|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author says in Chapter 3, "Dad was passionate about many writers, but he had a particular reverence for" whom?
2. What kind of truck was involved in Bruce Bechdel's death?
3. Who is the "cultured, dissipated, and penniless European art collector" that the heroine marries in The Portrait of a Lady?
4. What does the word "qualmish" mean in Chapter 3?
5. What does the author claim was her father's passion but not his job in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe her "coming out" to her parents in Chapter 3?
2. What facts are established through the author's exposition in Chapters 1 and 2?
3. How would you describe the graphics style of Fun Home?
4. From what narrative perspective is Fun Home related? Why do you think the author chose this perspective?
5. How does the author describe her father's love of gardening in Chapter 4?
6. What literary allusion is tied to lilacs in Chapter 4?
7. What mythological allusions does the author make in Chapter 1?
8. How does the author describe her impressions of her father's death in Chapter 2?
9. What symbolism is related to the Swiss Army knife that appears in Chapter 3?
10. What does the title of Chapter 4, "In the Shadow of the Young Girls in Flower" allude to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the nonlinear structure of Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic. In what ways is the narrative nonlinear? Why do you think the author chose to relate her story in this format? How does the author build tension in a nonlinear narrative style?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the secrets of Bruce Bechdel that are revealed in the course of the narrative. How did these secrets impact the Bechdel family? How did they impact his marriage? How does the author feel about the secrets she discovered about her father?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss some of the elements of irony in Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic. What are examples of dramatic, situational, and verbal irony in the narrative? Why does the author employ irony? What are the effects of each example on the reader?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)