|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Bruce Bechdel go to see a psychiatrist in Chapter 6?
(c) New Brunswick.
(d) New Hope.
2. The title of Chapter 6, "The Ideal Husband" is an allusion to the play "An Ideal Husband" written by whom?
(a) Radclyffe Hall.
(b) Oscar Wilde.
(c) Edward Albee.
(d) James Joyce.
3. What was the Alison Bechdel's mother's favorite poem?
(a) "Annabel Lee."
(b) "Death is the Mother of Beauty."
(c) "Two Roads Diverged."
(d) "Sunday Morning."
4. What term from Chapter 5 refers to a disorder characterized by rapid, uncoordinated jerking movements primarily affecting the face, hands and feet?
(a) Saint Vitus Dance.
(b) Cerebral palsy.
5. What phrase began creeping into the author's journal entries in April, according to Bechdel in Chapter 5?
(a) "On a day."
(c) "I think."
(d) "Too soon."
Short Answer Questions
1. What magazine did the author's mother give her for her 14th birthday?
2. What role does the author describe her mother playing in The Importance of Being Earnest in Chapter 6?
3. What month was it when the author finally told her mother that she'd started her period?
4. In what year does the author describe the energy crisis and the year-round daylight savings it entailed in Chapter 5?
5. What color did the author's father fill in the gypsy caravan with in the coloring book in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe her first foray into poetry in Chapter 5?
2. How did the author feel about rehearsing lines with her mother in Chapter 6?
3. How did the author respond when she began menstruating in Chapter 6?
4. How does the author describe the changes in her diary in Chapter 6?
5. What did the author learn about obsessive-compulsive disorder from reading Dr. Spock?
6. What is revealed of Bruce Bechdel's obituary in Chapter 5?
7. With whom did Alison Bechdel and her brothers go to stay for several days in Chapter 6? Why?
8. When did Alison Bechdel's obsessive-compulsive tendencies begin to appear? What did they entail?
9. Why does the author say that her family witnessed lots of sunrises in 1974?
10. What does Bechdel write regarding the trial of Oscar Wilde in Chapter 6?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)