|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fudge say that he's doing sitting on a tree branch?
2. What worries Jimmy when he learns he might play baseball with an ex-major league player?
3. Where does Peter suggest that he could go instead of on the family vacation?
4. What does Peter say will stop Uncle Feather from having bad dreams?
5. Why does Peter say that he follows Sheila and Fudge to Mrs. A's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mom suggest that Peter do while Sheila is babysitting Fudge?
2. What does Fudge do to stop conversations when someone disagrees with him?
3. How does Turtle react when Peter tries to take him for a walk?
4. How do the families react when Turtle gets sprayed by a skunk?
5. What is Peter's family's vacation house like?
6. How does Fudge initially react when Peter pretends something is wrong with him?
7. What argument does Sheila give to try to convince Peter to let her come along on the search for Uncle Feather?
8. How does Tootsie act?
9. How does Sheila react to Turtle?
10. Where does Jimmy say he is, before Peter gives Jimmy his news?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fudge-a-mania is a novel about growing up. Discuss growing up in the book.
1) How does Peter change over the course of the book? How does he change as he grows up?
2) How does Fudge represent childhood and Peter's past? What does Fudge show about childhood and being young? How does he need to change to grow up?
3) How do the adults in the novel show what it means to be an adult? What does Peter learn from adults? How do these lessons change him or help him grow up?
Essay Topic 2
Big Apfel is Peter's hero because he is a former baseball player. Discuss heroes in the novel.
1) How does Peter react to his hero? How is this reaction beneficial and how is it harmful? Why does Peter react the way he does?
2) Why doesn't Jimmy feel the same way as Peter about Big Apfel? What causes Big Apfel to be a hero to only one of the boys?
3) What does Big Apfel provide for Peter, as a hero? What role does a hero play in a young person's development, growing up?
Essay Topic 3
The pets in the novel play an important role in the characters' lives. Discuss the role of animals in the novel.
1) What role does Turtle play in Peter's family? How is Turtle important to Peter?
2) What role does Uncle Feather play in Peter's family? What is Fudge's relationship with Uncle Feather like?
3) What role does Jake play in the novel? What is the significance of Jake's relationship with Sheila? What is the significance of Jake's relationship with Turtle?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)