|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Bruce Bechdel marry his wife?
2. What is the name of Alison Bechdel's mother?
3. Who is the "cultured, dissipated, and penniless European art collector" that the heroine marries in The Portrait of a Lady?
4. What does the word "qualmish" mean in Chapter 3?
5. In what year did Bruce Bechdel die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe her impressions of her father's death in Chapter 2?
2. What symbolism is related to the Swiss Army knife that appears in Chapter 3?
3. What symbolism does the author relate to the obelisk in Chapter 2?
4. How does the author describe her family's trip to Europe in Chapter 3?
5. How does the author describe her father's love of gardening in Chapter 4?
6. From what narrative perspective is Fun Home related? Why do you think the author chose this perspective?
7. What symbolism does the author illuminate in her father's library in Chapter 3?
8. What facts are established through the author's exposition in Chapters 1 and 2?
9. What mythological allusions does the author make in Chapter 1?
10. How does the author describe her father's profession and obsessions in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of homosexuality in Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic. How does the author develop this theme through setting, characterization, action, symbolism, and imagery? How does the author describe coming to terms with her homosexuality? How does she relate to her father's homosexuality?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the dream imagery that Bechdel presents in Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic. How would you describe the images of these dream sequences? What similes, metaphors, and other literary devices are employed in the dream imagery?
Essay Topic 3
What major facts does the author establish in the beginning of the narrative? How does she establish the setting and relationships within her family? How are these important plot points revealed to the reader?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)