|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The rules of dating were rooted in the idea of man as what, according to the author in the Introduction?
2. According to the author in Chapter 2, "The Economy of Dating,” after World War II dating was still a way to demonstrate what?
3. According to the author in Chapter 2, "The Economy of Dating,” the process of going steady factored out what?
4. According to the author, what settings were often the trend-setters in courtship trends?
5. According to the author in the Introduction, courtship was transformed as youth were freed from what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did money have in American dating when it emerged? How was a date defined at this time, according to the author in Chapter 3, "The Worth of a Date"?
2. What defined popularity in the world of courtship after World War II?
3. How did the evolution of focus on female appearance impact consumption in America, according to the author in Chapter 3, "The Worth of a Date"?
4. What subject did Beth Bailey discuss on a talk show in the 1970s? On what show did she appear?
5. How did the demographics of the sexes change during World War II? How did this affect courtship?
6. How did marriage change in the 1950s and 1960s? How was marriage related to consumption?
7. What arguments did experts make regarding the public nature of dating, according to the author in the Introduction?
8. How did the importance of female appearance evolve during the twentieth century, according to the author in Chapter 3, "The Worth of a Date"?
9. At what settings did the system of dating originate? How did this system spread?
10. How was marketing involved in the evolution of women’s idealized beauty in the 1950s and 1960s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of money in the early system of dating. Who controlled the money in the arrangement? How did this reflect power in the system? What were the standards of etiquette regarding money in the dating system?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact of World War II on the system of dating and courtship in America. What did “going steady” mean and why did it gain prominence after the war? How were women’s roles changed during and after the war? Why did they change?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the courtship system of “calling.” When did this system originate? How did it evolve over time? What differences existed between the American system of calling and the systems in Europe?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)