|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Duchess' father do to her mother?
(a) He killed her.
(b) He married her.
(c) He divorced her.
(d) He raped her.
2. What is symbolic about what the Duchess is losing?
(a) She is sexually confused.
(b) She is becoming a hippie.
(c) She is leaving capitalist society.
(d) She is shedding her African American traits.
3. What causes "Negro" to lose her hair?
(b) She pulls it out.
4. Where was the person the African-American man dreamed about sitting?
(a) On a beach.
(b) On a chair.
(c) On a bed.
(d) On the floor.
5. Who does the African-American man say he dreamed about?
(a) His father.
(b) His uncle.
(d) His mother.
6. What occupation did "Negro" used to hold?
7. What city does "Negro" tell the audience she lives in?
(c) New York.
8. Who does the Duchess represent?
(a) An element of black history.
(b) An element of Sarah.
(c) An element of the Landlady.
(d) An element of the author.
9. What is the white statue in "Negro's" room of?
(b) Queen Victoria.
10. What does the Landlady repeatedly do?
11. What was the person the African-American man dreamed about doing?
(a) Calling to him.
(b) Reading a book.
12. What is the job of the Duchess' father symbolic of?
(a) African-Americans losing themselves to the "white man's" religion.
(b) The joy in her family.
(c) The stereotype of African-Americans as entertainers.
(d) The Harlem Renaissance.
13. Who opens Part 2 of Adrienne Kennedy's play?
(a) The Landylady.
(b) Duchess and the queen.
(d) The Duchess and Raymond.
14. What is the Duchess afraid of in Part 2?
(a) Her sister.
(b) The Queen.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
15. Where are the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria in Part 1?
(a) The Queen's room.
(b) Sarah's room.
(c) The park.
(d) The chamber room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the African-American man say happened to his hair?
2. Why do the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria feel bound to the Duchess' father?
3. What does the Landlady tell Sarah about her father?
4. How does Sarah claim she killed her father?
5. What is the Duchess missing half of at the start of Part 2?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)