|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before the mid-1920s, what system was used to link women and men?
2. Beth Bailey notes that contemporary women are sexually objectified based upon what in Chapter 3, "The Worth of a Date"?
3. According to the author in the Introduction, courtship includes many conditions, intentions, and _____________.
4. Going steady threatened parents who believed in what, according to the author in Chapter 2, "The Economy of Dating”?
5. In what decade did the Great Depression begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the emergence of dating change the values of consumption, according to the author in the Introduction?
2. What values were involved in the early system of dating? What was scorned within this early system?
3. How did the evolution of focus on female appearance impact consumption in America, according to the author in Chapter 3, "The Worth of a Date"?
4. How did marriage change in the 1950s and 1960s? How was marriage related to consumption?
5. How does the author describe the objectification of the sexes in contemporary society in Chapter 3, "The Worth of a Date"?
6. How was marketing involved in the evolution of women’s idealized beauty in the 1950s and 1960s?
7. The transition to dating as a courtship ritual emerged to accommodate what, according to the author in Chapter 2, "The Economy of Dating"?
8. How did dating change the power distribution of courtship according to the author in Chapter 1, "Calling Cards and Money"?
9. How does the author describe the process of a young woman’s coming of age in accepting callers in Chapter 1, "Calling Cards and Money"?
10. Why was sexual intimacy criticized as a means of human connection, according to the author in the Introduction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact of the Industrial Revolution on courtship in America and in Europe. Where did the Industrial Revolution spread after originating in England? What new demographic resulted from the Industrial Revolution? How did the emerging middle class impact the culture of wooing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the objectification of men and women in the 1950s. What were presented as “ideals” in the sexes during this time period? How did these ideals differ from perceptions prior to World War II? What role did American consumption play in this change?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the rise in American youth culture and the association of youth culture with sexual experimentation. How and when did the sexual behavior of youth begin to evolve? What led to this change? How was the media involved in this evolution?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)