|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Kazem purchase for Firoozeh before she went to camp in Chapter 8?
2. Why had Francois' grandfather gone to Iraq?
3. Where in Iran did Firoozeh 's family move from to California?
4. Where did Firoozeh have her honeymoon?
5. How old was Nazireh when she married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What obstacles did Firoozeh face because of her fear of bathing in front of the other girls at camp?
2. Where did Kazem invite several Iranian colleagues in Chapter 4? What impression did he make?
3. When did the Dumas family move to Newport Beach? What perceptions did people there have of them?
4. How did Firoozeh feel about being asked about her homeland growing up?
5. Where did Francois want to honeymoon? What was Firoozeh's reaction?
6. What did Kazem buy Firoozeh before her trip to camp in Chapter 8? How is it described?
7. What were the Dumas family's trips to Las Vegas like? How did Firoozeh feel about them?
8. Who attempted to teach Firoozeh to swim after Kazem couldn't? What happened?
9. Who was asked to find a summer camp for Firoozeh in Chapter 8? What choice was made?
10. Where did Firoozeh become lost in Chapter 4? What did her father do once he found her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of Firoozeh's summer camp and the surrounding areas. How different was this region from Whittier or Newport Beach?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Firoozeh's cultural background and her experiences while at the camp. How did she feel upon leaving camp? What did she tell her father?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the element of Kazem's thriftiness in the narrative. How does Firoozeh use humor to depict her father as a penny-pincher?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)