|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what street did the author grow up?
(a) Maple Avenue.
(b) Riverview Avenue.
(c) Anderson Street.
(d) Willow Street.
2. As an aspect of her obsessive-compulsive disorder, what did the author avoid at all costs?
(a) Newspaper articles about the war.
(b) Books and letters that began with "M."
(c) Odd numbers and multiples of 13.
(d) Cracks in the sidewalk.
3. What food item from her mother's play does the author describe her family eating all summer in Chapter 6?
(a) Cucumber sandwiches.
(b) Potato salad.
(c) Roast beef sandwiches.
(d) Gingersnap cookies.
4. What month was it when the author finally told her mother that she'd started her period?
5. What was the author's favorite page in the Wind in the Willows coloring book?
(a) The house.
(b) The map.
(c) The pond.
(d) The river.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Bruce Bechdel attend college?
2. In what year does the author describe the energy crisis and the year-round daylight savings it entailed in Chapter 5?
3. On what day does the author describe her father's hearing in Chapter 6?
4. Who wrote Alison Bechdel's mother's favorite poem?
5. By the end of what month does the author say her "earnest diary entries had given way to the implicit lie of the blank page" in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe her first foray into poetry in Chapter 5?
2. How did the author overcome her obsessive-compulsive tendencies?
3. What does the title of Chapter 5, "The Canary-Colored Caravan of Death" allude to?
4. How does Bechdel describe her mother's talents in Chapter 5?
5. How did the author feel about rehearsing lines with her mother in Chapter 6?
6. What does the author describe her mother discovering on an audio tape in Chapter 5?
7. What is described in the police report that the author illustrates in Chapter 6?
8. How does the author describe the changes in her diary in Chapter 6?
9. When did Alison Bechdel's obsessive-compulsive tendencies begin to appear? What did they entail?
10. What play does the author describe her mother in rehearsals for in Chapter 6? Why is this significant?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)