|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the author's brother who is a year younger than her?
2. Who is the "smooth-talking fortune hunter" in The Heiress that the author describes in Chapter 3?
(a) William James.
(b) James Waldrop.
(c) Edgar Spency.
(d) Morris Townsend.
3. How old was F. Scott Fitzgerald when he died?
4. Who is the male leading role in the play where the author's parents met?
(a) Mr. Darcy.
5. What childhood fictional character does Joan describe as "a total imperialist" in the panel from page 80?
(b) Mickey Mouse.
(c) Christopher Robin.
(d) Jiminy Cricket.
6. Who is the "cultured, dissipated, and penniless European art collector" that the heroine marries in The Portrait of a Lady?
(a) James Fletcher.
(b) Gilbet Osmond.
(c) Morris Townsend.
(d) William Anderson.
7. How did F. Scott Fitzgerald die?
(a) He had a heart attack.
(b) He drowned.
(c) He swallowed a bottle lid.
(d) He was in a car accident.
8. To what religion did the author's mother ascribe?
(b) Christian Scientist.
9. What author had Bruce Bechdel become immersed in the year before he died?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Marcel Proust.
(d) James Joyce.
10. Who is the heroine in Henry James's The Portrait of a Lady?
(a) Emily Wharton.
(b) Edna Waldrop.
(c) Isabel Archer.
(d) Marie Antoinette.
11. What gift did the author's mother give to Joan immediately after Bruce's funeral?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A bracelet.
(c) A ring.
(d) A book.
12. From what children's book does the author's father's read to her in the bedtime panel in Chapter 1?
(a) Just So Stories.
(b) Alice in Wonderland.
(c) James and the Giant Peach.
(d) April Rabbits.
13. The author describes her childhood home as being built in a brief moment of wealth from the lumber industry in what year?
14. How long before her father's death did Bechdel come out to her parents as gay?
(a) 1 week earlier.
(b) 2 months earlier.
(c) 4 months earlier.
(d) 2 weeks earlier.
15. What aromas does the author describe her father having smelled of in Chapter 1?
(a) Sawdust and sweat and designer cologne.
(b) Laundry soap, wool, and attic dust.
(c) Fish, eggs, and laundry.
(d) Car grease and toothpaste and soap.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the 77-year-old poet who is referenced as a lesbian in the panel on page 74?
2. The author says in Chapter 3, "Dad was passionate about many writers, but he had a particular reverence for" whom?
3. What kind of truck was involved in Bruce Bechdel's death?
4. What is the date printed on the passport photo from the author's trip to Europe with her family in Chapter 3?
5. In what role was the author's mother performing in the play when she met her husband?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)