|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from Chapter 5 means resembling sunlight?
2. What month was it when the author finally told her mother that she'd started her period?
3. The title of Chapter 6, "The Ideal Husband" is an allusion to the play "An Ideal Husband" written by whom?
(a) Edward Albee.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Oscar Wilde.
(d) Radclyffe Hall.
4. Over what mountains does the author describe her sunrise rising as a child in Chapter 5?
(a) Over the White Mountains.
(b) Over the Cascade Mountains.
(c) Over the Scott Mountains.
(d) Over the Bald Eagle Mountains.
5. Whose father delivered a note accusing Oscar Wilde of being a sodomite, which later led to a libel suit?
(a) Morris Townsend's father.
(b) Alfred Douglas's father.
(c) James Forster's father.
(d) Wallace Stevens's father.
6. What magazine did the author's mother give her for her 14th birthday?
(c) Reader's Digest.
(d) Gentlemen's Quarterly.
7. What phrase began creeping into the author's journal entries in April, according to Bechdel in Chapter 5?
(b) "On a day."
(c) "Too soon."
(d) "I think."
8. What interstate does the author describe having been blasted through the ridge beyond hers in Chapter 5?
(a) Interstate 80.
(b) Interstate 150.
(c) Interstate 101.
(d) Interstate 67.
9. What was the name of Mark Douglas Walsh's brother?
10. What was the Alison Bechdel's mother's favorite poem?
(a) "Death is the Mother of Beauty."
(b) "Annabel Lee."
(c) "Sunday Morning."
(d) "Two Roads Diverged."
11. What was Beth's stepmother's name?
12. What was the name of Bruce Bechdel's father?
13. What is the date on the police report that describes Bruce Bechdel's seduction of Mark Walsh in Chapter 6?
(a) September 3, 1972.
(b) June 20, 1974.
(c) March 3, 1971.
(d) June 29, 1967.
14. Who is the author of Little Women?
(a) Elsa Gidlow.
(b) E. M. Forster.
(c) Anaïs Nin.
(d) Louisa May Alcott.
15. Whom did the author's mother get angry about Bruce wanting to invite to their home in Chapter 6?
(a) His brother.
(b) His therapist.
(c) His student.
(d) His cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far away from her childhood home was the "pre-clean air act paper mill" that the author describes in Chapter 5?
2. What did the Drs. Gryglewicz give to the author's mother on her opening night of the play in Chapter 6?
3. What play does the author describe her parents going to see at the Playhouse in Chapter 6?
4. How old was the author when she claims her "father's secret almost surfaced" in Chapter 6?
5. By the end of what month does the author say her "earnest diary entries had given way to the implicit lie of the blank page" in Chapter 6?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)