|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Negro" wear around her neck?
(a) A noose.
(b) A scarf.
(c) A crucifix necklace.
(d) A tie.
2. Why does the Landlady believe Sarah's hair is falling out?
(c) She is suffering from the death of her father.
(d) Sarah shaves her head.
3. What does "Negro" long to have?
(b) White friends.
(d) Black friends.
4. What does the African American man claim he was born between?
(a) A mother and father.
(b) A rock and a hard place.
(c) Two worlds.
(d) Two generations.
5. What hairstyle does the Duchess' mother have?
(c) She is bald.
6. What was happening to the person the African-American man dreamed about?
(a) He or she was bleeding.
(b) He or she was getting a hair cut.
(c) He or she was losing their hair.
(d) He or she was dying.
7. How does the African-American man speak about his life?
(c) In song.
(d) With joy.
8. What is the white statue in "Negro's" room of?
(a) Queen Victoria.
9. Why do the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria feel bound to the Duchess' father?
(a) Because he keeps returning.
(b) Because they are sisters.
(c) Because he lends them money.
(d) Because they share a home.
10. What does Sarah claim she used to kill her father?
(a) A gun.
(b) A black skull.
(c) A knife.
(d) A noose.
11. Where does the Landlady say Sarah stays?
(a) In the bar.
(b) In the library.
(c) In her room.
(d) In the closet.
12. What does the Landlady say happened to Sarah's father?
(a) He moved to the city.
(b) He shot himself.
(c) He hanged himself.
(d) He married a new wife.
13. What is Raymond dressed as?
(a) A waiter.
(b) A warrior.
(c) A witch.
(d) A funhouse guide.
14. What is the job of the Duchess' father symbolic of?
(a) The joy in her family.
(b) The Harlem Renaissance.
(c) The stereotype of African-Americans as entertainers.
(d) African-Americans losing themselves to the "white man's" religion.
15. What did the Duchess' father do for a job?
(a) He was an actor.
(b) He was a clown.
(c) He was a missionary.
(d) He was a writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the play open?
2. What does the audience realize the white woman is muttering as she crosses the stage a second time?
3. Who does "Negro" transform into?
4. What does Queen Victoria discover in her scene?
5. What occupation did "Negro" used to hold?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)