|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Friedman decide to leave Beirut?
2. According to Friedman, the solution to the Palestinian-Israeli problem must be what kind of solution?
3. Israel and Palestine occupy news time out of proportion to their what?
4. Who attacks the Friedman's on their way to lunch?
5. How does Friedman's wife leave Beirut?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Friedman say that his four different groups/categories can never work out what Israel stands for?
2. What is the difference in the way Jews define or identify themselves in the United States vs. Israel?
3. How did Arafat and the PLO get involved once again in the Palestinian problem?
4. What is Friedman's view of the Middle East that is shared by many people in Washington?
5. What are the reasons that Israel, Jordan, and Palestinians want George Schultz to come to the Middle East?
6. What does Friedman tell us about the night he made the decision to leave Beirut?
7. When, why, and how did Friedman's wife leave Beirut?
8. Again regarding the relationship between American Jews and Israel, in what ways does the Six Day War change Israel?
9. In the epilogue, what does Friedman say about the Israeli/Palestinian situation with regards to settlement?
10. What are three differences between the situation with the Egyptians and Israelis and the Israelis and Palestinians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happened at Hama and why? What is its significance in Middle Eastern politics?
Essay Topic 2
What was the Six Day War? What were the results both short term and long term for all parties involved?
Essay Topic 3
Why didn't the withdrawal of Arafat and the PLO from Beirut bring peace to Lebanon?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)