|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the author describe dreaming about being with her father two nights before he died in Chapter 5?
2. What does the author describe putting deadlines for on her wall calendar at the end of Chapter 5?
3. Where did Bruce Bechdel attend college?
4. What was the name of Mark Douglas Walsh's brother?
5. What did the Drs. Gryglewicz give to the author's mother on her opening night of the play in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bechdel describe the political atmosphere when she was 13 in Chapter 6?
2. How does the author describe the changes in her diary in Chapter 6?
3. What is described in the police report that the author illustrates in Chapter 6?
4. Describe the dream in the beginning of Chapter 5. What symbolism can be seen in the dream?
5. How does the author describe her first foray into poetry in Chapter 5?
6. What does the author describe her mother discovering on an audio tape in Chapter 5?
7. With whom did Alison Bechdel and her brothers go to stay for several days in Chapter 6? Why?
8. What symbolism can be seen in the fallen trees in Chapter 6?
9. Why does the author go into depth regarding the geography of her hometown in Chapter 5?
10. How did the author overcome her obsessive-compulsive tendencies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the characterization of the author's mother, Helen Bechdel in the memoir. How would you describe the relationship between Alison and Helen Bechdel? What did Helen Bechdel study and how does the author describe her mother's talents?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the events surrounding Bruce Bechdel's trial in the narrative. What was Bruce Bechdel charged with? By whom was he charged? What was the outcome of the trial? How did the trial affect the author and her family?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the style of the illustrations in Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic. What colors predominate the images? Why do you think these colors were chosen? How do the pictures in the book help the reader relate to the story?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)