|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many gestures of affection does the author describe witnessing between her parents in Chapter 3?
2. How does the author describe Joan after their meeting in Chapter 3?
(a) "Joan was an academic and an intellectual."
(b) "Joan was a poet and a 'matriarchist.'"
(c) "Joan was a musician and a short-story writer."
(d) "Joan was a mechanic and a laborer."
3. In one of the illustrated panels in Chapter 1, the author says, "When I grow up, my house is going to be all metal, like" what?
(a) "A prison."
(b) "A spaceship."
(c) "A submarine."
(d) "A silo."
4. What did Bruce Bechdel teach?
5. How far away was the author in college when her father died?
(a) 5 hours away.
(b) 2 hours away.
(c) 4 hours away.
(d) 10 hours away.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Alison Bechdel inform her parents that she was gay?
2. The author says of her father in Chapter 1, "He used his skillful artifice not to make things, but to make things appear to be" what?
3. What aromas does the author describe her father having smelled of in Chapter 1?
4. What does the word "qualmish" mean in Chapter 3?
5. Who is the heroine in Henry James's The Portrait of a Lady?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe her father's love of gardening in Chapter 4?
2. What mythological allusions does the author make in Chapter 1?
3. How does the author compare herself with her father in Chapter 1?
4. What symbolism does the author relate to the obelisk in Chapter 2?
5. What facts are established through the author's exposition in Chapters 1 and 2?
6. What symbolism is related to the Swiss Army knife that appears in Chapter 3?
7. What does the title of Chapter 3, "That Old Catastrophe" allude to? Why is this significant?
8. What symbolism does the author illuminate in her father's library in Chapter 3?
9. How does the author describe her father's profession and obsessions in Chapter 1?
10. From what narrative perspective is Fun Home related? Why do you think the author chose this perspective?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)