|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author in Chapter 5, "The Etiquette of Masculinity and Femininity,” traditional etiquette dominated American manners from the 1930s to when?
2. What is the second of the six themes of courtship described by the author in Chapter 6, "Scientific Truth ... and Love"?
3. Parents responded to youth’s sexual freedom by limiting their children’s privacy and setting up what, according to the author in Chapter 4, "Sex Control”?
4. What term refers to the fear of emasculation in both the literal and metaphorical sense?
5. A sociologist from what educational institution was one of the most important members of the marriage-education movement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphors have replaced the metaphors of economy, according to the author in the Epilogue?
2. Who was blamed for the breakdown in gender identity? Why?
3. What threatened gender identity in the twentieth century, according to the author in Chapter 5, "The Etiquette of Masculinity and Femininity"?
4. What were the strengths and weaknesses of marriage experts in the twentieth century?
5. How did American youth come to define themselves after World War II? What tensions did this cause?
6. How did the sexual revolution change the currency of courtship?
7. How did the category of “American youth” change from the nineteenth to the twentieth century?
8. What innovations does the author describe in the sexual behaviors of youth between World War I and the sexual revolution in Chapter 4, "Sex Control"?
9. What role did the media play in reinforcing masculinity and femininity according to the author in Chapter 5, "The Etiquette of Masculinity and Femininity"?
10. How did Freudian psychology influence the perceptions of the sexes in the mid-twentieth century?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the courtship system of “calling.” When did this system originate? How did it evolve over time? What differences existed between the American system of calling and the systems in Europe?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the innovations of “petting” and “necking” in the early twentieth century. How were these terms defined by the youth culture? What did etiquette books say of these activities during the 1950s? When did perceptions of these actions change?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the tradition of dancing as a courtship ritual in the United States. When and where were dances held? What was considered appropriate etiquette on the dance floor? How did this etiquette evolve after World War II? Why did it change?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)