|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what street did the author grow up?
2. Who wrote Alison Bechdel's mother's favorite poem?
3. Where did Bruce Bechdel go to see a psychiatrist in Chapter 6?
4. In Bruce Bechdel's trial, the judge agreed to dismiss the charges against him if he did what?
5. On what date did Oscar Wilde face trial for sodomy and gross indecency?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed of Bruce Bechdel's obituary in Chapter 5?
2. What is described in the police report that the author illustrates in Chapter 6?
3. How did the author overcome her obsessive-compulsive tendencies?
4. Why did Bruce Bechdel tell his daughter he was going to Danville in Chapter 6?
5. How does Bechdel describe the political atmosphere when she was 13 in Chapter 6?
6. When did Alison Bechdel's obsessive-compulsive tendencies begin to appear? What did they entail?
7. What impacts of her parents' "creative solitude" does the author describe in Chapter 5?
8. What does the author describe her mother discovering on an audio tape in Chapter 5?
9. How did the author respond when she began menstruating in Chapter 6?
10. With whom did Alison Bechdel and her brothers go to stay for several days in Chapter 6? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of homosexuality in Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic. How does the author develop this theme through setting, characterization, action, symbolism, and imagery? How does the author describe coming to terms with her homosexuality? How does she relate to her father's homosexuality?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the genre and format of Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic. Is the book fiction or nonfiction? Under what sub-genres is the book categorized? What is noteworthy about the book's genre and format?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the events surrounding Bruce Bechdel's trial in the narrative. What was Bruce Bechdel charged with? By whom was he charged? What was the outcome of the trial? How did the trial affect the author and her family?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)