|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Jakob feel safe above ground for the first time?
(a) Camping out in a birch forest during an electrical storm.
(b) Laying a wreath where Athos' ashes are buried.
(c) Lying in Michaela's arms.
(d) Emerging from some caves he is exploring.
2. What does Jakob experience when he first wakes in Michaela's bed?
3. What does Ben picture about Jakob's journals?
(a) Why Jakob burns some of them.
(b) Where Jakob might have sat to write many of the journals.
(c) Where Jakob might have buried them.
(d) How Jakob was so faithful in recording in them every day.
4. Of what does being moral consist in the time of the Holocaust?
(a) The tiniest acts.
(b) The knowledge of what is happening and changing.
(c) Refusing to participate in evil.
(d) The greatest acts.
5. How does Jakob feel in Greece?
(a) A pariah.
(b) At home and forever a stranger.
(c) Completely at home.
(d) A prodigal son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ben imagine happening to Petra as a child?
2. What does Ben say the quest to recover someone's psyche is?
3. What is Bella doing in Jakob's imagination?
4. What does legend say the Manitoulins did?
5. What does Jakob note about how Jews live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jakob relate a theory by Einstein to the Holocaust?
2. What does Ben say about lightning?
3. What is Jakob's work in Greece?
4. How does Jakob "win" Naomi's heart?
5. Describe Jakob's visions of prisoners going to the gas chamber.
6. Describe Ben's futile search for Jakob's journals.
7. What are some facets to Naomi?
8. What does Michaela say about her parents and the pioneer museum?
9. How does Ben compare Petra's skin and lightning imprints?
10. How are Jakob's initial days in Greece?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)