|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does the author describe having bought for herself after receiving a letter from her mother after coming out in Chapter 3?
(a) A men's suit.
(b) A pair of earrings.
(c) A book.
(d) A Swiss army knife.
2. What does the author describe her father rinsing her with in the bathtub as a child in Chapter 1?
(a) A purple metal cup.
(b) A white plastic cup.
(c) A blue bucket.
(d) A red bucket.
3. The author says in Chapter 3, "Dad was passionate about many writers, but he had a particular reverence for" whom?
(a) Emily Dickinson.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Edgar Allan Poe.
4. What is the name of Alison Bechdel's mother?
5. What skillful craftsman and artist from Greek mythology does the author compare her father to in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what religion did the author's mother ascribe?
2. Over how many years does the author say her father restored their home?
3. What film does the author describe her parents taking the family to see when it opened in 1974?
4. Alison Bechdel's Fun Home is a graphic memoir that is filled with literary allusions. What book by James Joyce is alluded to with the title of Chapter 1: "Old Father, Old Artificer"?
5. What word from Chapter 1 refers to skillful use of one's hands when performing conjuring tricks?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe the language style of Fun Home?
2. What allusions are made to the works of F. Scott Fitgerald in Chapter 3?
3. How does the author describe her "coming out" to her parents in Chapter 3?
4. What literary allusions does the author make in describing her mother in Chapter 3?
5. What symbolism does the author relate to the obelisk in Chapter 2?
6. How does the author describe her family's trip to Europe in Chapter 3?
7. From what narrative perspective is Fun Home related? Why do you think the author chose this perspective?
8. How does the author describe her impressions of her father's death in Chapter 2?
9. How and why does the author allude to It's a Wonderful Life in Chapter 1?
10. How does the author describe her father's profession and obsessions in Chapter 1?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)