|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to both the head covering traditionally worn by Muslim women and modest Muslim styles of dress in general?
2. How late was Kazem's letter of scholarship in the mail in Chapter 15?
3. How many daughters did Sedigeh have?
4. At what warehouse of food had Nematollah and Kazem filled up on free samples for lunch in Chapter 13?
5. Who would pay for the travel expenses for those who attended the celebration when President Carter hosted the Shah of Iran?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Iran realized they were being taken by BP Oil?
2. What competition did Firoozeh enter in school in Chapter 21? What was the prize?
3. How did Firoozeh feel about the Christmas season growing up?
4. Why was education of paramount importance to Kazem?
5. How did Firoozeh feel about her stay in Paris in Chapter 21?
6. Where did Kazem and Nazireh celebrate their birthdays each year?
7. What happened when Kazem took his family to the White House to see the Shah?
8. How did Firoozeh's parents feel about her fiance? How did his?
9. What did Firoozeh think was bad karma in San Francisco? What did she do with it?
10. What happened with the Nigerian company who hired Kazem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the settings of Abadan, Iran and Whittier, California. In what year did the Dumas family move? What global and national events were happening at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss the theme of foreign identity in the narrative. In what ways did Firoozeh feel like an outsider in America?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of Firoozeh's summer camp and the surrounding areas. How different was this region from Whittier or Newport Beach?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)