|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the rabbi say when passengers ask his forgiveness?
(a) He offers forgiveness with stipulations.
(b) He offers forgiveness freely.
(c) He cannot give it as it was the man on the train who they ridiculed.
(d) They never ask forgiveness of the rabbi.
2. About what did Ben have nightmares?
(a) The grandmother becoming an SS trooper.
(b) The demon sucking his blood dry.
(c) Doors axed down.
(d) The hiss of gas.
3. What is the moral of the parable about the rabbi?
(a) Forgivness is not automatic.
(b) Be kind to all since you do not know if someone is an angel.
(c) Nothing erases an immoral act.
(d) Forgiveness is possible but penance is required.
4. What is the name of Jakob's work that shows Athos' influence?
(a) High Cliffs.
(b) Down Below the Water.
(c) Away is the Night.
5. How does Jakob feel when he returns to Greece?
(a) As if he were home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jakob experience when he first wakes in Michaela's bed?
2. Of what does the house remind Ben?
3. What does Ben say the quest to recover someone's psyche is?
4. How did people study the nature of lightening up to the eighteenth century?
5. How does Jakob's home influence Jakob?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ben compare Petra's skin and lightning imprints?
2. What is the parable of the rabbi traveling incognito and what is the moral of the parable?
3. Who visits Ben before he is five and what is the result?
4. Describe Ben's futile search for Jakob's journals.
5. How does being in Jakob's house affect Ben?
6. What does Ben recall about his father and mother when Ben is growing up?
7. What does Ben find in Jakob's study?
8. What is Jakob's work in Greece?
9. How does Jakob relate a theory by Einstein to the Holocaust?
10. How are Ben's parents described?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)