|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city does "Negro" tell the audience she lives in?
(c) New York.
2. Where does "Negro" tell people she lives?
(a) A small apartment.
(b) A large house.
(c) A farm.
(d) The streets.
3. Who is making the noise that the the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria hear throughout the scene?
(b) The Queens' father.
(c) The Duchess' father.
(d) The Landlady.
4. What does the Duchess ask Raymond to do?
(a) Kiss her.
(b) Hide her.
(c) Kill her.
(d) Marry her.
5. How does Adrienne Kennedy describe the Landlady's character?
6. What is the job of the Duchess' father symbolic of?
(a) The stereotype of African-Americans as entertainers.
(b) The joy in her family.
(c) African-Americans losing themselves to the "white man's" religion.
(d) The Harlem Renaissance.
7. What did the Duchess' father do to her mother?
(a) He divorced her.
(b) He killed her.
(c) He raped her.
(d) He married her.
8. What is the Duchess missing half of at the start of Part 2?
(a) Half of her fingers.
(b) Half of her makeup.
(c) Half of her money.
(d) Half of her hair.
9. Where does the Landlady say Sarah stays?
(a) In the library.
(b) In the bar.
(c) In her room.
(d) In the closet.
10. What is the African-American man's dream symbolic of?
(a) Sarah's fear of intimacy.
(b) The Landlady's fear of intimacy.
(c) Sarah's mother's fear of intimacy with an African-American male.
(d) Sarah's fear of rejection.
11. What is odd about the Duchess father's presence?
(a) He climbs through the window.
(b) He is not invited.
(c) He is dead.
(d) He has three fingers.
12. What does Queen Victoria discover in her scene?
(a) The Duchess is dead.
(b) Her limbs are rotting.
(c) Her mother is dying.
(d) Her hair is falling out.
13. Why do the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria feel bound to the Duchess' father?
(a) Because he lends them money.
(b) Because they are sisters.
(c) Because they share a home.
(d) Because he keeps returning.
14. How does the African-American man feel about himself?
(a) He despises himself.
(b) He loves himself.
(c) He thinks he is manly.
(d) He thinks he is handsome.
15. What is the white statue in "Negro's" room of?
(a) Queen Victoria.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "Negro" long to have?
2. Who is Raymond?
3. What is Raymond dressed as?
4. What is heard throughout the scene with the Duchess of Hapsburg and Queen Victoria?
5. What does the African American man claim he was born between?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)