|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jimmy's favorite sandwich?
2. Who gives Jimmy a helmet to wear when he rides the bike?
3. Why doesn't Libby go to Bar Harbor with her family?
4. When Sheila comes back with her family after Jimmy has arrived, where does she head?
5. How many rows are there in the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Izzy suggest Fudge should do, when the library doesn't have his book?
2. What happens to Mrs. Tubman's hat?
3. What book does Mitzi show Fudge?
4. What does Mitzi think of mornings?
5. How does Sheila describe Izzy?
6. What man-overboard system does Dad implement in case someone falls off the boat?
7. How do Mitzi and Fudge react when Sheila tells Mitzi to spit out the mud she licked off her fingers?
8. What does Fudge tell Mom happened to her lotion?
9. Who does Big encourage, saying "Way to go," and why?
10. Where do Fudge and Peter go to browse in the library?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in the novel sometimes lie. Discuss lying in the novel.
1) Why does Peter lie to his friend Jimmy? Why does he plan to cover his lie with another lie?
2) How do characters such as Peter and Sheila lie about their feelings? Why do characters want to hide their feelings?
3) Is lying ever kind in the novel? Are some lies worthwhile?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss family in the novel.
1) What does family mean to Peter? How does he feel about his family? How do the members of his family affect each other?
2) How is Jimmy's family different from Peter's, and how do the two boys react differently to each other's families?
3) At the end of the novel, Grandma and Buzzy Senior get married. What does this marriage mean for the extended family? What does it mean to Sheila and Peter to become family?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in the novel are often insecure and worry about how others perceive them. Discuss insecurity in the novel.
1) What is Peter insecure about? Who does Peter worry might not have a good impression of him? Why? How does Peter react to his insecurities?
2) What is Sheila insecure about? Who does Sheila want to make a good impression on? How do Sheila's insecurities make her act?
3) What is Jimmy insecure about? Who does Jimmy worry might not have a good impression of him? How does Jimmy react to his insecurities?
4) What other characters display insecurity? What generalizations can you make about insecurity in the novel?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)