|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Firoozeh feel about school in America after her family moved from Iran?
2. When Firoozeh began studying Islam, she learned that what was a forbidden food?
3. The first prize in the competition Firoozeh entered in which the participants had to prepare a speech in French was spending 2 months at what school in France?
4. Kazem had worked for the National Iranian Oil Company from the time he was how old?
5. When did President Carter host a visit to the White House by the Shah of Iran?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Firoozeh think was bad karma in San Francisco? What did she do with it?
2. How did Firoozeh's parents feel about her fiance? How did his?
3. What did Kazem tell his daughter when she asked him to stop eating forbidden foods in Chapter 15?
4. How is Sedigeh related to Firoozeh?
5. What competition did Firoozeh enter in school in Chapter 21? What was the prize?
6. For how long did the Dumas family watch the Iran hostage crisis on television? How did it impact them?
7. Why was education of paramount importance to Kazem?
8. How did Firoozeh feel about her stay in Paris in Chapter 21?
9. Where did Kazem and Nazireh celebrate their birthdays each year?
10. What large-nosed individual did Firoozeh remember from school in Chapter 24? Where did she see her again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolic meaning of Disneyland in the narrative? What did it represent for Kazem?
Essay Topic 2
How religious was the Dumas family? What aspects of the Qur'an were overlooked in their household and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of education for Kazem and his family. What did education represent to the Dumas family?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)