|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author in Chapter 2, "The Economy of Dating,” often competitive success in the dating system was demonstrated where?
2. What does Beth Bailey look to rather than conventions?
3. According to the author in Chapter 2, "The Economy of Dating,” the process of going steady factored out what?
4. Before the mid-1920s, what system was used to link women and men?
5. After World War II, what became a common practice according to the author in Chapter 2, "The Economy of Dating”?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what demographic does Beth Bailey align the system of dating in the Introduction?
2. What subject did Beth Bailey discuss on a talk show in the 1970s? On what show did she appear?
3. How did the importance of female appearance evolve during the twentieth century, according to the author in Chapter 3, "The Worth of a Date"?
4. How did the evolution of focus on female appearance impact consumption in America, according to the author in Chapter 3, "The Worth of a Date"?
5. How did the demographics of the sexes change during World War II? How did this affect courtship?
6. How was marketing involved in the evolution of women’s idealized beauty in the 1950s and 1960s?
7. How did the emergence of dating change the values of consumption, according to the author in the Introduction?
8. How did those in the upper classes view the dating culture of the lower classes, according to the author in Chapter 1, "Calling Cards and Money"?
9. How did dating change the power distribution of courtship according to the author in Chapter 1, "Calling Cards and Money"?
10. How does the author describe the process of a young woman’s coming of age in accepting callers in Chapter 1, "Calling Cards and Money"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the generational battles which emerged after World War II in America. What caused this divide between generations? How did the conflicts between the young and old affect the culture of dating? How did these conflicts affect the institution of marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss gender identity and its evolution in the past 100 years. How have “traditional” masculine and feminine roles been defined? When did these begin to change? What impact did those changes have on the culture of courtship?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the objectification of men and women in the 1950s. What were presented as “ideals” in the sexes during this time period? How did these ideals differ from perceptions prior to World War II? What role did American consumption play in this change?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)