|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the person the African-American man dreamed about do to the African-American man?
(a) Hugged him.
(b) Kissed him.
(c) Hurt him.
(d) Chased him.
2. What does "Negro" claim is her only African-American feature?
(a) Her ears.
(b) Her eyes.
(c) Her skin tone.
(d) Her hair.
3. What is the African-American man's dream symbolic of?
(a) Sarah's mother's fear of intimacy with an African-American male.
(b) The Landlady's fear of intimacy.
(c) Sarah's fear of intimacy.
(d) Sarah's fear of rejection.
4. What is the Duchess afraid of in Part 2?
(a) Her sister.
(b) The Queen.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
5. What does the Landlady say happened to Sarah's father?
(a) He moved to the city.
(b) He married a new wife.
(c) He hanged himself.
(d) He shot himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is symbolic about the African-American man's hair?
2. What did the Duchess' father do to her mother?
3. What color does "Negro" believe to be the color of evil?
4. What does the Landlady believe Sarah thinks she is?
5. What does the African American man claim he was born between?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the Duchess showing Jesus how to wear his hair?
2. What does Raymond accuse Sarah of? What is the truth?
3. Who appears on stage with Sarah and what does he do to Sarah?
4. How does Sarah describe herself?
5. What is symbolic about the mask the African-American man carries on stage?
6. What is symbolic about all of the characters losing their hair?
7. Describe the set at the opening of Adrienne Kennedy's play.
8. What does the white woman who crosses the stage in the white nightgown say the first time? What does she say the second time she crosses the stage?
9. When the characters begin speaking in unison what do they say?
10. When Jesus wakes up who does he say he will kill and for who?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)