|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Muslim laws, Francois' grandfather was buried how?
2. Where did Firoozeh end up at Disneyland in Chapter 4?
3. How many times previously had Firoozeh's family been to Disneyland when Kazem invited Iranian colleagues to meet his family there in Chapter 14?
4. People in Newport mistook Firoozeh and her family for what?
5. Where did Firoozeh have her honeymoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Firoozeh embarrassed on her way home from school with her mother in Chapter 1?
2. What were the other girls like at Firoozeh's camp? Who did Firoozeh like the most?
3. When did the Dumas family move to Newport Beach? What perceptions did people there have of them?
4. How did Firoozeh feel about being asked about her homeland growing up?
5. What examples does the narrator give for Americans misconstruing her and her family's names?
6. What pet had Francois' grandmother owned in the Congo? What happened to it?
7. Why did Uncle Nematollah stay with the family? What was he fascinated with in America?
8. What did Kazem buy Firoozeh before her trip to camp in Chapter 8? How is it described?
9. What did Firoozeh discover at the pick-up location before leaving for camp?
10. How did Nazireh learn English? Who translated for her in town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolic meaning of Disneyland in the narrative? What did it represent for Kazem?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Firoozeh's' mother Nazireh. How old was Nazireh when she married? How educated was she?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Newport Beach, California, and the ethnic, racial and cultural stereotypes presented in the reading. Why did people think the Dumas family was Mexican?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)