|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1-2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Bruce Bechdel teach?
2. The author says of her father in Chapter 1, "He used his skillful artifice not to make things, but to make things appear to be" what?
(a) "What they were not."
3. What aromas does the author describe her father having smelled of in Chapter 1?
(a) Sawdust and sweat and designer cologne.
(b) Fish, eggs, and laundry.
(c) Laundry soap, wool, and attic dust.
(d) Car grease and toothpaste and soap.
4. Consider the following sentence from Chapter 1: "His shame inhabited our house as pervasively and invisibly as the aromatic must of aging mahogany." What literary device is used in this sentence?
(b) Literary allusion.
5. In what year did Bruce Bechdel die?
Short Answer Questions
1. Of her father, the author writes in Chapter 1, "... my brothers and I were free labor. Dad considered us extensions of his own body, like" what?
2. How far away was the author in college when her father died?
3. The author writes in Chapter 1 that "In the circus, acrobatics where one person lies on the floor balancing another are called" what?
4. What word from Chapter 1 refers to skillful use of one's hands when performing conjuring tricks?
5. Why did the author complain about the wallpaper her father chose for her room in Chapter 1?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)