|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the African-American man feel about himself?
(a) He loves himself.
(b) He despises himself.
(c) He thinks he is handsome.
(d) He thinks he is manly.
2. Who is making the noise that the the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria hear throughout the scene?
(a) The Queens' father.
(c) The Duchess' father.
(d) The Landlady.
3. What is the African-American man's dream symbolic of?
(a) Sarah's fear of rejection.
(b) The Landlady's fear of intimacy.
(c) Sarah's fear of intimacy.
(d) Sarah's mother's fear of intimacy with an African-American male.
4. What does the Landlady repeatedly do?
5. What is symbolic about what the Duchess is losing?
(a) She is shedding her African American traits.
(b) She is leaving capitalist society.
(c) She is becoming a hippie.
(d) She is sexually confused.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the African American man claim he was born between?
2. At the start of the play a white woman walks across the stage. What is the white woman wearing?
3. What is the white statue in "Negro's" room of?
4. Who does the African-American man say he dreamed about?
5. What does the Landlady believe Sarah thinks she is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the Duchess showing Jesus how to wear his hair?
2. What does the truth Raymond reveals about Sarah say about her?
3. Whose story do the characters on stage in Part 5 tell? What do they repeat over and over?
4. What appears in the center of the stage? How does Sarah react?
5. What does the Duchess tell Raymond about her father in Part 2?
6. What did Sarah's father say his existence depends on and what does this mean?
7. What does Raymond accuse Sarah of? What is the truth?
8. Whose point of view do the characters on stage begin to speak from? What do they say?
9. Describe Patrice Lumumba.
10. What is symbolic about the mask the African-American man carries on stage?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)