|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who loses his or her hair in Part 4?
(b) The African American man.
(d) The landlady.
2. What was the purpose of the object Sarah's father sent her?
(a) Birthday gift.
3. Where did the African-American man's father and mother travel to?
4. What does the rejection of the African-American man's mother symbolize?
(b) Rejection of society.
5. What did the African-American man's mother want him to learn on his journey?
(a) Re-learn what life was like there.
(b) The school system.
(c) The language.
(d) Successful business methods.
6. What does the holiday that Sarah visits her father on symbolize?
7. What did the African-American man's father say the people that were coming for him were going to do to him?
(a) Arrest him.
(b) Nail him to a cross.
(c) Hang him.
(d) Shoot him.
8. What is significant about the area of the city that the African-American man's father tried to hurt himself?
(a) It was a white neighborhood.
(b) There were no churches.
(c) It was an African American ghetto.
(d) It didn't have transportation.
9. What did the African-American man's mother want him to do with what he learned on his travels?
(a) Start a new business.
(b) Become a writer.
(c) Teach what he learned to his people.
(d) Become a chef.
10. What calms the balding character down in Part 4?
(b) A hot bath.
(c) That the baldness can be hidden.
11. Who calms down the balding character in Part 4?
(b) The Duchess.
(d) The Queen.
12. What does the cross symbolize in the play?
(d) The Klu Klux Klan.
13. Who did Sarah's father's mother want him to become?
(b) A teacher.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A messiah.
14. What did Sarah's father want from her?
(a) Her forgiveness.
(d) Her love.
15. What does the character's hair loss in Part 4 signify?
(c) Loss of love.
(d) Loss of identity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who opens the play in Part 3?
2. What did the African-American man's father feel about himself?
3. What condition was Sarah's father in when she saw him in Part 4?
4. How did the African-American man feel about his mother?
5. What does the neighborhood the African-American man's father tried to harm himself in signify to Sarah?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)