|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Negro" claim is her only African-American feature?
(a) Her ears.
(b) Her eyes.
(c) Her hair.
(d) Her skin tone.
2. What color does "Negro" believe to be the color of evil?
3. Who does the Duchess represent?
(a) An element of the author.
(b) An element of Sarah.
(c) An element of black history.
(d) An element of the Landlady.
4. What was happening to the person the African-American man dreamed about?
(a) He or she was bleeding.
(b) He or she was dying.
(c) He or she was losing their hair.
(d) He or she was getting a hair cut.
5. What does the audience realize the white woman is muttering as she crosses the stage a second time?
(a) That she is God.
(b) That she will never let a black man touch her.
(c) That the voices will not stop.
(d) That she will never let a white man touch her.
6. What did the Duchess' father do to her mother?
(a) He divorced her.
(b) He killed her.
(c) He married her.
(d) He raped her.
7. What is the white statue in "Negro's" room of?
(b) Queen Victoria.
8. What is odd about the Duchess father's presence?
(a) He climbs through the window.
(b) He is not invited.
(c) He has three fingers.
(d) He is dead.
9. What are the hairpieces that the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria wear made of?
(a) Straight blonde hair.
(b) Long red hair.
(c) Straight black hair.
(d) Wild, curly black hair.
10. What is Raymond dressed as?
(a) A witch.
(b) A warrior.
(c) A waiter.
(d) A funhouse guide.
11. What is symbolic about the African-American man's hair?
(a) It represents nothing.
(b) It represents the the change in society.
(c) It represents Sarah's growth.
(d) It represents Sarah's shedding of African American identity.
12. How does the African-American man speak about his life?
(a) In song.
(c) With joy.
13. What does Queen Victoria discover in her scene?
(a) Her limbs are rotting.
(b) The Duchess is dead.
(c) Her hair is falling out.
(d) Her mother is dying.
14. What did the person the African-American man dreamed about do to the African-American man?
(a) Chased him.
(b) Hurt him.
(c) Kissed him.
(d) Hugged him.
15. What does "Negro" long to have?
(a) Black friends.
(c) White friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Landlady repeatedly do?
2. Where does "Negro" tell people she lives?
3. What does the Duchess ask Raymond to do?
4. What does the Duchess' reaction to her father cause her to do?
5. What does the Landlady believe Sarah thinks she is?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)