|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the job of the Duchess' father symbolic of?
(a) African-Americans losing themselves to the "white man's" religion.
(b) The stereotype of African-Americans as entertainers.
(c) The Harlem Renaissance.
(d) The joy in her family.
2. How does the African-American man feel about himself?
(a) He thinks he is manly.
(b) He thinks he is handsome.
(c) He loves himself.
(d) He despises himself.
3. Who opens Part 2 of Adrienne Kennedy's play?
(a) The Landylady.
(b) The Duchess and Raymond.
(c) Duchess and the queen.
4. Who is Raymond?
(a) A black man.
(b) An Asian man.
(c) A Latino man.
(d) A white man.
5. What did the Duchess' father do for a job?
(a) He was a clown.
(b) He was a missionary.
(c) He was an actor.
(d) He was a writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the person the African-American man dreamed about sitting?
2. What is the play's stage setting supposed to represent?
3. Who does the African American man refer to himself as?
4. What does the Duchess bring to the Queen?
5. What does the white woman do as she walks across the stage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sarah describe herself?
2. How did the African-American man take care of his mother? What was his father's reaction?
3. What is symbolic about Sarah saying she killed her own father?
4. Describe Patrice Lumumba.
5. What does the African-American man's father feel about himself?
6. What is significant about the Duchess showing Jesus how to wear his hair?
7. Describe the African-American man that walks on stage in Part 2.
8. Who was the African-American man's grandmother against her son marrying?
9. When the characters begin speaking in unison what do they say?
10. Describe the character, the Landlady.
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)