|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did F. Scott Fitzgerald die?
(a) He swallowed a bottle lid.
(b) He was in a car accident.
(c) He had a heart attack.
(d) He drowned.
2. What is the name of the author's youngest brother?
3. How far away was the author in college when her father died?
(a) 5 hours away.
(b) 4 hours away.
(c) 10 hours away.
(d) 2 hours away.
4. What was the name of Bruce Bechdel's brother?
5. The author directly correlates the embellishments of her childhood home to what in Chapter 1?
(b) Doll houses.
6. How does the author describe Joan after their meeting in Chapter 3?
(a) "Joan was a musician and a short-story writer."
(b) "Joan was a poet and a 'matriarchist.'"
(c) "Joan was an academic and an intellectual."
(d) "Joan was a mechanic and a laborer."
7. How many gestures of affection does the author describe witnessing between her parents in Chapter 3?
8. The author describes her childhood home as being built in a brief moment of wealth from the lumber industry in what year?
9. Over how many years does the author say her father restored their home?
10. Who is the heroine in Henry James's The Portrait of a Lady?
(a) Edna Waldrop.
(b) Marie Antoinette.
(c) Isabel Archer.
(d) Emily Wharton.
11. Alison Bechdel's Fun Home is a graphic memoir that is filled with literary allusions. What book by James Joyce is alluded to with the title of Chapter 1: "Old Father, Old Artificer"?
(b) A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
(d) Finnegan's Wake.
12. How did the author's father die?
(a) He hung himself.
(b) He was shot on a hunting trip.
(c) He drowned in a river.
(d) He was hit by a truck.
13. On what date did the author receive a message to contact her mother immediately because her father had been killed?
14. Where did the author's mother study acting?
(a) New Brunswick.
(c) New York City.
15. Who is the author of The Well of Loneliness?
(a) James Joyce.
(b) Elsa Gidlow.
(c) Radclyffe Hall.
(d) Morris Townsend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aromas does the author describe her father having smelled of in Chapter 1?
2. How long prior to his death did Bruce Bechdel's wife ask him for a divorce?
3. Where is the home where Alison Bechdel grew up?
4. Consider the following sentence from Chapter 1: "His shame inhabited our house as pervasively and invisibly as the aromatic must of aging mahogany." What literary device is used in this sentence?
5. How old was Alison Bechdel when she realized she was a lesbian?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)