d) Her mother is dying.
3. What city does "Negro" tell the audience she lives in?
(d) New York.
4. What do the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria wear on their faces?
(b) Silk scarves.
(c) Masks or black makeup.
(d) Masks or white makeup.
5. At the start of the play a white woman walks across the stage. What is the white woman wearing?
(a) An African dress.
(b) A suit.
(c) A nightgown.
(d) A towel.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what did "Negro" write poetry?
2. Who does the African-American man that walks on stage represent?
3. At the end of Part 2, what does the African-American man claim he did?
4. What is Raymond dressed as?
5. What color does "Negro" believe to be the color of evil?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Duchess help Jesus cope with his missing hair?
2. What does the African-American man's father feel about himself?
3. Why is Sarah's hair falling out?
4. Why does Patrice Lumumba's hair fall out?
5. What is symbolic about the cross in Part 3?
6. Describe the character, the Landlady.
7. Whose story do the characters on stage in Part 5 tell? What do they repeat over and over?
8. When the characters begin speaking in unison what do they say?
9. What is significant about the Duchess showing Jesus how to wear his hair?
10. What does the Landlady believe about Sarah's father's death?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)