|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of her father, the author writes in Chapter 1, "... my brothers and I were free labor. Dad considered us extensions of his own body, like" what?
(a) "Gilded wings."
(b) "Precision robot arms."
(c) "Hairy fingertips."
(d) "Enslaved legs and arms."
2. What kind of truck was involved in Bruce Bechdel's death?
(a) A Borden Milk truck.
(b) A Getty Gas truck.
(c) A Sunbeam Bread truck.
(d) A Duncan Hines truck.
3. How far away was the author in college when her father died?
(a) 5 hours away.
(b) 10 hours away.
(c) 2 hours away.
(d) 4 hours away.
4. Over how many years does the author say her father restored their home?
5. Where did the author convince her parents to buy her hiking boots during their trip to Europe in her childhood?
6. What aromas does the author describe her father having smelled of in Chapter 1?
(a) Laundry soap, wool, and attic dust.
(b) Fish, eggs, and laundry.
(c) Car grease and toothpaste and soap.
(d) Sawdust and sweat and designer cologne.
7. The author writes in Chapter 1 that "In the circus, acrobatics where one person lies on the floor balancing another are called" what?
(a) "Daedalus Games."
(b) "Icarian Games."
(c) "Epicurian Games."
(d) "Homeric Games."
8. When did Alison Bechdel's parents purchase their home?
9. How did F. Scott Fitzgerald die?
(a) He drowned.
(b) He had a heart attack.
(c) He swallowed a bottle lid.
(d) He was in a car accident.
10. Who is the 77-year-old poet who is referenced as a lesbian in the panel on page 74?
(a) Marie Antony.
(b) Jennifer Roberts.
(c) Christine Roth.
(d) Elsa Gidlow.
11. What gift does the author describe having bought for herself after receiving a letter from her mother after coming out in Chapter 3?
(a) A pair of earrings.
(b) A men's suit.
(c) A book.
(d) A Swiss army knife.
12. The title of Chapter 2: "A Happy Death," alludes to a novel written by what author?
(a) Albert Camus.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) James Joyce.
13. What film does the author describe her parents taking the family to see when it opened in 1974?
(b) The Great Gatsby.
(c) To Have and Have Not.
(d) The Maltese Falcon.
14. What does the author claim was her father's passion but not his job in Chapter 1?
(a) Historical restoration.
(b) Drinking Scotch.
(d) Clothing design.
15. What does the author describe her father rinsing her with in the bathtub as a child in Chapter 1?
(a) A red bucket.
(b) A white plastic cup.
(c) A purple metal cup.
(d) A blue bucket.
Short Answer Questions
1. What author had Bruce Bechdel become immersed in the year before he died?
2. The author says in Chapter 1 that being raised by her father was not like being raised by Jimmy Stewart but by whom?
3. To what religion did the author's mother ascribe?
4. What did Bruce Bechdel teach?
5. Of what material was Bruce Bechtel's tombstone made?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)