|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 3-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author describe her father's headstone in Chapter 2?
(a) It is a Catholic cross.
(b) It is an obelisk.
(c) It is a star.
(d) It is a Celtic cross.
2. From what children's book does the author's father's read to her in the bedtime panel in Chapter 1?
(a) Alice in Wonderland.
(b) Just So Stories.
(c) James and the Giant Peach.
(d) April Rabbits.
3. How does the author describe Joan after their meeting in Chapter 3?
(a) "Joan was a mechanic and a laborer."
(b) "Joan was a musician and a short-story writer."
(c) "Joan was an academic and an intellectual."
(d) "Joan was a poet and a 'matriarchist.'"
4. Alison Bechdel's Fun Home is a graphic memoir that is filled with literary allusions. What book by James Joyce is alluded to with the title of Chapter 1: "Old Father, Old Artificer"?
(c) Finnegan's Wake.
(d) A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
5. Who is the "smooth-talking fortune hunter" in The Heiress that the author describes in Chapter 3?
(a) Edgar Spency.
(b) Morris Townsend.
(c) James Waldrop.
(d) William James.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did F. Scott Fitzgerald die?
2. Of her father, the author writes in Chapter 1, "... my brothers and I were free labor. Dad considered us extensions of his own body, like" what?
3. In what role was the author's mother performing in the play when she met her husband?
4. The author says of her father in Chapter 1, "He used his skillful artifice not to make things, but to make things appear to be" what?
5. How many gestures of affection does the author describe witnessing between her parents in Chapter 3?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)