• Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic is an award-winning graphic memoir by Alison Bechdel.
• Chapter 1 is titled “Old Father, Old Artificer.” In this chapter, Alison Bechdel compares her relationship with her father to Icarus.
• Bechdel reveals she grew up in a big old house in Pennsylvania built with money from the 1867 lumber boom.
• Although Bechdel's father was an English teacher, his passion was restoration.
• Bechdel explains that her father was not a very personable man, was quick to punish, and did not always enjoy having a family.
• Bechdel explains she grew distant from her father and grew to hate elaborate décor, and that her father seemed “morally suspect” to her long before she knew he had a dark secret.
• Bechdel explains her father was full of self-loathing, and that this was taken out on her and her family.
• Bechdel explains that she finds it difficult to...
This section contains 1,274 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)