|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter do to scare Sheila when he joins her and Fudge?
2. What does Fudge say that Uncle Feather dreams of?
3. What worries Jimmy when he learns he might play baseball with an ex-major league player?
4. What is the minimum age to play in the baseball game?
5. After Sheila explains what a breeder is, what does Fudge ask about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peter think of Southwest Harbor when the family drives through it?
2. How does Peter try to convince his brother not to call him "Pete"?
3. How does Mom respond when Fudge asks if he can bring a friend on vacation?
4. How does Tootsie act?
5. How does Mitzi react when Fudge tells her that his real first name is Farley?
6. How does Fudge propose to Sheila?
7. Why is Fudge's questioning of Mrs. A about Uncle Feather confusing to her?
8. What holds Sheila up, when she tries to follow Fudge to Mrs. A's house?
9. How does Tootsie react when Peter pretends something is wrong with him?
10. How does Turtle react when Peter tries to take him for a walk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss communication in the novel.
1) Why does Fudge have difficulty communicating that he's looking for his bird, Uncle Feather? What does Fudge still need to learn about communication?
2) What causes miscommunication between Mom and Peter? What are the results of miscommunication?
3) How does point of view affect communication? How do the differences in Peter and Jimmy's feelings about Big Apfel affect their communication about the baseball game?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss family in the novel.
1) What does family mean to Peter? How does he feel about his family? How do the members of his family affect each other?
2) How is Jimmy's family different from Peter's, and how do the two boys react differently to each other's families?
3) At the end of the novel, Grandma and Buzzy Senior get married. What does this marriage mean for the extended family? What does it mean to Sheila and Peter to become family?
Essay Topic 3
When Sheila and Peter fight, Grandma points out that the children sometimes forget to be kind. Discuss kindness in the novel.
1) Why aren't Sheila and Peter kind to each other? How would their relationship change if they tried to be kind to each other?
2) How is Peter kind to Fudge? Why is he kind to Fudge? When and why is he unkind to Fudge? What are the results of Peter's kindness to Fudge?
3) When and why are the novel's other characters kind or unkind? What generalizations can you make about kindness, based on the novel?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)