|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the person the African-American man dreamed about doing?
(b) Calling to him.
(d) Reading a book.
2. What is the job of the Duchess' father symbolic of?
(a) The joy in her family.
(b) The Harlem Renaissance.
(c) The stereotype of African-Americans as entertainers.
(d) African-Americans losing themselves to the "white man's" religion.
3. What is Raymond dressed as?
(a) A witch.
(b) A funhouse guide.
(c) A warrior.
(d) A waiter.
4. How does Sarah claim she killed her father?
(a) She shot him.
(b) She hanged him.
(c) She knocked him over the head.
(d) She stabbed him.
5. What does the Duchess think her father wants to do to her?
(a) Send her away.
(b) Touch her like he did her mother.
(c) Murder her.
(d) Take her to dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the African American man refer to himself as?
2. What does the Duchess bring to the Queen?
3. Why does the Landlady believe Sarah's hair is falling out?
4. At the end of Part 2, what does the African-American man claim he did?
5. What is symbolic about what the Duchess is losing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sarah's father send her and why?
2. What did the African-American man's father tell his son was going to come after him?
3. What is symbolic about the mask the African-American man carries on stage?
4. When the characters begin speaking in unison what do they say?
5. Where did the African-American man's father's mother want him to travel and why?
6. Describe the set at the opening of Adrienne Kennedy's play.
7. What happened to the African-American man's father?
8. What does Raymond accuse Sarah of? What is the truth?
9. In Part 1, who does the audience learn is knocking?
10. What is symbolic about all of the characters losing their hair?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)