|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refers to a program of competitive, merit-based grants for international educational exchange for students, scholars, teachers, professionals, scientists and artists, founded in 1946?
(a) International Aid.
(b) Rhodes Scholarship.
(c) Oxford Scholarship.
(d) Fulbright Scholarship.
2. How did Firoozeh feel about school in America after her family moved from Iran?
(a) She hated it.
(b) She dreaded it.
(c) She loved it.
(d) She was moved by it.
3. Who was the apartment manager who attended the Bastille celebration with Firoozeh in Paris?
4. The first prize in the competition Firoozeh entered in which the participants had to prepare a speech in French was spending 2 months at what school in France?
(a) Alliance Francaise.
(b) Université Louis Pasteur.
(c) Université Strasbourg.
(d) Baruch College.
5. Although the restaurant for Francois and Firoozeh's reception was paid for in advance, a large Indian man stood in front of the door and would not let anyone in unless Kazem paid how much?
6. Firoozeh entered a competition at school in which the participants had to prepare a speech in French in how much time?
(a) 1 week.
(b) 1 hour.
(c) 72 hours.
(d) 1 day.
7. Just before the final papers were signed for Kazem to take a job with a Saudi company in Chapter 19, Kazem was told the deal was off because company policy disallowed what?
(a) Hiring Iranians.
(b) Having a moustache.
(c) People without sufficient experience.
(d) Hiring men.
8. Francois and Firoozeh agreed to be married in both a traditional Persian ceremony and what?
(a) A Catholic mass.
(b) A Jewish wedding.
(c) A Las Vegas chapel.
(d) A county courthouse.
9. Kazem had worked himself up from intern to what at the National Iranian Oil Company?
(b) Night manager.
(c) Project Manager.
10. What is the name of the New Year in Iranian calendars and the corresponding traditional celebrations?
11. In addition to turkey and dressing, what did Firoozeh's family eat at Thanksgiving?
(a) Traditional Persian dishes.
12. In Chapter 19, Kazem agreed to take an executive position with a Saudi company that operated where?
(b) The U.S.
13. What company made a deal with the Shah that allowed them to drill for oil for a relatively small amount in return?
(b) Shell Oil.
(d) British Petroleum.
14. The restaurant where Francois and Firoozeh's reception was held was near what?
(a) The convention center.
(b) The train station.
(c) The marina.
(d) The airport.
15. Who was the founder of the religion of Islam?
(b) Joseph Smith.
Short Answer Questions
1. Firoozeh wrote numerous essays for scholarships about her life and experiences, including when she acted as her mother's interpreter and when she volunteered to be what at a children's hospital?
2. At what warehouse of food had Nematollah and Kazem filled up on free samples for lunch in Chapter 13?
3. What refers to an enveloping outer garment worn by women in some Islamic traditions to cover their bodies in public places?
4. Where did Firoozeh take a boring and joyless part-time job to save money for college in Chapter 20?
5. At what age did Firoozeh contact a plastic surgeon about her nose?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)