|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is heard throughout the scene with the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria?
2. What hairstyle does the Duchess' mother have?
(c) She is bald.
3. The African-American man reappears in the scene with the Duchess and the Queen. What is he carrying?
(a) A blanket.
(b) A bag of hair.
(c) A plate of food.
(d) A black mask.
4. At the start of the play a white woman walks across the stage. What is the white woman wearing?
(a) A nightgown.
(b) A suit.
(c) An African dress.
(d) A towel.
5. What did the person the African-American man dreamed about keep saying?
(a) "Black man."
(c) "White man."
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Duchess' father do to her mother?
2. Where does the play open?
3. What does the white woman do as she walks across the stage?
4. How does the African-American man speak about his life?
5. How does Adrienne Kennedy describe the Landlady's character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about the mask the African-American man carries on stage?
2. In Part 1, who does the audience learn is knocking?
3. Why does Patrice Lumumba's hair fall out?
4. What happened when Sarah's father went to visit her?
5. What does Raymond accuse Sarah of? What is the truth?
6. Who was the African-American man's grandmother against her son marrying?
7. What does the Duchess say about her mother?
8. What is symbolic about Harlem in Part 3?
9. Describe the African-American man that walks on stage in Part 2.
10. Why does Jesus scream at the start of Part 4?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)