|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mom suggest Fudge can have his wedding?
2. What does Libby think is chasing her?
3. When Peter's mom talks about Shiela Tubman, how does Peter say it makes him feel?
4. What does Fudge say that he's doing sitting on a tree branch?
5. What does Fudge try to tell Buzzy Senior an embarrassing story about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tootsie react when Peter pretends something is wrong with him?
2. How does Tootsie act?
3. Where does Jimmy say he is, before Peter gives Jimmy his news?
4. How does Mom respond when Fudge asks if he can bring a friend on vacation?
5. What does Peter think of Southwest Harbor when the family drives through it?
6. What argument does Sheila give to try to convince Peter to let her come along on the search for Uncle Feather?
7. How do Grandma and Buzzy Senior get along when they first meet?
8. What does Fudge do to stop conversations when someone disagrees with him?
9. What does Mom suggest that Peter do while Sheila is babysitting Fudge?
10. Where does the family put Uncle Feather in the summer house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Sheila and Peter fight, Grandma points out that the children sometimes forget to be kind. Discuss kindness in the novel.
1) Why aren't Sheila and Peter kind to each other? How would their relationship change if they tried to be kind to each other?
2) How is Peter kind to Fudge? Why is he kind to Fudge? When and why is he unkind to Fudge? What are the results of Peter's kindness to Fudge?
3) When and why are the novel's other characters kind or unkind? What generalizations can you make about kindness, based on the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Fudge wants to be creative. Discuss creativity in the novel.
1) How does Sheila try to encourage Fudge's creativity? Is she successful? Does Fudge really have creativity?
2) How is Frank Fargo, an artist, creative? How does his creativity affect his responses to the world? What other characters are creative?
3) How does Peter try to encourage Fudge's creativity? How does Izzy encourage Fudge to be creative? What does creativity allow Fudge to do?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss names and naming in the novel.
1) What is the significance of Fudge calling his brother "Pete"? How does it affect Peter? How does it affect Fudge to be called "Farley" and why? Why are the characters' names important to them? What other nicknames do the characters use, and why?
2) How did Turtle get his name? What is the significance of this name?
3) What is the significance of Mitzi's book which has her name in the title? Why does Fudge want a book with his name in the title?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)