|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did college campuses begin to offer marriage courses?
2. What magazine does the author assert created a hideaway for men in Chapter 5, "The Etiquette of Masculinity and Femininity”?
3. What book did Ernest Burgess write in 1939?
4. The sexual revolution was about the rights of who to express love sexually, according to the author in the Epilogue?
5. In the Epilogue, Bailey notes that it had been how long since the dating system lost its coherence and dominance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the category of “American youth” change from the nineteenth to the twentieth century?
2. What societal movement was Ernest Burgess associated with? What were the goals of this movement?
3. Who was blamed for the breakdown in gender identity? Why?
4. How were gender roles defined in the 1950s? How long was this view dominant in American society?
5. What role did the media play in reinforcing masculinity and femininity according to the author in Chapter 5, "The Etiquette of Masculinity and Femininity"?
6. What threatened gender identity in the twentieth century, according to the author in Chapter 5, "The Etiquette of Masculinity and Femininity"?
7. What were the strengths and weaknesses of marriage experts in the twentieth century?
8. What paradox of gender etiquette does the author describe in Chapter 5, "The Etiquette of Masculinity and Femininity"?
9. When did marriage education courses begin at the University of North Carolina? Who initiated this program?
10. How did physical displays of affection evolve in the early part of the twentieth century?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the origins, history, and evolution of the beauty industry in the United States. Prior to World War II, how was beauty marketed in the U.S.? How did ideals change for female beauty following the war? How was beauty depicted as a commodity to be purchased and sold?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the emergence of school proms and the etiquette and culture surrounding them. When did these formal dances first originate? How were they supervised? When and why did the traditions of corsages and boutonnières appear? What costs were associated with early proms?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of money in the early system of dating. Who controlled the money in the arrangement? How did this reflect power in the system? What were the standards of etiquette regarding money in the dating system?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)