|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, how is Mary Kelly earning a living?
2. Who does Thick arrest, believing him to be Leather Apron?
3. What sort of school does William Gull go to as a young man?
4. When Albert is being forced out of Alice's rooms, what title does Mary Kelly hear addressed to Albert?
5. Where do Sickert, Mary, Annie, and Annie's daughter travel to in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Whitechapel become gripped with hysteria at the end of Chapter 7?
2. Describe the inquest Abberline attends in Chapter 6.
3. What happens when Gull has a stroke in Chapter 2?
4. What theory does Thick believe, and why?
5. What comprises Gull's meeting to Sir Charles Warren?
6. What assumptions are made about Polly's dead body, and what discoveries happen at the morgue?
7. What conclusions does Alice's grandfather draw up concerning his daughter and the child?
8. What is Sickert's relationship with Mary Kelly?
9. Describe William Gull's childhood and years in school.
10. Why does Gull believe that killing the prostitutes is only the beginning for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do the Freemasons play in this novel? Why is their power so immense? How does their power, at times, eclipse even that of Victoria? How does Gull's involvement with the Masons relate not only to his heat-stroke, but to his cryptic message written by Liz Stride's body? How do the Freemasons effectively manipulate society for their own gain? How does this relate to the fates of Montague John Druitt and Gull?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of homosexuality in "From Hell" in the following format:
Part 1) Albert and Sickert's relationship.
Part 2) Albert soliciting sexual favors from his friends to ease his guilty conscience.
Part 3) Druitt and his dismissal from his school.
Part 4) The party Druitt attends.
Part 5) Mary Kelly's brief, lesbian relationships before her death.
Compose a clear thesis statement and use the above as a guideline.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways are the prostitutes in "From Hell" doomed from the very beginning? How does Gull's statement ("Do you understand how I have loved you? . . . I have made you safe from time, and we are wed in legend, inextricable within eternity.") relate to the lifestyle of the women? How is this seen with Dark Annie before her death? How does the rising fear in Whitechapel make it harder for the women to earn their money? How does the Nichol Mob contribute to the women's decision to blackmail? Were the women ever truly safe before? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)