|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens because of the African-American man's feelings about himself?
(a) He becomes wealthy.
(b) He receives a promotion.
(c) His hair falls out.
(d) He kills himself.
2. What is Raymond dressed as?
(a) A funhouse guide.
(b) A warrior.
(c) A witch.
(d) A waiter.
3. What did the Duchess' father do to her mother?
(a) He raped her.
(b) He married her.
(c) He killed her.
(d) He divorced her.
4. What color does "Negro" believe to be the color of evil?
5. What does the Landlady say happened to Sarah's father?
(a) He hanged himself.
(b) He moved to the city.
(c) He married a new wife.
(d) He shot himself.
6. At the end of Part 2, what does the African-American man claim he did?
(a) Beat his father to death.
(b) Went to prison.
(c) Became very successful.
(d) Raped a woman.
7. Who is Raymond?
(a) A white man.
(b) An Asian man.
(c) A Latino man.
(d) A black man.
8. What is the play's stage setting supposed to represent?
(a) Downtown Harlem.
(b) A farm.
(c) A circus.
(d) A funhouse.
9. Why do the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria feel bound to the Duchess' father?
(a) Because they are sisters.
(b) Because they share a home.
(c) Because he keeps returning.
(d) Because he lends them money.
10. What hairstyle does the Duchess' mother have?
(b) She is bald.
11. What is symbolic about the African-American man's hair?
(a) It represents Sarah's growth.
(b) It represents the the change in society.
(c) It represents nothing.
(d) It represents Sarah's shedding of African American identity.
12. Who does the Duchess represent?
(a) An element of Sarah.
(b) An element of the author.
(c) An element of the Landlady.
(d) An element of black history.
13. What did the person the African-American man dreamed about keep saying?
(a) "White man."
(d) "Black man."
14. Who opens Part 2 of Adrienne Kennedy's play?
(a) Duchess and the queen.
(c) The Duchess and Raymond.
(d) The Landylady.
15. What does the Landlady tell Sarah about her father?
(a) That he is not her father.
(b) That her death is her fault.
(c) That his death is not her fault.
(d) That her father was an honorable man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes "Negro" to lose her hair?
2. What does Queen Victoria say in her scene with the Duchess in Part 2?
3. What does the Duchess ask Raymond to do?
4. What does the Duchess' reaction to her father cause her to do?
5. What occupation did "Negro" used to hold?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)