|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the person the African-American man dreamed about keep saying?
(b) "Black man."
(d) "White man."
2. What does the object around "Negro's" neck symbolize?
(a) The cold climate.
3. Where does "Negro" tell people she lives?
(a) A farm.
(b) The streets.
(c) A small apartment.
(d) A large house.
4. What does the African-American man say happened to his hair?
(a) He dyed it.
(b) He shaved it.
(c) It fell out.
(d) It grew longer.
5. What is symbolic about the African-American man's hair?
(a) It represents nothing.
(b) It represents Sarah's growth.
(c) It represents Sarah's shedding of African American identity.
(d) It represents the the change in society.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the African American man refer to himself as?
2. What color dress does the woman Adrienne Kennedy refers to as "Negro" wear?
3. At the start of the play a white woman walks across the stage. What is the white woman wearing?
4. At the end of Part 2, what does the African-American man claim he did?
5. What does Queen Victoria discover in her scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What emotions does the Duchess feel towards her father?
2. Whose point of view do the characters on stage begin to speak from? What do they say?
3. What does the Duchess tell Raymond about her father in Part 2?
4. Whose story does the African-American man tell in Part 3?
5. How does the Duchess help Jesus cope with his missing hair?
6. What is symbolic about the cross in Part 3?
7. When Jesus wakes up who does he say he will kill and for who?
8. Which character returns to the stage and whose story does she tell?
9. Who appears onstage after the lights go out in Part 5 and what does she announce?
10. What did the African-American man's father do to his mother? Why?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)