|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does legend say the Manitoulins did?
2. What does Michaela do when Jakob tells her about Bella?
3. What opinion does Jakob offer on the issue about which Naomi and Ben are fighting?
4. What can lightning to to clothing?
5. How does Jakob feel when he returns to Greece?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who visits Ben before he is five and what is the result?
2. What does Ben say about lightning?
3. How does Ben's relationship with Petra evolve?
4. How does being in Jakob's house affect Ben?
5. What does Jakob think about as far as the Nazis' effort to dehumanize the Jews?
6. How does Ben find Jakob's study?
7. What does Jakob think about concerning a child?
8. How does Ben's father escape a Nazi camp?
9. What impact does being in Idhra have on Jakob?
10. What does Ben find in Jakob's study?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "Fugitive Pieces". Questions that Michaels most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Michaels' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Michaels' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Michaels and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
Essay Topic 2
"Fugitive Pieces" belongs to the historical novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the historical novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a historical novel and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Fugitive Pieces". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Michaels chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Michaels chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Michaels's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Michaels use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)