|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the home where Alison Bechdel grew up?
2. The author directly correlates the embellishments of her childhood home to what in Chapter 1?
3. What gift does the author describe having bought for herself after receiving a letter from her mother after coming out in Chapter 3?
4. Of her father, the author writes in Chapter 1, "... my brothers and I were free labor. Dad considered us extensions of his own body, like" what?
5. What gift did the author's mother give to Joan immediately after Bruce's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What symbolism is related to the Swiss Army knife that appears in Chapter 3?
2. What does the title of Chapter 2, "A Happy Death" allude to?
3. What literary allusions does the author make in describing her mother in Chapter 3?
4. What symbolism does the author illuminate in her father's library in Chapter 3?
5. What symbolism does the author relate to the obelisk in Chapter 2?
6. What literary allusion is tied to lilacs in Chapter 4?
7. How does the author describe Joan in Chapter 3?
8. What allusions are made to the works of F. Scott Fitgerald in Chapter 3?
9. How does the author compare herself with her father in Chapter 1?
10. What facts are established through the author's exposition in Chapters 1 and 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of family in Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic. How would you describe the author's relationships within her family? Was/is the Bechdel family affectionate? How did Alison Bechdel's family influence her?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the style of the illustrations in Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic. What colors predominate the images? Why do you think these colors were chosen? How do the pictures in the book help the reader relate to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What major facts does the author establish in the beginning of the narrative? How does she establish the setting and relationships within her family? How are these important plot points revealed to the reader?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)