|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria in Part 1?
(a) The chamber room.
(b) The park.
(c) Sarah's room.
(d) The Queen's room.
2. Why does the Landlady believe Sarah's hair is falling out?
(c) She is suffering from the death of her father.
(d) Sarah shaves her head.
3. What does "Negro" long to have?
(a) Black friends.
(d) White friends.
4. Who does the African-American man that walks on stage represent?
(a) Sarah's father.
(b) Sarah's brother.
(c) Sarah's boyfriend.
(d) Sarah's son.
5. What does "Negro" claim is her only African-American feature?
(a) Her eyes.
(b) Her skin tone.
(c) Her ears.
(d) Her hair.
6. What is heard throughout the scene with the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria?
7. What is the play's stage setting supposed to represent?
(a) A funhouse.
(b) A farm.
(c) A circus.
(d) Downtown Harlem.
8. What occupation did "Negro" used to hold?
9. Why do the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria feel bound to the Duchess' father?
(a) Because they are sisters.
(b) Because he lends them money.
(c) Because he keeps returning.
(d) Because they share a home.
10. What city does "Negro" tell the audience she lives in?
(d) New York.
11. What does the Duchess' reaction to her father cause her to do?
(a) Lose her money.
(b) Lose her identity.
(c) Lose her job.
(d) Lose her hair.
12. What does Queen Victoria discover in her scene?
(a) Her limbs are rotting.
(b) Her hair is falling out.
(c) The Duchess is dead.
(d) Her mother is dying.
13. What color dress does the woman Adrienne Kennedy refers to as "Negro" wear?
14. What does the Duchess ask Raymond to do?
(a) Marry her.
(b) Hide her.
(c) Kill her.
(d) Kiss her.
15. What is symbolic about what the Duchess is losing?
(a) She is sexually confused.
(b) She is leaving capitalist society.
(c) She is becoming a hippie.
(d) She is shedding her African American traits.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Adrienne Kennedy describe the Landlady's character?
2. Where does "Negro" tell people she lives?
3. What are the hairpieces that the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria wear made of?
4. Who is making the noise that the the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria hear throughout the scene?
5. What does the Landlady say happened to Sarah's father?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)