|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Friedman's next assignment after Jerusalem?
2. What do each of Friedman's four different groups or categories of Jews believe in common?
3. When do the Peace Day strikes occur?
4. What is the only Arab state that agrees to peace with the Israelis?
5. Whose bar mitzvah does Friedman attend in Ashkelon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Friedman say that his four different groups/categories can never work out what Israel stands for?
2. Has the subject of the Holocaust always been a subject of discussion in Israel?
3. What are the reasons that Israel, Jordan, and Palestinians want George Schultz to come to the Middle East?
4. Why was the intifada a significant event in the Palestinian movement?
5. What are three differences between the situation with the Egyptians and Israelis and the Israelis and Palestinians?
6. What is the difference the Six Day War made to Israel without them even realizing it at the time?
7. Why does Friedman say that the 1967 war was both a victory and in many ways a defeat for the Israelis?
8. What are the three goals of the Jewish leaders after the end of World War II?
9. Before the Six Day War, do Palestinians comply with Israeli rules in the occupied territories?
10. According to Friedman, is Israel a place to go to establish your Jewish identity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happened at Hama and why? What is its significance in Middle Eastern politics?
Essay Topic 2
What are the obstacles to any resolution of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Beirut before the civil war and during the civil war. What is a "fixer" and why does the author think a fixer is essential in Beirut? What is the Green Line and what role does it play?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)