|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the capital of Iran?
2. When was Disneyland opened?
3. What is the name of the camp Firoozeh went to in Chapter 8?
4. From what had Francois' grandfather died?
5. Who considered himself the family swim instructor but was unable to teach Firoozeh to swim?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tourist attractions did the Dumas family take in during their first few years in the U.S.? What did they think?
2. What differences were there between Newport Beach and Berkeley regarding Iranians in Chapter 7?
3. Who did Firoozeh meet with before beginning school in the United States? What was the meeting like?
4. What pet had Francois' grandmother owned in the Congo? What happened to it?
5. What did the Dumas family discover about Kazem's English in Chapter 2?
6. What did Kazem buy Firoozeh before her trip to camp in Chapter 8? How is it described?
7. What were the other girls like at Firoozeh's camp? Who did Firoozeh like the most?
8. What story of his grandfather did Francois relate to Firoozeh in Chapter 10?
9. Where did the narrator move when she was seven? How did her family feel about the move?
10. What did the Dumas family hold as a pinnacle in terms of tourist attractions? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of education for Kazem and his family. What did education represent to the Dumas family?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of Firoozeh's summer camp and the surrounding areas. How different was this region from Whittier or Newport Beach?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the element of Kazem's thriftiness in the narrative. How does Firoozeh use humor to depict her father as a penny-pincher?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)