|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sarah claim she used to kill her father?
(a) A noose.
(b) A gun.
(c) A black skull.
(d) A knife.
2. Where does the Landlady say Sarah stays?
(a) In the bar.
(b) In the closet.
(c) In her room.
(d) In the library.
3. At the start of the play a white woman walks across the stage. What is the white woman wearing?
(a) An African dress.
(b) A suit.
(c) A towel.
(d) A nightgown.
4. Where does the Duchess say her mother is?
(a) In an asylum.
(b) In hell.
(c) In a retirement home.
(d) In heaven.
5. Why do the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria feel bound to the Duchess' father?
(a) Because they share a home.
(b) Because they are sisters.
(c) Because he keeps returning.
(d) Because he lends them money.
6. What is the African-American man's dream symbolic of?
(a) Sarah's mother's fear of intimacy with an African-American male.
(b) The Landlady's fear of intimacy.
(c) Sarah's fear of rejection.
(d) Sarah's fear of intimacy.
7. What city does "Negro" tell the audience she lives in?
(d) New York.
8. Who opens Part 2 of Adrienne Kennedy's play?
(a) The Duchess and Raymond.
(b) Duchess and the queen.
(c) The Landylady.
9. What does the audience realize the white woman is muttering as she crosses the stage a second time?
(a) That she will never let a black man touch her.
(b) That she is God.
(c) That she will never let a white man touch her.
(d) That the voices will not stop.
10. How does the African-American man speak about his life?
(a) With joy.
(c) In song.
11. What is heard throughout the scene with the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria?
12. What does the Duchess think her father wants to do to her?
(a) Take her to dinner.
(b) Send her away.
(c) Murder her.
(d) Touch her like he did her mother.
13. An African-American man walks on stage in Part 2. What is he carrying?
(a) A knife.
(b) A mask.
(c) A baby.
(d) A bible.
14. Where does "Negro" tell people she lives?
(a) A farm.
(b) A large house.
(c) A small apartment.
(d) The streets.
15. What does the Landlady repeatedly do?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Queen Victoria say in her scene with the Duchess in Part 2?
2. What was the person the African-American man dreamed about doing?
3. What color does "Negro" believe to be the color of evil?
4. What does "Negro" long to have?
5. What is odd about the Duchess father's presence?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)