|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the calendar from that Bruce Bechdel gave to his daughter to use as a diary?
2. What was Helen Bechdel's maiden name?
3. The title of Chapter 6, "The Ideal Husband" is an allusion to the play "An Ideal Husband" written by whom?
4. What food item from her mother's play does the author describe her family eating all summer in Chapter 6?
5. The author writes in Chapter 6, "It's said that homes with pubescent children in them are more prone to" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the title of Chapter 5, "The Canary-Colored Caravan of Death" allude to?
2. What is the significance of the locusts that the author describes in Chapter 6?
3. How does Bechdel describe the political atmosphere when she was 13 in Chapter 6?
4. What is described in the police report that the author illustrates in Chapter 6?
5. Describe the dream in the beginning of Chapter 5. What symbolism can be seen in the dream?
6. With whom did Alison Bechdel and her brothers go to stay for several days in Chapter 6? Why?
7. What impacts of her parents' "creative solitude" does the author describe in Chapter 5?
8. How did the author overcome her obsessive-compulsive tendencies?
9. What play does the author describe her mother in rehearsals for in Chapter 6? Why is this significant?
10. How does the author describe the changes in her diary in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What major facts does the author establish in the beginning of the narrative? How does she establish the setting and relationships within her family? How are these important plot points revealed to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the events surrounding Bruce Bechdel's trial in the narrative. What was Bruce Bechdel charged with? By whom was he charged? What was the outcome of the trial? How did the trial affect the author and her family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's allusions to F. Scott Fitzgerald in Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic. What correlations does Bechdel make between Fitzgerald and her father? What characters from Fitzgerald does the author associate with Bruce Bechdel? Why?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)