Book I, The Drowned City
• Jakob Beer emerges from the Beskupin archeological site. It is a bog, preserved in peat.
• It is deliberately smashed and buried by the Nazis. They had come for his family. He was small enough to hide.
• They killed his mother and father, and took his fifteen year old sister.
• Where he is hiding at the river he thinks he sees the spirits of the dead ascending.
• He feels his mother inside him saying goodbye. He runs into the forest where he hides during the day.
• He hunts for food at night and dreams of his sister, Bella. One day he senses that she has died.
• Jakob approaches a man who is digging, named Athos, who hides him under his coat and into his car.
• He is able to get Jakob out of there and takes him to Zakynthos Island, Greece.
• Bella remains inside...
This section contains 2,304 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)