|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does the author say that a sociologist was one of the most important members of the marriage-education movement in Chapter 6, "Scientific Truth ... and Love"?
2. What became the symbol of youth culture according to the author in Chapter 4, "Sex Control"?
3. Where was Ernest Burgess born?
4. Beth Bailey asserts that courtship has been replaced by what in the book’s Epilogue?
5. What category does the author assert did not exist in the nineteenth century?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author note about the past twenty-five years in her Epilogue?
2. What reasons does the author assert that men and women submitted to the system of gender etiquette in Chapter 5, "The Etiquette of Masculinity and Femininity"?
3. How does the author describe the sexual behavior of youth in the early twentieth century in Chapter 4, "Sex Control"?
4. What did Ernest Burgess advocate doing in order to address the issue of courtship in America?
5. Who was Ernest Burgess? What did he argue about changes in American attitudes toward marriage?
6. How was the crisis of femininity treated in mid-twentieth century America?
7. How did Freudian psychology influence the perceptions of the sexes in the mid-twentieth century?
8. What role did the media play in reinforcing masculinity and femininity according to the author in Chapter 5, "The Etiquette of Masculinity and Femininity"?
9. What were the strengths and weaknesses of marriage experts in the twentieth century?
10. How did American youth come to define themselves after World War II? What tensions did this cause?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the emergence of the “large-breasted woman” as an American ideal of beauty and worth. When did this ideal originate? Who and what were responsible for this emerging ideal? Are large-breasted women still idealized? How related are breasts with the concept of sexuality in the media?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss advertising in the post-World War II era in America. What ideals were promoted to men and to women through advertising at this time? How did marketing and the media impact gender identities? How did the values of men who returned from the war change?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the tradition of dancing as a courtship ritual in the United States. When and where were dances held? What was considered appropriate etiquette on the dance floor? How did this etiquette evolve after World War II? Why did it change?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)