|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who left Abberline a letter with the bartender at Britannia?
2. Where does Chapter 12 begin?
3. What does Netley give to Liz?
4. What is strange about Gull's treatment of Liz?
5. How do the Masons hide Gull away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads up to Gull and Netley writing the letter "from Hell"?
2. Describe Gull's visions during his mutilation of Mary's corpse.
3. Describe Gull's trial by the Masons.
4. What discovery does Mary Kelly make in Chapter 8?
5. Why does Abberline give Mary Kelly money?
6. What does Gull do to Mary Kelly's body?
7. For what reasons is the deceased Druitt identified as Jack the Ripper?
8. Why is Liz's body not disfigured by Gull?
9. Who is Montague John Druitt?
10. What is in the letter Mary left for Abberline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mary Kelly's relationship with Abberline in the following format:
Part 1) Their initial meetings at the bar.
Part 2) Mary Kelly using the name of "Emma".
Part 3) Abberline's loan to Mary.
Part 4) Mary agreeing to a future sexual liaison
Part 5) Abberline's inability to recognize the dead Mary Kelly as "Emma."
Essay Topic 2
In what ways are the prostitutes in "From Hell" doomed from the very beginning? How does Gull's statement ("Do you understand how I have loved you? . . . I have made you safe from time, and we are wed in legend, inextricable within eternity.") relate to the lifestyle of the women? How is this seen with Dark Annie before her death? How does the rising fear in Whitechapel make it harder for the women to earn their money? How does the Nichol Mob contribute to the women's decision to blackmail? Were the women ever truly safe before? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the mistreatment of women in "From Hell" and how it relates to the overall class structure of London in this time in the following format:
Part 1) Annie and Polly's histories.
Part 2) Polly's family.
Part 3) The abuse of the Nichol Mob.
Part 4) Annie Crook.
Part 5) Sickert and Albert's relationship with the women.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)