|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fudge do when the library doesn't have the book he wants?
2. What does Fudge plant in his garden?
3. How does Sheila suggest renaming the man-overboard rule?
4. What color bandanna does Fudge put on Turtle?
5. What promise do Sheila and Peter make each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mitzi and Fudge react when Sheila tells Mitzi to spit out the mud she licked off her fingers?
2. What does Fudge tell Mom happened to her lotion?
3. What does Peter do when he gets into bed, the night after he visits the library and meets Izzy?
4. What does Mitzi think of mornings?
5. What story does Fudge recount that involved him going to the hospital?
6. What man-overboard system does Dad implement in case someone falls off the boat?
7. What sleeping arrangements do Mom and Peter make for Jimmy Fargo?
8. What book does Mitzi show Fudge?
9. Why does Bob ask for Peter's name and address?
10. How do Fudge and Mitzi lose the wedding rings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Big Apfel is Peter's hero because he is a former baseball player. Discuss heroes in the novel.
1) How does Peter react to his hero? How is this reaction beneficial and how is it harmful? Why does Peter react the way he does?
2) Why doesn't Jimmy feel the same way as Peter about Big Apfel? What causes Big Apfel to be a hero to only one of the boys?
3) What does Big Apfel provide for Peter, as a hero? What role does a hero play in a young person's development, growing up?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss communication in the novel.
1) Why does Fudge have difficulty communicating that he's looking for his bird, Uncle Feather? What does Fudge still need to learn about communication?
2) What causes miscommunication between Mom and Peter? What are the results of miscommunication?
3) How does point of view affect communication? How do the differences in Peter and Jimmy's feelings about Big Apfel affect their communication about the baseball game?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in the novel sometimes lie. Discuss lying in the novel.
1) Why does Peter lie to his friend Jimmy? Why does he plan to cover his lie with another lie?
2) How do characters such as Peter and Sheila lie about their feelings? Why do characters want to hide their feelings?
3) Is lying ever kind in the novel? Are some lies worthwhile?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)