|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes Tootsie cry?
2. What is the weather like on the day of the wedding?
3. Where does Peter imagine himself with Isobel?
4. What is Fudge's advice to deal with dizziness?
5. How does Dad make Tootsie stop crying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mrs. Tubman's hat?
2. What reason does Grandma give to reassure the children that the boat won't tip over?
3. What does Peter do when he gets into bed, the night after he visits the library and meets Izzy?
4. What does Izzy suggest Fudge should do, when the library doesn't have his book?
5. What will Sheila and Fudge's roles in the wedding be?
6. What does Mitzi think of mornings?
7. What sleeping arrangements do Mom and Peter make for Jimmy Fargo?
8. What turns Tootsie's feet blue?
9. What man-overboard system does Dad implement in case someone falls off the boat?
10. What story does Fudge recount that involved him going to the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in the novel are often insecure and worry about how others perceive them. Discuss insecurity in the novel.
1) What is Peter insecure about? Who does Peter worry might not have a good impression of him? Why? How does Peter react to his insecurities?
2) What is Sheila insecure about? Who does Sheila want to make a good impression on? How do Sheila's insecurities make her act?
3) What is Jimmy insecure about? Who does Jimmy worry might not have a good impression of him? How does Jimmy react to his insecurities?
4) What other characters display insecurity? What generalizations can you make about insecurity in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Big Apfel is Peter's hero because he is a former baseball player. Discuss heroes in the novel.
1) How does Peter react to his hero? How is this reaction beneficial and how is it harmful? Why does Peter react the way he does?
2) Why doesn't Jimmy feel the same way as Peter about Big Apfel? What causes Big Apfel to be a hero to only one of the boys?
3) What does Big Apfel provide for Peter, as a hero? What role does a hero play in a young person's development, growing up?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss conflict in the novel.
1) Why is there conflict between Sheila and Peter in the novel? What causes the conflict? How do the characters deal with it?
2) What other conflicts are there between characters in the novel, for example, the conflict between Dad and Grandma? What makes conflict worse in the novel? What resolves conflict in the novel?
3) What does conflict accomplish in the novel? Is it always bad? Can conflict have positive results as well as negative ones?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)