|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the babysitter that Alison Bechdel's mother described her father having an affair with during their phone call in Chapter 3?
2. Who is the 77-year-old poet who is referenced as a lesbian in the panel on page 74?
(a) Marie Antony.
(b) Jennifer Roberts.
(c) Christine Roth.
(d) Elsa Gidlow.
3. What was the name of Bruce Bechdel's brother?
4. What is the date printed on the passport photo from the author's trip to Europe with her family in Chapter 3?
(a) June 29, 1967.
(b) June 3, 1969.
(c) March 13, 1963.
(d) September 1, 1971.
5. From what children's book does the author's father's read to her in the bedtime panel in Chapter 1?
(a) James and the Giant Peach.
(b) Alice in Wonderland.
(c) Just So Stories.
(d) April Rabbits.
6. How does the author describe her father's headstone in Chapter 2?
(a) It is a star.
(b) It is a Catholic cross.
(c) It is an obelisk.
(d) It is a Celtic cross.
7. What does the word "qualmish" mean in Chapter 3?
8. Where was Bruce Bechdel when he died?
(a) Route 150.
(b) Route 80.
(c) The funeral home.
(d) His mother's house.
9. What aromas does the author describe her father having smelled of in Chapter 1?
(a) Sawdust and sweat and designer cologne.
(b) Laundry soap, wool, and attic dust.
(c) Fish, eggs, and laundry.
(d) Car grease and toothpaste and soap.
10. What play were Bruce Bechdel and his wife performing in when they met?
(a) All's Well that Ends Well.
(b) Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.
(c) The Tragedy of Macbeth.
(d) The Taming of the Shrew.
11. Who is the "smooth-talking fortune hunter" in The Heiress that the author describes in Chapter 3?
(a) William James.
(b) James Waldrop.
(c) Morris Townsend.
(d) Edgar Spency.
12. Who is the author of the novel Maurice that is alluded to in Chapter 3?
(a) Radclyffe Hall.
(b) E. M. Forster.
(c) Emily Dickinson.
(d) James Joyce.
13. How did F. Scott Fitzgerald die?
(a) He had a heart attack.
(b) He was in a car accident.
(c) He drowned.
(d) He swallowed a bottle lid.
14. How old was Alison Bechdel when she realized she was a lesbian?
15. What is the name of Alison Bechdel's mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Alison Bechdel inform her parents that she was gay?
2. When was Bruce Bechdel born?
3. How old was the author when her father died?
4. The author directly correlates the embellishments of her childhood home to what in Chapter 1?
5. In what year did Bruce Bechdel die?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)