|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the author complain about the wallpaper her father chose for her room in Chapter 1?
(a) It was blue with stripes.
(b) It was solid red.
(c) It was green and white dots.
(d) It was pink with flowers.
2. How long prior to his death did Bruce Bechdel's wife ask him for a divorce?
(a) 2 weeks prior.
(b) 2 days prior.
(c) 2 months prior.
(d) 1 week prior.
3. When did Alison Bechdel's parents purchase their home?
4. The author describes her childhood home as being built in a brief moment of wealth from the lumber industry in what year?
5. How does the author describe Joan after their meeting in Chapter 3?
(a) "Joan was an academic and an intellectual."
(b) "Joan was a musician and a short-story writer."
(c) "Joan was a poet and a 'matriarchist.'"
(d) "Joan was a mechanic and a laborer."
Short Answer Questions
1. How many gestures of affection does the author describe witnessing between her parents in Chapter 3?
2. Where did the author convince her parents to buy her hiking boots during their trip to Europe in her childhood?
3. What classic movie with Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed does the author allude to in Chapter 1?
4. Who is the "smooth-talking fortune hunter" in The Heiress that the author describes in Chapter 3?
5. Where did the author's mother study acting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe the language style of Fun Home?
2. What mythological allusions does the author make in Chapter 1?
3. What does the title of Chapter 3, "That Old Catastrophe" allude to? Why is this significant?
4. What does the title of Chapter 4, "In the Shadow of the Young Girls in Flower" allude to?
5. What symbolism does the author relate to the obelisk in Chapter 2?
6. What literary allusions does the author make in describing her mother in Chapter 3?
7. How does the author describe her father's profession and obsessions in Chapter 1?
8. What facts are established through the author's exposition in Chapters 1 and 2?
9. What allusions are made to the works of F. Scott Fitgerald in Chapter 3?
10. How does the author describe her father's love of gardening in Chapter 4?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)