|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Alison Bechdel when she realized she was a lesbian?
2. On what date did the author receive a message to contact her mother immediately because her father had been killed?
3. Who is the "smooth-talking fortune hunter" in The Heiress that the author describes in Chapter 3?
(a) Edgar Spency.
(b) William James.
(c) Morris Townsend.
(d) James Waldrop.
4. What novel is the play The Heiress based on?
(a) Washington Square.
(b) The Great Gatsby.
(c) The Sun Also Rises.
(d) To Have and Have Not.
5. The author says in Chapter 1 that being raised by her father was not like being raised by Jimmy Stewart but by whom?
(a) Bette Davis.
(b) Donna Reed.
(c) Martha Stewart.
(d) Amanda Stewart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from Chapter 1 refers to skillful use of one's hands when performing conjuring tricks?
2. How long prior to his death did Bruce Bechdel's wife ask him for a divorce?
3. The author says of her father in Chapter 1, "He used his skillful artifice not to make things, but to make things appear to be" what?
4. What gift does the author describe having bought for herself after receiving a letter from her mother after coming out in Chapter 3?
5. Where did Bruce Bechdel marry his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mythological allusions does the author make in Chapter 1?
2. How affectionate does the author describe her family when growing up?
3. From what narrative perspective is Fun Home related? Why do you think the author chose this perspective?
4. What symbolism does the author illuminate in her father's library in Chapter 3?
5. How does the author describe her father's love of gardening in Chapter 4?
6. What literary allusions does the author make in describing her mother in Chapter 3?
7. How would you describe the language style of Fun Home?
8. What does the title of Chapter 3, "That Old Catastrophe" allude to? Why is this significant?
9. What symbolism does the author relate to the obelisk in Chapter 2?
10. What does the title of Chapter 2, "A Happy Death" allude to?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)